Check-Up

Ataraxy (HIATUS)
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 5- Check-Up

Ah…of all people. Why did it have to be him…? Wonwoo groaned internally, as he trudged up the steps, heading to where Mingyu was seated.

“Morning! Guess we’re partners!” Mingyu said, a little too excited. Why was he so excited that his partner was Wonwoo? There were two possibilities. One, he knew Wonwoo, so that meant that there wouldn’t be awkward introductions. Two, he found the older a little attractive, and he wanted to know the older more, and thus getting partnered with him was the perfect chance to spend more time with him. Mingyu believed he was excited because of the first possibility. But, it was more likely to be the second possibility.

“Yeah…must for you huh…to be stuck with me…” Wonwoo mumbled to himself, his hands stuck in his pockets as he stood next to Mingyu’s seat.

“H-huh? What do you mean?” Mingyu asked, a little confused about Wonwoo’s attitude. Just yesterday the older was teasing him, acting friendly and stuff. But today, he seems like a total different person, putting up a…cold front?

“Nothing…so what are we supposed to be doing for this assignment?” Wonwoo asked, pushing his glasses up.

“Ah…would you like to read some of the notes I took down?” Mingyu asked, pushing his notebook towards Wonwoo. He watched the older read, not even glancing away. The way Wonwoo’s eyebrows would unconsciously clench together, trying to understand the written words.

“We were actually…supposed to get to know each other for the rest of this lecture…” Mingyu spoke up when Wonwoo looked like he was done scanning the notes.

“I don’t think that’s necessary…we know each other anyways.” Wonwoo said, looking in another direction acting like he was bored of talking to Mingyu.

“W-well that’s true…but I thought like…we could g-get to…know each other’s interest and stuff…s-since we’re going to be working together…” Mingyu stuttered. The sudden change in the older’s attitude was scaring him. Why is he acting so…cold today? Is he angry about yesterday…? What Jeonghan hyung said? That must be it!

“Hey…erm. About yesterday…I’m really sorry about what Jeonghan hyung said there…He really didn’t mean it! He’s just…very judgemental.” Mingyu apologized. He hoped that the apology would be enough to bring back the older’s teasing side. But luck didn’t seem to be on his side today.

“It’s fine. I’m sure he knows you better than I do. Just listen to him and stay away.” Wonwoo said coldly, maintaining a straight face.

“N-no! That’s not true! I really want to be friends with you!” Mingyu said, his eyes widening when the older stood up.

“W-where are you going? L-lessons aren’t over yet…” Mingyu asked, his hand grasping onto Wonwoo’s wrist.

“You don’t have to care…just tell Professor Kim I went to the washroom.” Wonwoo said curtly, leaving the lecture theatre by its backdoor. He must be really upset… I screwed up… Mingyu sighed, lying his head on the table, feeling lost. Well, his partner was not around, so he couldn’t do much about the assignment at this point in time. He picked up his bag, looked around before carefully creeping out of class. It was rare for Mingyu to skip classes, but today was an exception. He didn’t know why, but he just couldn’t stand staying in the lecture theatre for another minute knowing that Wonwoo was upset at him. He strolled along the hallways, not having a destination in mind. He kept walking down, and eventually stopped upon hearing someone singing.

“Even though we don’t know, when our last will be. Even if something happens, and we can’t see each other. Lean on me. Lean on me. Lean on me. Lean on me.” A deep but soothing voice sang. It sounded so…sad and heart breaking. Mingyu couldn’t help but peek through the small glass panel on the door, wanting to see the person who seemed to hold so much sorrow. Wonwoo? He gasped, shocked to find out that the older could actually sing so well. As he continued staring, he noticed the older removing his glasses before wiping tears off his cheeks. Wonwoo pulled his knees close up to his chest, wrapping his head underneath his arms. Mingyu felt a tug in his heart. Why does he always seem so upset when he’s alone…? And it probably that he has to deal with all those sadness alone…should I…go cheer him up…? But he probably doesn’t want my presence there… Unknowingly, Mingyu had already started walking up to the older, rubbing his back, making his presence known. He sat next to the older, their arms touching.

Wonwoo was clearly shocked, his head shot up at the contact. He didn’t expect anyone to be around this area at this timing. Most people were having classes. When he saw Mingyu staring right into his eyes, he immediately looked away, scooting away from the younger.

“Hyung…I don’t know why you’re feeling so…sad…but I just thought…you shouldn’t be alone…” Mingyu said, slightly disappointed that Wonwoo was still treating him coldly, ensuring a distance from him.

“Just. Go away. I don’t need anyone…” Wonwoo said harshly, pushing Mingyu’s hand that was reaching out for his arm.

“I-I’m sorry…but I just…wanted to be friends…I really don’t care what Jeonghan hyung thinks…” Mingyu sighed, standing up.

“I hope you feel better soon…” Mingyu said, before closing the door behind him.

 

“Urgh…you ed up once more Jeon Wonwoo…What the hell are you doing with your life…?! Why did you hurt that innocent boy? He obviously just wants to be your friend. Stop pushing him away…” Wonwoo groaned, hitting his forehead once he thought Mingyu was gone. But what he didn’t know was that Mingyu had actually stayed outside the room. He didn’t actually leave the older alone, afraid that he might do something silly. And when he heard what Wonwoo said, the sides of his lips tugged upwards.

Wonwoo looked at the time, sudden realization hit him that it was almost time for lunch. He remembered that he had to ask one of his friends to tag along with him for his check-up. Not that he really wanted their presence, but he had to do it so that Chan and Hansol feels secure. Both boys had their friends’ numbers so really, there was no escape for Wonwoo. He walked out of the room, only to see Mingyu standing by the door awkwardly. Oh shucks…did he hear me? Oh god. He must have. Wonwoo rolled his eyes, walking pass the younger. Mingyu shrugged his shoulders, following Wonwoo from behind.

“Go away. Do as your hyung says…stop following me.” Wonwoo instructed, not turning around to spare Mingyu a glance.

“W-who’s following you…? I can go wherever I want to…” Mingyu answered. Wonwoo shook his head, but what the younger said was true. It wasn’t like he had any control on him.

 

“Hey Gyu! Over here! We’re going to have lunch with Jun’s gang today!” Soonyoung hollered across the cafeteria, waving his arms frantically at Mingyu. The younger looked away, embarrassed by the actions of his friend. He got his food before making his way over, sitting right beside Seokmin. There was another empty seat next to him, which he assumed was left empty for Wonwoo because it was right next to Jun.

“Wonwoo hyung! Come sit with us!” Minghao called out when he spotted the older walk towards another table. Wonwoo froze in his steps when he was caught, sheepishly walking to their usual table.

“Where were you going hyung? Don’t we always eat lunch together?” Minghao asked innocently.

“Hao, let him eat in peace…” Jun shushed his boyfriend. Jun could tell just by Wonwoo’s expressions that he was having a rough day. Wonwoo mouthed a small ‘thanks’ before digging into his food unwillingly. He was just playing with the contents, pushing them around the plate with his fork.

“Hyung! Stop playing with your food…” Minghao chided, gently hitting Wonwoo’s hand. The older let out a long sigh, causing his friends to turn and give him their attention.

“I need…someone…” Wonwoo started his sentence, having long pauses between the words. His friends nodded their heads, indicating that they were listening and asked him to go on.

“To…accompany me…to the hospital after school.” Wonwoo finished, whispering the last part of his sentence.

“It’s today?” Seungcheol asked, putting down his spoon. Wonwoo nodded, looking down at his food.

“Oh damn…sorry Won…Minghao and I have some club stuff to handle…” Jun apologized, guilt evident on his face. Wonwoo nodded his head. He understood that it was qui

Please log in to read the full chapter