A Fleck of Hope

Basic

44/48
Four hours before her departure, two hours left for her to be with her cherished friends.

It was 12:00 noon sharp. Lunch break. Nayeon's next exam, Calculus, will be at precisely 2:00pm. The exact hour she has to leave for the airport. All the mind picking, midnight oil burning, sleep depriving, no fun reviews were futile. It was only the reviews that were wasted, never the time spent. Because all those moments were with Jeongyeon, and Nayeon couldn't have spent it any other way.

Nayeon and Mina exited their classroom and headed towards the cafeteria. And as they entered the said facility, they easily spotted the Yoo sisters from the crowd. Nayeon had her eyes glued on Jeongyeon; she'll never get tired of just staring at her. She wanted to fill her head with images of her and her friends. Up until they took their respective seats, Nayeon's gaze on Jeongyeon was still intact, and her body reacted to it making her reach out and run her fingers through the latter's short hair.

"Your hair's getting longer." Nayeon spoke with affection in her voice, smiling sincerely at her.

"Would you want me to cut it short?" Jeongyeon smiled back, making Nayeon's heart sting.

"No. Let it grow. I'd like to see you with long hair." Nayeon said soothingly.

But will she ever? Nayeon knew it was far fetched. She can't help it though, she'll say every word that she needs to see Jeongyeon's smiles for the last few times. It's bloody painful and heartbreaking but she can't think of any other way for the closure of her feelings for Jeongyeon. She doesn't want to leave with having the last image of Jeongyeon crying pinned on her thoughts. As much as possible, as selfish as it seems, Nayeon wants, no, needs Jeong's smile in order not to mentally and emotionally break down at how depressingly miserable her life is.

The four heads ate lunch together with the three not having the slightest clue that it would be their last with Nayeon. She smiled at Mina and Chaeyoung's innocent and pure love, it was so soothing that Nayeon doesn't have to worry about leaving Mina. She knows Chaeyoung will take care of her and fill the gaps in her heart that Nayeon couldn't. Mina deserves only the best, she thanked God Chaeyoung arrived. But with Jeongyeon, it was hard. It was unbelievably difficult for Nayeon to restrain herself from clinging unto her and never let go. She purposely didn't initiate any skinship ever since this morning to avoid her desperate need to just cry helplessly in front of her and maybe ask her to elope. It was still pointless if they moved away, Nayeon thought, her father was no ordinary man. He will find them and make them suffer. That was the last thing she wanted Jeongyeon to feel- Im Siwon's spiteful wrath.

"You kept staring at me since earlier. You're thinking of some kind of plot, aren't you?" Jeongyeon said, a playful smile on the edges of .

Nayeon had to chuckle bitterly at how ironic the sentence sounded. She thought Nayeon had a plot in mind but it was actually a plot twist that's meant to end in tears.

"Is it wrong to stare at the property I own?" Nayeon gave her very best shot to look like her narcissistic self; to give off the smug smirk that was known as her trademark.

Everything was mute to Nayeon's ears and every movement was in slow motion. As absurd as it sounds, she's trying her best to stop time. Jeongyeon was telling her something interesting, judging from that captivating grin she's displaying and the mirth on the edges of her eyes. Nayeon was busy memorizing every bit of her small, attractive as hell face. And just like how unfair and agonizing the speed of time is, the school bell rang. 1:30. Time to head back to their rooms to prepare for another joust with sheets of paper.

30 minutes left.

"I'll be going ahead, unnies." The youngest one said,

"I still have to make sure I sit beside the smartest one." Chaeyoung chuckled at her own remark.

"Wait. I have something for you." Nayeon said while fishing out something from her handbag,

"I found this in my room. I'm not really the poetic type so you can have it." She handed Chaeng the collector's item, limited edition, overly expensive Parker pen that was just lying on her desk for a period of time.

Nayeon smiled when she saw Chaeyoung's face light up. It was the least she could do as gratitude for making Mina happy.

The remaining three fixed their things and reviewed some crucial points of their next exam. Nayeon mentally winced when Jeongyeon kept on smiling at her and saying that she's sure Nayeon could ace the exam. And another ache for Mina saying they'll graduate together with no sweat. It wasn't easy. Nayeon wanted to scream and bawl but she has to keep her together.

15 minutes left.

They went out of the cafeteria and walked the hallway. Their rooms were close to each other. Nayeon hated walking in the always crowded hallways of their school, most students were of such a nuisance; shouting, running here and there. But today there was this unknowing silence that deafened her, it was like the school knew her departure and is giving its deepest sympathy to her.

They walked side by side like they owned the deserted hallway. Nayeon halted to a stop when Jeongyeon grabbed her hand, Mina signaled that she'll go ahead.

"I'll be in our room, Nayeonnie. Don't be late."

"Mina?" Nayeon called out.

"Yes?" Mina turned around and raised her eyebrows at Nayeon.

"Let's do our best." Nayeon smiled genuinely but her eyes almost betrayed her; it glistened when Mina smiled back and gave a fighting! sign.

Nayeon kept her eyes glued on Mina's back that was getting further and further away. Her heart ached. And it was to ache even more because Jeongyeon seemed to have something important to say to her.

"Hey, you okay?" Jeongyeon gently pulled Nayeon to face her.

Nayeon had to bite her lower lip to prevent herself from crying as she nodded at Jeongyeon.

"Yeah. Brilliant." She sapped the remaining strength that she have to form a reassuring smile.

"Okay. I know you're nervous, baby. But it'll be fine. We'll pass it." Jeongyeon cooed while tucking some strands of Nayeon's hair behind her ear,

"I'm taking you somewhere special after. I'm gonna share my favorite place with you and that's where we'll build our own world. Just the two of us." Jeongyeon caressed Nayeon's cheek unaware of the pain the latter's hiding in her heart.

Nayeon could only close her eyes and nod. She's afraid she might break down if she says a word. This was too much. Her heart was being stabbed with thousands and thousands of blades. How can fate be so cruel to those who has done nothing but suffer? At the very least, Jeongyeon was able to make her happy in the short amount of time God has given them both. There were no regrets, just pure love and agonizing pain; the double edged sword Nayeon has to shoulder.

Jeongyeon kissed Nayeon's forehead before wishing her good luck. And as Jeongyeon turned her back, Nayeon felt the world collapse on her shoulders making her body heavy, her legs were wobbly. She was clenching her jaws to halt the tears that were aching to escape her eyes. Her breaths were rapid and her heart beats too. When she saw Jeongyeon enter her room, she fell down on her knees and sobbed quietly. No one was around to see her; no one was around to save her from the torture that was the breaking of her heart. Her body trembled and that's when she knew how helpless she really was. It was getting harder to breathe; it was getting harder to live. Nayeon's body was so weak she couldn't control her movements that she can't even stand up straight. She took out her phone and called the only person she could rely at this moment. The person picked it up after a ring.

"Jihyo?"

2:05pm

"Mina-ssi, where is Nayeon-ssi? We're about to start the exam."

"I'll look for her Sir Junho, give me five minutes or so." Mina excused herself out of the room.

Mina went to all the washrooms, the library, cafeteria but she can't find a single trace of Nayeon. She got nervous. Nayeon wasn't the type to run away. Mina decided to look for her outside the school premises. She opened her locker and took out her coat and an unfamiliar book tied with a neat ribbon fell.

Bridge To Terabithia

It's Nayeon's favorite book; the only book she read from cover to cover. Mina's heartbeats got louder, was getting hoarse, beads of sweat formed on her forehead.

This is not a good sign, she thought to herself.

And she was damn right. A letter was tucked in the last pages. It was unmistakably Nayeon's penmanship. She opened the small envelope and began to read the letter. Tears uncontrollably fell.

"I need to get Jeongyeon."

Mina dashed towards the respective room. She entered the classroom boldly and dragged Jeongyeon out without any hint of respect to the teacher. There was no time for that anyways, they have to hurry. She can explain everything afterwards.

"Mina, what's wrong?" Jeongyeon tried to loosen Mina's grip on her wrist but it was vain.

In between their strides, rather than explaining, Mina handed Jeongyeon the letter. The godforsaken letter.

"We need to hurry, Jeong. Read it in the car."

Minari,

Is there really anything more rightful to say than thank you? I know I'm not the expressive type and may neglect to show how unconditionally lucky I am for your mere presence. You are my savior, my heroine, my best friend, my sister, and I love you. Please take good care of Jeongyeon for me, you both are my heart and my soul. I'm sorry, Mina. I know everything looks really selfish but please don't hate me. It's okay if you can't forgive me just don't forget me because I'll never forget the person who singlehandedly lifted me up in the depths of my despair- You. Always take care and I wish you happiness with Chaeyoung (I know she'll love you endlessly). Sayonara Mina.

-Nayeonnie


Hot tears fell on the piece of paper Jeongyeon held. She wanted to break something, hell, she wanted to break everything. How can Nayeon do this to her? All those words they exchanged were empty all along. She will never understand all of this unless it came from Nayeon's own mouth. Mina's car stopped outside the Im's mansion main gate, Jeongyeon impatiently got out of the car and began to push the doorbell continuously and was still not satisfied because there was no response so she banged the gate forcefully, making her knuckles red. She was about to shout curses when the gate opened and Chansung (Im's butler) stepped out. He looked furious but calmed down when she saw Mina and Jeongyeon with pale faces.

"Where is Nayeon, Chansung-ssi?" Mina tried not to sound desperate.

Chansung looked at her with confusion,
"Were you not informed of the mistress' departure to England? The Im family will be living in the same roof there."

Both bodies weakened and got paler than ever.

"Where? What time?" Mina said, no longer minding the desperation in her voice.

"I'm sad to be the bearer of bad news Miss Mina but we only know about her flight. And that is of 6:00pm sharp." Chansung bowed apologetically at Mina and Jeongyeon.

In a swift motion, Jeongyeon's hands were tightly gripping on Chansung's neatly ironed collar. She was in dire need of Nayeon's location, desperate for anything that could bring back Nayeon. She kept on saying please to him, Chansung could only bow his head and apologize for the unfortunate event.

"My deepest apologies, my ladies. Master Siwon is a very private man. He trusts nothing but his decisions. None of us knows any other information."

"We have to hurry, Jeong. Let's leave this to lady luck." Mina grabbed Jeongyeon and shoved her in the car, she was as devastated as she is.

"We can't leave this to luck! What if we go to the wrong airport?!" Jeongyeon's head and heart was in a total mess. She didn't mean to be pessimistic.

"Do you have any other brilliant plan then?!" Mina raised her voice too. She has to keep their crap together.

Both heads went silent, Mina's hands were clenching the steering wheel tightly while Jeongyeon kept on cursing whatever nuisance their car was up to.

"There are three airports that they possibly used. I texted my dad and he named them. It's the three recently used airport they landed and took off with but he can't get any info on where they are now." Mina said with a low voice.

Jeongyeon could only look at her, she was calm amidst the chaos they're in. While she was fighting fire with bare hands. She hushed herself and tried to see things broadly like how Mina does.

They decided to go to the two most recent airports that the Im's private plane used. Nayeon and Jeongyeon's fate is up to luck now.

Jeongyeon rushed out of the taxi when they arrived at the airport. The cab driver kept on shouting at Jeong to get her change but she's gone deaf because of the anxiety. Her body ached but her heart ached more. She went to the information desk looking like a predator hungry for some prey. She's definitely going to chase Nayeon back in her arms.

"Im's private plane, is it here? They're to take off at 6:00pm. England." Her lips were dry as the desert.

"I'm sorry, Miss, but we are not allowed to leak out any information about private flights. Airport policy and for security purposes." The clerk was a lady in late twenties with an unbearable amount of make up on her face. She smiled an obviously practiced one. It pissed Jeongyeon.

"Bull! Can't you sense the urgency in my voice?!" Jeongyeon wanted to scratch her eyes out that was batting nonstop.

"Miss, we reserve the right to kick out any individual that may cause harm. I have already summoned security." The clerk said with the same fake smile.

Jeongyeon wanted to climb the desk and choke the lady until she turns paler than her caky make up but the guards already took a hold of her even before she lift herself up. These two guards were no joke, they were all made with brute strength that Jeong can't move her arms from their grip.

"Let me go! I need to get Nayeon the hell out of that plane!" Jeongyeon yelled, not caring of the ruckus she made.

"Hey! Aren't you Nayeon's friend?"

Jeongyeon groaned. Out of all the people to save her from this embarrassment, it has to be the red headed clown Minhyuk. But does she even have a choice?

"Hey, you two, get your hands off her." Minhyuk took off his sunglasses and gave the guards a glare.

The security immediately let Jeongyeon go and bowed down to apologize then left.

"What are you here?" Jeong asked.

"We sort of own an airline." Minhyuk winked making Jeongyeon pull a horrid face.

"Is Im's private plane here?" Jeongyeon asked with all the hope clinging unto this last resort. It was already 5:45pm.

"Uh, I don't think so. The private lines are under renovation. As a result, I had to ride a public plane." Minhyuk winced.

Jeongyeon doesn't even give a tiny rat's to Minhyuk's complaint about public transport. Her heart was slowly tearing apart. She got down on her knees and punched the marble tile. She was angry, angry at that cake faced clerk, angry at Minhyuk's annoying whole being, angry at herself, angry at Nayeon, angry at Nayeon's loathing father, but most of all she was angry at how their fate had become- sullen and full of hollow promises. Her knuckles were already scratched and bleeding from all the frustrations she had. Minhyuk crouched beside her and was asking what the hell happened. Jeongyeon didn't even bother answering him because her phone was ringing. Mina. There's still a tiny fleck of hope.

"M-Mina? She's not here. Is she there with you? Please tell me she's there with you."

Silence. There was this ominously heartbreaking silence on Mina's line.

"I'm sorry, Jeong..."

She couldn't hear anything else after that. The phone dropped from her hand. Tears found their way out from her eyes. Jeongyeon couldn't move any muscle. She was just there, kneeling and tears free flowing on her cheeks. She swore she heard her heart shatter to pieces.

Minhyuk managed to get Jeongyeon up on her feet and let her sit on a chair. Every blink Jeongyeon does breaks her heart a little bit more. She's gone, she left her.

6:35pm

Chaeyoung just got home from school because of after school appointments. Mina was on their living room. Her eyes were bloodshot. Chaeyoung didn't have to ask the obvious, instead, she sat beside Mina and gave her the most comforting hug she could muster. Chaeyoung wanted to go to her sister but Mina stopped her. Jeongyeon needed some time alone.

Jeongyeon was in her room contemplating life, thinking really hard if this was some kind of karma to whatever immoral deed she's done. How can this happen? How can she be taken away from her that easily? She knows Nayeon can be such a pain in the and a basic but she loved her despite those. She loves her so much that's why the pain is stabbing her heart nonstop. It hurts so much because she was unwilling to give up the only string that connected her to Nayeon- Hope.

She stood up and began pacing back and forth. There was something bothering her, like a silent voice at the back of her head saying there was still this final chance for her to bring back her girl. After all, they only did two strikes and the golden rule is three strikes and you're out. Insane as it is, Jeongyeon willed herself to go out but a heavy sensation in her jeans' right pocket stopped her. It was Nayeon's mobile phone that she gave to her. Jeongyeon wasted no more time and dialed Nayeon's number.

Let heaven rejoice! The phone rang.

And

Praise the Lord Hallelujah! Nayeon picked up after the sixth ring.

"Nayeon! Nayeon, please. Please please please get off that plane. Come back to me. Get off that plane. Nayeon, please. I love you." Jeongyeon was literally on her knees.

She wasn't begging only Nayeon, she was also begging to all the angels and saints. This was a sign, the positive kind. Nayeon couldn't have answered the phone if their plane already took off; they were still on land. And whatever the reason was, Jeongyeon hoped it was on her side.

"Jeong, I-" She immediately dropped the call after hearing something synonymous to trouble.

Nayeon couldn't finish her sentence because of Im Siwon's threatening loud growl.

"You imbeciles! How worthless and useless are all of you?!" Im Siwon was beyond the word rage.

Will she get off the plane? Or is this another bad omen?

 

 

 

 


A/N: veeeeeeeeery late update and a veeeeery long one too, I know. Sorry guys :3 Midterm exams took all my time. BTW THANK YOU GUYS ILYall
Back to the story- last chapter on the next :c don't forget to drop some comments.
(Ps: not spoiling anything)


#TWICELAND :)