Overdue Regrets

Ataraxy (HIATUS)
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 26- Overdue Regrets

“I-I’ll tell you everything…” Mingyu started speaking, his lips quivering in fear. He was afraid of Wonwoo’s reaction upon knowing the new arrangements he had learnt of during lunch, but nothing frightened him more than the mere thought of the older leaving and breaking up with him at this point in time.

“H-He’ll be moving into the dorms…and I would be expected to share it with him.” Mingyu started, memories of his father’s words and responses during lunch resurfacing. He took the silence between them as consent to carry on, and he finished off with the reluctant reveal of the engagement party that was bound to happen.

“W-Wonnie…I know you’re upset. But please say something…” Mingyu’s voice trembled as the older remained silent and unchanged. He reached out for Wonwoo’s hand which remained still, limp in Mingyu’s grasp, vision fixated on the corner of Mingyu’s room.

“Just what do you expect me to say, Mingyu? Huh?” Wonwoo finally spoke, his voice soft but taut. It seemed like everything Mingyu had just confessed was spinning the little gears in his mind as he turned his head to look straight into Mingyu’s eyes. It was a blank look, sending chills down Mingyu’s spine. Wonwoo was lost, confused at what he was supposed to do or how he should respond in this situation he was thrown into all of a sudden.  

“I want you to say that you’ll not give up too…I want you to keep caring for me like I mean the world to you…I want you to stay here with me…” Mingyu gulped, holding back the tears collated. Please. Tell me that you’ll always be here for me. Before Wonwoo could open his mouth to induce further damage, his ringtone broke the harsh atmosphere. It was a song from 2013, No No No of APink resounding. He was never into bright songs, only setting it as his ringtone due to a dare Jun made.

 

Don’t be sad no no no~ 

You’re not alone no no no~

You always became a light for me

Hold my hand

 Come and lean on me

I’ll always be your strength

 

How am I not supposed to be sad? I don’t even have anyone to lean on. This is a dumb song in general…I need to get it changed… Wonwoo slid his finger across the screen, answering the call despite the desperate pained expression Mingyu seemed to be giving him. The younger wanted assurance from him. 

“Hello? Who is this?” Wonwoo asked. It was a number that wasn’t part of his contacts, only a string of 9 numbers appearing on the screen.

“Is this Mr Jeon Wonwoo? We’re calling from Seoul National University Hospital.” A female voice replied.

“Yeah, I am. What is this call regarding?” Wonwoo’s eyebrows snapped together. SNU hospital? Is it that operation granny had been talking about? I swear she keeps doing these sneaky little behind my back…

“Your grandmother, Jeon Jiwoo, has been admitted into our hospital with a case of Pneumonia. We have tried to contact your father, Jeon Jungmin, who was the first contact in the emergency contact list but he was uncontactable. Thus, we are calling you, the second emergency contact.” The receptionist informed, her voice calm.

“W-What?!” Wonwoo stuttered, his voice coming out as a harsh whisper. Granny is in the hospital?! Everything just had to go wrong today… What is that bastard up to?! He couldn’t even pick up a call when his own mother is in a dire situation?

“Would you be able to come down now to complete the registration for her admittance? The ward unit isn’t confirmed yet as the doctors are still doing some diagnosis.” The receptionist questioned like she didn’t sense Wonwoo’s instilled fear.

“…Y-Yes…I-I’ll be right there. T-Thank you!” Wonwoo ended the call, shoving his phone into his back pocket before turning around to exit. Whatever he had been talking about with Mingyu previously was thrown to the back of his mind, the thoughts of granny laying in a hospital bed occupying him. He could care less about Mingyu’s arranged marriage or their shaky relationship at this moment. He had to get to the hospital, to make sure that granny was safe and sound.

“W-Wonnie?! Where are you going?!” Mingyu’s voice trembled as he followed the older, who making his way out hastily. No…he’s leaving! I can’t…

“I need to go.” Was all Wonwoo said as he stormed through the living room, not caring about the looks Soonyoung and Seokmin was giving him. They may or may not have overheard Mingyu and Wonwoo's conversation. In their defence, they were just concerned. 

“I told you everything! I’m not lying anymore! I promise…I’ll tell you the truth from now on…please don’t leave…Wonwoo…” The beads of tears that he had been holding in since the talk burst out, rolling down Mingyu’s cheeks as he begged, holding onto Wonwoo’s leg as the older struggled to put on his shoes. His roommates could only watch with grimaced expressions, not wanting to intrude into the couple’s relationship problems.  

“We’ll talk another time. I really have to go.” Wonwoo pried Mingyu’s hands away, turning away as he placed his hand on the doorknob, ready to blast off to the hospital.

“I’m sorry! I really am! Wonwoo!” Mingyu wailed, his fingers grasping onto Wonwoo’s jeans. He knew that it would be the last time he’ll be seeing the older if he really left, and it would kill every single living cell within him.

“Soonyoung-ah…come get him will you…?” Wonwoo threw the other a look of frustration, running his fingers through his hair.

“M-Mingyu-ah…come on…he said that he’ll talk to you about it another day…H-He probably has some emergency matters to handle now…” Seokmin consoled, wrapping an arm around Mingyu’s shoulder as Soonyoung created some space between Mingyu and Wonwoo.

“I’m sorry…for this mess…Take care of him for me will you?” Wonwoo sighed, taking one last glance at the trio on the ground. Soonyoung nodded his head despite feeling a little upset that Wonwoo was leaving Mingyu in a devastated wreck. Once Wonwoo was out of the door, Mingyu’s wails turned into loud bawling as he slumped against the door, crying to his heart's content. His world was tumbling down brick by brick, leaving him in pain and agony. It simply tore Seokmin’s heart into pieces to watch Mingyu cry as he patted the other’s back, but it helped him release his emotions. The questions could wait. Mingyu is too broken, and not in the right state of mind to explain anything either.

 

“J-Jeon Jiwoo…How and where is she now? I’m her grandson, Jeon Wonwoo.” Wonwoo stood at the counter with his ID, filling in the registration form with whatever was required. His hands trembled in fear, not knowing the current state his grandma was in. But it definitely had to be bad if she was admitted into a hospital right?

“Oh. It seems like the doctors are done with their evaluations. She’s currently being taken to her ward. You may proceed there.” The nurse in-charge informed, writing down the ward and bed number on a paper for Wonwoo before directing him in the right direction.

Please…please be fine. I can’t live without granny. I don’t know what I’ll do without her. Wonwoo’s lips formed a tight line, tapping his feet anxiously, waiting for the elevator. He rushed straight into the elevator when the doors opened, pressing on the 7th floor button impatiently like it would make things move faster. It didn’t.

“Ward 34…ward 34…” Wonwoo whispered under his breath as his eyes scanned the boards, dashing in the direction when he finally figured out which way to head in. When he was finally there, his hands rested on the doorknob as he calmed himself down, taking deep breaths. Please be okay. Please be okay. The moment Wonwoo stepped into the ward, the typical stench of hospitals hit his nostrils, wincing at the one smell he hated the most. It always reminded him of pain.

“G-Granny…” Wonwoo’s voice came out shaky as he tried to make out granny Jeon’s frail figure through his blurred vision. He blinked away, a tear slowly sliding down his cheek. He wiped it away harshly, clearing his throat to calm h

Please log in to read the full chapter