Wishes and Goals

Love at Risk
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 16 – Wishes and Goals

Si Jin sat in one of the benches in the small park near the Yoo family’s old house. The park is situated near a small hill and the breeze coming from the sea is definitely calming his nerves. His gaze then fell upon the kids playing in the small playground together with their parents and it brought a smile to his face as memories of his past came flooding his mind. He used to go here with his father when he was still a child and they shared a lot of happy times in this place. However, when his father’s law firm started to gain traction and the man started to ascend the hierarchy within the NIS, his parents decided that it will be more practical for them to move within the city. Since then, he saw less of his father as Young-geun became preoccupied with work both at the law firm and agency. At some point he resented the NIS, as he felt that the organization robbed him of a parent. Though his mother was there for him all the time, he had to admit that there was still a difference with a father-son bond compared to that of a mother’s. From then on, he promised himself that if he will have a family of his own he will not let his child experience the same thing. But fate apparently had some other plans and his son, Jin Woo, was into a situation not that different, albeit might be even worse, from his. He was preoccupied with his thoughts and didn’t immediately notice that someone took a seat beside him until the person spoke up and said,

“Penny for your thoughts?”

 He turned his head and saw his father’s face looking at him with slight amusement.

“Nah just thinking about the past” he said offhandedly with a nonchalant smile on his face.

“Hmmm with the way you’re looking at those children” his father then pointed towards the direction of the playground, “I would guess that you’re reminiscing about your childhood here. Am I right?” Young-geun then looked at him inquiringly.

He had a sheepish smile and even shuddered for effect, “It’s scary the way you can read my mind.”

The older man laughed and said, “Well you are my son and I know that you were happiest in this place before all the complications of my involvement with the NIS forced us to move. I am also aware that you resented me a little because of that.”

He looked at his father with mild surprise.

The older man looked at him and somberly continued, “Yes, I knew. Not because your mother said anything but because you are my son. I’ve seen how the dynamics of our relationship changed when we moved and I focused more on my work with the NIS. I am also aware that you followed my orders without any complaint - from being a lawyer, entering NIS up to your fixed engagement not because you wanted to but because you wanted to please me. The only exception was when you broke off your engagement. I can’t blame you though, Mo Yeon’s a catch. I’m very grateful that she gave me and your mother a smart, cute and adorable grandchild. Thank goodness he inherited his mother’s brains and looks.”

He laughed and rolled his eyes as he protested at his father’s words, “Dad please! Need I remind you that Jin Woo’s my kid too.”

It was his father’s turn to laugh before continuing, “Anyhow I just wanted to let you know that I’m proud of you not because of your achievements nor because you obeyed me but because you are a good man who will uphold his principles and fight for what is right. As a father, I couldn’t ask for more.”  

His eyes became a little misty upon hearing what his father said. He honestly didn’t expect that his father knew what he was feeling and thinking even before.

“Thanks dad and thank you as well for looking after Jin Woo and by extension Mo Yeon when I couldn’t do it. I got my family back because of you” he said sincerely.

His father smiled and clapped him in the back, “So what do you want to discuss? I think this is highly confidential. You wouldn’t ask to meet me here if it’s not.”

“I have reason to believe that the NIS has been infiltrated by members of the syndicate.”

“Just like what Tae Min and Ji Su reported to me. Do you have an idea who could it be?” his father asked.

“I just have a suspicion but nothing concrete yet. However, I already narrowed down a list of potential suspects based on who has access to the secure data servers of the NIS. Mo Yeon found a USB left by Tae Min and Ji Su which contains a part of the map that may pinpoint the location of the syndicate’s headquarters. When I fit it into the portion found by the Alpha Team, it completes the map. However it is curious that when I tried using the NIS archives to search for more information I couldn’t find anything about the place. What’s even more surprising is that when I searched for the place the map is pointing to it states that the location where it is supposed to be exists but the area is just barren land. And we both know how extensive the NIS data archives are supposed to be, it could even state if there is an underground facility in a certain place which means that….”

However he wasn’t able to finish his statement because his father interjected, “Which means that someone may have deleted the information in the data archives.”

He looked at his father and nodded grimly.

His father’s face turned more solemn and said, “I don’t know if this will be of help but Mo Yeon’s father already suspected that there is a traitor within the CIA and he has proof of who the person is. He was supposed to share the information with me after our last mission however he died before he was able to do so.”

“Mo Yeon offered to use her CIA “connections” to get to the bottom of things. She was made aware by Tae Min and Ji Su via a video they made of the situation, but I didn’t allow her. It’s too dangerous.”

“I agree it is but she might have a point. She is better connected to the CIA than you. After all, she has better relations with the Jung father and son pair. You might want to reconsider.”

“I’m not so sure…” he said his tone clearly unconvinced.

“Are you just really worried about Mo Yeon’s safety or that she will be closer with Atty. Jung?” his father asked albeit teasingly.

He growled and pouted, “Aish I’m not. I’m really worried about her safety.”

Youn-geun laughed and patted him on the head, “Awww my son. Some things never change I see that you’re still wrapped around Mo Yeon’s finger.”

He looked at his father sulkily which made the old man laugh harder.

“Anyway, I’ll leave it up to you what you decide on. After all, you’ve proven time and again how capable you are. I believe that you will decide on the best way to solve this case and to keep your family safe.”

He looked at his father gratefully, “Thank you father.”

The two of them then stood up and started walking towards their respective cars. But before they parted he faced Young-geun once again and said,

“By the way, just to let you know I bought back our old house. I’m going to have it renovated. Once this is over, I plan to resign from the NIS and just live with Mo Yeon and Jin Woo there. Do you think they will like it here?”

His father gave him a reassuring smile and said, “I’m sure they will. After all, Jin Woo inherited his father’s taste.”

Si Jin smiled at what his father said and with a last wave to the old man he boarded his car and drove away, him and his father going in different directions.

 

Si Jin knocked softly on the door and opened it when he was given permission by its occupant to enter. Dae Young’s wide smile greeted him as soon as he entered.

“Well, well, well someone finally had the time to visit me” Dae Young said teasingly.

He laughed, “Sorry I was really busy with work.”

“Hmm is that so?” Dae Young said clearly unconvinced, “However, I heard from my sources that someone by the name of Yoo Si Jin is a lot chirpier these past few days. Is there anything that I should know?” the man even funnily wiggled his eyebrows at Si Jin for emphasis.

“Aish who are those sources? Maybe I should fire them” he said jokingly.

“Come on just spill it! But I would wager a guess does this have to do a female lawyer with the name of Kang Mo Yeon?”

He tried his best to look exasperated but failing to do so, “Alright. We are back together.”

Dae Young looked extremely pleased upon hearing the news. He then asked, “So how does it feel to have your ex-wife and add to that, your son back?”

Si Jin smiled brightly and was about to respond when the door to Dae Young’s room opened with a bang. The two of them immediately turned their attention towards the door and Si Jin’s smile got wider when he recognized who just entered.

“Uncle Dae Young!!” Jin Woo shouted enthusiastically. The child then ran towards Dae Young’s bed and started climbing it to sit beside the man.

“Jin Woo be careful. Uncle Dae Young’s still recovering” Mo Yeon gently reminded her son. She then turned to Dae Young with a smile on her face, “How are you feeling?”

“Better now, thanks for asking” Dae Young responded in kind.

“Hey I’m starting to feel jealous of Dae Young. You and Jin Woo haven’t greeted me. I’m here too you know!” Si Jin complained beside Mo Yeon.

Mo Yeon rolled her eyes, “Are you the patient? The reason why we’re here is because of Dae Young.”

Jin Woo who is already seated comfortably beside Dae Young looked up at his father and said, “That’s right daddy. But don’t worry I still love you more than Uncle Dae Young” the child finished his statement with a cute smile on his face.

“Well you should, I’m your father” Si Jin said while giving Jin Woo a pretend serious look.

Jin Woo laughed and raised his hands towards his father while Si Jin carried the child. Jin Woo then kissed his father on his cheek and hugged him while Si Jin hugged his son back. Dae Young watched the scene with fondness.

Mo Yeon t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter