Crush or Crushed

Ataraxy (HIATUS)
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 9- Crush or Crushed

“But why? What do you even see in a “flirtatious jerk” like me?” Wonwoo said, using his fingers to quote the two words.

“L-let’s continue with our project.” Mingyu said, trying his best to change the subject, burying his face into one of the books he took previously.

“I’m just curious though…” Wonwoo shrugged his shoulders.

“But really? You have a crush on me? Like me of all people?” Wonwoo asked again, chuckling a little when he saw Mingyu turning red. They were discussing about the needs of corporal punishments when someone approached their table.

“Mingyu-ah. What are you doing here?” Jeonghan asked, eyeing Wonwoo in particular.

“Just doing a project…what about you hyung? Weren’t you on some internship lately? What brings you back to school?” Mingyu asked.

“Yeah…I needed some books for my report. He’s your partner? But I thought you were younger than him? How are you guys in the same class? He’s one of those who repeated a year huh?” Jeonghan shot his questions as he stared at Wonwoo, who didn’t back down this time. He stared right back at the older, almost like he was daring the older to do something to him.

“Hyung! He didn’t! It’s just for this module our lecturer decided to merge classes for year 2 and 3s. Please don’t make prejudice judgements about Wonwoo hyung. He’s really nice! I assure you!” Mingyu fought back.

“How many times do I have to tell you to not hang around people like them? Do you even know what his friends are like? They’re practically gangsters who fight on the streets!” Jeonghan exclaimed. His last sentence spoken a little too loud as the people sitting around them started to move away. That was Wonwoo’s last straw. He could take any insults hurled at him. But the moment his friends were spoken ill of, he would attack back.

“You know pretty faces like yourself should get a lesson on how to manage that dirty mouth of yours. Keep spouting nonsense like that about my friends, I’ll make sure that not even a plastic surgeon can fix it back.” Wonwoo threatened, his fists clenched tight as he stood up to look straight into Jeonghan’s eyes.

“Look Mingyu! He’s threatening me like the gangster he is. Can’t you see how toxic people like him are? Has the school’s standards dropped? I can’t believe a person like you is taking a major in law. And those friends of yours. They’re no better. I’ve seen you bastards fight at those back alleys before.” Jeonghan said, smirking when he saw that glint of anger in Wonwoo’s eyes.

“Jeonghan hyung! Stop it! I’m not going to speak to you until you apologize to Wonwoo hyung and his friends. Who was it who told us to never judge a person until you get to know them? And the name calling? Really hyung? Does Jisoo hyung know that you curse? I hope not.” Mingyu retorted. Both Wonwoo and Jeonghan stared at the younger, astonished at his sudden outburst.

“If you don’t mind. Wonwoo hyung and I have other places to be. So until you apologize, don’t contact me at all.” Mingyu said, shoving Wonwoo and his stuff that were previously scattered all over the table, into his bag. He pulled the older’s arm, walking past Jeonghan with no guilt. Jeonghan stared at the younger’s disappearing backview. Mingyu-ah…what’s gotten into you lately? You’ve never spoken to hyung this way before…what has hanging out with that guy done to you?

 

“All right all right! He didn’t follow us out. You can stop huffing and dragging me you big puppy.” Wonwoo said, making Mingyu halt in his steps. Wonwoo stood there with a brow raised, wondering what Mingyu was doing, not moving a muscle.

“Yah. What’s wrong with you now? To think that you were the one complaining about me ignoring-” Wonwoo paused when Mingyu turned around, glaring at him as if he just killed his entire family.

“Why didn’t you stop him and explain things? Why did you let him insult you? All those things he said. They weren’t even true.” Mingyu asked, shaking his head.

“Well…they weren’t exactly…false…I would be lying if I said they weren’t true.” Wonwoo laughed, but it soon died down when he saw how serious Mingyu looked.

“How is it true? None of what he said was true.” Mingyu shot, crossing his arms.

“…well no point trying to convince him when he seemed so sure of himself right? I’m already used to comments like that. Plus…I didn’t want to make him even angrier…” Wonwoo shrugged his shoulders.

“You know…you should just go back and apologize to him for blasting off like that. It doesn’t matter whether he insulted me or not. Just tell him to not talk about my friends that way ever again.” Wonwoo spoke up as he stopped Mingyu from walking further away.

“No. We did nothing wrong. He was the one in the wrong. We can easily sue him defamation. Let’s not forget that we’re the law students…” Mingyu huffed.

“Thank you for speaking for me…I really appreciate it…” Wonwoo said, giving Mingyu a small grin.

“I know you don’t really like me asking questions like these…but why are you so persistent about being friends with me? Like despite your hyung objecting violently…? Do you really have that big a crush on me?” Wonwoo asked.

“I can make my own choices alright! I don’t need people around me to keep telling me what to do and what not to do. I can tell the difference between good and bad. And to me, you’re nothing bad. In fact, you’re one of the nicest people I’ve ever met. And this has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I have a crush on you…whether or not I have a crush on you…I would still stand up against whatever Jeonghan hyung said just now.” Mingyu replied, speeding through his first few sentences, and when he got to the very last sentence, he looked into Wonwoo’s eyes, hoping that the older could get the sincerity of it. Unknown to Mingyu, his very last sentence actually made Wonwoo’s heartbeat accelerate a little.

 “Mingyu-ah. I’m not trying to break your heart or anything…but I think it’s better for you to find a better guy. I’m not worth your feelings and time. I’m a jerk who’s like a ticking bomb. I might just die anytime. I’m pretty sure whatever you’re feeling right now is just an infatuation. It’ll go away after some time.” Wonwoo broke eye contact with the younger. Some part of him wanted the younger to just heed his advice, but most parts of him wanted Mingyu to fight back. . Jeon Wonwoo. What’s gotten into you?

“Who are you to tell me that what I’m feeling is an infatuation?! Do you know how I feel? I’ve never thought that you’re a jerk…but after hearing what you just said…yeah. You’re a jerk alright. You know. You could’ve just pretended like you didn’t hear whatever I said about me having a crush on you. But why did you have to say all that? Just because you don’t have the same feelings? Just because you can’t reciprocate them? You know what? You’re just like Jeonghan hyung…telling me what I should do and what not to do all the time.” Mingyu spat, bumping into Wonwoo’s shoulder as he walked off.

“It’s not that…I’m just afraid that when I do reciprocate the feelings…we’ll both fall too hard and fast…and if we ever need to separate…things are going to get really tough….” Wonwoo whispered to himself as he watched Mingyu’s figure disappear as he turned the corner.

“I knew it. I warned Mingyu all about you. But that stupid boy would never listen to me.” Jeonghan said as he came out from his hiding corner, making Wonwoo flinch a little.

“What the …since when did you get here?” Wonwoo asked, clearly unhappy about Jeonghan’s appearance after all the mean things he said in the library.

“Ever since you started acting like an , breaking my poor kid’s heart.” Jeonghan spat, closing the distance between him and Wonwoo.

“You know nothing. Now please excuse me. I would rather get home and sleep instead of stand here and listen to all the rubbish pouring out of your dirty mouth.” Wonwoo rolled his eyes, about to walk away.

“You listen to me. Don’t you dare go near Mingyu again. You broke his fragile heart once by saying all that bull. If you really don’t have the same feelings he has for you, by all means get the off the face of this planet.” Jeonghan said, tightening his grip on Wonwoo’s collar.

“And if I don’t?” Wonwoo smirked, provoking the anger within Jeonghan. He wanted to see how far he could push the older before hell breaks loose. And if he was being honest, he didn’t expect it to be this soon.

“Then expect this to happen often. I’m not a useless pretty face. I can throw pretty darn good punches like you s do.” Jeonghan threatened, throwing a strong punch to Wonwoo’s face, making him bend over, grasping his face in pain.

“It hurts doesn’t it? I’ve warned you. You better stay away from Mingyu. Bastards like you don’t deserve him.” Jeonghan said before walking away.

“ing hell. I didn’t even get a chance to hit him back…” Wonwoo groaned,

Please log in to read the full chapter