TWENTY-SEVEN

It All Started That Day

            “Is this real?” Kibum asked no-one in particular. We looked at each other, like we were about to cry.

            “Yes, it’s very real, but I have a condition,” the Director asked.

            “What is it?” I asked. I didn’t want the condition to be something ridiculous and difficult like he seemed to make everything. The CEO was a difficult man, a very complex man, we didn’t know what he was thinking.

            “I’m sure Key here, told you about a job I was offering,” he leaned back on his chair and clasped his hands together.

            “Neh, he only told me you were offering me a job, but I already have a job, Director,” I nodded slowly.

            “It’s a very good job, Ellie-ssi,” he said, narrowing his eyes at me. Key patted my knees and inched forward.

            “Actually, Director, I haven’t told you, but Ellie plans to go back abroad to finish her studies and work there after spending a year here,” he said with a strong voice.

            “Oh really? Well, I want to ask her if she wants to attend school here, the same University as you, Key,” the Director said. “But, only if she works for the company,” he added.

            “Uh, I really appreciate the offer but I want to get my Doctorate over there, so that it’ll be easier to get a job here when I come back…” I explained.

            “Huh??” Kibum turned to me. “You plan to come back here and work???” he turned to me, completely forgetting that the CEO of SM Entertainment was just in front of us. “As in, come back and live here and work here?? Permanently?” he asked, grabbing my arms.

            “Mm, yeah… This was my dream and now you’re a part of that…” I said quietly, but not quiet enough for the Director not to hear us.

            “Aigoo, you guys are too sweet, but Ellie-ssi, I haven’t even told you what job I’m offering you,” this Director won’t back down. He seemed awfully confident that I would take whatever job he was offering me. Kibum let go of my arms and wiped the big smile off his face to turn back to the CEO.

            “What exactly is the job you’re offering her, Director?” he asked, putting his hands together.

            “I saw the article posted online… The one with her singing and all that, was that really you?” he looked at me and my hands trembled at his words. I just nodded and Kibum suddenly grabbed my hand. He knew the video with me singing made me uncomfortable and made me pretty emotional… Though he didn’t know why, he held my hand to comfort me.

            “Hold on, sorry…” I held my hand up. It was rude, but I wanted to get something clear. “You’re saying that this article you just showed us, will only be posted, under the condition that I remain here in Korea and work for the company?” I asked, my voice cracking at the end of my sentence. Kibum anticipated the answer too.

            “Yes, I will only allow this declaration straight from the company, that you two are happily dating, to be published, if you agree to the conditions,” the CEO said confidently.

            “Director, that seems a bit un-“ Kibum started.

            “Why? Do you want to tarnish your image and the group again by having her leave after announcing that you two are together? That it was just a…what do you kids call it these days…a one night stand? That it was just a fling?” He raised his voice, but his tone didn’t seem angry. Kibum and I backed up, offended at what he was saying. I understand that it would affect their image if I just leave after we officially announce we are dating… Why is it one problem after another? I just wanna live peacefully, please.

            “Do you still want this?” Kibum turned to me, looking at me with wavering eyes.

            “What? Of course, I do,” I started. “But I have a dream too… I want to graduate there and hopefully it’d be easier to find a job here, in the field I want to work in…” I added.

            “I’m offering you a job here. At one of the BIG THREE entertainment companies!” the Director said, cutting into our conversation. “What field exactly, do you want to work in?” he asked, putting a finger to his temple.

            “I want to be a lawyer, work in the legal department. My dream is to work in the legislature, maybe become a judge…I want to make peace in this chaotic world. I want to be fair and just,” I explained, getting lost in my own thoughts.

            “Wuah… You’ve never really shared this to me,” Kibum said, still looking at me. I covered my face because I felt embarrassed, sharing my dream to him in front of the CEO.

            “You must think that’s ridiculous, but I don’t care, it’s my dream,” I sat up straight.

            “And waste your voice? Ellie-ssi, the job I’m offering you is to be a singer,” the Director said. “Actually, I saw your audition tape for us, when we held auditions back in your country,” he made a ‘hmph’ sound. My eyes widened and I looked around the room as I shut my eyes tight. I haven’t told Kibum that I auditioned for the company when I was thirteen years old.

            “Neh?” I said, acting oblivious. “Audition?”

            “Yes, at first, I wasn’t sure it was you, but it was actually Ji-Hye who confirmed it was you, you looked really young and she recognized you right away,” he cleared his throat.

            “Audition???” Key said in English and looked at me. I couldn’t look at his face so I just stared at the ground, not saying anything.

            “Our audition committee focused more on appearance then, so they didn't pa-” the CEO said. Was that an insult? He just called me unattractive indirectly, right?

            “Neh?? Ellie’s pretty!” Kibum said in a very defensive tone, cutting off the CEO. Awwwwww… wait- now’s not the time to blush.

            “Hah, you should see the tape, I was thirteen and uh didn’t develop yet,” I chuckled.

            “So you actually auditioned?” he said in English. I just nodded and turned back to the Director.

            “Sir, I really appreciate that, but that’s not my dream anymore, so much has happened and I’ve let that go,” I explained, but he still didn’t look convinced.

            “How about this, train for that whole year and just see if you want to continue. I’m already guaranteeing your debut, it won’t be a group, just solo, you’re strong enough to debut as a solo and you have the looks for it,” this is ridiculous. I don’t want to be a singer, that’s not my dream anymore. I’ve moved on from that. Aunty, are you seeing this from up there where you are? It hurts to sing when you’re not here. You were my main supporter and I have a different dream now…right?

            “Director, training is really hard and you want to convince her by putting her through a difficult time?” Kibum asked. He was right. This CEO is pretty insane. How is he thinking he’ll convince me by putting me through hardships? He’s telling me to give up my great teaching job, become a trainee, and go to school? Helloooooooooo!

            “Director, I have a good job and if I go to school and train for a year, how do you expect me to make money and survive,” I stated.

            “Yah, you have a rich Oppa, trust me,” Kibum said, pounding his chest.

            “Aniya, I’ll pay you as you train and your tuition for school, your voice will be a hit, you will be a hit and with Key here? You both can rise to the top,” Director said. “Also, I’m sure you can put aside that dream for now, to explore your previous dream and well, to release this article to the public,” he raised the brown envelope where the information about Key and I’s relationship was in. This is definitely blackmail.

            “Mmm, do I have to give you an answer now?” I asked and the CEO just nodded.

            “I already gave you a month, the time is now,” he didn’t give us a month. He didn’t even tell Key what the job he was offering to me was last month?!

            “Could I have 5 minutes with Kibum outside to discuss this?” I asked and the CEO stood up and gestured for us to stay sitting down.

            “I’ll go, I have to gather up some documents outside anyways, just stay here,” he said then walked out of the office. Once we were sure that the Director wasn’t listening in, we turned to each other.

            “This is ridiculous,” I said to Kibum.

            “If you want out, I’ll understand,” he said to me.

            “Don’t be stupid,” I lightly hit his chest.

            “Then what?” he looked at me with his mouth agape.

            “Then fine,” I fixed his hair with both my hands and he looked at me confused.

            “Fine what?”

            “Then I’ll do it…for me, for you, for us,” I tried to act aloof as I said that to not worry him.

            “Mwoh? Why did you ask for 5 minutes alone then, if you already had an answer?” he asked, grabbing my hands.

            “Because I couldn’t breathe normally with that guy in here,” I sighed heavily. He just chuckled. “And also, I wanted to do this,” I pulled him closer to me and kissed his cheek.

            “What was that for??” he touched the spot where I had kissed him and pouted.

            “Because we’re finally going public!” I squealed and he shared my excitement. “Also, I wanted to make sure you were okay with my decision,” I looked at him, earnestly.

            “Well, it’s your decision to make, yeah maybe I would have preferred if you wouldn’t become a singer because you would get so tired and live a difficult life. We also wouldn’t be able to have a normal relationship. I wanted for you to be able to eat whatever you want, at whatever time you want, but now you’ll be put on a diet or something. I also wanted to go out on dates peacefully, but if this actually happens, we won’t be able to go anywhere! If this actually happens, we’ll barely see each other! Except maybe school, at the company…and well, I don’t know… You’ll be on schedules, I’ll be on schedules…” he said and ran out of breath. All of what he said were true. Could this actually work? The consequences are so severe… I gulped.

            “You know what,” I said and grabbed his face with both hands. “the benefits outweigh the cost,” I smiled and Key displayed his dimples then pouted his lips, closing his eyes. I slapped his lips away and moved back.

            “Yah, how could you do that?? We were having a moment!” he back up and looked at me.

            “Kibum-ssi, just because we’ve…kissed before doesn’t mean it comes easily now, wah,” I looked at him in disbelief.

            “Oh…okay, do I like…pay you when I want to give you a kiss?” he joked. I hit his arm and laughed. “But seriously…it’ll be so hard… There were so many times during my trainee days where I wanted to just give up, I’ve told you all this when we first met… Are you sure about this? Because he’s probably gathering up the contracts right now,” he looked at the door.

            “Mmm… Yes. This was my dream before, maybe it’ll…uh come back to life or something… but I’m not really good at uh…singing anymore, especially with…uh people around…” my voice decreased in volume. I think Key noticed I didn’t want to talk about it and rubbed my back.

            “We’ll deal with it, when it comes. I’m here for you,” he said and right on cue, the Director walked in. He dropped paperwork on the coffee table and looked at us.

            “Have you decided?” he kept his gaze at me, not at Key.

            “Neh, I will…” I started. “Do it,” I nodded a final nod and grabbed the pen the Director was holding out. This CEO is so arrogant, he was acting like he knew I was going to accept his offer. Makes me wanna just throw the pen that I grabbed at him.