Another Truth

Love at Risk
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 9 – Another Truth

Si Jin is waiting for his “lunch buddies” Dae Young and Ja-ae to go to the pantry in his office so they could start eating. He started laying out the food trays when the door suddenly opened and the individuals he has been waiting for came in.

“Are we missing something?” Dae Young ask upon seeing the trays of food on top of the table.

Ja-ae laughed at Dae Young’s question while Si Jin shook his head. Ja-ae then explained, “Atty. Kang apparently prepared a lot of food for Jin Woo and his classmates at his playschool. It’s like “share your food day” in school to foster camaraderie and better relations with each other. But it seems like Atty. Kang went overboard. It’s like she cooked for 20 adults instead of just 10 kids.”

The two other individuals in the room laughed then Dae Young spoke up and looked at Si Jin. “You’re lucky that you have the same taste in food as Jin Woo or else Atty. Kang might let you cook your own food.”

Si Jin beamed at what Dae Young said. For the past weeks since Mo Yeon started living in his house, he has been pampered with his ex-wife’s delicious cooking. And as luck would have it, Dae Young’s right in saying that he and Jin Woo pretty much have the same preference when it comes to food even downright to food allergens. Apparently both he and Jin Woo are allergic to peanuts.  

Ja-ae shook her head upon seeing Si Jin’s reaction. “Tsk tsk tsk someone is clearly taking advantage of the situation.”

Dae Young then playfully interjected, “Ms. Ja-ae let him be. He’s enjoying the moment.”

Si Jin just shook his head while laughing and said, “Anyway enough of that, let’s eat.”

The three of them then took their seats and began eating.

“So, how is it at home?” Dae Young asked Si Jin.

“Things are going okay” he replied nonchalantly. He then turned to Ja-ae, “By the way you need to accompany Mo Yeon this Friday to the supermarket. She says she needs to buy food and household supplies. You may do this while I am in an offsite meeting with Dae Young. That way Mo Yeon and Jin Woo’s security detail is still available. In addition, I don’t want the two of them to be still going out at night without me.”

Ja-ae nodded at what he said and said, “Okay Boss!”

“So back to first name basis huh?,” Dae Young asked while teasingly nudging him.

“Nope still on professional title basis. I just call her that when she’s not around. Do you want my head to be cut off?” he responded incredulously.

Ja-ae and Dae Young laughed at what he said. Then his friend continued, “So when are you planning to have “the talk” with her? Big Boss, you may not have much time. We both know that the investigation is progressing fast. At some point, we may already be able to solve the case and she and Jin Woo will not be required to be under NIS protective custody which means that she will move out of your house eventually.”

Si Jin took a deep breath as the meaning of his friend’s words sunk into him. “I know. But I don’t want to force the issue. She and I have been through a lot and I am more than aware that between the two of us this is more of a sensitive topic for her than me. I’m afraid she might become distant again if I suddenly spring the topic on her.”

“But how are the two of you at home?” Ja-ae asked.

He was silent for a moment before responding, “Well I could say she is more comfortable now compared to the first few days but I could still sense that there is still a wall between us and that she is not letting her guard down.”

“Hmm I guess the next thing you should do is to break that wall” his assistant replied.

I know but that is easier said than done, he thought.

Ja-ae then continued, “By the way Boss, you have an invitation for a formal charity dinner organized by the Seoul Lawyers’ Association.”

“I see. When will that be?” he asked.

“Friday of next week and this might be of help but just to let you know that Atty. Kang’s law firm is invited to the event as well.”

His assistant then gave him a look and he correctly read it. Ja-ae just gave him an idea.

 

Mo Yeon put a blanket on Jin Woo. The child already fell asleep on the couch at the receiving area of Si Jin’s office. Jin Woo must have been tired from running around the supermarket while she and Ja-ae shopped for the items needed in Si Jin’s house. However, the three of them went back to NIS since as per Ja ae she was instructed by Si Jin to inform her that she and Jin Woo would just have to wait for him to go back to the office so that the 3 of them may eat dinner and go home together, which has been their routine for the past few weeks. But it seems like there will be changes to the initial plans since Ja-ae just received a call from Si Jin informing her that he and Dae Young will be arriving later than expected and to just order food so that he, Mo Yeon, Jin Woo and Ja-ae will be able to eat dinner as soon as he arrives.

There is a comfortable silence between her and Ja-ae as both of them have their laptops open catching up on work that still needs to be done when the elevator doors opened and someone walked into the receiving area. Mo Yeon who is preoccupied with what she’s typing didn’t even bother to look up to check who it was until a shadow loomed over her. When she raised her eyes she saw that it was Yoo Ri, standing with her arms across her chest.

“Is Si Jin in?” Yoo Ri asked her.

“Ms. Yoo Ri, Director Yoo is in an offsite meeting with Officer Seo. They will be back later than expected” Ja-ae responded.

“I see” Yoo Ri acknowledged then sat down in one of the empty seats inside the receiving area. “I guess this will be a good time to have a chat with Atty. Kang.”

Mo Yeon who decided to just continue working raised her eyes to meet Yoo Ri’s after hearing what she said.

“Is there anything I can help you with?” Mo Yeon politely asked.

“So I heard that you and Jin Woo are staying at Director Yoo’s house for security reasons, so how is it?” Yoo Ri asked in a civil manner.

 Although clearly perplexed as to the reason why the woman is asking her such question, Mo Yeon still decided to answer, “I’d say it’s just okay.”

“I hope no old feelings are rekindled while you and he are under the same roof” Yoo Ri remarked.

Mo Yeon who didn’t like Yoo Ri’s statement then asked, “Ms. Han is there something that you would like to say? Just go straight to the point.”

“I guess what I heard about you is really true. You’re really smart Atty. Kang. Anyhow, what I’m saying is that I hope nothing happens between you and Si Jin while you are living in the same house. No getting back together or rekindled feelings. I will be honest with you, I am in love with him and even though he was the one who broke our engagement because he chose you, I would still like to have another shot at our relationship now that there is an opportunity” Yoo Ri said.

Mo Yeon who was clearly surprised at what the woman said, “Excuse me? You were engaged to Director Yoo?”

Yoo Ri nodded solemnly, “Yes. Prior to him being sent to the US to study law, it was arranged by our parents. My father was also one of the high ranking officials of NIS and a good friend of Si Jin’s father. They thought that it will be a good idea to join our families together. Back then Si Jin and I are good friends and when we were informed of the arrangement we didn’t protest to it. I knew that his feelings for me are not as deep as mine but I held on to his word that he will respect our parents’ decision. But I guess love really works in mysterious ways. He met you and informed his parents that he will not go through with the arranged wedding. He chose you before and I respected that but my love for him was never gone. We rekindled our friendship when he went back here and I thought that I could help heal his broken heart. I thought we were going somewhere and finally there is a chance that he may love me. However you came back into his life and now I feel like we are back to square one.” Yoo Ri then looked pleadingly at her, “Atty. Kang I’m not asking you to force or order him to go to me, I have some pride you know” the woman said wryly then continued, “All I’m asking is that I be given a fair fight, if ever there will be, for his heart. I know that you understand what I mean.”

The woman then stood up and slowly made her way out of the room.

Mo Yeon remained seated deep in thought long after Yoo Ri left. After hearing what the woman said she’s now confused again. When she decided to forgive Si Jin, she promised herself that she will do her best to be cordial and to an extent trust him for the sake of Jin Woo’s safety. However, after knowing the truth she is now starting to wonder what other things is Si Jin not telling her. She knew and felt that Yoo Ri was telling the truth, because it was clearly written in her eyes. It is the eyes of a woman pleading her rival to give to her the man she loves, because only someone who truly loves a person will sacrifice their pride and do that.

 

The drive to Si Jin’s house was eerily silent and he could sense that something is not right. When he arrived at the office Jin Woo was sleeping on the couch with Mo Yeon typing away on her laptop. As soon as Ja-ae caught sight of him, his assistant requested permission to leave ahead of them due to an urgent personal matter. The three of them then ate their dinner and although there wasn’t anything different with how his ex-wife dealt with Jin Woo the same cannot be said of her treatment of him. His questions were returned with one word answers unlike before wherein she would elaborate a little.

They reached the house and before he could carry Jin Woo to his room like he usually does, he saw Mo Yeon gently shake the child to wake him up. When the kid woke up, Mo Yeon took the child and carried Jin Woo to the child’s room with him following them closely behind. He then decided to go to his own room to freshen up. A few minutes after he went downstairs to the kitchen to get a glass of water and noticed that Mo Yeon is sitting at the countertop working on something in her laptop.

“Still working this late Atty. Kang?” he cordially asked.

“Uh yes. Just need to work on some urgent stuff for the firm” Mo Yeon replied still continuing to type in her laptop.

Si Jin could sense Mo Yeon’s reluct

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter