Oblivious

Basic

Mina has always been assertive in her own little ways but the aggressiveness and possessiveness of her actions were all alien to Chaeyoung. She didn't know what pushed her girlfriend to be dominant all of a sudden. Chaeng realized that this all started when Nayeon and Jeongyeon told them that they're finally dating, or at least that's when Chaeyoung thought it started.

The four of them sat at their usual table in the cafeteria for lunch. Nayeon and Jeongyeon were bickering, something about Nayeon's outfit of the day (Jeongyeon thought it was provocative). While Mina and Chaeyoung were happily eating their lunch, the older occasionally feeding the cub with some strawberries from the strawberry shortcake that she especially brought for her. Their hands were always intertwined, Mina initiating every contact. And even though Chaeyoung would always wonder why her girlfriend suddenly became an avid fan of skinship, she liked the full attention she was getting from the Japanese beauty. It made her feel a new sense of admiration for the older girl.

But all the sweetness were cut when a tall figure appeared at their table and an ominous aura had taken over the atmosphere.

'This spells trouble.' Nayeon mentally said while taking a glance at Mina who was fuming with anger.

'Never thought a penguin could be this deadly. I pray that she spares the life of my sister.' Jeongyeon thought, she was trying to signal Tzuyu and Chaeyoung to part ways as soon as possible but what happened crossed all lines.

"Can I sit here with you all?" Tzuyu slightly bowed when she asked them, mostly on the unnie line.

No one nodded as they, Jeongyeon and Nayeon, were looking at Mina from the corner of their eyes. She had this grim face that made her look like an antagonist from all the Disney fairytales combined into one body. If looks could throw daggers or just anything sharp, Tzuyu's body would be full of holes by now. But as obviously as the author could write in this story, Chaeyoung was and has always been oblivious with the jealousy that was constricting the very heart of her penguin.

"Sure! Take a seat here." Chaeng was the one who answered Tzuyu's lingering question. She moved aside and let Tzuyu sit between her and Mina. Yes, between, as in Chaeyoung then Tzuyu then Mina. Oh, how Mina tried so hard to suppress the sudden urge to end a life of a Star Wars character look alike.

And after that, all heads went silent. No one talked. Nayeon and Jeongyeon were glancing nervously at each other. Mina was murdering the remains of the cake that she brought for her clueless girlfriend, who was flirting (Mina considers chatting as flirting) while laughing at the lamest joke Mina had ever heard. She scoffed and speared the cake with so much force that a screech was made when the fork made contact with the plate. All heads turned to her, all heads as in all heads in the cafeteria, she scoffed, she only wanted one head's attention on her but she managed to capture everyone's eyes. Mina stood up with finesse and went out with elegance.

Mina went to the library, the place where she felt safe. The books that surrounded the place made her feel secure. In this place, she could just read and let her imagination run wild, temporarily forgetting about reality. She walked around grazing the books, trying to calm her nerves. She sighed. Mina wasn't the type of person who easily loses grip with her feelings, she always made sure she was well composed and placid. But today, it was different, she couldn't think straight. She was getting paranoid and she didn't know how to handle this feeling since it was her first time encountering it. Tzuyu, with all the memories and years she'd known Chaeng, could easily take her away from Mina. And how could she compete with that? That's when a new feeling surfaced in her stomach- insecurity. She was insecure, literally everything about Tzuyu was better than her. She was prettier, richer, smarter, taller, ier, and has this domineering aura that can give her everything she wants. In short, she was an out of the league competition for Mina. She groaned at her thoughts and how pathetic she felt.

Mina randomly picked a book and took a seat. It was time to momentarily forget about reality and indulge herself in the wondrous world of literature. She sighed, yet again, before opening the book Alice In Wonderland. She didn't even have the chance to finish the first sentence when a very familiar voice called out to her in a whisper,

"M-Mina?"

There was something in Chaeyoung's voice that made her feel utter guilt in her stomach that surged into her heart. Mina turned around and tried her best to show a reassuring smile. She knew it failed since Chaeng's face painted concern and worry more than anything. Mina cursed herself at how painstakingly selfish she has been. But still, how can Chaeyoung be so ignorant about this?

"Are you okay? Is something bothering you?" She sat beside her girlfriend, intertwining her hand on hers.

That. That was the problem. Mina has to tell her everything, she doesn't know how to perceive her own girlfriend's feelings. She closed her eyes and took a shaky breath in, bottling everything for only her to feel, before smiling at the pouting cub in front of her. Mina wasn't surprised when Chaeng smiled back, unaware of the pain she masked. She was always like this, closing herself in when things take a wrong turn, when everything gets rough, when she is fully aware of that bitterness, and when she knows all she could do was pretend it didn't hurt.

"I just wanted some time alone. I'm fine." Mina smiled. She has to. Even though it was only a built up fake facade.

"Okay. I'll walk you home later and we'll talk about this," she gently tucked strands of hair behind Mina's ear, "right now, I have to go. I still have classes and Tzuyu's waiting for me outside."

 

Tzuyu. 

 

That single word triggered her hateful emotions, that very single word lit fire in Mina's eyes. Fire in a sense of rage, strong one that made her angry inside out.

Mina sat on the bench outside their school. It was 5:35pm and Chaeyoung still wasn't around. She has been waiting for two hours now. It made the anger in her boil some more. She closed her eyes to somehow or at any account calm her nerves. She heard footsteps and panting in front of her. It seems like Chaeyoung was running.

"M-Mina? I'm really sorry. I forgot. I lost track of time. You see, it was Tzuyu's-"

With the mention of that word, Mina's eyes shot open. It was colder than anything you've ever imagined. This cut Chaeyoung's words. The coldness cut through everything, it made her freeze on her spot.

"Would you mind finishing your sentence? I'd love to hear it." smiled but her eyes were dead serious.

The animal instinct inside Chaeyoung told her not to say anything but Mina's stare was so suffocating it hurt Chaeng seeing her like this,

"I forgot that it was Tzuyu's birthday and we celebrated. I lost track of time."

Mina run her trembling hands through her hair and audibly sighed. Chaeyoung knew she was trying so hard to control her anger, that up until now she has no clue.

"I'd rather like it if you just bluntly said 'I'm sorry I forgot about you because I was with Tzuyu.'" Mina opened her eyes and coldly stared at Chaeyoung who was still processing what she said.

When Chaeyoung met the older one's stare, it hit her. It hit her like how Titanic crashed on the iceberg and she felt synonymous to the ship's drowning. Her breaths hitched.

"Were you... jealous?"

The question lingered in the air quite sometime, Mina's brows shot upward and there was this unfamiliar, y facade that she's showing. It made the silence a deadly one.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Chaeng was desperate to hear her girlfriend's answers or just her voice.

Something snapped in Mina's brain, there was this spiteful tug in her heart, her veins felt like popping. She was now furious, she stood up and went near Chaeyoung. The latter took a step backwards, Mina's eyes were a epitome of anger and disappointment. It crushed her heart seeing her lovely penguin looking like this and it was her who made her like this. The worst was that, she didn't even know.

"Do I really have to spell out everything for you? Are you really that ignorant of your own girlfriend's feelings?"

Mina couldn't stop the words even if she wanted to, they were in a roll. Even her tears were unstoppable.

"Or is it just because she's much better than me that you had to forget about your average girlfriend?!"

Her voice was a notch higher. Jealousy, insecurities, she let it all out, unable to stop the rage she's in because of a person.

"Would you please grow up and stop being such a child?! I'm dead tired of being a babysitter!"

Mina froze. She didn't mean that, or did she? Regret choked her. She loves Chaeyoung, she will always, but jealousy blinded and deafened her, insecurity numbed her. She forgot that important factor in her life, no, more like she neglected it. Her love was undeniable but was not that formidable when Tzuyu showed up. She was ashamed of herself, there was no one to blame but herself. Chaeyoung was right, she should've told her. The ignorant one was her all along.

Oh, how the tables have turned.

Chaeyoung closed her eyes when she said that, she clenched her fist but she didn't have any ounce of strength left in her. How could she still have the energy for anything when the love of her life thought of her as a child to take care of, not a woman to love for always? She let her arms dangle. Her heart shattered and every breath she took felt like a sharp piece of glass penetrating her lungs. It hurts so much tears were of no use. Chaeyoung turned numb because of the painful truth.

"Chaeng, I didn't mean that."

Chaeyoung opened her eyes and Mina, she felt like dying. Her beautiful orbs showed the last thing Mina wanted to see from them. It was full of pain and suffering. People say eyes are the window to the soul but in occasions like this, Chaeyoung's eyes were the window to Mina's death.

"I'm sorry if was such a nuisance."

'No you're not! I love you!' Mina wanted to say but there was a lump in .

"But I did love you and I'll never regret. It just... just hurts so bad that all along, everything was a pity party you arranged not to make me feel bad." Chaeyoung's eyes were glistening but no tears came out, instead, her eyes were grimly hollow.

"And now you made it clear that the party has to end."

 

 

 


A/N: Drama :3 this would either turn angst or tremendously fluffy on the following chapters. Idk, not going to spoil :P
I know you didn't expect it to be like this but the author has her reasons ;)

Thank you for the votes! And the subscriptions! And most of all thank you for the love since chapter one! xx
I hope you read it until the end (which is near btw, just a few more chapters) :(