Like Mother, Like Daughter

Snow White

[Ever since her first meeting with the king, she often visit the palace with her father. She was requested to stay at palace until her father Jung comes back from training his soldiers.]

 

“Seol, come along.” Lady Munhye called out for the child who was busy looking around the palace in awe, “the king’s waiting for you.”

Seol the hurried beside her step-mother who smiled warmly at her. The stopped by the entrance of the throne room as the eunuch announced their presence to the king. Gwangjong let the visitors in as they entered, only to see the king and Jung waiting. Seol tensed with anxiety when seeing the king’s stern expression softened with smile.

“Greetings to your majesty.” Lady Munhye greeted as Seol followed bowing almost tripped herself, much to the lady’s surprise.

Seol was embarrassed as she accidentally ALMOST got herself fell forward for bowing with her head beneath her waist. Her lips pouted as her big eyes watered but restrained herself not to show any tears. However, her whimpering caught them off guard. Jung stepped forward, concerned that his daughter was about to cry but stopped as she rubbed her eyes with her sleeves.

“Seol.”

She flinched when her father called.

“Yes?” Her small voice squeaked.

“Are you alright?” Jung asked.

Seol nodded her head, reassuring him.

“I don’t cry.” Seol managed to reply with confidence.

“Why not?” Gwangjong asked with his eyebrows raised.

“Because ladies do not cry, that’s why. They are strong.”

Gwangjong blinked his eyes at her claim. His eyes grew warm, yet somewhat pensive. The girl reminded him young Soo when she often talk back at him, not afraid of his former epithet “Wolf-Dog”. The king laughed heartily as he approached to her.

“My, Lady Munhye had taught her well…,” Wang So smiled, “your father have to leave the palace to train the soldiers. Lady Gyeonghwagung requested for you to stay at Songak until Jung returns. Is that alright?”

Seol’s eyes grew wide.

“Really?” She asked, disbelieved.

“If there’s anything you want, you may ask.” Gwangjong smiled.

What came next was unexpected for Jung, Lady Munhye and himself. Seol leaped towards him with her arms around the king’s neck, giving him a small embrace. So was surprised by her demeanor. Seol giggled happily, thanking him. Then remembering who she was hugging, she quickly let go and looked down, embarrassed again.

“I—I’m sorry, your majesty.”

The king only smiled.

“It’s alright,” The king flashed a genuine smile, “Eunuch Kim, them to the guest’s chamber.”

The eunuch bowed. Gwangjong whispered to the girl.

“There are surprises for you. You may go and see for yourself.”

“Thank you, uncle!”

Seol bid him and her father goodbye as she and the lady was escorted to their room. Confused, Jung walked to his brother.

“What surprises did you prepare for her?”

Wang So only grinned.

“The gifts for her six birthdays I have missed.”

Jung was aghast by his answer.

“Didn’t you already give them to her before?”

So raised his one eyebrow, faking his obliviousness.

“Oh, did I?”

Jung sighed.

“Must you ALWAYS have to spoil her?”

“Yes, I must.” The king bluntly replied.


Meanwhile at the guest chamber, Lady Munhye and Seol was sitting across one another. Seol was squealing when accepting the gifts. The lady sighed but smiled. Behind the door, she heard the court lady asking for the Lady Gyeonghwagung’s request as she was also responsible for teaching the princesses with their etiquette lesson. Munhye stood up and called her step-daughter to follow along. Eagerly, Seol walked behind her.

They walked passing every chamber until they stopped by the Lady Gyeonghwagung’s chamber. The court ladies opened the door and they entered. Lady Gyeonghwagung was drinking her tea and as she noticed them, she greeted with proper grin.

“Welcome, Lady Munhye,” Then she saw the little girl behind her, “and I presume this is Yoo Seol?”

Seol bowed slightly.

“Please to meet you.”

The king’s wife leaned forward and made a serene, warm smile.

“My, my. Such a lovely little lady.”

Lady Gyeonghwagung remembered her childhood. When she met the head court lady Hae Soo. Seeing her lively yet firm grace, little Gyeonghwagung admired her. The court lady was an older sister to her who told her many stories when she couldn’t sleep. Serving her teas with genuine smile. The king’s wife formed a nostalgic grin.

“You look just like your mother.”

Seol was little bit startled by her statement.

“You know my mother?”

“Yes, I’ve known her many, many years ago.” She nodded.

Munhye dismissed herself as she went to the princesses’ chamber, leaving the two alone. The king’s second wife formed a rather mischievous, yet gentle smile.

“Do you want to hear it?”

Seol nodded her head. The lady patted the embroidered cushion, letting the child sit beside her. Seol sat down, eager to hear the story of her deceased mother.

“I met her when I was around your age. My father, the second king of the country, introduced her to me.”

“Uhm…what was she like?” Seol asked curiously.

“Oh, your mother Hae Soo was a spirited woman. She was smart, beautiful, and very kind-hearted. You had a striking resemblance of her. I always wished I was just like her.”


Thirteen years ago…

 

“Gyeonghwa.”

The second king of Goryeo Hyejong, Wang Mu, called out his eldest daughter. Walking forward young Gyeonghwa looked up to her father.

“Yes, your majesty?”

“I’d like you to meet the new head court lady, Hae Soo.”

The beautiful woman, with her hair tied up and wearing a senior green court lady outfit, was smiling at the princess.

‘Wow,’ the princess wondered, ‘she’s pretty…’

“Hello, princess. Please to meet you.” Hae Soo greeted, bowing.

Snapped out from her thought, she greeted back.

“Hello, Hae Sang-gung. Please to meet you, too.”

“From now on, she will accompany you on Damiwon after your studies. She will teach you etiquettes lessons.”

“Yes, father.” Princess complied.

She knew she hates studying but seeing the court lady in front of her, she assured that they will have a great time together as she felt like she was having an older sister all for herself.


“Oh we have a great time…” Lady Gyeonghwagung mused, “she gave me cosmetic materials and did a makeup for me. We talked and played around…”

Seol wondered still. She have never seen her mother as she was told she passed away when she was a baby. As if remembered just now, Lady Gyeonghwagung opened the cabin, revealing a small sketchbook given by Baek-Ah, and handed it to the child.

“This is sketchbook uncle Baek-Ah gave it to me. It’s all about your mother.”
Seol stared at the sketch book.

“Can I really take it?” She carefully asked.

“Of course, it’s my gift,” Lady smiled, “just…don’t let anyone, not even his majesty, see this. Promise me.”

Seol wanted to ask why, but nodded her head.

“I promise.”

She opened a book with a first page revealed a lively girl smiling as she was seen walking on the snow. The second page had the young woman surrounded by the princes. She flipped the pages until the one caught her attention. The page had a mother holding a baby girl with serene, graceful smile. The character language had written the woman’s name: Hae Soo.

“Your mother would have been very proud to see how you’ve grown.” Lady Gyeonghwagung smiled, closing her eyes and sighed heartily.

Seol closed the book and clutched in tightly around her arms to her chest. She was glad she was able to know her mother.