Chapter 18

A Pure Blood's Dilemma

"We have a mission to kill one of your pack mates," said Jinhwan. "Who?" Asked Changkhyun. "Shownu," said Jinhwan.

"What?" Asked Jungkook. "There has to be another way to stop this from happening," he said. "The only reason we haven't gone after him so far is because he worked for Kris," said Jinhwan. "Apparently he stopped, on his own request, and so that's where we are now," he said. Jungkook scratched the back of his head. "I guess it's you two?" He asked. "Mm," said Jinhwan.

"Want some coffee? I think I know what this is about," said Minhyuk as he came outside. Everyone turned to him. "It's Hyungwon's family isn't it?" Asked Minhyuk. "That's who sent you after Shownu again?" He asked. "Yeah," said Jinhwan. "I guess we can't do much about that," said Jungkook. "Come on inside for coffee then," he said, and Jinhwan and Yunhyeong head inside after everyone else went back inside.

"I don't know the whole story, but Hyungwon's family was a family of werewolf hunters, they didn't approve of their son being with Shownu," said Minhyuk after everyone was sitting down in the living room. "The only thing that kept Shownu from being killed was the rule about working for Kris," he said. "And that he's in a pack with vampire hunters," he said. "But he did leave your pack, and then he stopped working for Kris when even that didn't help," he said. Changkhyun nodded. "I guess that makes sense," he said.

"Hyungwon's family didn't just want any werewolf hunter, they wanted the best, and then iKon came along," said Minhyuk. "Shownu-hyung thought we'd be safe here, but apparently not, so that's what caused him to leave in the first place," he said. "It wasn't because of you Changkhyun," he said. "I figured there was something more to it," said Changkhyun.

"So where are they?" Asked Jinhwan. "Chicago, but they were heading here this morning so," said Minhyuk. "I got a text an hour ago, they should be here by this afternoon," he said. "Do they know?" Asked Jinhwan. "I suppose they do, otherwise you wouldn't be here," said Minhyuk. "It explains why your other pack members met up with us in Charleston," he said. Yunhyeong tilted his head to the side. "Hanbin and Bobby? They landed in Atlanta on complete accident," he said. "They ran into Yoongi and then went to Charleston," he said.

"There's no way they landed in Atlanta on complete accident," said Minhyuk. "They would've had a reason for heading to Charleston," he said. Jinhwan sighed. "They were sent to check on Shownu to make sure he wasn't working for Kris anymore," he said. "When they found out he wasn't then they let us know," he said. "We just waited until he came over here to really put our plan into action," he said. "I guess we came early," he said.

"I can't believe it came to this," mumbled Daehyun as he sighed. "It eventually happens to everyone," said Jinhwan. "We even have bounties on our own heads but we're tougher than that," he said. "It just depends on who gets to kill who for the highest amount of money," he said. "We used to do it for money, but after we started working for Kris we only kill those who don't work for him," he said. "We make sure about it before anything happens," he said.

After a few hours of waiting they finally heard Shownu's truck pull into the driveway. Daehyun headed outside, smiling slightly at them. "Hey guys," he said. Shownu got out of the truck with Hyungwon following behind him. "I guess it's time," said Shownu when he noticed whose car was in the driveway. "Let's get this thing over with," he said as he walked inside. Hyungwon followed after him, his expression blank though Daehyun could tell that he was feeling distressed. "Everything is gonna be fine," said Daehyun. Hyungwon nodded. 

Jinhwan stood, seeing Shownu walk in. "Yeah, it's time," Shownu said, scratching the back of his head. "Here," he said, taking off a gold necklace with a jade charm attached to it. He threw it at Yunhyeong who caught it, before nodding to Jinhwan. "I want that back," said Hyungwon. "Mm," said Jinhwan. "Don't worry about that," he said. "We will make sure it gets back to you," he said. Hyungwon nodded.

"Does it have to end like this?" Minhyuk asked. "I'm tired of running, and plus it's annoying to have to deal with year after year again," said Shownu. "Hopefully it doesn't come to you, and this is the end of it," he said. "Take care of them both Daehyun," he said, turning to Daehyun. "I will," said Daehyun as he nodded. Shownu smiled before walking outside with Jinhwan and Yunhyeong walking behind him.

Yoongi and JR went outside to watch the death, to make sure that this was all they were here to do. "I know we shouldn't be doing this but it's a safety percaution," said Yoongi when Jinhwan gave him a questioning look. "Fair enough," said Jinhwan. Shownu let out a deep breath before nodding. "Alright, let's get this over with," he said, turning to the two brothers.

Yunhyeong put his hands in his pockets. "You want to die the easy way or the hard way?" He asked. Shownu shrugged off his jacket before taking off his shirt. "I'm not dying without a fight so, the hard way," he said as he changed to his wolf form. With a snarl he attacked Jinhwan first, who moved out of the way and changed, his large dark gray wolf form growling as he attacked Shownu. Yunhyeong watched with a passive look on his face, only stepping in if Shownu proved to be a tough opponent for Jinhwan.

"You know, I thought you'd put up more of a resistance," Yunhyeong said as he turned to Yoongi and JR. Yoongi shrugs. "We've all lost friends and family to hunters at some point, you get used to it," he said. "Mm, I guess," said Yunhyeong.

Jinhwan's wolf form towered over Shownu's wolf form who refused to back down even though he was bleeding heavily now. "Tough guy huh?" Asked Yunhyeong as he shook his head. "Quit with the games Jinhwan, kill him already," he said. Jinhwan snorts before lunging at Shownu and grabbing onto his neck. Shownu stopped fighting now, panting as he accepted his fate. He let out a howl in goodbye before Jinhwan snapped his neck. Yoongi and JR look away but flinch at the sound of the neck snapping.

Jinhwan moved away, shaking his head. Yunhyeong went to grab some clothes before throwing them at Jinhwan who moved out of view to change and put some clothes on. Yunhyeong went over and pet Shownu on the head and closed his eyes. "What a shame, a great alpha killed over some stupid mate thing," he spat. "We'll be back later for the funeral," he said, turning to Yoongi. "If we're invited anyway, we'll return the necklace after the funeral if we aren't allowed to come," he said. Yoongi nodded. "I'll talk to Hyungwon about it, I'm sure he wouldn't mind," he said. "I'll text you with his answer later," he said. Yunhyeong nodded and turned to Jinhwan who walked into view after he had some new clothes on. They left soon after, not wanting to stick around after every kill.

Yoongi and JR went home to see if they could get some shovels and get some help taking Shownu's body to the lake. Daehyun and Changkhyun decided to tag along when Yoongi asked as Minhyuk was left to console a broken Hyungwon, who had retreated to the bathroom to get some peace and quiet.

"I didn't even know him well and I am saddened by this," said Daehyun as he helped Yoongi dig out a grave. "He seemed like a good man, but this is just outright stupid," he said. Yoongi sighed and paused, wiping sweat off his forehead. "Even good men fall," he said. Changkhyun and JR were staring at the frozen lake, waiting for the digging to be finished. Shownu's body was wrapped in a blanket, ready to be put in the grave once it was done.

"Why does the world have to be so cruel?" Asked Daehyun as he continued to dig. "I don't know," mumbled Yoongi as he resumed digging. "Just take care of them alright?" He asked as he turned to Daehyun. "I'm sure you'd want to return home to see your pack before being sent out to your first official mission," he said. Daehyun nodded. "I will, Yongguk is a great alpha, I know he will accept them if Minhyuk and Hyungwon decide to leave with me," he said.

After the hole was deep enough Yoongi and Daehyun climb out, ready to lower the body in. Changkhyun and JR come over and help them lower Shownu's body into the grave. Daehyun and Yoongi proceed to cover up the body with dirt as Changkhyun finally broke down, falling to his knees and sobbing. The only thing JR could do to console Changkhyun was to put a hand on his shoulder in a comforting manner.

They return home after giving Changkhyun a few minutes to say his goodbyes. Jungkook brought him into their room to get some peace and quiet. Yoongi and JR sat in the living room with Daehyun, watching a movie with the volume low.