FIVE

It All Started That Day

We stood in front of a door and he was rummaging his pockets for his key card.

            “It’s probably in your wallet genius,” I said and whistled.

            “Haha,” he said sarcastically after finding it in his wallet. He opened the door anti-climatically. Did he not think that I was meeting SHINee for the very first time and it wasn’t even through a concert or anything like that. I was meeting them as Key’s friend. I stepped in slowly, while Key was already inside, then a pillow hit me.

            “Why are you being so dramatic, they’re not here,” he started laughing. I glared at him and threw the pillow back at him, but he dodged it.

            “Yah! You’re so annoying!” I dropped my backpack, ran to him and pulled his hair.

            “Ow ow! My precious hair! Yah, you better not pull any hair out or i’m gonna...gonna..” he started.

            “Gonna what?” I said, still pulling his hair.

            “Gonna hug you again!” he said and I let my guard down when he said this and he hugged me and raised me.

            “Yah! Put me down!” I think he was about to let me go or I think throw me, actually. But the door suddenly opened and we stopped moving. My backpack must’ve stopped the door from closing fully.

            “Yah, Key goon-ah why are you being so loud in here?” oh my asdfghjkl. It couldn’t be. Kibum and I were in the same position, he was still lifting me and we didn’t move. The man who walked in was drying his hair with a towel so he was looking down, but Key and I just stayed there, hoping that he wouldn’t see us, but obviously, that was not possible.

            “Where have you been all daaaaay? I beat Minho in that game again and he lost. AGAIN!” somebody else came in and said. I knew these voices, but I didn’t want to put names to them yet because I couldn’t believe it.

            “Yah! You didn’t beat me, my hand was hurt and I couldn’t play properly...” another voice came in.

            “Make me feel goooooooooood,” another voice came in, singing.

When they realized Key was not alone, they all stared at us, didn’t move and all had their mouths wide open. Key and I were in a position where someone might think something else was happening. Key finally came to his senses and put me down. I took off my hood and fixed my cap. I can’t believe this...what is happening to my life! Am I just the most blessed person ever or what!

            “Uh hey guys, this is my friend Ellie, Ellie-ah this is SHINee,” he said gestured between me and the members.

            “Yeah, I know they’re SHINee pabo,” I muttered quietly so only Kibum could hear. “Annyeonghaseyo!” I said loudly and bowed. I stayed in the 90 degrees position and it was still silent.

            “Why do you keep staying down there when you bow,” Key chuckled and put me back in my standing position. I looked at all of them. First, Onew came in so he was closest to us, then Taemin, then Minho, lastly Jonghyun. I couldn’t believe it for the life of me that they were standing right in front of me. They stayed silent.

            “Yah, why are you guys so quiet,” Key said and threw a pillow at them, but they didn’t move.

            “It’s an honour to meet you! I’m a friend of Key’s,” I said and bowed again, this time I stood right back up. They all cleared their throats coming to their senses.

            “Oh annyeonghaseyo,” they all said and bowed awkwardly because it was an awkward situation. I nudged Key and eyed him.

            “Oh she was wondering if you wanted her autograph,” Key casually said in Korean. I looked at him with my eyes wide.

            “Yah! What?!” I turned to him and hit his arm. But, this got the members to laugh and get a little more comfortable.     

            “You must be that girl he talked about yesterday?” Onew came up to me and bowed. His English was perfect like Key’s.

            “Oh that pre-” Taemin started but was abruptly stopped by Kibum’s hand over his mouth. They all started laughing.

            “Annyeonghaseyo,” Jonghyun greeted when he got closer to me. “Did he give you a lot of trouble yesterday?” he added in Korean. I was in shock and couldn’t speak clearly.

            “Oh, uh, yes he did, I missed work because of him,” I said seriously. They all turned to Key who still had Taemin in a headlock.

            “Yah! Why did you do that?” Minho said and approached me. “Sorry, he’s so inconsiderate sometimes,” he explained.

            “I know..haha..” I nodded and smiled.

            “We heard a lot about you!” Onew said.

            “Yah! Sssh sshh shh! Why are you all here anyways, i’m saying goodbye to a friend, go away, go go,” Key said and flocked all the guys to the door and pushed them out.

            “Be safe!” Jonghyun shouted before the door closed. I laughed with my hand over my mouth.

            “Why’d you make them leave?” I said half-joking.

            “You seemed to be having too much fun,” he said and walked back to me with his luggage in hand. I took off my shoes and sat on the bed. I watched him grab his clothes from the closet and fold them into his luggage. He started humming as he did all these. I thought I should help so I walked over to the bathroom and fixed his toiletries.

            “Do you have like a pouch or something to put these in?” I yelled from the washroom. I walked out of the bathroom only to run into him, literally.

            “Oh sorry, you okay?”

            “Yeah, it’s not like your chest is hard as rock,” I said sarcastically and rubbed my forehead. I grabbed the pouch he was holding and went back inside. I put all his things neatly into it and gave it to him. I sat back down on the bed and stayed quiet until he finished. I couldn’t believe so much has happened in the past two days. My heart felt so heavy with emotions that I wanted to cry and felt the tears coming down, but I wiped it before he could see. About 10 more minutes, he finished packing and put his things aside by the desk. He took off his shoes and sat beside me.

            “What are you thinking?” he asked quietly, like he was afraid to hear my response.

            “Mmm, just sad,” I replied.    

            “Ah...me too,” he said and we both just sat there sulking for a couple minutes until there was a knock on the door. Actually, multiple knocks. Key rushed there and opened it.

            “What?” I heard him say.

            “Is she still there?” It was them again.

            “Yeah, why?” Key was irritated. I heard some struggle at the door, I think they were trying to get in but Key was against it.

            “Why is it quiet all of the sudden?”

            “What are you guys doin?”

            “Yah, don’t do anything stupid,”

            They all said at the same time. Okay, breathe. They’re normal human beings, you can talk to them...whew.. I walked over to the door and waved at them.

            “Sorry to bother you, I had no idea Kibum would bring me here. If I knew, I wouldn’t have intruded,” I said and bowed apologetically. They looked at me and looked at my feet. I only had socks on because Key and I took them off when we sat on the bed.

            “Did you say ‘Kibum’?”

            “Why are you both just wearing socks?”

            “Oooooooh,”

            “Aigoooooo!”

            They all said at the same time again.

            “Your Korean’s really good!” Jonghyun said and winked.

            “Oh thank you so much,” I said and smiled at him.

            “Yah yah! You weren’t that friendly with me yesterday,” Kibum walked over to me with his brows furrowed. This sight was so cute that I turned red, I hit him so he would look away.

            “Aigoo, you guys are so cute!” Taemin said out of nowhere. Minho hit him on the head.

            “Are you sure you’re not a stalker fan?” Minho asked and I shook my head and Key did too.

            “I’m one huuuuuundred percent sure!” Key said confidently.

            “If you don’t feel comfortable, i’ll go. I understand the worry,” I said and went over to the side of the bed to put my shoes on.

            “No no no no!” they all said and Key just stood there, watching them, surprised at their actions.

            “Key would like you to stay,” Onew said and stuck his tongue out at Key.

            “Why are you speaking for me? I can speak for myself Onew leader,” Kibum said and looked at me.

            “I’d uh...like it if you stayed until we have to go...if you want to, I mean,” he said awkwardly and quietly so that the members couldn’t hear, but they did because all I heard was,

            “Ooooooooooooo!”

            “Awwwwwwwwwwe, look at him,”

            “Aish! Yah! Can you stop interrupting!” Key glared at them and looked back at me.

            “Sure,” I said and smiled at him. We just stared at each other for a couple seconds and I think this made the members uncomfortable because they all started to clear their throats.

            “Key goon-ah, if Manager Hyung finds out about this, we’d all get in trouble,” Onew said, being the leader. They all entered the room and closed the door. I looked at Key worriedly.

            “I know, but he won’t find out,” he said to them. I tugged at his jacket and he looked at me with a serious look on his face.

            “When do you have to leave?” I asked.

            “In two hours..” he said sadly. The other members just watched us talk and look at each other. I nodded slowly.

            “We have time to get to know you still!” Jonghyun said and pushed us all to sit on the big bed.

            “Yeah, let’s get to know Kibum’s, uh friend!” Minho added. Key stopped and looked at Jonghyun and Minho fiercely.

            “You two, are not getting to know anything,” he pointed at them as we all sat down.

            “Reeeelax, our Key,” Jonghyun said and sat closest to me while Key was left standing up. He suddenly walked on top of the bed to make space for himself in between Jonghyun and I.

            “Aigooo,” I said and ruffled his hair.

            “Tell us about yourself,” Onew asked. Wow, this felt like an interview.

            “Uhh...what do you want to know?” I asked.

            “Well, Key pretty much told us a lot about you already….so I don’t know,” Taemin looked around and Key exhaled and put both his hands to cover his face.

            “I knew I shouldn’t have brought her here, next thing I know, you’ll be telling her my sleeping habits,” Key shook his head in disbelief.

            “You talked about me?” I looked at him in awe.

            “Yeah, a lot,” Minho said. I hit Key’s arm because I turned red and got all shy.

            “Wait, I have a question for you guys, how come nobody calls each other ‘Hyung’ or anything?” I wondered because they seemed to just call each other by their first names, even Taemin.

            “Oh, well..I don’t know if we should be telling you this but, since we are all so close, closer than family, we just dropped the honorifics and only use them outside, where there are people, cameras, and yeah..” Onew explained in English. The rest just nodded, like they understood what Onew said.

            “Ohhhh, I read that somewhere, but I didn’t think it was true…That’s really adorable,” I muttered subconsciously. They looked at each other worriedly, probably because they just told a stranger one of their secrets.

            “How did you guys get so close?” Jonghyun asked, trying to change the subject.  

            “Uhh, it was pretty easy, we were comfortable,” I explained and Key just nodded. They waited for more but I didn’t know what else to say. I’m in the same room as SHINee, what else was there to say.

“We just talked and got along, what else do you gossipers want to know,” Key said, rolling his eyes. I smiled because the members looked like they wanted to hear something interesting.

            “How old are you, Ellie-ssi?” Taemin asked.

            “I’m 21 years old,” I took a deep breathe and said.

            “Aigooo, you’re so young,” Jonghyun said and kept nudging Key.

            “Yah! Stop it, what are you thinking,” Key was irritated and nudged him back. Everyone else nodded quietly.

            “Key goon-ah, joking aside, make sure this doesn’t get out okay?” Onew looked worried, heck, I was too. I looked around at all their faces and they all looked worried.

            “Uh, I can really just go and leave, it’s not a problem,” I started to get up and tried to push Key aside but he wouldn’t budge. “Yah, move,” I said and pushed harder but he didn’t move. “I’ll call you later, okay?” I added to make him feel better.

            “Eh?”

            “Mwo?”

            “Waaaa Key goon-ah, daaaaaaaeeeeebak,”

They all said. Key and I looked at each other and looked at the guys quickly.

            “What?” He and I said at the same time.

            “You have each others’ phone numbers?” Minho asked. Kibum and I just nodded like it wasn’t a big deal.

Knock knock knock.