Chapter 18

Still Not Enough for You

 

The perfect way to start a morning when you’re travelling is with a delicious breakfast with an overwhelming morning view or a morning swim in the wonderful hotel pool, which gives me an aesthetic pleasure just by seeing the view of it through my window. But that only works for most people, I’m an exception. Watching countless boring security footages and ordering breakfast from the room service is how I spend my morning in Tokyo.

 

I woke up a little bit early today to start on my investigating mission and if my calculation is right, I have spent almost three hours of my morning going through all the footages that are available inside the hard disk. It’s not much, just a bunch of 24 hours long footages. I figured that if I didn’t start sooner, it will require me to stay here longer. And that means I need to delay my works back in Korea. Besides, this problem is certainly not going to solve itself anytime soon.

 

I’m glad that Taeyang would stop by at lunch time to accompany as well as help me. It would be just like watching Netflix, except our Netflix is the limited edition one. What could be better than watching a bunch of cameras recording the same spot.

 

Speaking of which, I kind of remember that I had an encounter with Jiyong last night and that he asked me to go out for dinner tonight. I thought it was just a weird dream of mine, but apparently one text from him confirms everything.

 

[I’ve planned a perfect place for us to spend tonight. I’ll pick u up at 7? What’s ur room number?]

 

I can’t believe I actually agreed to this…

 

Never in a million years I would’ve thought that me and Jiyong could start over and be friends again. I couldn’t even imagine how Dara would react once I told her this, I’d rather not.

 

[7 it is. I’m in room 407]

 

I put down my phone and get back to business again. So far, I’ve watched five footages in a row and I’ve done some editing to it to increase the speed. I couldn’t bear watching the full-length footage, my eyes would probably fall out if I do so.

 

I didn’t really find anything suspicious through the entire footage. Just like Dara mentioned to me, I guess they really didn’t find anything suspicious on the footage.

 

But I’m not set on giving up yet, there must be something that I can find. Something that everyone failed to see, even the slightest of oddness, I’m going to find it. I focus back onto my laptop screen, paying extra attention to the details, while munching away the pancakes that I ordered. One can never focus properly without some food intake, right?

 

 

.

.

.

.

 

After spending another three hours watching the footage, I have finally narrowed down my list of to-be-watched footages into just three remaining ones – which is also the very recent one.

 

I decided to take a short break since my eyes are getting tired. I put aside my laptop and plug in the charger, I didn’t realize that the battery almost died. I also did some stretches to loosen up my muscles, sitting on the same positions for more than an hour sure does make your sore – even though you’re sitting on the bed.

 

I check the clock and I’m surprised to see that it is almost past lunch time. I wonder why Taeyang isn’t here yet. Since I didn’t plan on going out for lunch, I might as well order some food from the room service for both of us.

 

But just as I’m about to pick up the phone, my doorbell rings. “Coming!”

 

I jogged towards the door and peek through the peephole as usual before opening it. “Finally, I’ve been waiting so long for you” I greet Taeyang as I opened the door.

 

“I’m sorry I took too long. I got too caught up in my work” he said nervously.

 

“It’s okay. Come on in” I waved at him, gesturing him to come inside. “I was just about to order some food. Do you want some?”

 

“From the room service?” I nodded, “nah, I’ll pass. How about we order a Chinese takeout? There’s a good one nearby”

 

“Aww… the foods in the hotel’s menu looks good though” I frown, “but it’s okay. I still have few more days to enjoy it”

 

Taeyang smiled when I agreed to order Chinese takeout and begin to make a phone call. I plop back down onto the bed and close my eyes as I hear Taeyang speaking on the phone. I heard him stating a couple of menus that he wanted to order and all of them sounds tempting. I just hope that the foods are as tempting as their names sounds like.

 

“So, how’s the progress today?” I felt the edge of my bed bounce a little. I opened my eyes and see that Taeyang took a seat there. “I barely find anything” I sighed and close my eyes again.

 

“Don’t give up yet”

 

“I’m not giving up, I’m just taking a break” I opened my eyes and grab my laptop, handing it to him. “Why don’t you continue it while we wait for the food?” I grin at him.

 

He chuckles and take my laptop. I went back to lay down and close my eyes again. I can feel him shift on the bed and then the sound of him typing on the keyboard of my laptop can be heard. Unconsciously, I fall asleep a moment later.

 

 

.

.

.

.

 

 

“Bom, wake up” I stir slightly in my sleep, “the food is here” 

 

I slowly wake up and open my eyes, rubbing it while yawning. I felt a slight tiredness on my eyes still – the kind that you felt when you’re being woken up suddenly in the middle of your dream.

 

When I’m fully awake, I turned to my side and was greeted by Taeyang’s eyes. “Hey” he smiles, “did you sleep well?”

 

“Ugh, not really… I’m still tired” and that’s when it hit me, “I fell asleep? For how long??” I said, a bit startled.

 

Please tell me I didn’t overslept…

 

“Not long, maybe about 40 minutes” he said while looking at his watch, “why? Are you late for something?”

 

“Ah… no” I hesitated to tell him about my night out with Jiyong, “anyway, where’s the food? I’m starving” I tried to change the topic to avoid him questioning me.

 

He looked at me for a few seconds with an unreadable expression on his face before finally walking over to the mini bar to take both of our foods.

 

“Here,” he hands me a box of the Chinese takeout, “I hope you like it. It’s one of my favorite takeout here” he flashed me his usual eye smile.

 

I take the box from him and open it. Right when I open the box, I could feel myself drooling over the food already. It looks like a meal packed by God Himself. It looks so mouthwatering and it is exactly the kind of food that I like.

 

I didn’t wait any longer and straightly begin eating my food. And boy, the moment I take a spoonful bite out of it, I immediately fall in love with it. Forget hotel’s food, this is the best thing I’ve ever tasted in Japan so far.

 

“Whoa, slow down or you’re gonna choke yourself” Taeyang chuckles. I blushed and tried to slow down, it has been kind of a habit for me to eat so fast when I’m eating something delicious.

 

We continue to eat in silence until we finish our food. I help him clean up and put back all the boxes inside its plastic bag again for easy disposal.

 

“So, any progress when I’m asleep?” I asked when we finished cleaning up.

 

“Yes, actually I found a clue that might lead us to the culprit” my face lights up when he said that, it really gives me a ton of hope. I’ve been searching six hours straight for some clues but I got nothing.

 

“Okay let me show you,” he takes my laptop and begin searching for the footage that he meant. I saw that he renamed five footages and even gather them into one new folder, probably to mark the clues that he found. “Take a look at this” he shifted my laptop screen to face me.

 

It is the footage from a week ago – around 10.30 p.m. – which is a little past the boutique’s closing time. I watch as he plays the footage. There’s nothing weird to be honest, just one of my employees cleaning up and closing the boutique.

 

“What about it?” I said confusedly.

 

“Look at her,” he points to the screen, “do you know her?”

 

“Yeah, she’s the newbie there. I hired her a month ago, I think”

 

“Now, if you switch to these other footages,” he opens back the new folder that he created and points at all the other footages that are in there too. “You’ll see that she’s always the last one out of the boutique. Did you happen to assign her to close the boutique every night?”

 

“No, that is the manager’s job. I’ve never assigned anyone else” I feel like one of the puzzle pieces inside my head is slowly starting to connect. But I can’t make any assumptions, let alone accusations, since I don’t have a strong proof yet.

 

“Then why is this girl in charge of that?” we both went into silence.

 

“I guess we should try harder next time…” I sighed. The thought that we both have just wasted almost a whole day to find just a single clue that leads to nowhere yet, makes me want to smash my laptop. But I know I need to keep my calm. So, I tried to look for some positivity in it to forget my anger.

 

There was a silence between us for a good five minutes before I finally remembered that I have to go on a dinner with Jiyong. I check the clock and it’s already 5.30 p.m., I need to get ready as quick as possible.

 

Luckily, this morning I have prepared the clothes that I wanted to wear tonight. I’ve already predicted that this will happen so I decided to prepare everything in advance. I quickly take my clothes and towel before heading inside the bathroom to take a shower. I even forget to say something to Taeyang, but I couldn’t care about that right now. I need to get ready before Jiyong picks me up.

 

 

.

.

.

.

 

 

After an hour, I finally got out of the bathroom, all dressed up and dolled up. I put on a simple but elegant dress that I’ve packed just in case something like this came up. I’ve always been like this when it comes to travelling, packing some clothes or things that I probably don’t even need on my trip. But hey, they can come in handy – just like the dress I packed for tonight as well as the swimsuit.

 

To my surprise, I saw Taeyang is still here – sitting on the bed while playing his phone. I’ve assumed that he will be gone by the time I finished getting ready, but here he is, still waiting for me I guess.

 

“Wow… you look beautiful” he said when he noticed that I came out from the bathroom. “Are you going somewhere?”

 

“Thanks… and yeah” I said, still blushing because of his comment. “I’m sorry, I rushed to the bathroom earlier without saying anything”

 

“That’s okay. Where are you going?” oh right… I just remembered that he doesn’t know that I would be going out with Jiyong tonight. I paused for a moment to look for the right answer to his question. I don’t feel like telling him the truth yet.

 

“I’m going for dinner… with… with a friend. Yeah, a friend of mine” I smiled, trying to sound like I’m not nervous at all.

 

He looked skeptical for a moment, but before I can reassure him that I’m really going out with a friend, the doorbell rings.

 

No… it couldn’t be him, right…?

 

“I’ll get that” I quickly walk towards the door before Taeyang could. I peek through the peephole and prayed that it’s just the room service guy, but I think luck is not on my side, it is indeed Jiyong.

 

I closed my eyes and take a deep breath. Why do I feel like I’m going to be caught red-handed for doing something wrong when it’s actually not wrong?

 

“Hey Bom! I’m sorry I came early. I couldn’t wait any longer” he greeted me excitedly when I opened the door.

 

“Hi… it’s okay,” before I could say anything else, a hand grabs the door handle from behind me and opened the door wider.

 

I step aside, revealing Taeyang. There’s no point of hiding or lying about this anymore, I don't even know why I'm hiding this in the first place. 

 

There was a silence between us and a staring competition is currently occurring between Taeyang and Jiyong.

 

“What are you doing here?” Taeyang finally said, his face looks serious.

 

“I could ask the same thing to you, bro” Jiyong smirk.

 

“Is he the friend that you’re going to have dinner with, Bom?” Taeyang turn to face me this time. I can see that his eyes soften when he looks at me.

 

“Ah… y – yes…”

 

“Alright then, I’ll get going first” he went back inside to grab all his belongings. Before he steps out from my room, he stops to look at me again, “have fun Bom, you deserve it” he gives me his eye smile, which makes me feel much better.

 

Once he left, I went inside to grab my purse and head out with Jiyong too.

 

 

.

.

.

.

 

 

I still can’t believe that I’m actually hanging out with Jiyong again. I look to my side to see Jiyong, and I found myself observing his face. He has grown much more mature compared to back then. I also noticed that he shaved his face clean now, it brings back old memories. I remember those times where he would always shave his face every time we’re going out on a date. It’s because he knows that I love it and I would always tell him how handsome he is or how he looks fresher in our pictures.

 

I secretly still hope that he remembers that and that it would be the reason why he shaved his facial hair tonight. I know it sounds silly and he probably won’t remember it anyway.

 

“You know, you’re going to drool soon if you keep on staring at me like that” he said without looking at me.

 

I look back to the front immediately and pretend that I didn’t stare at him just now. “You look beautiful, by the way” he looked at me for a second and give me his best smile before focusing on driving again.

 

“Thanks, you… look handsome too” I shyly said. I’ve tried my best to keep my cool even though I can feel my cheeks are burning hot right now. I looked away to stare at the view of the road outside the car’s window to hide my blush.

 

We have been driving for quite awhile now, I wonder where he will bring me. Unlike him, I don’t really know my way around Tokyo. I’ve been here a couple of times before but I’ve never memorized the routes around here. The only thing I know is the area around my boutique and maybe I’m starting to remember the route to YB Hotel now.

 

“Alright, we’re here!” Jiyong said as he stopped his car in front of a very fancy looking lobby. I was lost in my thoughts while staring at the roads and I didn’t realize where we’re going. “May I?” he takes out a handkerchief from his pocket. It took me a few seconds to realize that he wants to blindfold me.

 

“Oh, okay” I turn around until my back is facing him and let him blindfold me. This scene reminds me of who Jiyong is, a romantic guy who loves to surprise his girl. Although I wouldn’t say that I’m his girl, but you get the idea.

 

After he finished blindfolding me, I heard him got out from his car and soon the door besides me is opened. I can feel Jiyong’s hand taking my hand, helping me to get out of the car. The coldness of his hand touches my skin – like the moment when you suddenly touch a cold railing – it’s cold but it sends a pleasurable sensation where you just want to keep on touching it.

 

We stopped for a moment and I can hear Jiyong’s voice talking to the valet guy. I can feel the cold night breeze blowing at my skin, causing my hair to stand up. It sends a light shiver to my body, reminding me that I forgot to bring any sorts of coat or cardigan. I immediately hug myself to keep me warm.

 

Thank God it didn’t take long before Jiyong helped me to walk again and soon we’re inside the building, I can feel that it is much warmer now. I still can’t see a single thing, but I can hear that there are some other people around us. I probably gained a lot of stares right now, I mean, who wouldn’t stare at a random blindfolded girl walking around. The only things that I can hear are the sound of my heels clicking on the floor as I walk, the sound of the people around me and Jiyong’s voice guiding me.

 

“We’re about to step into the elevator, so follow my guide and watch your step” as soon as Jiyong finished his words, I heard a ‘ding’ sound coming from my front followed by the sound of doors opening.

 

I walk slowly and very carefully while being guided by Jiyong. He keeps on holding my hand, guiding me and telling me when to take a step, when to stop or when to turn.

 

I can feel the elevator started to move upwards, lifting us to wherever he’s taking me to. The place that we’re heading to must’ve been on the higher level of this building because the elevator ride took quite a long time. I can feel that my ears started to turn deaf – the kind of pressure and pain you feel in your ears during a flight – it’s really annoying because I have to try so hard to make it ‘pop’ so I can hear normally again.

 

A few seconds later, the elevator finally stops and he guides me to step out of it again. Now, this place is definitely very quiet because I don’t hear anything else besides the soft music that is playing through the sound system and Jiyong’s voice.

 

“And... we’re here!” he let go of my hand and I can feel him standing behind me. “Ready?” I felt his hand on the back of my head, ready to release my blindfold. I nodded and he immediately untie the knot and my blindfold fall off from my face.

 

It took me a few seconds to adjust my eyes to the lights inside the room. It’s pretty dim but I guess I’ve been seeing complete darkness for quite some time.

 

When my eyes are finally adjusted to my surroundings, I can now see clearly what his surprise is. Right in front of me is a dining table for two, covered with an elegant white cloth and decorated with a candle and a flower as the table setting. It’s simple and romantic, just the way I like it.

 

There’s only our table in the middle of the room and the rest of the rooms are filled with colorful flower arrangements. It really compliments the table and definitely filled up the empty spaces of the room.

 

“This is beautiful…” I couldn’t keep my eyes off from the room. It’s like I’m hypnotized by the beauty of it.

 

“I’m glad you like it” Jiyong smiled. He steps forward and went to pull out one of the chairs. “Ladies first”

 

I chuckle and approaches him, taking a seat on the chair that he pulled out. This definitely brings back good old memories with him, which makes me realize that we have done so many wonderful things together.

 

“Look up, Bom” he nodded upwards while smiling. I followed his instruction and look up to see that the roof above us is actually a skylight. It must be my lucky night because the sky of Tokyo is filled with several shining stars tonight. It almost looks like a mini galaxy above us. Once again, I couldn’t help but to smile and being mesmerized by the view.

 

“Excuse me sir and ma’am” I look back down to see a waiter standing beside our table, “welcome to our restaurant and please enjoy this wine while we prepare your meals” he placed two wine glass in front of us and pour us some red wine. It has been awhile since I last had wine and I definitely miss the taste of it.

 

The waiter then excuses himself after he finished pouring our wine. “I’ve ordered our meals in advance, I hope you don’t mind” he smiles.

 

“Not at all, I trust your choices of food” Jiyong always has a great taste when it comes to food, I trusted him with every food that he had ever ordered me and all of them are not disappointing. I’m sure he knows what I meant when I said that.

 

“To our new friendship?” he lifts his glass for a toast, “to our new friendship.” And we both clinked our glass.

 

I took a sip of the wine and I felt like I’m tasting heaven. “It tastes wonderful” I took another sip of it.

 

“Thank you, I hand-picked it myself” he chuckles.

 

“How about we take a picture together while we wait for the food?” he suggested.

 

“That’s very rare of you to ask that” I chuckle. He raised his hand and signaled the waiter to come to us. Jiyong took out his phone and hands it to the waiter, asking him to take a picture of us. The waiter nods and Jiyong stands up, offering his hand to me.

 

I gladly take his hand and he guides me to the spot where we will be taking the picture. After we found a perfect place to stand, we immediately pose for the picture. I stand closely to him while he placed his hand around my waist.

 

The waiter counts to three and I put on my best smile before he snaps our picture. The waiter snaps our picture for a few more times before handing back Jiyong’s phone.

 

“Let me see the picture!” I said happily as we sat back down on our seats. Jiyong hands me his phone to see the picture and it was perfect. Both of us standing under the shining stars and surrounded by many flower arrangements, so beautiful. Our background really stands out and the photography skill of the waiter compliments it well.

 

“I love it, don’t forget to send it to me” I hand back his phone.

 

Not long after that, the waiter came back with our meals and placed it in front of us. A plate of fettuccine with carbonara sauce for me and a plate of steak for Jiyong.

 

“I know you love pastas, so I hope you like this one” he said.

 

“Well, this happens to be exactly my favorite kind of pasta” I chuckle.

 

We begin eating our food and I have to say that the food is quite delicious. I expect my pasta to taste the same like every other fettuccine carbonara that I’ve tasted but this one surprised me. I didn’t quite know how to describe the taste but it is definitely unique.

 

“So, why did you choose this place?” I try to start a conversation with him.

 

“Hmm… I remember a certain someone telling me that she would love to have dinner on a rooftop a few years ago” he said, which makes me blush. I know exactly who that ‘certain someone’ is. “I wanted to take her out for a dinner like that but something happened between us. So I figured, why not take her here now”

 

“I’m sorry if this is not exactly an outdoor rooftop like how you wanted it” he smiles nervously, “I tried my best to find a place that is similar”

 

“It’s okay, this place is already beautiful” I grin.

 

“I’ll try to take you to a real rooftop dinner next time”

 

“Is that your excuse to take me out again?” I smirked at him.

 

“Guilty as charged” he laughs.

 

We both continue to enjoy our dinner and even talk about so many things. It felt nice to have him back, even though as a friend. I spend so many years of my life with him and it would be a lie if I said a part of me is not missing when we parted ways.

 

We also catch up a little bit here and there about our lives, but I tried to avoid asking him about his love life. I don’t think I’m ready to talk about that or to hear about her now. And I think Jiyong realizes that too, he also tried to avoid bringing up conversations about our love life. Awkwardness between us is not exactly the thing that I want to add into my list tonight.

 

He also didn’t forget to ask me about my progress on the problem that my boutique is facing right now. This time, I didn’t hesitate to tell him everything. Including the very small progress that both me and Taeyang made after spending hours to search for clues. I also told him about the one and only clue that we managed to find today.

 

Jiyong kept quiet and let me talk until I finished telling my story. He didn’t even once interrupt me and that’s what I like about him, he is a very good listener. Sometimes, he could be a great advisor too. I admit that I really enjoy tonight with him, we laughed and talked just like in the olden days. I really wish the night will never end. That we will never have to face tomorrow and go back to the reality again.

 

“Can I take a look at the footage that you told me about?” he suddenly asked.

 

“Really, Jiyong? You’re gonna talk about that after I told you how stressful I am with it?” I started to feel annoyed.

 

“No, Bom. I’m trying to offer you some help, I think you need it” he smiles, still remaining calm even though my tone of voice has changed into an annoying one.

 

I think about it for a moment before taking out my phone and showing him a few copies of the recent footages that I’ve sent to my phone. “I guess an extra help won’t hurt. These are the very recent footages that I have”

 

His face turns serious suddenly when he starts watching the footages. There was a silence between us and I keep on looking at him, waiting for him to finish watching and hopefully, give me some more clues.

 

I saw him scrolling back and forth between the three footages that I showed him. I don’t know why but I’m getting more nervous each minute. I really hope he finds something that me and Taeyang failed to find.

 

“Tell me, Bom” he starts speaking while still looking at my phone, “after all those hours of watching these, do you happened to see this?” he showed me the footage on my phone.

 

At first I didn’t quite see what he wanted to show me, but he probably sensed my confusion, so he helps me by pointing what he meant.

 

“Is this what I think it is…?”

 

“Yes, Bom" he smiles, "I think I found what you’ve been looking for”

 

 

-------

yay Jiyong to the rescue! 

ANYBODY WANTS A DOUBLE UPDATE????

 

let me know in the comments if you want it and i'll update it in the next few hours ;) 

 

Thank you for reading and don't forget to leave a comment! ^^