Time Apart

Ataraxy (HIATUS)
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 22- Time Apart

“Okay…all we know is that Wonwoo’s going through some… really hard right now. This happens every year, but he seems to be taking things a little harder this year. Wonwoo’s thoughts are jumbled up, and he needs time alone. To think. That’s why we left him alone, and it wouldn’t be a good idea to disrupt him. He might lose his temper, but that’s not what he wants, which is why he’s avoiding us. He’ll gradually come back and join us once he’s ready, and he’ll open up.” Jun started explaining. Mingyu had no idea where the older was leading him to. He was just blindly following, paying close attention to every word that was coming out of Jun’s mouth.

“So I’m supposed to just stay around and do nothing but watch my boyfriend suffer? He has always been there for me…comforting me…even before we got together. Why can’t I do the same for him?” Mingyu asked, looking at Jun, as if the older held all the answers to his questions.

“It isn’t easy for us to watch either, but what choice do we have?! You think it’s fun to watch him skip meals and cry to sleep every single night? You think I feel nothing watching him come home with bruises on god knows which part of his body?! What’s the point of you being there for him when you’re one of the reasons why he’s in this state?!” Jun shouted as he stared at Mingyu as if the younger had just committed the worst crime.

“W-What…?” Mingyu blinked, staring straight into Jun’s eyes. M-My fault?! The older looked away immediately after he realized that he just blurted out that one thing Wonwoo clearly instructed them to not talk about.

“W-What do you mean…that I’m one of the r-reasons…?” Mingyu stuttered, taking a step forward, closing the gap between Jun and him.

“J-Jun hyung! What do you mean?!” Mingyu had a strong grip on Jun’s shirt. He pulled the older up, making it possible for him to make look straight into his eyes.

“I-I…wasn’t supposed to say that. Sorry.” Jun winced, closing his eyes shut as Mingyu pulled the older closer, his tight grip not loosening a bit.

“Mingyu! Stop!” A familiar deep hoarse voice reverberated through the hallways. The younger’s eyes widened, his arms dropping to his sides, doing as commanded. He turned around, heart beating at an insane rate, echoing in his ears. The man he had been searching for ever since his text messages had gone seen but un-replied.

“W-Won? What are you doing here?” Jun asked, holding Mingyu’s arm back, trying to prevent the younger from approaching Wonwoo.

“I-It’s okay…just let him come over…” Wonwoo gulped as he heard the soft whines coming from Mingyu after being restricted by Jun. I thought I could stop myself….but it turns out I’m so much softer for him than I thought…

“W-Wonnie…” Mingyu cried, wrapping his arms around Wonwoo’s torso tight. The not-long found guilt and resounding fear that had been eating away at his soul was now released through his outburst of tears. He missed his boyfriend’s presence, warmth and scent.

“W-Wonwoo…I thought you didn’t want to…” Jun tried to figure out the situation before him, but Wonwoo stopped him, holding a hand up.

“I-It’s fine…Let me try to handle him…I'll call you guys if anything crops up. Thanks anyways…for trying.” Wonwoo grimaced at Mingyu’s growing sobs and loud cries.

“Be careful…” Jun gave one last glance before heading back to the cafeteria, leaving the couple alone.

“Mingyu-ah…” Wonwoo sighed as he looked down at the younger, who was holding onto him tightly, afraid that he might disappear once more.

 “Come on…let’s go somewhere else…” Wonwoo pulled away from the hug, reluctant to look at Mingyu. It’ll only break his heart further, and he’ll end up feeling even more lost than before.

 

“Mingyu…stop crying…I-I’m not worth of your tears…Didn’t we make that promise? You’re not supposed to cry because of me…” Wonwoo ruffled his hair in frustration, seated on the benches. They were in the building just behind the faculty of Law, a place where most students avoid due to the poorly constructed building. This was Wonwoo’s hideout. The naturally silent tranquillity created the perfect atmosphere for him to sort out his thoughts.

“…why didn’t you tell me anything…I was so scared that I did something wrong…and it turns out I did…I don’t want to lose you…” Mingyu’s cries were muffled, burying his face in Wonwoo’s chest as he crawled into the older’s lap. He didn’t like the distance keeping them apart.

“It has nothing to do with you…” Wonwoo retorted immediately, his brows snapping together in annoyance. Mingyu’s crying was driving him up the wall. There was no way he could think like that. Jun made things worse…now everything is just spiralling into a bigger mess.

“Can’t you just tell me everything…? I don’t like being in the dark…” Mingyu hiccupped, shaking his head as he wrapped his arms around Wonwoo’s neck.

“I-I…I’ll deal with everything myself. I don’t need anyone’s help.” Wonwoo squeezed his eyes shut. Don’t hurt him…he’s innocent. He doesn’t know a thing…

“But I want to help…I don’t like seeing you in pain like now…W-Wonwoo…” Mingyu whimpered as the older tried to pry his hands away.  Stop pushing me away…please…

“E-Everything’s happening too fast…I don’t have a single clue, what’s more figuring out the situation…I don’t know what to do anymore Mingyu…” Wonwoo sighed, resting his chin on Mingyu’s shoulder. There was no point in fighting against Mingyu at this point, the younger was too stubborn to let go.

“Tell me…what happened. We can solve everything together.” Mingyu cleared his throat, wiping his tears away, as he tore away from Wonwoo’s chest. He then rested his face in the crook of the older’s neck, his gentle breaths sending little chills down Wonwoo’s spine.

“He came back yesterday…which wasn’t even part of the plan…and somehow he knew… your name…” Wonwoo gulped, the different scenarios running through his mind. Mingyu’s soft breathing next to his ear was putting him into a peaceful state. The troubles he had in his mind weren’t attacking his emotions as much. Knowing him, he must have some connections with Mingyu…But what is it…? I don’t think I’ve done enough to irritate him to that extent. What if…the price that I have to pay in order to get that surgery done is to give Mingyu up…? Or…it might be Mingyu’s father…orchestrating this entire thing… What if they were business partners…?

“Mingyu…I don’t want you getting hurt…w-what if he’s up to no good…? All these years… he’s only caused us pain…” Wonwoo clenched his fists. That man…is the bane of my existence…

“Your father’s back? Don’t think that way…maybe granny told him…and he’s just concerned…?” Mingyu reasoned. So…that’s all he was worried about?

“That man. He hates me so much…there’s no way he’s concerned about me at this point in time. He’s probably just wishing for my death.” Wonwoo scoffed. Concerned about me? I’ll never buy that bull.

“Mingyu…you should just…stay away from me for the time being. At least until I find out what that bastard is up to…” Wonwoo withdrew himself, looking down while his fingers fidget nervously.

“C-Can’t we hang out together in school…? You can come over to our dorm if you want too…I-I don’t want to be away from you…” Mingyu pouted, looking up at Wonwoo with his ever-so-effective and pitiful puppy eyes. There was no way the older could reject him.

“M-Mingyu-ah…” Wonwoo was about to reject the younger’s offers when he noticed tears welling up in his eyes once more.

“You didn’t even reply my texts…I was so worried that something might’ve happened…” Mingyu let out a soft cry, his face scrunched up, another round of crying about to start.

“Okay okay…I’ll reply your texts…but let’s keep our meetings to the minimum for now. I promise. We’ll go on dates more often once I get my head sorted out.” Wonwoo’s thumb reached out for Mingyu’s cheek, wiping away his tears.

“P-Promise?” Mingyu held out his pinky finger, eliciting laughter from the older. He must be feeling better…he’s laughing… Wonwoo hooked his own pinky around Mingyu’s, smiling for the first time ever since his day started.

“Babe…it’s time to go for lessons.” Wonwoo ran his fingers through Mingyu’s hair. The younger was laying on the bench, head on Wonwoo’s lap.

“Noooooo…I don’t want to…I want to stay here with you.” Mingyu pouted, crossing his arms as he glared up at Wonwoo.

“Come on…I don’t need you getting expelled because of me.” Wonwoo tried lifting Mingyu’s head, but the younger was persistent and he put in more strength, forcing his head back into Wonwoo’s lap. He gave a victorious smile when Wonwoo gave up.

“If you don’t get up…I’m going to…kiss you.” Wonwoo smirked, leaning down towards Mingyu. His smirk faltered a little as Mingyu stared straight into his eyes, as if luring and daring him.

“You’ll regret this so bad.” Wonwoo slowly closed the gap between them, still staring straight into Mingyu’s eyes.

“I wouldn’t.” Mingyu whispered back. Wonwoo stopped in mid-air, hesitating on whether he should do it or not. But…there’s no going back once we do it. I can’t taint him… Before he could even come to a decision, Mingyu propped himself up with his elbows, placing his lips against Wonwoo’s, eyes fluttering shut as he applied more pressure. Stop being a coward Jeon Wonwoo! He’s already taken the first step. Wonwoo leaned into the kiss, one of his hand sliding up Mingyu’s back, supporting his head by his nape. Mingyu’s lips softened as Wonwoo parted his lips, sweeping them against Mingyu’s, kissing his top lip first, then his bottom. Mingyu’s eyes shot open the moment Wonwoo pulled away, immediately chasing after the older’s lips, placing one last peck.

The rest of his day went pass as a blur, their first kiss replaying non-stop in his mind like a broken tape. Ahhh….Kim Mingyu…you’re so embarrassing. Acting like a high school gir

Please log in to read the full chapter