Chapter 24

Still Not Enough for You

 

Interesting.

 

The word that I would use to describe this morning.

 

I came to my office normally, just like any other days. But my eyes caught something different, and that ‘something’ laid on top of my office desk. I noticed it the moment I entered my office since it was placed right in the middle of my desk.

 

It was bright in color, definitely stood out in between the stacks of my dull files. I wasn’t sure what it was until I walked over to my desk, closer to the bright colored thing.

 

It was a large sized envelope, almost as big as my files, colored in bright sky blue color and printed with some flowers – which I noticed as daisies and some baby breath flowers – that made it look like a painting instead. It was simple yet beautiful, the sky blue color matched the flowers making them blend so well. I don’t think I have ever seen an envelope this beautiful before.

 

I reached out and grabbed it carefully, as if it was the most fragile thing I’ve ever held in my hand. I flipped the envelope over slowly to take a good look at the details of it before finding my name written across the front of the envelope in a beautiful calligraphy.

 

Curious, I opened the envelope by untying the ribbon-shaped knot that was used to seal the envelope by tying it around the envelope. It revealed a large white hardcover book; the white color was metallic as I could see it slightly reflect under the illuminating light.

 

And again, there was a sentence written in calligraphy on the front cover of the book. It said: “You’re Invited to...”

 

I inspected the book too, just like how I did with the envelope and apparently, the book only consist of one page. I placed the book back onto the table and opened it. To my surprise, the content of the book was actually one of those 3D pop arts that I usually saw on children’s story books – especially fairytales, the one where a castle would pop out when you flip the page.

 

But this was not a children’s story book, so there was no castle or any fairytales’ characters that would pop out from the page. Instead, it was a pop art that showed a guy and a girl standing next to each other – the girl wore a long white gown with a long transparent bridal veil covering her face, a small tiara attached to her hair and a bouquet of flower in her hands, while the guy wore a tuxedo with a tie around his neck.

 

The girl’s arm linked with the guy’s and from what I’ve seen so far, this has to be a wedding invitation. But the question was, who’s the couple?

 

My eyes went down, searching for the names of the bride and the groom. And I found it written underneath the guy and girl’s figure.

 

It was my sister’s wedding. With her boyfriend of five years.

 

I’ve never thought that I would see the day my sister was finally getting married, I could feel myself wiping invisible tears of happiness. My sister was the opposite of me, more carefree and daring. She has never been in a serious relationship before and definitely wasn’t one who wanted to settle with one guy only. Not that she was a player or what, but she always told me that she was not ready to commit in a serious relationship. And that she hasn’t found her one and only.

 

She dated a couple of guys and went out on a couple of dates back then. So, it wasn’t really a surprise for me that she got a boyfriend again five years ago. But what surprised me was that she was still with him until now and is about to get married next month.

 

I’ve never really believed that a long relationship defined one’s true love or his/her one and only, especially after what happened between me and Jiyong. But I guessed she had finally found hers and I’m very happy to hear this news.

 

I have a very close relationship with my sister back when we were still living together since we were only two years’ difference in age. We still maintained a close relationship until now, but we just got busier lately and we hardly have the time to contact each other. After all, she was on the other side of the world while I’m here. The time difference was also one thing that makes it harder to contact each other.

 

Heck, my whole family was on the other side of the world. My parents decided to move to New York and settled there permanently after my sister told them she would be settling there permanently after she graduated from Juilliard. Yes, Juilliard – because my sister was freaking talented.

 

She’s a cellist, a very talented one, and she played beautifully and gracefully. She developed her love towards cellos ever since she was still on elementary school. I remembered how she would drag me to the music room everyday after school and we would sneak in for her to play the school’s cello. We were not allowed to use it since it belonged to the high school’s music club.

 

Even in such young age, she already played perfectly– as if she was born to play the cello. And while she played, I would grab a chair and sat down in front of her and just admire her. It took us months of sneaking in to the music room before she finally gathered the courage to ask dad for her own cello. And I, of course, backed her up.

 

It took a long time before dad finally gave in and bought her a cello. But I guessed dad knew it was worth it – I mean, look at her now. A Juilliard graduate, made it to the top three in her batch and currently a rising cellist who constantly performed on many recitals and got many gigs offered to her here and there.

 

I have watched one of her recitals before I came back to Korea and I have to say that she killed it. The way that the music she played synced with her soul can be seen through the way her left hand pressed the strings and her right hand bowed the strings. So much passion, so much love, a pure perfection.

 

I looked up to my sister a lot, she was basically my role model. She taught me lots of things in life and we basically do everything together, I guessed I could call her my other half. Even back when I was a student exchange, I specifically chose to go to New York to be near her. Of course I wouldn’t be able to enter Juilliard, I have no talents like her. I got into a university near her and we lived in the same apartment.

 

We spent so much time together there, going places and trying new things. That was also when she first met Jiyong and Seunghyun. We all got along so well, especially her and Seunghyun. I’ve always thought that they have a thing with each other and probably would end up together, but I guessed I thought wrong.

 

Both of them were the perfect resemblance of a perfect brother and sister. My sister was the best sister that I’ve ever have while Seunghyun was like a brother figure that I’ve always wanted but never have. But he made it happen though, he became a great brother figure for me even though we were not related by blood.

 

It was hard for us when I decided that I wanted to go back to Korea to open a new branch for my boutique and focus there. I knew that by doing that, we would be separated for the longest time in our lives. But I took the risk and flew back to Korea. It was hard at the beginning, but we got used to it.

 

I learned to live by myself without my sister or my family on my side. Although I moved in with Jiyong not long after I came back to Korea, I still miss them sometimes and I’ve planned to visit them again sometime soon, but I guessed life gave me an amazing opportunity to see them again.

 

I admired the pop art once again; I’ve always known that my sister was very extra. It was not a surprise to me anymore if she would use something like this as her wedding invitation. My eyes landed on a small envelope attached at the below corner of the book.

 

I opened it and there was a letter folded into four. I unfold it and read the content of the letter:

 

To my dearest sister,

 

Hi, sis! I know you’re probably in shock that I’ve finally settled with one guy. But I guess I could finally say that I’ve found my one and only (if you still remember about this). He’s the guy I introduced to you a month before you went back to Korea. He’s sweet, much sweeter now, and he’s very much alike me. He’s adventurous and very daring, just like me. We went to lots of adventures and I can’t wait to go on more with him.

 

Anyway, I’ll tell you more about it when we meet again. I know you’re probably dying to know how he proposed to me, but be patience sis. All I want to say is that I would really be happy if you can come to my wedding next month. And congratulations! You’re my bridesmaid! I really hope you could come and please, bring yourself a plus one (I recommend a boyfriend but a guy friend will do too and definitely not a girl friend).

 

Thank you once again, and I really miss you sis. Can’t wait to meet you!

 

Love,

Your soon to be wedded sister.

 

 

I chuckled at her message, she was always so cheerful and bright. It was my first time seeing her describing her boyfriend as if he’s the love of her life – which he is, judging by the way he successfully asked my sister to be his wife. Usually, it would only be a simple explanation such as: “Ah, he’s cute” or “yeah, he’s okay. Not bad” whenever I asked her about her boyfriend.

 

But I could sense that this guy was different and not to mention, he successfully coped up with my sister to the point that they were going to get married soon. Even though I love her, I have to admit that she could be a handful sometimes.

 

My expression darkened when I read the part where she told me to bring a plus one. I don’t really mind if I have to bring a plus one, I could always ask Dara to go with me. Or maybe Chaerin? Considering that we were closer with each other now. What really bothered me was the fact that I can’t bring a girl friend, seriously?

 

I can’t help but to wonder who should I bring as my plus one, which was exactly what I’ve been doing until now.

 

Should I bring Seunghyun?

 

Nah, he probably got invited too and he would definitely bring Dara as his plus one.

 

Taeyang?

 

Or…

 

Jiyong?

 

I shook my head at the last thought. It was obvious already that I couldn’t bring him since he has a girlfriend. And having her came back from hell to pay me a visit – because according to her, I’m trying to “steal” her boyfriend – was the very last thing that I wanted.

 

“You look like you’re in conflict with your mind right now”

 

I jumped in shock – yes, I literally jumped – as I hear someone speaking out of nowhere. I whipped my head so quickly towards the source of the voice that I thought I had a whiplash.

 

Speak of the devil…

 

“What are you doing here?” I glared at him while holding my chest, my heart beating rapidly.

 

“Can’t I pay my friend a visit?” he grinned.

 

“You don’t seem like the type who ‘pay someone a visit’,” I air quoted, “judging from how busy you are”

 

He chuckled and shook his head, but not answering me back. Instead, he took a seat on the couch and made himself at home. He gestured me to approach him and I did.

 

“You didn’t answer my question” I said as I sat down across him on the couch.

 

“I decided to take a day off and spend it with my friend,” he smiled, “after all, I wanted to make our friendship works”

 

I raised an eyebrow. Him? Took a day off? For me? I must be dreaming. That was very uncharacteristic of him.

 

“Are you sure you’re not mistaken between me and your girlfriend?” I had to ask. It was better to take precautions just incase he realized that he was supposed to be with her, not me.

 

He gave me a look as if he was saying “seriously?” and I just shrugged. “I’m not drunk, I’m sober. I know where I should be. And that is right here, with you”

 

I could feel my heartbeat increasing and a blush was slowly starting to creep up to my cheek. Why was my office starting to get hot suddenly? I think I need to get the AC checked again.

 

“Suit yourself” I put up my best poker face and try to ignore what I felt just now, but I think I failed miserably because of the smirk that was plastered on his face right now. Nevertheless, I still chose to ignore him anyway.

 

I stood up from the couch and walked back towards my desk, attempting to do some work but I didn’t really feel like it. I felt him got up from the couch too and started walking towards me.

 

I could feel his presence beside me as I pretend to busy myself by sorting my files even though each and every one of them were already sorted out. “A wedding invitation?” I saw him opening the white hardcover book from the corner of my eye, revealing the 3D pop art again.

 

“Yeah, my sister is getting married” I muttered without looking at him.

 

“Go Eun noona?” for a moment, I forgot the fact that he knew my sister. I nodded at him, “yeah, who else?”

 

He didn’t reply me but instead, I saw him tracing his index finger across my sister’s and her fiancé’s name which were written underneath the pop art. His expression was unidentified; I couldn’t tell what he’s thinking about.

 

We both went silent again and I couldn’t seem to find a word to say to him. I sighed and mentally decided that I’m going to do some work instead of just awkwardly pretending to sort the files.

 

I grabbed a file and was about to sit down on my office chair when a hand stopped me from doing so. “No, no, no. I’m not taking a day off to just watch you work, you’re coming with me” he tugged on my hand.

 

“Wait, what? Where are we going? I have some work to do” I said, confusedly, but still following wherever he was taking me to.

 

“No you don’t, and don’t say that you’re sorting your files because I know everything is sorted out properly already. Besides, you’re already following me” he looked at me for a second, flashing his infamous smirk before looking forward again.

 

 

.

.

.

.

 

 

“Really, Jiyong?” I gave him a look that said exactly what I just said.

 

Half an hour drive, he took me to a park that I’ve never know existed before for a picnic.

 

Yes, picnic. You read correctly.

 

People might think that Jiyong was all about businesses and luxuries – wearing branded stuffs, only ate at expensive restaurants and hung out with famous people only. But for people like me, who knew him for a long time already, I could say that he’s not exactly that type of a person.

 

But what confused me was that he decided to take me out for a picnic out of the blue. Come to think of it, he was not wearing his usual business suit. Instead, he was wearing a plain white V-neck t-shirt and a long midnight black jeans that was ripped on both knees. He paired them with a pair of black sneakers, which I recognized the brand to be Adidas.

 

It has been God knows how long since I last seen him dressed in such casual style. He always dressed so formally, one that screamed business. I almost forgot already how good he looked in this style. And not to mention, that t-shirt really hugged his toned body well – his body might be not too muscular but at least it’s toned. This was exactly the Kwon Jiyong who I knew back in university days.

 

“I know we haven’t seen each other for so long already, but you don’t have to look at me like I’m the last gazelle in the wild that you can prey on” he smirked.

 

That smirk.

 

God, I wanted to slap it off from his face. But at the same time I couldn’t help the excitement that was tingling inside my stomach.

 

“Tsk, don’t flatter yourself” I looked away to avoid his eyes and busy myself by placing the blanket that he brought on the grass.

 

I heard him chuckle behind me but I chose to ignore it. Once I placed the blanket, I sat on it – mermaid style since I’m wearing a skirt. If only I knew that he would take me for a picnic, I would have worn jeans. It’s so hard and uncomfortable sitting on the ground when you’re wearing a skirt.

 

“Here” he handed me a shawl.

 

“What’s this?” I raised an eyebrow as I grabbed the shawl from his hand.

 

“To cover your legs, so you can sit comfortably without worrying that your might be exposed” he smirked again.

 

Well, that’s very thoughtful of him.

 

“Thanks” I flashed him a small smile in return and use the shawl to cover my legs so that I could sit cross-legged. It was big enough to cover from my shins up to my thighs, I could even wrap it around me like a skirt if I wanted to.

 

“So, what’s up with this picnic idea?” I asked. He wasn’t exactly the type who would randomly come up with an idea like this. Well, he was, before he devoted his time to working every day and night. He is a busy man now.

 

“Well, it’s a part of my plan when I said I wanted to make our friendship work,” he grinned, “and I know you love picnics too. We did it a lot in university”

 

So, he remembered…

 

It was true, we did lots of picnics back in America and even a few times before it. Even though our university was located in a busy city of New York, we would always drive to the countryside every spring break or summer break. It was a very peaceful holiday, a perfect way to spend our break – away from the busyness of the city and all the traffics and pollutants that came along with it.

 

Whether it was just the two of us or with our friends tagging along, we would always drive to a new countryside area every breaks. Others might spend their break by partying all summer or visiting another city, but this was how we spent ours.

 

“Reminiscing the past?” he stared at me, with a smile plastered on his soft lips.

 

“Yeah” I smiled. He knew me, after all these years, he still does. I figured there was no point denying it anymore since I’m pretty sure in his eyes, every emotions and thoughts of mine were written clearly on my face.

 

“Sandwich?” he offered me a pack of sandwich that he probably bought from Subway. Picturing him waking up in the morning and made us sandwiches was very much unlikely to happen. He could barely even wake up in the morning.

 

I nodded and took the sandwich from his hand. It looked delicious was what I thought as I unwrap the transparent wrapper around it.

 

“Before you judge me,” he suddenly said.

 

But I already did though…

 

“I didn’t buy this from the Subway,” he wiggled the sandwich, “I made it this morning”

 

And… he surprised me again.

 

“Yeah, alright” I chuckled and took a bite out of the sandwich. It tasted as delicious as it looked.

 

There was a silence between us – not the awkward one, but the comfortable one where we just enjoy each other’s company – as we ate our sandwiches. I looked around the park and this park was very quiet, not much people around. From the look of it, this park was still unknown to most citizen of Seoul. I mean, I didn’t know about this park until Jiyong brought me here today.

 

There were much more trees planted in this park, growing very tall and thick – blocking some of the sunlight which made the park chillier. But I like it, even in the middle of the day, it wasn’t burning hot. And the air around the park was still fresh.

 

A couple of birds can be seen around the park, flying from one tree to another. There was even a small bird house placed not far from us. It seemed like it’s the pigeon’s house since there were a lot of pigeons hanging around there.

 

“I know Taeyang always have lunch with you,” he said suddenly.

 

“What? How do you kn –, um never mind” of course he knew, they’re freaking best friends. I keep on forgetting about that.

 

“I wanted to have lunch with you too. But I don’t want to be mainstream”

 

“Huh?”

 

“I won’t do what Taeyang did. He always took you out for lunch everyday, I can do that too, but I don’t want to,” he took a bite from his sandwich. And when he swallowed it, he spoke again, “I want to have lunch with you once in awhile, but I’ll make it memorable. Not just a simple lunch at office, café or restaurant. I want something… different” he grinned at me.

 

Oh God… why you do this to my poor, poor heart?

 

I tried to bite back the smile that was creeping on my lips but I can’t. I mean, how could I not smile at such confession from him? He was so cute all of the sudden. I didn’t really think he would take this make-our-friendship-work thing seriously.

 

My mind couldn’t help but to wonder about my plus one for my sister’s wedding. Should I ask him? I mean, we can go as friends…

 

No, Park Bom. You can’t. He has a girlfriend, remember?

 

I sighed and decided to let it go. After all, I still got a whole month to decide.

 

“It will be better than what Taeyang did, I promise you” he said again and grinned, I think I melt right away. I guessed he must have been in a very good mood today. I nodded my head, smiling happily as I nibbled my sandwich.

 

But why did it sound like they were having a competition or some sort?

 

 

.

.

.

.

 

 

It was already past lunch time when he drove me back to the boutique. Time always flew by so fast when you were having fun and slowed down when you were bored to death – very unfair, I know.

 

“Thank you, for the lunch” I said as I unbuckled my seat belt. “And for driving me back” I smiled.

 

“You’re welcome” he grinned.

 

I was about to pull the door handle when a hand grabbed my wrist. 

 

“Bom, wait” he tugged my wrist, pulling me slightly closer to him – but not too close. I looked at him with a confused expression.

 

“I have something for you” he let go of my wrist and turned his body around to reach for something from his car’s backseat.

 

He let out a few grunts, struggling to grab whatever that he was going to grab from the backseat. I tried to hold my laugh as I saw him trying so hard, he even need to lift his from the seat a little bit in order to reach it. I didn’t know if the backseat was too far for him to reach or his hand was simply too short.

 

It took him a few seconds before he settled himself back on his seat. He retrieved his hand back and held out a bouquet of flowers in front of me.

 

A bouquet of flowers was placed at the backseat of his car these whole time? How could I not notice it?

 

I suddenly forgot about all the laughs that I’ve been holding back because of his silliness. I stared at the bouquet in awe. It wasn’t a regular bouquet of flowers – in fact, it didn’t even contain real flowers. I might not be really fond of flowers, but I knew enough about them to be able to distinguish between real or fake ones.

 

What made it non-regular was that the flowers were arranged to become the shape of a frog’s head – a very cute frog’s head. The flowers were green in color for the face and some black ones for the eyes. If I could rate the cuteness of it from the scale of 1-10, I would rate it 100.

 

“I bought this for you,” he handed the bouquet to me and I accepted it. “I know you don’t really like real flowers because they won’t last long or something like that, so I got you paper flowers instead” he grinned. I think I lost count of how many times he grinned today.

 

“They last longer and I know you love froggies too. So, I got it customized. I hope you like it”

 

Oh boy…

 

He really wasn’t joking when he said he would make our lunch memorable, wasn’t he? I should’ve known.

 

“T – Thank you…” I stuttered, seem like my mouth forgot how to function. “I like it”

 

“Good to know then” he smiled sweetly.

 

I could feel a blush was starting to creep up to my cheek again. And that was the cue for me to get out from his car before he sees me blushing.

 

“Bom?” his hand stopped me once again from opening the door. “I’ll see you on our next lunch?” he asked. But it sounded more like a statement to me rather than a question.

 

“See you on our next lunch, Jiyong” was all that I said before I opened the door and got out from his car.

 

For the first time again after two years, I was actually looking forward to see what he has planned.

 

 

--------

aww, i can't find it in my heart to hate Jiyong even though he's an T_T 

 

.

.

Thank you for reading and supporting my story, i hope you like it so far! 

 

Don't forget to leave a comment and i would really appreciate it if you guys vote for my story ^^