TWENTY-SIX

It All Started That Day

 

            “Oppa! What?!?!” I yelled at Onew. I was at their dorm early in the morning to walk Kibum’s dogs. He had been at his schedule for the whole day yesterday and didn’t come home to sleep so somebody had to watch the dogs.  

            “I haven’t told Kris yet… Please don’t tell her, I have to be the one to do that,” he was helping me put leashes on Comme Des and Garcons. “I’m glad I don’t always have to be the one to walk these babies, I mean, I love them, but I’m always stuck dogsitting,” Onew said, trying to change the subject.

            “Oppa…” I wasn’t moving and just sank to the ground. “This was what I was afraid of… Heck, this is what all the fans are afraid of…” I mumbled to myself, looking at the ground. Onew sat down in front of me and let me have a moment. “The members know?... Well, obviously,” I rolled my eyes at myself. Jonghyun and Taemin were in their own homes, but Minho was asleep in his room. How must they be feeling, I could only imagine. Key’s probably devastated too… That’s why he seemed kind of off lately. The first month of work passed so quickly that I was so focused and stressed about it and ended up neglecting Key. “Ottoke…” I said, cupping my face. “When?” I didn’t want to know the answer, but I had to ask, for Kris’ sake.

            “The end of next month,” he didn’t look sad saying it. Rather, he seemed to have accepted it. So, the end of next month… It’s February now, so end of March…Holy crap… Forgive me, Kris!

            “Actually, you know, uh… I wasn’t supposed to say anything and I’m sure Kibum didn’t say anything either, but Kris is actually, uh… arriving on February 14th,” I scratched my head as I said this. I’m sorry, Kris but I had to!

            “WHAT?!?!?!” he rose up from the ground so quickly that I got a head rush from watching him alone.

            “Yeah…” I said with a regretful voice. I felt so upset for Kris, I wouldn’t know what to do if this was Kibum’s turn…

            “You’ve got about a month and a half with her, Oppa,” I said quietly. He just stood there, nodding with a blank expression. “That’s why you’ve just been home lately… That’s why you and the CEO seemed quite close, this was what you were discussing with him all the time…When will it be announced?” I asked, standing up and tugging on the leash.

            “Beginning of March,” he said.

            “You need to tell Kris before she hears it from someone else, if she finds out through the news or through the guys, she’ll…well she’ll get really angry and probably won’t speak to you until you leave, then she’ll sulk and regret in some corner of her room, then she’ll lash out on her friends, mainly me, then she’ll tell me everyday how much she misses you then when you come back, she’ll pretend you never left and stay mad at you,” I explained, using hand gestures. I could already picture it happenning.

            “That’s quite a situation, but don’t worry, I will tell her myself when she arrives, I guess…” he got a glass of water and drank it.

            “Okay, I’m gonna go walk the dogs, have fun at the gym, I’m gonna go think about what you told me and be sad,” I said this nonchalantly and put on my shoes.

            “Aigoo, Ellie-ah, it’ll be okay,” he smiled a smile that made his eyes disappear, a smile which Kris would die for. I just nodded and walked out of there.

           

The dogs were so excited to be outside that I was the one being pulled by them. I just followed them and let my mind wander instead. I can’t believe it’s finally starting… It’ll be Onew, then Jonghyun, then Kibum and Minho, then Taemin… I couldn’t even begin to process the devastation that their fans will surely feel. The dogs did their business by a park playground and obviously, I cleaned up after them.

“Babies, I don’t even want to imagine your Key Appa going to the military, I could only imagine how Kris might feel when she finds out Onew’s enlisting…” I patted the dogs’ backs and squatted beside them. “Two years is a long time,” I sighed and stood up.

 

Krrrrrrriiiing.

The caller ID stated it was Kibum.

            “Wae-yong?” I answered.

            “What’s with being cute so early in the morning,” he sang.

            “Eeey,” I reacted.

            “What’s wrong? Why’s your voice like that?” he asked. I must’ve sounded as sad as I felt.

            “Onew Oppa…told me about him enlisting,” I said quietly.

            “Ah…that,” was all he could say.

            “If you were upset about it, you could’ve talked to me… Are you okay?” I stood up but kept the dogs close to me.

            “Aniya, you didn’t know yet and I wanted it to come from him,” he explained. I nodded even though he wasn’t anywhere near me.

            “I know…But you could have let me know that you were having a hard time about something, I’m your girlfriend, that’s what I’m here for, pabo,” I joked lightly and he chuckled.

            “Araso… Actually, I’m just checking in on my babies, did they get to do their business?”

            “Uh-huh, they just did. You better get some sleep and you better be eating there!” I looked down at the dogs and smiled.

            “Okay good and okay I will, I think they’re calling me again, I’ll text you later,” he said and hung up. I had gotten used to our short and sweet conversations since he started filming a new drama again right after promoting his previous one. He must be so tired, he never gets enough sleep and he’s outside more than he’s inside…

            “Okay, let’s goooooo,” I sang and pulled the dogs along. It was too cold to keep them out for long and I had to prepare lesson plans for the coming week, so we walked back to the dorm.

 

 

            “We’re back,” I called out, but nobody answered. I took off my shoes and unhooked the leashes. “Thank God I brought my laptop and work stuff here,” I anticipated that I had to dog-sit all day so I prepared accordingly. I sat on the living room floor and my laptop. Though I was well aware it wasn’t my house, the amount of times I’ve hung out here was probably more than the time I spent in my own home, so it was a comfortable space for me.

            “Oh, Ellie-ah, you’re here?” I jumped in my spot and placed my hands over my chest.

            “Aigoo, you scared me!” I said. “I thought nobody was here,” I sat up straight again and worked away on my laptop.

            “Hahah, did I? Sorry,” Minho said and dried his hair. “You’re stuck dog-sitting again?” he asked.

            “Mm-hmm, our Master Key is filming again, good thing I don’t have work today,” I nodded as I said this.

            “Oh yeaaaah, I’m leaving soon too, sorry you won’t have company,” He went to the kitchen to grab a Tupperware with food inside. Chicken , again?! Yuuucccck. I shivered, thinking about what he’d been eating for the past month.

            “Do you have a schedule?” I asked, typing away.

            “Yep, Manager Hyung is picking me up soon, but Onew might be back later so at least you won’t be bored,” he clicked his tongue.

            “Yeah, I’ll probably order food, I’m hungry,” I said, putting a hand over my stomach.

            “Chicken ?” he lifted his Tupperware. I looked at him and made a throwing up sound

            “Aniyo, I’m okay,” I looked at the container he was holding in disgust.

            “Okay, your loss, I’m gonna go get ready,” he said and disappeared from the hallway. I stretched and decided to close my eyes for a little while.

 

I woke up to the dogs climbing on my legs.

            “Oh, sorry guys, I fell asleep, are you hungry?” I asked the dogs. I’ve never had a pet before and now here I am talking to animals, expecting an answer I know I wouldn’t get. Aigoo, what have I become. I put out food and water for them and watched them go at it. I opened up my laptop and there was a post-it note pasted on the screen.

       “Ellie, it’s Onew Oppa, Key-goon called but you were asleep, he told me to tell you to meet him at the company this afternoon, he said he’ll text you when he’s done filming, I had to step out for a bit!”  

 

            “At the company? Why?” I said to myself. I looked at the time and it was already past noon. I slept for that long?! I had track pants on and a hoodie. Is this appropriate attire to go to the company? Aish, whatever.

Krrrrriiiiiing.

            “Mmm?” I answered the phone, it was Key.

            “Did I wake you?” he asked.

            “No, I just woke up,” I said, rubbing my eyes.

            “Okay, good, we’ll be there in 10 minutes, get ready and come out,” he hung up after saying that.

            “Eh?” was all I could say. His manager probably hasn’t slept either, the two of them must be so tired.

When they arrived downstairs, I told the Manager to go home and sleep and that I would drive Key’s car to the company. He agreed with his eyes closed. Kibum looked the same as his Manager. He had the darkest bags under his eyes and his face was swollen.

            “I have your keys and the dogs are already inside the car, let’s go,” I dragged him out of the van and said bye to Manager Hyung.

            “You prepared faaaast,” he said, with his voice cracking.

            “Of course, I was excited to see you,” I winked at him.

            “Eeeeeeeeey,” was all he said and we walked to the car in silence. He got inside the passenger seat and I drove because we both agreed he was too tired and sleepy to drive.

 

           “Wake uuuuuup, Kibummie,” I said, pinching his cheeks. “He opened one eye and put a palm on his forehead. “We’re heeeere,” I sang and let him wake up. I got out of the car to get the dogs. “Comme Des-yah, Garcon-ie, come to meeee,” I put leashes on them and carried the both of them off the car. Then Key appeared and hugged me from behind. “Omo,” I tried to turn around and get out of his hold but he was hugging me too tightly. We were in the underground parking lot of the company and nobody was around, but there were security cameras. “People will see, oh my,” he still wouldn’t let go.

            “I’m tired, I just want to give my girlfriend a hug so I could receive some energy,” he mumbled and put his chin on my shoulder.

            “Aiyoooo, I’ll drive you home after this,” he finally let go and I turned to face him. “What are we doing here anyways?” I asked.

            “It’s a surprise,” he said with no emotion and grabbed Garcons with one hand and held my hand with the other. A surprise means it’s something good right? Maybe he’s just sugar-coating it. Wait…

            “You don’t know what it’s about either, huh?” I eyed him.

            “No idea,” he chuckled.

            “Ah, I’m getting nervous, oh my,” I mumbled to myself.

            “I’m sure it’s nothing,” he said, yawning. We hadn’t really talked to the CEO about him offering me the job here… Rather Kibum and I didn’t want to talk about me not staying here and going back abroad to finish my school. I had no idea what I was entering here…

 

            “Oh Ji Hye-yah! How’ve you been??” I asked Ji-Hye before we walked into the Director’s office. We held each others’ arms and talked, as Key let the dogs down.

            “Good, good! It’s been super busy here, I’m always working,” she sighed.

            “Oh really?? That … Let’s meet for coffee soon, I’ll text you,” I said and pulled away from her.

            “Mmm! Go in, he’s waiting for you two,” she gestured for us to enter. I grabbed Key’s arm as we walked inside. He looked at me with faltering eyes. He’s nervous too…

            “My favourite couple, there you are!” the CEO seemed to be in a good mood. Or was he being sarcastic? We bowed and sat down on the couch in front of him. Key’s dogs seemed to have sense the tense atmosphere and they just stood in their spots in front of Key and I. “How’s filming? You look tired,” he looked at Kibum.

            “Neh, it’s going really good,” he smiled a smile that didn’t reach his eyes.

            “And Ms. Ellie, how’s your job?” he asked me, with a less relaxed voice.

            “Oh, uh it’s really good, I like it,” I said, not meeting his gaze.

            “So, this is the reason why I called you two here today,” he pushed a brown envelope towards us on the coffee table. Kibum and I looked at each other, communicating with our eyes. He grabbed the envelope and pulled out a piece of paper. Then we both just stared at the document silently.

 

Oh. My. God.