ONE

It All Started That Day

          “Where is this bus?” I muttered and kept kicking the trash around on the ground. “I should’ve driven today,” I scratched my head and glanced at my watch. Why did I even bother coming all the way here, in the middle of the day, on a weekday… Aish. It’s freezing cold. It’s sunny, but it’s so windy, what is up with the weather lately.…Oh it’s here, finally!

 

 I took out my bus card quickly and hopped on. I shivered from the cold and sat down at the front even though the bus was almost empty except for two old ladies a couple seats away from me. I rubbed my arms to warm myself up and blew into my hands to defrost them. Finally, after settling down, I looked up and there was another person in front of me. That’s weird, his body looks so familiar. He was wearing a mask, but I’d know those eyes and that fashion sense anywhere I would go. Holy...crap. I was pretty sure my eyes widened the biggest they could. My heart beat so fast, faster than it beat last night during the concert. Where this man in front of me, stood on the stage and I cheered for him. Oh..my...God. I started to look around the bus, but there was nobody else who might recognize him, unless the two old ladies in here happened to listen to K-pop..

 

NO. WAY. I blinked twice, thrice….over ten times! Is this real? This is crazy. This was their first concert and first visit here and I just happened to get on this exact bus and- and- and…!!!

Wait, he looked at me. I looked down as quick as I could. Wait...no..I should take this opportunity. People see each other for a reason. I can do this… Uh..how should I do this, I never could have imagined this would happen… How do I go abo-

 

          "Annyeonghaseyo!” I bowed out of nowhere, while sitting down, with my hair, just hanging down. OH. MY. LORD. What did I just do? I’m not even Korean! Okay… why am I not getting up? Oh...this is so awkward…

Raise your head woman! Get ahold of yourself!

Wait, he might panic and get off the bus….Okay, I have to look up.

          "Fan i-eyo…” I added. What? I couldn’t have just said that in English?! I and I cannot express this enough, slooooowly lifted my head up. I looked at him and his eyes were just wide. I’m guessing he was in shock too.

Yeah, out of aaaaaall the buses, out of all the places he could go to, he was here.

 

          "You know me?” He said in English. I nodded, smiled, and waved. I probably looked pretty awkward, somebody pinch me! “Really??” does he have to ask twice. I nodded again.

          "I’m sorry!” I said in English and bowed again. OKAY, I need to calm myself down, just because everybody bows in Korea doesn’t mean I have to bow at every word I say. He chuckled. I looked up as quickly as I could.

          “Why are you sorry? Bahaha! Aigoooooo!” He exclaimed and clapped his twice as he laughed. Okay, how is this funny?

          “What? I mean, neh? I mean, uh, what?” I said, obviously confused.

          “I’m so happy you know me!” He said and took off his mask. The older ladies started to look, since we were the only ones talking on the bus, we might as well have been using a microphone. He came over to sit beside me. I shifted from shock. O.M.G. WHAT! Okay...my long time, inspiration, idol, role-model, was sitting right beside me. This isn’t a dream right?!?!

           “I guess we should be quiet,” he said quietly. I smiled awkwardly and nodded. “I’m so happy to be here and meet someone who knows me!” he said. Oh my, his English is so cute, I just want to pinch his cheeks.

           “Isn’t that a bad thing? All fans want their idols to enjoy their private lives, even though a lot of them do everything to meet you guys, but we also want you to be able to live normally,” I explained, with broken English because I couldn’t function. He shook his head and shook his index finger.

           “Mm-mm. When we go overseas, we get to do this a lot, since majority of the population don’t know us,” he explained more. I was making an ‘Ahhh’ face as he said this. I shook my head because there was about 10 seconds of silence.

           “Oh, uh yeah, I guess so...That’s good...uh…” I continued giving the ‘Ahhh’ face. He looked at me excitedly, like I was the idol and he was the fan. What’s up with this guy. I was just so speechless I couldn’t say anything. “Shouldn’t you be running away…?” I said slowly, hoping that he wouldn’t run away.

           “Nope! You’re the first I saw today that recognized me,” he shook his head. “Are you okay? You’re like, pale and your mouth’s been open like the whole time we’ve been talking,” he looked at me closer. Okay, what! Oh my….what in the world is happening…!

           “Sorry, it’s just… I never really planned what to say if this were to happen ever because I can’t even believe this is happening right now…Uh, you’re..uh..my bias..” I blurted. I wanna hit myself, why did I say that?! Now he’ll get creeped out and get off. He paused and just looked at me. I couldn’t tell if he was ready to run away or just sit back down where he was before and pretend this never happened.

           “Waaaahahahaha! Omo-na! Daeeeeeebak!” He exclaimed loudly, clapped his hands, and pushed me while laughing. “Daaaaebak!” He said again. Okay, I now understand the pain that my friends feel whenever I hit them while laughing or crying or simply talking.

           "Ow..” I said quietly and rubbed the part of my arm where he hit.

           "Oh sorry sorry,” he said and touched my arm too. I flinched. He’s. actually. Touching. Me. What is going on. If this was a dream, I’d be so pissed at myself.

           “Why is it ‘daaaaaaaeeeebak! Wahahaahaha!’?” I said and tried to impersonate him. I even hit him too, why am I acting like we’re close? Jeez. Sasaeng fans would probably hit me if they were here.

           “Hahaha!” He laughed and hit me again.

           “Ahahaha!” I laughed and hit him back.

           “Hahaha! You’re so funny,” He said back and hit me.

           “Ahahaha! Thank you!” I said and hit him back.

           “Okay, let’s stop, it actually hurts,” he said and rubbed his arms vigorously.

           “Oh, i’m so sorry,” I said and bowed. Again? Why do I keep bowing. This had him chuckling.

           “You don’t need to bow, it’s okay,” he said and waved his hand. “I’m just happy and laughing because everybody in Canada and America, well, most fans like Minho or Jonghyun, but I never get why,” he said and tilted his head from side to side.

           “Ohhhh, I see..Yeah, that’s kind of true, especially at the concert last night, so many of them were Minho fans, but i’m really your fan, i’m not saying this because you’re right in front of me. I mean I like all of you, I can’t even begin to explain that, but you-”

           “It’s okay, you don’t need to explain yourself. How old are you anyway?” He asked and crossed his arms mightily. Almighty Key, he truly is. I smiled and looked straight ahead, seeing in real life, his proud self in action.

           “I turn 22 next year,” I said shyly because I knew his age and he might not like it if I was 5 years younger than him. Wait- why does it even matter? What am I thinking.

           “So...you’re 21 right now?” He asked.

           “Mm...yeah..I just turned 21 actually…” I said and lowered my head. Maaan, I hope he won’t notice a big between us...

           “Ohh….You seem mature for your age,” he said and kept nodding his head. Awwwwwe! I was pretty sure I turned red.

           “Aiyooo, kyeopta…” he said quietly. Oh my gosh...I’m cute. I reached for my cheeks with both my hands and tried to purse my lips to stop myself from smiling ear-to-ear.

           “So, what are your plans today?” I asked him. “And why aren’t you with the members?” I added.

           “Oh okay, so we like going on our own after exploring together, because there’s less attention on us, also, like, uh, we like experiencing it by ourselves too,” He replied.

           “Ah….I see, I understand,” I said. “Uhh...i’ll be getting off soon, at the station,” I said sadly. I couldn’t even pretend to be happy because I was genuinely sad.

           “Oh really..?” He looked at me. I nodded and lowered my head again.

           “I actually have things I want to tell you, but...my mind’s like blank, because this is so sudden,” I said and looked around.

           “Hello, you two, I want you to have this, I’ll give you one each,” the old lady 3 seats away from us said. Key and I turned our heads at the same time. He bowed his head, out of habit I guess, and I smiled.

           “Oh thank you so much,” I said and took two cards that she was handing to us.

           “Thank you!” Key said and smiled widely. We both looked at them and the cards had two teddy bears hugging with the caption ‘Hug!’ This is sooo cute.

           “This is so sweet, thank you!” Key said to the old lady and she just smiled back at us.

           “Awee...Is it okay with you if I kept the other one?” I asked and handed him the other one.

           “Of course! But hold on, let me take a picture first,” he said and grabbed the card I was holding and took out his cellphone. He held the two cards in front of him and included the old lady in the background, then took the picture. (A/N: Key actually posted a picture of these two cards and posted it on Instagram, username: 'bumkeyk') I hope that he’d post this moment. This made me so happy, I wanna cry… To ruin the moment before I got all emotional, I grabbed the card from him as fast as I could and stood up.

           “I’m getting off at the next stop...I really wish we had more time, but i’m just so grateful to have met you,” I said and bowed. “Thank you for all your hard work all these years…” I added. I guess he was shocked because he was quiet until the bus halted. I looked up and he was just sitting there, blinking his eyes away.

           “Oh, uh..mm, what are you doing today?” he asked.

           “Is anyone getting off?” The bus driver seemed pretty impatient.  

           “No, sir!” Key said.

           “Yah!” I said and hit him like we were friends.

           “Ow!” he said and the bus driver closed the doors and drove away…

           “There..goes..my job..” I muttered as I saw my work building. I mean I would’ve done anything to hang out with this man but I mean, he could’ve like...asked.

           “Oh you were going to work?! Oh sorry sorry! I’ll pay you!” He said and took out his wallet.

           “Aigooooo, you’re so cute,” I said back and pushed him. What?! How did I get so brazen?! Why did I say that? I hit my mouth, unknowingly. He stood up so fast that he got hit by one of the handles.

           “That was my stop too, actually!” he said and pointed to the direction where the drove away from.

           “Aiyoo…” I shook my head and pushed the stop button so we could get off at the next stop. The bus stopped when we haven’t even reached the bus stop after yet.

           “You two can get off here if you want,” he said to us. Key and I looked at each other and then looked at the driver.

           “Thank you!” We both said. I put the ‘Hug!’ card in my bag and he put his in his messenger bag. This is so surreal… After we got off, he stopped and looked back at me, like he wanted to say something. After a long pause, he said a sentence that will forever be burned into my mind.

           “Do you...maybe..like..wanna spend the day with me?”