Chapter XXIX

Collide
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER XXIX

**JUNGKOOK**

I stared oddly at my phone as soon as the line ended, and my home scree flashed on screen. I only called to ask Yerin-noona whether Yuna and Eunha already left but I was met with her weirdness instead. I mean who’s Rowoon? Did she mistake me for someone? I doubt that though.

I pocketed my phone and turned to leave the veranda and back to the living room where my parents and their guest were currently in.

“Did she go home safe?” mom asked when I entered the room. She knew I was calling to check on Yuna. Well, actually, everyone in this household knows I always check on Yuna whenever I tell them I’m going to make a call. It’s not a wonder anymore.

“Yerin-noona didn’t quite answer properly but I’ll call Yuna later.”

Mom gave a nod and shuffled to the side of the couch to give me some space to sit on. I did so and once I was comfortably seated, the smiles of Mr. and Mrs. Bae greeted me, their teeth flashing and their eyes ever-so friendly.

Psh, I know better.

“Jungkook, you’ve grown so well. How are you?” Mrs. Bae exclaimed in that disgustingly sweet tone. She always has this tendency to fake this amiability toward me whenever my parents are around. Who wouldn’t though? We’re probably their company’s biggest investors.

“I’m doing great. Thank you for asking, Mrs. Bae,” I replied, feigning the same kind of sweetness in my tone. She’s not the only one who knows how to fake it. Besides, I need to show my parents that I’m being polite. They do have no knowledge on what happened which made me despise the couple in front of us. They don’t know how much I loathe them for making my hyung suffer for their own benefit. They don’t know what this couple’s daughter did.

“That’s fantastic and I heard you’re still going strong with the Choi’s daughter?”

She has a name, I thought as my teeth gritted. I’m now trying so hard not to lose it and it’s actually difficult especially when I’m seeing face to face this woman who took part in hurting Taehyung-hyung. What’s more is that I’m even having a conversation with her. Talk about bad luck.

“Yuna…yes. We’re still together.”

Unlike the relationship you destroyed years ago, I wanted to add but kept my mouth shut instead.

“Does that mean we’ll hear the church bells ringing soon?” Mr. Bae joined in. His voice had the same fakeness in it as his wife and thus, I could say that they really are fit for each other. They’re both pretenders, acting like they’re the kind and loving couple but in reality, they’re nothing but selfish cowards who only act for themselves.

It was dad who answered for me after he gave off a light chuckle, obviously forced. I have to give it to him. Even he knows that the Baes are just putting on facades for their sake and he’s actually returning the favor, giving them the same amount of false delight.

“The kids are still in college. We’re all still waiting until they graduate before we could talk about matters of marriage.”

Mom nodded beside me and I’m sure Mr. Bae wasn’t expecting that kind of answer because his form retreated in mild embarrassment while his wife flashed us another one of her strained smile.

“It’s not like one of us is going anywhere far anyway so there’s no problem in waiting for the right time,” I added, clearly hinting on the event that occurred between their daughter and Taehyung-hyung. I could see the way Mrs. Bae’s eyes lost some of its shine at the indirect emphasis given on their actions three years back.

I smiled. There is no way I’m making them forget what they did, not as long as Taehyung-hyung is still hurting and definitely not as long as I live.

“R-right,” Mr. Bae agreed with his voice slightly quivering from mild tension. They know I know what happened. That’s why they’re being careful with me. I am this family’s only child. I’m next in line for our company. They can’t afford to get on my bad side, not when their company desperately needs our family for its survival.

They should have known better than to mess with me and hyung because I am not one to just let what they did slip before me. They need to answer for making hyung suffer.

There was awkward silence among us for a few seconds before mom broke it off by saying, “I heard your daughter will be arriving back here in South Korea this coming weekend. Is that true?”

Oh, right. I forgot about that for a minute.

The Baes instantly shifted back to their false delighted mood at the mention of Irene-noona and I could see that they’re glad the conversation went in another way besides the one where I steered it to. They should be grateful that I’m not in the mood to push it.

“Ah, yes. She is. She’ll be here in the afternoon of Saturday. How about our families have dinner together again at that day? It would be great if Irene could join us,” Mrs. Bae answered. I internally snickered. For someone who looks quite innocent, she’s really just as self-centered as her husband is. I mean I’m sure she’s just suggesting the idea to appeal more to my parents, their investors. I wouldn’t wonder anymore why they both fell for each other.

“I’m not available at that day,” I said.

They all looked at me with a questioning look and I straightened myself before giving the explanation they need.

“Taehyung-hyung and I have something to do,” I lied and the way the Baes’ eyes showed a hint of anxiousness as soon as hyung’s name came up was actually really entertaining. I could see how caught off guard they were by the statement. They probably weren’t expecting me to bring hyung’s name up especially when we have just been talking about their daughter. Well, it doesn’t work like that for me. I like seeing their tormented reactions whenever I remind them of the despise I have for their family.

“M-maybe some other time then,” Mr. Bae stated as he fiddled with his fingers and his foot nervously tapped the carpeted floor of the living room.

I don’t know if I’m being sadistic or not, but I am quite enjoying seeing the couple tense up before me. It’s both amusing and satisfying at the same time but the amount of fun I’m having now will never make up for the drunken nights hyung spent while hurting for what they and their daughter did to him.

“Although we do like it if your family becomes the first one to hear the news,” Mrs. Bae butted in. She flashed us her teeth once more, thrilled when she saw me look up at the mention of something interesting.

“News?” dad asked, also intrigued.

Mrs. Bae bobbed her head. “Exactly. She has something to tell everyone once she gets here.”

I’m no mind reader nor am I a fortune teller so I’m only hoping that whatever it is Irene-noona has up her sleeves won’t affect Taehyung-hyung in any way. He’s still recovering from the hurt. The last thing he needs is her getting in his way in moving on from a broken relationship.

Don’t worry, Taehyung-hyung. I won’t let you get hurt the second time around.

**YERIN**

“Bull’s eye!”

I let out another exasperated sigh at my third loss for the night. Taehyung and I decided to play a game of darts after he noticed that the game set was left unused in the living room ever since I moved in here. The alien was the one who suggested we play after we finished eating and washing the dishes and at the mention of a challenge, my system just couldn’t help but agree. Of course, before we started, we had to come up with a punishment. The loser gets to grant the winner three wishes. It wasn’t that bad, and I honestly felt confident with my skills in darts as I used to play it back in high school, at our school’s sports club room. Well, that is until I found out that Taehyung is at an extremely higher level compared to me. Heck, he could probably hit the center of the board with his eyes closed. So, now, I’m on the verge of being his genie for the night.

“One more win to go,” he proudly said as he removed his dart pins from the board. He threw me a cocky smile and I rolled my eyes. I am aware of how much of a loser I am compared to him. He doesn’t need to rub it in my face.

“I’m giving you a chance. You could either admit your defeat now or you could continue to play as the sore loser you are.”

I faked laugh at his statement before shoving him aside for me to start playing. There’s no way in hell I’m going to back out now. I’d rather see myself lose because someone played better than forfeit from the game because I know I lack the skills to win. I am Jung Yerin and I don’t give up that easily.

“You’re still going to lose,” he teased in my ear as he leaned in closer to my side.

Without even looking at him, I shoved his face away before I took a deep breath as I prepared myself to throw my first pin.

I heard Taehyung chuckle beside me and I didn’t even need to look at him to picture the arrogant look on his face right now.

“I wonder what wishes should I make once I see you lose.”

My free hand tightened itself into a fist as I tried to control myself from killing this idiot who can’t seem to shut up. I have just finished watching a drama about a psychotic murderer and maybe I just might become one myself if Taehyung won’t keep his mouth close.

I decided to ignore him and went on with focusing on the board instead. I aimed my pin at the board’s center, my desired target, and just when I was about to throw my pin, I heard Taehyung mutter probably one of my worst nightmares.

“Maybe I’ll wish another kiss from you.”

And then my pin flew flying out of my hands and onto the concrete wall, a few centimeters outside of the dart board, before it was thrown back at our direction. Specifically, it went past through Taehyung by a matter of an inch before it landed on the carpeted floor near the couch. It was so sudden that I even saw Taehyung flinch as the dart pin flew near his face, almost scratching his cheek.

It took him a few seconds to take in what just happened before he turned to look at me with eyes wide open.

“Were you trying to kill me just now?!”

My lips thinned. That was obviously not intentional although there’s a part of that’s thrilled that it happened.

“No. It just happened. I’m sorry,” I replied, and Taehyung pinched the bridge of his nose to calm himself before he pointed at the direction of the dart pin lying on the ground.

“That could have hit me on the face!”

I rolled my eyes. Isn’t he overreacting? It already happened and besides, he’s unharmed. There’s not a single scratch on his body and I already apologized.

“It’s because your words distracted me,” I reasoned out because in all defense, had he not said what he said about the kiss, I would have aimed better, and he would have been spared from the shock.

“Oh, so I’m the one to blame?” he sarcastically said while he took a step closer to me. He was obviously trying to use his height to scare me but I’m not one to cower. He is to be blamed for what happened. Period.

“If you just kept your mouth shut, I would have hit the board but NOOOOO~ You just had to say the most annoying things. Besides, can we just stop talking about kisses? It’s really irritating for my ears.”

I saw a smirk tugged on Taehyung lips and I knew right then and there that I just said the wrong words as he might have thought of a good comeback.

“Why? Does it remind you of the kiss we sha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter