Scarred Past

Ataraxy (HIATUS)
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 8- Scarred Past

“T-the lights c-can’t work…” Mingyu sniffed a little as he wiped a tear falling down his left cheek with the back of his hand.

“Let me check your fuse box. The electricity in this building seems to be working fine…” Wonwoo said, as he took off his shoes, stepping into the dorm. Mingyu gripped tightly onto the older’s shirt, following him in.

“I-it’s…there….” Mingyu said, pointing at a box located at the corner of their living room. Wonwoo walked over and as expected he was still too short to reach for it.

“Mingyu-ah, you need to let go. I need to get up on a chair to check the fuse box.” Wonwoo said, as he tried to get up on the chair.

“N-no! Don’t l-leave me alone…c-can’t we g-get on the c-chair together?” Mingyu stuttered, tears streaming down his cheeks. Wonwoo was dumfounded. Did Mingyu really just say what he thought he was saying?

“No. We’ll fall off the chair and probably get a head concussion or something. Come on. Just a little while. I won’t be going anywhere…” Wonwoo sighed. Mingyu finally let go of Wonwoo’s shirt, letting out a soft whimper as his eyes followed the older’s figure.

“Damn it…did you guys pay your bills this month?” Wonwoo asked, as he got down from the chair.

“I-I don’t k-know…” Mingyu sniffed, his hand going back to Wonwoo’s shirt.

“I guess we’ll have to find some candles to light up the place instead…” Wonwoo said, turning on the torch on his phone.

“Any idea where the candles are?” Wonwoo asked, turning around to catch the younger’s attention.

“I-I think…they’re in the cupboard…in the k-kitchen.” Mingyu said, slipping his hand into Wonwoo’s. He tugged on the older’s hand, asking for him to shine the light so that they could get into the kitchen. They found a few large candles, bringing them back into Mingyu’s room and lighting them up to brighten the room.

“Ah…you should take a shower. Let’s bring these to the toilet instead.” Wonwoo said, picking up the candles, placing them around the toilet to make sure it was well-lit.

“I’ll just…wait outside.” Wonwoo said, turning around to leave the toilet but Mingyu was not letting go of his hand just yet.

“S-stay here with m-me…please?” Mingyu begged.

“B-but…you do know that a shower means you got to be right? And you do know that you’re asking me to stay here and watch you shower?” Wonwoo asked, shooting Mingyu a weird look. The younger nodded his head nonetheless, desperate for company.

“No. No…sorry man…I can’t…” Wonwoo shook his head, holding onto the basin as he pulled himself up.

“Pleaseeeeee? I-I really need t-this shower…I-I…can’t…stop feeling…i-it’s like t-those guys’ h-hands are s-still on m-me…” Mingyu whined, holding onto Wonwoo’s arm.

“F-fine fine…you win…” Wonwoo sighed, sitting back down on the ground. He had his back facing the shower, just so he didn’t have to see a Mingyu showering. As much as he liked flirting with the younger, he knew exactly where to draw a line, and to not take advantage of him when he was in a vulnerable state. What did I do to deserve all these? Now I have to babysit this giant? Jesus Christ…

“Thank you…” Mingyu let out a small smile before stepping into the shower, trying to wash off the feelings he had when the drunkards touched him. He hated it. It made him feel so dirty. He scrubbed himself hard, not wanting a single trace of their touch to linger.

“Hey…I think at this rate…you’ll be scrubbing off all your skin…” Wonwoo teased when he heard the younger furiously washing up. He was getting a little concerned when no replies were given, and only the sounds of furious scrubbings could be heard. I mean…I’m concerned about this kid. It wouldn’t hurt to just turn around and take a peek right? I don’t need him to bleed to death after scrubbing all his skin off. Wonwoo turned his head slightly and he was shocked to see a few scars on Mingyu’s hips. What the actual ? Wait…this kid…he must have some kind of problem. For sure. Explains him acting weirdly after those guys touched him. Wonwoo whipped his head back, not sure of how he should approach the younger about those scars he just saw. If he asked Mingyu about it, then he might as well just continue staring at the younger’s body.

“I-I’m done…” Mingyu announced when he was done putting on his clothes, towel splayed over his head. Wonwoo nodded, picking up the candles carefully, leading the way back to Mingyu’s room. The younger offered Wonwoo one of his hoodie and some shorts to change into.

“You can…share the bed with me…I don’t mind.” Mingyu said, seeing how awkwardly Wonwoo was laying against the wall next to his bed upon changing his clothes. Wonwoo hesitated for a moment, before moving up, trying to make himself as comfortable as possible.

“L-look…I didn’t mean to…but I saw those scars…what happened?” Wonwoo asked, flipping over to face Mingyu.

“I’m just…concerned…you look really frightened…did something happen?” Wonwoo persisted when Mingyu remained silent.

“Hey…don’t be afraid. No one’s here to hurt you…it’s okay if you don’t want to talk about it…” Wonwoo whispered, patting Mingyu’s cheeks when the younger started to shake. Something really bad must have happened…he seems really scarred… Wonwoo could feel himself frowning, but he tried to keep a poker face, not wanting to frighten the younger further.

“…I-I used to have a c-cousin…who l-lived with my f-family…B-but…one day…I-I saw him doing t-things to my s-sister….and so I confronted h-him about it…a-and he said he’ll s-stop only i-if I l-let him t-touch me…” Mingyu’s eyes were tightly shut, but a tear or two still managed to escape. Holy …h-he was…abused?! . No wonder. Wonwoo clenched his jaw, clearly upset about whatever happened to Mingyu. It may have happened in the past, but the younger was still affected. Obviously it would. It would scar a person for life.

“I-I feel so dirty e-everytime he touches me…and whenever I shower…I would scrub so hard…trying to scratch away…that disgusting touch. H-he moved to the States after a year of t-torturing…and I n-never told anyone about i-it…I tried so hard to forget…b-but I can’t…e-especially…w-whenever someone t-touches me…” Mingyu sobbed.

“Nobody. Will ever touch you that way again. I promise. Everything’s going to be okay. Trust me.” Wonwoo said, pulling Mingyu into his chest, gently patting the younger’s head. The sobs didn’t stop, tears still staining the younger’s cheeks. How much of a trauma must it have been for the usually cheerful Mingyu to cry non-stop?

“Now let’s think of good thoughts. So there are no more worries. You can rest for a moment. Don’t think about anything…” Wonwoo sang, trying to soothe the younger.

It only took him a few lines before he heard light snores coming from below, sobs softening down to sniffs. Never knew he had such a past to him…he just opened up pretty easily…and he seemed so cheerful...and positive…

 

 

As Mingyu opened his eyes, he looked around his room to see that sunlight had already started beaming through the windows. He looked to his side, disappointed to see that it was empty. What was I even expecting…of course he would be gone. Hearing my story…he must have been disgusted. Urgh. Kim Mingyu. You need to stop trusting people so easily.

“Oh? You’re up? I was just about to wake you up…I made breakfast…instant noodles actually…” Wonwoo stepped into the room. Mingyu was surprised, not expecting the older to have actually stayed for the night and even made breakfast for him. He noticed that the sleeves of the hoodie he lent to the older was a little too long, but Wonwoo looked adorab

Please log in to read the full chapter