Drowned In Thoughts

Ataraxy (HIATUS)
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 21- Drowned In Thoughts

Dinner was finished in a somewhat comforting silence, and Hansol pulled out a couple cans of beer for them to share, with the exception of Chan. It was what Hansol called “easing into the topic”. He thought it would make things easier, make the conversation between them flow smoother when alcohol was in their systems. Besides, alcohol was one of Wonwoo’s favourite things in the world. It was supposed to put him in a better mood.

“Hyung…don’t you have something to say?” Hansol nudged Jun with his foot, signalling the older to speak up.

“I have nothing to say…” Jun whispered at Hansol harshly. The apology was bubbling within him, about to spill from the tip of his tongue.

“Well, I was expecting this. Pride over anything else isn’t it?” Wonwoo snorted, finishing up the contents in his first can.

“For one ing second. You guys had me thinking that we were back to being mature adults. Go ahead. Punch and hit one another again. Do it. Make sure to kill the other this time round.” Chan shouted, slamming the table with his palms. He was tired of watching the two bicker. They weren’t making things any better, only scaring Mingyu further. Chan felt so bad for the older, who was so innocent, getting stuck between Jun and Wonwoo.

“I-I just…don’t understand why you’re so hung up about our relationship. You were the one who kept asking me to settle down with someone who makes me happy. Mingyu makes me happy. So obviously I asked him out. Why are you being so upset over us now?” Wonwoo sighed, turning his head to look at Mingyu, who had his head hung low, staring at the ground. He slid his hand down Mingyu’s arm, only to fill the spaces between his fingers with his own. Don’t worry. I’ll always be here for you. He wanted to reassure the younger, and it seemed to work as Mingyu looked up, giving him a nod.

“Fine. I’m sorry for beating your …I acted too rashly. But Wonwoo…I’m trying to protect you. As your best friend, I want nothing but the best for you.” Jun apologized. There’s no way to explain myself without giving away the main gist of things…what the hell am I supposed to say if he asks?!

“I don’t understand what you’re trying to protect me from? Mingyu isn’t capable of hurting me. I demand an apology from you to Mingyu. Do you know how hurt he felt thinking that you hated him?” Wonwoo retorted, raising a brow.

“Look…I’m sorry if I made it look like I hated Mingyu. That was not my aim. I’m really glad that you guys are happy with each other. B-But…there are some people around you guys that are really dangerous. I really don’t wish to see anything happen to anyone. And that includes you Mingyu.” Jun ruffled his hair desperately. There really is no way in doing this. Lord bless my soul…

“Jun. What are you even going on about? Are you keeping something from me?” Wonwoo narrowed his eyes at the other. Even Mingyu was feeling confused.

“Fine! I’ll tell you-” Hansol wrapped his hand around Jun’s mouth, shutting the older up before he could spill any information further. Damage control time. Geez. He must be drunk after a can of beer. He instructs me not tell Wonwoo hyung anything, but here he is about to let everything out.

“Jun hyung must be drunk! Let me take him to bed. You guys can have the rest of the beer, and enjoy yourselves!” Hansol gave an awkward smile before dragging Jun out of the balcony upstairs. Chan shook his head before following suit, leaving the couple behind.

“…are you feeling alright? You look pretty shaken up…” Wonwoo rubbed his hand along Mingyu’s back, concerned about the younger. The way he woke up in tears, and now Jun’s weird speech. It was all too much within a single day.

“I’m fine…just the nightmare…and its effects.” Mingyu shook his head, opening a can of beer near him. He gulped down the entire can in one go, wincing as the gassiness bubbled up his throat.

“Mingyu…are you sure you’re fine?” Wonwoo’s forehead puckered. I thought he never liked alcohol...

“Yeah sure…” Mingyu reached for another can, downing half the can this time. Mingyu was never one to drown his problems, or misery in this case, with alcohol. Wonwoo was kind of caught off guard seeing how the younger gulped down 2 cans of beer within that 5 minutes.

“Mingyu, enough.” Wonwoo stopped the younger as he reached out for another can.

“I’m fine. Worry not.” Mingyu pushed Wonwoo’s hand away, successfully opening another can of beer. If anything, Mingyu’s mind was getting a little blurry with the alcohol hazing it.

“Baby. I know you’re fine. But we don’t need a repeat of the first time we met. Come on. Let’s go to bed.” Wonwoo chuckled, standing up from his chair, holding his hand out as he waited for the younger to follow expectantly.

“It’s still early…go to bed…yourself.” Mingyu groaned. His groans turned into whines when Wonwoo decided to pick him up, entering the house.

“Stop moving around! We’ll just end up falling off the stairs. Yah! Kim Mingyu!” Wonwoo scolded, as the younger tried prying his hands off, wanting to get out of Wonwoo’s arms.

“I never thought I would die from carrying you…” Wonwoo panted as he finally trapped Mingyu in the room, leaning his back against the door as he watched the younger pout and glare at him with his arms crossed while sitting on the bed.

“Wonnie…I’m sorry…” Mingyu apologized as the older’s panting gradually slowed down. He had been watching for the past 5 minutes.

“W-What…? Why?” Wonwoo raised a brow, questioning the sudden change in his mood. One moment he’s all mad at me, the next he looks like he’s about to bawl.

“B-Because of me…y-you’re going to d-die…I don’t want you to die…” Mingyu shook his head.

“I’m not going to die…yet…Let’s get you to sleep…” Wonwoo chuckled. Must be the alcohol…he’s such a lightweight drinker…

“I-I don’t want to…it’s too dark here…w-what if he comes to f-find me?!” Mingyu cried, hiding himself under the sheets, his figure shaking in fear.

“Babe. We can turn the night lamp on. But who’s going to find you? No one can come in here without permission. Mingyu…” Wonwoo pried the sheets away, only to find Mingyu covering his head with his arms.

“Baby…talk to me…I need to know what’s scaring you…it breaks my heart to see you like this and not being able to help…” Wonwoo knelt next to Mingyu, hugging his shaking figure close to his chest. This must be about the nightmare…

“H-Him…” Mingyu slowly looked up at Wonwoo, taking in a deep breath of air as he gulped, tears falling out of his eyes as he blinked them away.

“Him? Who? Jun?” Wonwoo asked, brows clenched together.

“N-No…M-My f-father…” Mingyu winced, squeezing his eyes shut once more as tears welled up.

“The nightmare…it’s about your father?” Wonwoo questioned. Oh no…why do I have a bad feeling about this…

“W-Wonnie…I’m so scared…i-if he ever finds out about us…h-he’ll take me away…a-and lock me away i-inside that dark cupboard l-like always…” Mingyu cried, hiccups in between his sentences.

“No…that wouldn’t happen. I’ll be here to protect you. I’ll never let that happen.” Wonwoo’s jaw tightened at the thought of Mingyu being taken away from him.

“H-He’s a scary man…he would always scold me, beat me up over small things. He didn’t even believe me about that incident…regarding my cousin. A-And the last time I went home, telling my mum about n-not having interests in girls…h-he overheard and told me that I brought s-shame to his family…t-that was why I ran away…” Mingyu huddled into a ball, crying incessantly.

“Maybe…he wasn’t mentally prepared? I guess not everyone is open enough to accept these differences yet.” Wonwoo hesitated as he tried to console Mingyu. Considering how he had never “came out” to anyone before, he didn’t know how the entire process felt like.

“He has never been supportive of me…he didn’t even want me to take up law…wanting me to go into business so I could take over his company in future…He’s going to make me go through…some stupid ty arranged marriage…” Mingyu sobbed into Wonwoo’s chest. A-Arranged marriage?! Wait…h-he’s never told me about this? Wonwoo’s eyes widened at that, his heart dropped in despair all of a sudden. The burning intense determination to protect Mingyu and their relationship from his seemingly devious father was put out with a flick of a finger.

“M-Mingyu…I think you should go to sleep…we’ll talk again tomorrow morning…when you’re feeling better.” Wonwoo cleared his throat, giving Mingyu a tight lipped smile as he laid the younger down.

“D-Don’t go…stay with me…” Mingyu whimpered as he watched Wonwoo get out of bed. The older had just tucked him into bed under the blankets, as he petted Mingyu’s cries away.

“I-I…just want to a drink…Close your eyes. I’ll…be back soon.” Wonwoo made sure Mingyu was truly convinced before he closed the door behind him. Arranged marriage huh… Just when I thought things were going well between us…

 

“Hyung! Wake up! What are you doing here?” Hansol shook the older’s shoulders.

“H-Huh?” Wonwoo’s head snapped up right away, blinking his eyes several times, taking in his surroundings. Oh…I must have dozed off without knowing… He was sitt

Please log in to read the full chapter