Chapter I

Collide
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER I

*****

Yerin awoke to the usual sound of her mother’s yelling from the kitchen. Every morning, as if it was their ritual, her parents would always find time to bicker and shout at each other’s throats over petty things may it be because the other didn’t do the dishes the previous night, no one woke up early to prepare breakfast for the whole family, or even over the color of the other’s pajamas. Yerin swears her parents always have something to fight about. She wonders why they still stuck together and never filed a divorce after twenty years of living in constant quarrels and miscommunications. In fact, never have she heard them talk about going separate ways despite their situation.

“It’s probably because they both worry about us.”

Yerin let out a deep breath as she rolled her form to stare up at her room’s ceiling. It was painted white, just as she wanted it, even though her mom wanted it pink. She wasn’t the typical girly type anyway. She squinted her eyes a little as soon as she saw that there was already an adequate amount of sunlight seeping through. She casted a glance at her window and realized she forgot to lower the blinds last night before she went to bed.

“It has been a rough day at work yesterday.”

Mornings for Yerin had never been enjoyable. Those who look at life with sunshine on their faces everyday would probably like it, saying every new day means brand new beginnings. Well, Yerin could have probably put up with that mindset if not for her job. Thinking about being inside a tiny café for a straight ten-hour work with an unpleasant uniform and a erted boss never failed to cause shudders to run down Yerin’s spine. Not to mention her co-workers who seems like they were only there for display. She had to do all the work while all the others do is sit and talk about their crappy romance that she bet wouldn’t even last for a month.

“Yerin! Get your lazy down here and help make breakfast! Your father’s being a prick again!” her mom’s voice boomed all the way from the kitchen.

It’s not like their house was that huge though. In fact, it may even be too small for a family of six with only three bedrooms, one bathroom with a broken sink, and a small living room that’s directly connected to the dining and kitchen area. But those were some things she couldn’t help knowing her job’s pay is only enough to help support her family’s daily needs throughout the month and extras happen to Yerin’s pocket possibly only once in a blue moon due to her being the one buying maintenance medicine for her father’s hypertension.

“My past self must have murdered someone for me to have such a miserable life today,” Yerin thought as she pushed herself to sit up on her bed. She realized lazing around wouldn’t do good in her situation.

She glanced at the little clock hanging on the wall opposite her bed only to see she only got an hour left before she needs to leave for work. At the thought of another day at Boss’ Café, an involuntary sigh escaped her lips as she stood up to get herself over to the battle arena which is their kitchen where her parents are probably going at it again. Scratch that. It’s not probably but definitely. She’s a hundred percent sure they’re fighting again today. Her ears never fail her.

A plate came rushing toward Yerin as she emerged from the hallway that led to their kitchen area from the tiny stairs. If not for her fast reflexes, she would have found herself with a bruised eye and a broken nose.

“What was that for, mom?!” Yerin complained as she stepped foot inside the kitchen with a grumpy face. Her features were her asset if she remembered correctly what her boss once said. Damaging it would possibly cost her not only her face but also her job. She’s not vain, mind you. It’s called practicality. If her looks could mean earning money then so she may as well make good use of it.

“As much as I hated working for that erted old man with ty co-workers, that job provided so much for my family. I couldn’t just afford to lose it.”

“That was meant for your father.”

“Obviously…”

“What’s with you two this time?” Yerin asked as she took the pan of half-cooked scrambled eggs from her mother’s grasp after putting on an apron. Even though she wasn’t keen on the idea of her parent’s constant fights and she knows she couldn’t do anything to prevent them from fighting, she’d always make sure she knows what caused their arguments. It’s like she simply wants to keep up on the reasons without pretty much taking action. Weird, she knows. Well, everyone in this family is weird in their own way including her.

“Unnie, I just made a butterfly swim!” a little girl approached Yerin while tugging on her pajama pants with a bowl on her hands.

“See? We’re a family of weird people.”

Yerin threw on her sweetest smile at the sight of her youngest sibling, Eunhye who had the proudest look on her face over the fact that she just killed a butterfly by drowning it in a bowl of water thinking it was swimming.

“That’s great! You’re really good, Eunhye!” she faked while turning off the stove and setting the pan down before crouching down to pinch her little sister’s cheeks. “It’s no wonder we’re related.”

Eunhye giggled as she nodded her head in approval of her sister’s statement, unknowing of what a lie it was.

“Now, go release that butterfly outside and call Yoonjae and Yoonjung. Breakfast is ready.”

“Aye!” the little girl affirmed as she gestured a salute with one hand before running to heed her sister’s request.

Yerin smiled and shook her head in amusement as another yell erupted from the living room where she guessed her parents might be in.

“Oh yeah?! All you do is sell alcohol and chicken that isn’t even a hit in this neighborhood!”

“Well, it’s better that your cheap-looking knitted clothes!”

“Excuse you! These cheap-looking knitted clothes are what sustains this whole family because your business turned out to be a flop!”

“I make more money than you, woman!”

“Want to bet?!”

“Hell, yeah! Let’s bet on who gets to make more cash today! The loser gets to do the dishes for an entire month!”

“Bring it on, er!”

Yerin took slow calming breaths to maintain her composure as she listened to her parents’ exchange of words. Without considering the age, she might as well pass off as the most mature one in this household.

“Unnie! Unnie! Mom and dad’s fighting again!” Eunhye wailed as she returned to the kitchen with her two older siblings in tow, both bearing bored expressions like always.

“They’re not fighting! They’re…uhmmm…” Yerin looked at the other two in hopes of a help in thinking an excuse. Unfortunately for her, both Yoonjung and Yoonjae only shrugged in unison before helping themselves with the breakfast set on the table.

“Such nice siblings…” Yerin sarcastically thought before she gave Eunhye an endearing smile.

“I think they’re really fighting again, unnie,” Eunhye exclaimed as tears threatened to fall from her little eyes. “Mom and dad fighting is making Eunhye sad.”

A worried expression replaced Yerin’s cheerful demeanor as she eyed the youngest in their family, on the verge of crying over their parents’ immaturity. Such a sight was causing an unwanted pang in Yerin’s chest. She might have despised her life but she could never come to grow hatred on her family especially dear Eunhye.

“Shhh…don’t cry. Mom and dad aren’t fighting. They’re only teasing each other,” she reasoned as she bent over to wipe the tears from Eunhye’s eyes before they fall.

“Is that true?” Eunhye asked with a shaky voice, grabbing her sister’s hands in her own little ones with a hopeful look.

Yerin nodded. “Of course! Now, let’s have breakfast. We wouldn’t want an empty stomach now, do we? You need energy so you can play a lot in school.”

She tickled Eunhye lightly from the side eliciting a slight chuckle from the younger girl before she lifted her up with both hands and bringing her to sit on one of the chairs in their dining table.

“Yay! Scrambled eggs!” Eunhye cheered before quickly retrieving a fork to get a mouthful of the said food before her.

“Yes, unnie made it because she knows it’s one of Eunhye’s favorites,” Yerin proudly acclaimed as she sat down on the chair beside Eunhye.

Both Yoonjae and Yoonjung let out a snicker at the same time over her statement causing Yerin to cast them an unamused look as if telling them to shut it. She swore these twins lived to cause her additional trouble.

“But I love them anyway…” Yerin thought before her face softened to give the two boys a smile which they returned with grossed out faces, making Yerin chuckle.

Her life may not be the best but learning to live with it and making the most out of it was what Yerin decided to do. As long as she breathes, she reckoned she’s going to continue working hard both for her family and herself. She never knows maybe one day she’ll learn to fully love this life just as it is.

*****

“Sir, your mother is calling for you to come and have breakfast with her.”

Taehyung groaned and rolled over to the other side, hoping his annoying butler would get the idea that he was in no way willin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter