Epilogue - Coming Home

Love at Risk
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Epilogue – Coming Home

Sixteen year old Song Saehan Min sat atop his bicycle slowly pedaling his way back home while enjoying the cool breeze the spring air brings and the view that the sakura trees presented, its flowers in full bloom, which lined up the street. To a bystander he may look like a normal teenager albeit a handsome one at that. However, unlike most people his age where they thought their lives are already complicated, his was not simple even by adult standards. His original name was Yoo Jin Woo and he grew up being chased by syndicate members and was hidden from his family for his safety. Although he was raised by individuals who may not be his biological parents, Park Tae Min and Park Ji Su were kind hearted people who didn’t keep the truth from him so that when the time came that he was returned to his family he was ready, because his parents were not just normal individuals. Both came from families who are well-connected to the government, his father a lawyer and the current Director of the NIS while his mother a lawyer and daughter of an excellent former CIA field agent. In spite of their stature and the danger that lurked behind them, his parents have showered him with love and affection since he was returned to them. However an event forced his father to make the painful decision of remaining in his position at the NIS so that his mother and especially he may lead normal lives. It also was the reason for their name change his Song Saehan Min while his mother who was known as Kang Mo Yeon, uses the name Song Hye Kyo. Since he saw how challenging it was for her mother to raise him on her own, and although he loved and respected the man, he began to resent his father because he felt that he abandoned them. However an event 6 years ago changed his perspective on things.

Ten-year old Jin Woo quietly went out of his room and slowly made his way towards the kitchen. It was already late at night but he wanted to drink a glass of milk. Since he didn’t want to disturb his mother who is most probably sleeping already, he decided to get it himself. While on his way, he heard silent voices talking inside the kitchen. It was his mother and a familiar voice that he knows belong to someone whom he hasn’t seen for a long time. He decided to peek and found two individuals sitting at the dining table, coffee in hand chatting merrily as if everything’s normal.

“Jin Woo’s doing well in school. He is on top of his class” his mother proudly said.

“I’m happy to know that. He must have really gotten his brains from you” his father jokingly responded.

Mo Yeon laughed a little, “And he got his penchant of getting into trouble from you and trying to charm his way out of it.”

Si Jin raised his eyebrown a little and amusedly asked, “Did he now? What did he do this time?”

“Oh, his teacher caught him playing at the school playground while class was still ongoing. He only requested permission to go to the toilet. When he was gone longer than expected his teacher came out looking for him and found him there. You know what your son said?”

“What?” his father asked with a smile on his face.

“Teacher, the outside view is too nice. We will be doing it injustice if we don’t appreciate it. Then your son ended his statement with a cute, adorable smile on his face.”

“Like this?” Si Jin then plastered a smile that is identical to Jin Woo’s.

Mo Yeon laughed, “Exactly.”

“Tsk tsk tsk I’m sure the teacher fell for it hook, line and sinker.”

“You bet!”

“I guess it’s still effective especially on women. You yourself fell for it!” Si Jin teasingly said.

Mo Yeon rolled her eyes, “Oh please, stop flattering yourself.”

Si Jin then pouted cutely and said, “Aww you don’t love me anymore?”

Mo Yeon laughed at Si Jin’s antics and the man joined in. After their laughter subsided, Mo Yeon reached out across the table and held Si Jin’s hand, “You know how much I love you right?”

Si Jin nodded, reached out and Mo Yeon’s cheek and said, “You know how much I love you and Jin Woo right?”

Mo Yeon nodded.

Si Jin continued, “I’m sorry. I know this arrangement is hard for you and Jin Woo. Ah In told me that some of Jin Woo’s classmates because they don’t see his father in school. Although our son appears strong and cheerful and doesn’t seem to mind it, I’m sure deep down he feels hurt and is actually bothered by it. I’m now starting to question whether I did the right thing.”

Mo Yeon squeezed Si Jin’s hand in a reassuring manner and said, “Hey I thought we already talked about this? There are sacrifices that we have to make so that Jin Woo will be able to lead a more normal life.”

“Yes I know. But sometimes I ask myself if it was the best thing to do? Maybe there was a better alternative” Si Jin said wryly.

“Si Jin, when you made that decision I knew that you have Jin Woo’s and my best interest at heart. Some may not agree

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter