TWO

It All Started That Day

       “Omo omo omo...” I reacted and looked at him in shock. I didn’t want to act too excited and act like the biggest fan in the world so that he would feel comfortable, so I acted cocky. “Mmm...I’ll think about it,” I said, as I crossed my hands and walked back to the direction we were supposed to get off at.

        “Eh?!?” He just stood where he was, I guess he was taken aback. I walked past him and left him to process what just happened. I smiled as I walked away. Actually, I skipped, not walked. “Yah! You said you were my fa-” I turned to face him before he could finish his sentence.

        “'Yah?!' We’re not that close and you’re being informal already?” I said and he stopped in his track.

        “Oh, I thought like, it was okay since you said it earlier too...And you even hit me!” he replied. I scratched my head. Oh right.

    “Well, that doesn’t count! You stopped me from getting off the bus,” I said and gave a ‘hmph’ attitude.

        “Waah, what kind of situation is this,” he said in Korean, but I understood it.

        “Why are you so shocked?” I responded in Korean. He looked at me quickly, with his eyes wide.     

        “You know Korean?!” he had his hands up covering his mouth.

        “Why are you so shocked about everything?” I said and tilted my head in wonder.

        “What? Oh..” he cleared his throat. “I’m just surprised, just uh, so are you going to come with me or not?” he asked and started to walk past me and put his hands in his pocket. Was it just me or was he walking away coolly? Or at least trying to be cool?

        “Buy me ice cream…” I said quietly when I caught up with him.

        “What?” He said in Korean and laughed. “You’re pretty different,” he said quietly, in Korean again. “Okay, call!” he nodded and did an ‘ok’ sign with his fingers. I smiled at this and dragged him back to cross the street while his hands were still in his pockets.

        “W-where are we going?” He said, nervously.

        “I know a place, plus where we’re heading is near my work, I can’t be seen there, obviously,” I said and glared at him because he was making it hard for me to drag him.

         “How can I trust you’re not a stalker? Or kidnapper? Or a bad person?” we stopped walking at the stoplight. I took my hands off his jacket to press the walk button, then looked back at him again.

         “Do I look like a stalker? Or a kidnapper? Or a bad person? Right now, take a look,” I stood five feet away from him and watched him look at me up and down.

         “Well, no…” he replied and looked straight ahead.

         “Okay then! Let’s go!” I started to cross the street and walked really fast.

         “Hey, wait for me!” he ran as he crossed the street.

    We walked and walked until we reached an ice cream place I usually went to by myself. I stopped before opening the door.

         “Mmm, this is my secret ice cream place, you’re kind of the first person i’m bringing here, heck the first idol i’m bringing here,” I looked down at my feet shyly.

         “Okay, so it’s special?” he asked. I shook my head.

         “Nope, just secret, it’s like my escape,” I said and looked at him. He took his hands out of his pocket and something dropped. I bent down to pick it up and it was his mask.

         “Oh, you should probably wear this,” I proceeded to put it on him, but it was a struggle because he was, like, almost 6 feet and his boots with a bit of height added was not helping at all. Okay, he’s really like 5’10 but i’m the size of  fetus, so he was about 6 feet to me.

I guess he was a little surprised by this because he jumped back. I just realized what I was doing...Oh.. “Tch, do it yourself, I was just trying to see if it looked good on you,” I pretended and threw the mask at his face. 

         “Oh, okay..Does it look good then?” he asked as he put it on.

         “I don’t know, you’re too tall, I couldn’t see well,” I shook my head and opened the door.

         “Eh???” He shook his head and followed me inside. Gosh, he’s just so cute.

 

 

          “I’d like 1 scoop of mango and another of bubblegum, aaaaand…” I looked at Key who was looking at the ice cream menu. “Kibum-ssi?” I gestured for him to make his order.

          “I’ll get 1 scoop of salted caramel, please,” he said and started to take out money out of his wallet. I put my hand on top of his hand to stop him.

          “I got it, since...I probably won’t get this opportunity again,” I said and paid with my credit card before he could stop me.

          “Yah, that hurts my pride,” he whispered and poked me while we waited for our ice cream.

          “I’ll let you take a picture with me later, don’t worry,” I joked with a straight face and grabbed my ice cream cone. He scoffed and grabbed his.

          “Waa, daebak,” he exhaled and shook his head in disbelief. I sat against the wall so that he could sit across me with his back facing the customers and the door. Wow, i’m being so considerate…

He pulled down his mask and started eating.

          “Do you have a name?” he asked.

          “Duh,” I replied and he waited “oh, it’s Ellie,”

          “Ellie?” he said in a Korean accent. Oh my gosh, i’m gonna have a heart attack from this.  

          “Sorry, say that again?”

          “Ell..ie?”

          “Hmm?”

          “Ellie-ah,” he said cutely and blinked his eyes. Ugh, what am I doing right now. My phone started ringing.

          “Aish! I totally forgot,” I took my phone out as quickly as I could with one hand. Key probably saw me struggling and grabbed the ice cream cone from my other hand. “Oh, thanks,” I said and looked at the phone to see who was calling.

 

‘MANAGER’ I showed the phone to Key. “How do you have my manager’s number?!” he yelled. I clunked his head.

          “Aish, pabo-yah, it’s my manager at work,” I said and picked up the call.

          “Ohhh...right,” I heard him say.

          “Hello? Hi, sorry I won’t be able to come to work today, my, uh best friend has an emergency situation, I will come in another day to make up for today if you want, sorry again! I’m so sorry, I know it’s busy,” I said quietly, facing the side so that Key wouldn’t be able to hear.

My manager just kept saying ‘mm-hmm’ and ‘okay’, I was in trouble but i’ll worry about it later. I hung up the call and put my phone back in my pocket. Key handed me back my ice cream, looking guilty.

          “You can go back to work...I’m sorry I took your time,” he said apologetically. I shook my head repeatedly.

          “I don’t want to,” I said stubbornly.

          “Mm-kay!” he said and his face lit up again. He wasn’t even going to try harder to make me go away? It was that easy? I could be a sasaeng fan! I could be dangerous! I don’t know why he was just easily asking a stranger to “spend the day with him” or whatever, like hellooooo, this was probably a very rash decision on his part!

          “Yah, you shouldn’t easily go around trusting people,” I said and continued eating, he was already finishing up his cone.

          “First of all, do you think, like I do this all the time and stuff? Obviously not, and second of all, ‘yah’ isn’t my name, plus you’re younger than me!” he explained, while he took out a kleenex from his bag and offered me one. I took it, duh, Key of SHINee offered it.

          “Oh okay I thought you did this a lot, ‘cause that’s dangerous, Kibum-ssi…(?)” I said, unsure of what to call him.

          “-ssi?? Am I still a stranger?” he said after wiping his mouth.

          “Okay, how about this, can we just talk informally? I only know informal korean except for greetings...so that would help, I mean you’re someone I really respect, believe me, but it’d be easier,” I said, with my voice fading out at the end because I did not know how he was going to react.

          “Call! Ellie-ah!” he said and put up an ‘ok’ sign again. I smiled automatically.

          “But what do I call you then? Sunbae-nim? Key-ssi? Kibum-ssi? Kim Kibum-ssi?” I said and tilted my head right to left to right to left.

          “Mm...Oppa!” he said loudly. We had to look around to apologize for being loud.

          “Haha! Uhh..” I started and lowered my head because I knew I was about to turn red again.

          “Do you not want to or something?” he said and moved back, looking offended.

          “No no, it’s just I respect you a lot and have looked up to you for so long and to call you that right away…” I trailed off.

          “Oh it’s okaaaaay,” he waved his hand to gesture that it wasn't a problem.

          “Why is it so hard? O-ppa. Come on, jus-”

          “Kibum-ah,” I cut him off. What?! I didn’t want to disrespect him but I go off calling him without honorifics... Oh great. He bursted out laughing and the customers and the employees inside the ice cream parlor were all looking at us. I stood up so quick that the I ended up moving the table forward and having it hit Key’s stomach.

          “Aigoo,” it was a short, painful reaction from him.

          “Oh my gosh, i’m so sorry! Are you okay?” I said and rushed over to his side of the table to see if I injured him. He was looking down clutching his stomach. “Oh my gosh…”

Then he looked up and stuck his tongue out. I scoffed and hit his arm.

          “Yah, i'd get in trouble with your fans if you got hurt you know,” I said and I gestured for him to get up so we can leave the parlour.

          “Tsk tsk, i’d still perform while injured because I love what I do,” he said proudly and he opened the door for me. I glanced at him and pulled his mask back on. Awwww that’s how much he loves his career and his fans..

          “Where did you plan to go today?” I asked as I finished off my ice cream.

          “Mmm, Gastown! Oh and I also have a ticket to the Fashion Week for tonight...but you don’t have one..” He pulled out this ticket of his out of his wallet from his bag and let his voice trail off. My eyes widened.

          “Really?!” I exclaimed in Korean.

I rummaged through my bag, pulled out the same ticket that he was holding and we stood in the middle of the sidewalk, staring at each other’s tickets before we freaked out together. 

          “Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!”

          “Daaaaaaaeeeeeebaaaaak!”

We both seemed so excited that we jumped up and down. After we both calmed down, I led our walk to Gastown. It was quite a ways but we talked and talked and asked each other about a bajillion questions. He asked about how the concert was for me and my friends, I asked him how it was for him and the other members, he asked what job I had, what I was studying, what I wanted to be in the future. I asked him about being singer, his trainee days, what career he would’ve pursued if he wasn’t an idol and an actor, his dream places to go, I mean, he was talking most of the time and I didn’t care at all even though I wanted to talk about me too.

 

When we arrived in the Gastown, he planned to get some coffee and eat some sweets, so I took him to one of the coffee shops I knew and there we ate and talked and talked again. We never got bored, at least I didn’t anyways. Why would I!

After we finished eating, he stood up and held out his hand. Is he asking me to grab his hand? Oh my gosh, why?? I started to, as slow as possible, grab his hand.

          “My mask,” he said while turned around. OH MY GOD. I’m so embarrassed! Did he see that? I don’t think he did since he was turned around. I was processing all these thoughts while I looked for his mask in my bag. Jeez..what the heck was that, why would he wanna grab my hand in the first place???

          “I wanna shop a little,” he said as we walked out of the coffee shop. I held up an ‘ok’ sign and nodded. Oh dear, it was pouring rain and so we ran to the nearest souvenir shop and bought a 30 dollar, gigantic, umbrella. When we left the souvenir store, I realized we had to stand close to each other because we had to share one umbrella...My heart beat so fast that I could feel the pulse without trying. I could smell his subtle cologne. How did this even happen, I feel like i’m dreaming… Snap out of it!

          “Where do you want to go?” I shook my head and looked up at him while under the umbrella.

          “Everywhere!” He said and threw his hands up in the air and let the rain fall on us…

And we sure did shop everywhere. His “shop a little” was actually “shop A LOT”.

We walked everywhere, he bought everything he set his eyes on and kept asking me if the things he were buying were cute or pretty or looked good. I didn’t even know a nail cutter had to look good, okay?

          “Ohhh! Take a picture of me here!” He handed me ALL of his shopping bags, i'm talking like 20 bags. I felt like his assistant, jeez I probably even looked like his assistant. He handed me his phone and and he posed in front of the infamous steam clock, leaving me with no umbrella, great. I’m really an assistant. (A/N: He posted this picture on his instagram account, username 'bumkeyk') I took the picture and looked at the steam clock to see the time. What?! It’s 5 o’clock already?!

          “Yah! It’s time to go to the show!” I said and waved him to come back to where I was taking the picture. He ran towards me, which in real time took 5 seconds, but in my imagination, took a looooong whole minute. He took off his toque and ruffled his hair, it looked like his eyes twinkled but I was 98% sure they didn’t. His bright coloured hair attracted more attention since it was silver and he was looking all handsome and everything…

          “Are you okay?” He said while waving his hand in front of my eyes.

          “Oh? Oh! Uh yeah yeah..” I looked down and busied myself with handing him all his shopping bags back.

          “I wanna drop all these bags off first at the hotel before we go, ‘cause like it’d be a..hassle to bring it, obviously. Also, I gotta change my clothes,” he explained. I was still a little out of it so I kept nodding. “Is it okay if we meet in front of the coffee shop we were at before, in uh, maybe 20 minutes? I will run to the hotel with the bags quickly,” he added.

          “What? Oh yeah, sure! See you there in 20,” I said and smiled.

          “Okay okay, here. You keep the umbrella, i’m gonna run there quickly and back, okay? Wait for me,” I nodded and took another glance at his face.

          “Okay, see you there! Be careful and put on your toque, people will recognize you,” I said and took the toque out of his hand and I put it on him, or I tried to anyways. He had to bow his head a little, so I could put it on right. After I fixed it, he looked at me and smiled.

          “Thank you, Ellie-ah, see you soon!” He winked, smiled, and ran the other direction. He winked!!! Am I the best at hiding my fangirl reactions of what?

          “Be careful, Kibum.....Oppa!” I yelled the last part at him because he was already across the street. I guess he heard me say that because he looked back and waved excitedly, like a little kid. Aigoo, he’s so cute. I flailed my hand, signalling him to go hurry and so he did. I watched him run away, until I couldn’t see him anymore before I turned around to walk the other direction.