Establishing Routines

Love at Risk
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 8 – Establishing Routines

Si Jin slowly descended the stairs and made his way towards the kitchen. He could smell the enticing aroma of food coming from it, coupled with hearing the voices of the members of Earth Wind and Fire in the background. As he quietly neared the area, he recognized that the song being played is September by the said group and Mo Yeon who is listening to the music is swaying her hips to the beat of the song while placing the plate of pancakes on top of the dining table. His ex-wife is clearly unaware that someone is watching her. A smile spread across his face as memories flooded his mind. This is exactly how Mo Yeon was whenever she would prepare breakfast for them during weekends when they were still married. He was jolted out of his reverie when someone tugged at the hem of his shorts. He looked down and noticed that Jin Woo is already beside him.

“Uncle Si Jin what are you doing?” the boy asked while looking up at him with innocent curious eyes.

He scratched the back of his head embarrassed at being caught secretly watching his ex-wife. “Huh what do you mean kiddo? I just arrived here” he replied with a feigned expression of surprise.

Jin Woo shook his head at him and said, “No. You’ve been here for a while. I am the one who just arrived. Were you watching Aunt Mo Yeon?” the child looked at him with a cute pout on his face.

Okay so there’s no fooling the kid, he thought. He crouched so that he would be eye level with the child, “Well yes. But don’t tell her that okay? Can it be our little secret?” he asked pleadingly.

Jin Woo pretended to think about it first then broke into a smile, “Okay Uncle Si Jin.”

“Pinky swear?” he asked with a smile on his face.

“Yes, pinky swear” Jin Woo replied solemnly as if the agreement they entered into is a very serious one.

They then entwined their fingers and smiled at each other. It was at that moment that Mo Yeon walked in on them.

“Oh you’re both awake already! I thought you guys are still sleeping” she remarked. She then turned her attention to Jin Woo and enthusiastically said, “I was about to go upstairs and wake you up. Breakfast is ready!”

“Yay!” the child replied with a cheerful smile.

“I hope you like pancakes and sausages” Mo Yeon said while smiling at Jin Woo.

Jin Woo enthusiastically nodded his head and Mo Yeon reached for the child’s hand and started leading him towards the dining table. However, she stopped in her tracks and as if in afterthought, looked at him and in a more civil manner said, “Atty. Yoo breakfast is ready. You may join me and Jin Woo if you like. There’s also coffee in the coffee maker, just get some.”

After saying it, she then resumed walking with Jin Woo towards the dining table. He decided to follow suit but not without noticing that Mo Yeon is back to treating him as a “colleague”.

 

Mo Yeon is helping Jin Woo settle in his seat. However, she noticed that the child’s height is not yet enough to reach the table and eat at a comfortable level. She was about go to the living room to grab some small pillows when she noticed Si Jin emerging from the hallway, pillows in hand. The man then lifted Jin Woo while she properly put the pillows on top of the chair. When everything was already in order, Si Jin then had the child sit on the pillows.

He then turned to her, gently touched her arm and said, “Atty. Kang we are a team here. We are both guardians to Jin Woo so don’t hesitate to ask for my help alright?”

She looked at Si Jin and gratefully said, “Duly noted, Atty. Yoo”

Si Jin smiled at her response and the two of them took their respective seats at the dining table. While eating, she observed the relaxed and fun interaction between Si Jin and Jin Woo. She was reminded of how good her ex-husband is when it comes to dealing with children. When they were still married, she had no doubt that he will be a good father to their child however that will not happen to fruition anymore. Her reverie was broken when Jin Woo asked her, “Aunt Mo Yeon, what will we do after I eat breakfast?”

“Hmmm I was thinking we can go around Uncle Si Jin’s house. Get familiar with the place since this will be your home for the meantime. What do you think?” she asked the child.

“Atty. Kang, I think what you mean is, it will be your and Jin Woo’s home for the meantime?” Si Jin interjected while giving her a teasing look.

She gave Si Jin a pointed look then just decided to ignore what he said and turned her attention back to Jin Woo, “So what do you think about looking around?”

Jin Woo placed a finger on his chin clearly pondering on Mo Yeon’s suggeston. Si Jin suddenly spoke up and said, “Jin Woo after you and Aunt Mo Yeon tour the house we can play football in the backyard, how’s that?”

Jin Woo’s eyes widened upon hearing what Si Jin said and nodded vigorously a clear indication of how excited he is. The child then resumed eating his pancakes.

Mo Yeon and Si Jin looked at each other and gave each other a thumbs-up sign. There’s nothing more appealing to kids aside from the idea of playing. They then continued eating as well.

 

Mo Yeon prepared snacks for Si Jin and Jin Woo who have been playing for hours in the backyard. After the house tour, the two immediately went outside to play at Jin Woo’s insistence. She placed the sandwiches and juice on top of a serving tr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter