After All

Love at Risk
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 13 – After All

Si Jin’s heart is pounding hard in his chest as he speed dialed Mo Yeon’s number. Based from the phone call he received earlier Dae Young and Myeong Ju was attacked by the syndicate’s members. Although the NIS emergency response team has been dispatched to the scene he wanted to make sure if Mo Yeon and Jin Woo are okay. From what he knows, Dae Young was supposed to fetch Jin Woo from his playschool and Mo Yeon whose protective mother’s instinct kicked in have ensured that she will accompany any member of the NIS Alpha Team to fetch Jin Woo.

“Come on Mo Yeon pick-up the phone” he mumbled nervously while waiting for Mo Yeon to answer her mobile. However after several rings his call was diverted to Mo Yeon’s voice mailbox. He frustratingly ran a hand through his hair and dialed Mo Yeon’s office landline number. After a few rings, he heard Min-ji’s voice at the other end of the line.

“Good day, Atty. Kang’s….” Min-ji started saying however Si Jin immediately interrupted her.

“Min-ji, this is Director Yoo. Is Mo Yeon there? I’ve been calling her mobile phone but she’s not answering” he asked urgently.

“Yes sir. She just went to the pantry to grab some coffee” as soon as Min-ji answered Mo Yeon came out of the room, coffee in hand. When Min-ji spotted Mo Yeon she informed her about Si Jin’s call, “Atty. Kang, Director Yoo is on the line. It seems urgent.”

Mo Yeon’s forehead creased but said, “Alright. I’ll take the call in my office.” She entered her room and immediately smiled when she spotted Jin Woo happily playing with the Lego Duplo toys Si Jin bought for him. She lifted the handset and motioned to Min-ji that she will be taking the call already. As soon as Min-ji replaced her handset, Mo Yeon spoke on the line.

“Si Jin what’s up?” she said.

She heard Si Jin’s sigh of relief at the other line. He then said, “Thank God you’re okay. Where’s Jin Woo?”

Her curiosity grew bigger because of his question but she decided to answer nonetheless. “He’s here in my office playing with the Lego Duplo toys you gave him.”

Another sigh of relief from Si Jin was head on the other line. Sensing something is not right she then asked, “Si Jin what’s wrong?”

She could hear Si Jin take a deep breath before answering. “Mo Yeon a series of attacks was conducted today by the syndicate. Several staff of the NIS and CIA were injured, including Dae Young and Myeong Ju.”

“What?!” she blurted out in surprise.

“Yes” Si Jin grimly said. “I’m actually off to check the attack sites. You and Jin Woo stay put there. I’ve ordered Snoopy, Piccolo and Harry Potter to tighten the security on both of you. I will immediately go there to fetch you and Jin Woo.”

“Alright” she was about to say something when she felt someone tugging her blouse and when she looked down she noticed her son looking up at her. She bent down so that she could be eye level with him. “Hey sweetie what is it?” she asked Jin Woo.

“Is that daddy you’re speaking with?” Jin Woo asked.

She nodded.

“Can I talk to him?”

She smiled and spoke to the receiver, “Si Jin, Jin Woo wants to talk to you.” She then handed the phone to her son.

“Hi daddy” Jin Woo said with a big smile on his face.

“Hi buddy. Were you a good boy today?” Si Jin asked.

“Yes daddy. How about you, were you a good boy today?” Jin Woo asked his father back.

Si Jin’s chuckle can be heard on the other line, “Yes, daddy was also a good boy today. Anyway, buddy I have to go. But I will fetch you and mommy later okay so just wait for me?”

“Yes daddy.”

“Okay can you hand the phone to your mommy again? I need to tell her something” Si Jin said.

“Okay” Jin Woo then handed the phone back to Mo Yeon and said, “Mommy, daddy said he needs to talk to you again”  the child then went back to playing with his toys.

“Si Jin?” Mo Yeon answered.

“Just wait for me there alright? Stay safe” Si Jin said.

“We will” Mo Yeon replied.

“And Mo Yeon, I…I love you and Jin Woo. Always remember that” Si Jin said.

Mo Yeon smiled and said, “I know. You be careful too. Jin Woo and I will wait for you.”

“Alright” Si Jin said and with a smile on his face ended the call. He’s calmer now that he was able to ensure that Mo Yeon and Jin Woo are safe however he still has a job to do. He then rode the car that will take him to the attack sites, bracing himself for what he will see.

 

Mo Yeon stood up and worriedly looked at her watch. Four hours has passed since Si Jin last called and until now she hasn’t heard any news with regards to the situation. She peered through the blinds of her office window and noticed that Harry Potter, Piccolo and Snoopy are standing guard outside under the guise of being her clients. To further avoid suspicion, the three men were chatting merrily with her assistant Min-ji. Her gaze then fell upon Jin Woo whom she already convinced to sleep even though the child was insistent to wait with her for his father to arrive. However, she noticed that her son was just fighting off sleep so she went into full mother mode and made Jin Woo sleep with a promise that she will wake him up as soon as Si Jin arrives.

Her reverie was interrupted when she heard a soft knock at her door. She turned around to see that Min-ji peeked inside her office.

“Atty. Kang, the food that you ordered already arrived” her assistant informed her.

“Alright. Kindly go ahead and eat. I’m sure you and the other members of the Alpha Team are hungry already. Just please leave our portion here in the office. I’m sure Jin Woo would like to wait for Si Jin before we start eating” she instructed with a small smile on her face.

“Okay boss” Min-ji answered before closing the door again.

She took a deep breath and decided to finish some work to take her mind off things. She was already concentrating on reading some documents when she heard some commotion outside her door. She stood up and was about to check things out when her door suddenly opened and Si Jin came bursting in. Before she could react, the man strode over to her and enveloped her in a tight hug. She could feel his tenseness and decided to comfort him by rubbing his back. She felt him slowly relax and gently released her. Si Jin then walked over to where Jin Woo is sleeping and kissed the boy on the forehead. The child stirred and slowly opened his eyes.

“Daddy!” Jin Woo exclaimed upon recognizing Si Jin’s face. The boy then wrapped his arms around Si Jin’s neck. Si Jin then lifted the child and carried him.

“What took you so long daddy? I was waiting for you but I felt sleepy already so mommy said I should sleep first” Jin Woo pouted.

“I’m sorry buddy. Daddy had to finish some important and urgent work at the office so I arrived late” Si Jin said while giving Jin Woo a ruefu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter