Resolved Fear

Ataraxy (HIATUS)
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 27- Resolved Fear

It would be an understatement to describe the situation at their usual lunch table the following Monday with the word awkward. It was more than that – hostility would be a better word. Seokmin and Jun were glaring at each other, sending invincible daggers through their eyes while stabbing at their food aimlessly. What spiralled the sudden rivalry between them? Well, both of them were close confidantes of Mingyu and Wonwoo and heard their sides of the story. Initially, Jun’s primary target wasn’t Seokmin but Mingyu. However, the younger was so trapped in his own thoughts that it didn’t occur to him and being his best friend, Seokmin couldn’t stand seeing Mingyu getting blamed for everything. He leaned forward towards the table, blocking Jun from his constant stares at Mingyu.

Unbeknown to the hostile atmosphere he was in, Mingyu stared at his phone, pressing the home button once every few minutes, hoping to receive a message from Wonwoo. It was a miracle Mingyu could pull himself out of bed to attend classes and even have the courage to join them for lunch at the cafeteria despite the odd chances of meeting Wonwoo. Maybe, just maybe, he was hoping to see the older. Afterall, they didn’t officially break up and perhaps Wonwoo just needed time to think.

“Waiting for his texts? You sure are thick skinned…expecting him to contact you after all that you came up with?” Jun scoffed, rolling his eyes at Mingyu. Needless to say, he definitely had an unpleasant impression of the younger now. Mingyu kept mum, chewing on his lips as he looked down at his bowl.

“Although you’re our hyung, but can you please mind your own ing business?” Seokmin hissed. He definitely wasn’t going to sit there and watch his closest buddy being drowned with sarcastic remarks. It’s not like Mingyu wasn’t suffering enough.

“Minnie…tone down…” Soonyoung rubbed circles on his boyfriend’s back, hoping to calm the younger down.

“Let’s drop all formalities then. You wanna fight? Come on out.” Jun stood up from his seat, rolling his sleeves as he gestured for Seokmin to follow him. Minghao tugged at his arm, brows crossed as he shook his head. Don’t do this here. Not now. Hurting Mingyu is the last thing you want because hurting him is as good as hurting Wonwoo hyung.

“Guys…please…don’t do this…not here.” Soonyoung begged, his eyes full of pity as he threw a glance at Mingyu. The younger was now cowering under his arms, folding over himself while shaking in fear.

“Forget it. Hao…I’m heading to the hospital…those two are probably still there…they’ll just starve to death if I don’t force food into their systems. Come find me when you’re done with classes okay?” Jun sighed, his expressions softened as he cupped Minghao’s left cheek. Upon hearing this, Mingyu lifted his head cautiously. It can’t be…Wonwoo’s in the hospital?! But…why? But he said two…who else? He scanned the table, ticking the invincible list of names in his head. Hansol! He’s not here too! The two of them? Why are they in the hospital? Did something happen to one of them? Or is it another one of Wonwoo’s health check-ups? It’s nothing serious right? He was dying to ask, worried and anxious about Wonwoo’s whereabouts, but he knew that there was no way Jun would answer his question.

“What about your classes? You’re not even going to hit the minimum attendance at this rate!” Minghao raised a brow. He’s leaving me again…for them…

“I’m skipping classes. No longer in the mood…might as well drown myself in the agony like them. Don’t worry…I’ll just have to retake the module if I fail it.” Jun shrugged, giving Minghao a soft peck, swiftly making his way out of the cafeteria before the younger could convince or threaten him into attending classes.

“Aish…he’s always skipping classes…I can’t stand this guy…” Minghao complained to no one in particular, ruffling his hair in frustration.

“Minghao…something’s up right? Who’s in the hospital?” Soonyoung questioned, his usual mischievous demeanour missing, in place was a serious look. The male in question cleared his throat, eyes darting around anxiously. How was he supposed to answer Soonyoung’s question? Jun would get so mad if Minghao told their supposed “enemies” and there was no way he was putting his relationship on the line.

“S-Sorry hyung…I’m not supposed to…” Minghao apologized, his guilt amplified when eye contact was made with Mingyu. Oh damn it…why did he just leave me here alone after spilling ½ of the story. I swear to god…he can sleep on the sofa for the next few days. That is if he even comes home… Jun had been staying out alongside Wonwoo and Hansol, leaving Minghao alone in his dorm.

“M-Minghao…can’t you tell us?” Mingyu finally spoke after keeping it within himself for the past few hours, his voice hoarse from the lack of use.

“Tell us, please? We promise not to tell anyone else! They won’t even know it was you!” Seokmin joined the pleading. He knew the talk between Wonwoo and Mingyu was inevitable and if it would help Mingyu feel better knowing where and what the older was doing, he’d just have to it up for Mingyu’s sake.

“Guys…” Minghao sighed, rubbing his temples. His previously firm stand of not speaking a word was now shaken. I would really love to tell them everything I know…but it’s so obvious that I was the one who told them… He really would tell them, seeing how there would be a chance of Mingyu and Wonwoo piecing things back into their relationship and Jun would perhaps pay more attention to him.

“Look, they wouldn’t know who said it. Jun was the one who brought it up anyways, remember?” Soonyoung reasoned, earning himself what seemed like a look of shock and pride from Seokmin.

“Yeah! He’s right! We can just push the blame to Jun if we get busted!” Seokmin nodded his head, eyes wide open to the extent that it looked like it was about to pop out of his sockets. Kwon Soonyoung is using his brains for once!

“Huh?! Pushing the blame to Jun? That’ll be…mean of me…” Minghao had a look of disbelief. …What should I do…

“You do know we can just stalk you and eventually find them right?” Soonyoung raised a brow, seeming to be teasing Minghao on his lack of quick thinking. Minghao blinked his eyes repeatedly, the few choices he had swimming around in his mind.

“They’re all at SNU hospital. The one located near the Med block. I’ll take the blame if anything happens. Go fight it out with Jeon Wonwoo and make sure he gets a bruised face.” Jihoon smirked, giving the group the answer Minghao was so reluctant to give as he headed towards their table.

“Hyung!” Minghao gasped, shaking his head at the older who lurked around their table. Oh great….he’s here to start more problems…

“If I were to give you an advice, just dump Jeon Wonwoo before he dumps you. Whatever problems you guys have right now, it’s probably just an excuse for him to drop you because he’s tired of playing around with you. Granny in the hospital is a perfect coincidence for him to avoid you. He’ll keep avoiding you until the next time you guys see each other, he probably has a new relationship and you’ll just be that pathetic little child bawling his eyes out.” Jihoon gritted his teeth, fist clenched together. Jeon Wonwoo is a piece of trash. I speak nothing but the truth. It’s so annoying to see things go his way…he really needs to get dumped and find out how it feels like to have his feelings punched back into his face.

“Hyung! Don’t say that! You haven’t seen how happy Wonwoo hyung is around Mingyu. His feelings for Mingyu are definitely real, and he’ll not dump Mingyu!” Minghao defended.

“Sure…that’s what everyone thought back then. Look what happened? You were there too weren’t you?” Jihoon taunted, a smirk appearing when he saw Mingyu’s face turning pale upon imagining Wonwoo breaking up with him.

“Jihoon hyung! That’s going too far…Seungcheol hyung said to never bring it up again!” Minghao shouted, standing up as he slammed his hands on the table.

“Don’t bring Seungcheol up now…Level 7, ward 34.” Jihoon growled at Minghao before faking a smile as he gave Mingyu the direct details, waving as he left their table. Now all I gotta do is sit and watch the drama unfold. Jeon Wonwoo…karma is about to get you good.

 

“He’ll be fine! Come on Minnie…Jisoo hyung is waiting for us downstairs!” Soonyoung tugged on his boyfriend’s arm. They’ve gathered at the hospital after their lessons and are now standing outside the ward, Minghao peeking through the small window of the door while Mingyu stood before his friends, hesitant about staying behind alone with Wonwoo and the rest.

“If anything crops up, I mean literally anything, call me and I’ll come pick you up. Don’t let any one of those s lay a finger on you. I mean it.” Seokmin reminded, somewhat reluctant to leave Mingyu. He didn’t want to see him all torn and tattered once more.

“Minghao, you’ll take care of him right? Okay great, let’s get going. Send Wonwoo’s grandma our wishes for her to recover fast! Bye kids!” Soonyoung spoke as quickly as he could, dragging Seokmin back towards the lift waiting area even before Minghao and Mingyu could respond.

“Let’s go…” Minghao gave Mingyu a reassuring pat on his back, leading him into the ward. There was no going back. This would make or break everything they had, for both Minghao and Mingyu.

The moment Mingyu’s eyes landed on Wonwoo as he stepped into the ward, he held back his breath, heart sinking. That was not the Wonwoo he met at the party

Please log in to read the full chapter