Their Past

Love at Risk
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 2 – Their Past

Si Jin is trying his best not to smile while his ex-wife is shooting daggers at him. He has to admit that Mo Yeon still looks beautiful. Actually, she’s more beautiful now, he thought. However, gone was the innocent and happy disposition that was reflected in her eyes, instead it now shows someone who is wiser but jaded because of her experiences in life. He knew that he was partly to blame because of that. His reverie was broken when Mo Yeon cleared and raised an eyebrow at him.

“So Director Yoo what brings you here?” Mo Yeon asked in a very civil manner.

Trying his best to conceal his embarrassment at having been caught staring at her longer than usual, he walked over to the sofa inside the room and comfortably sat on it. Mo Yeon is now showing signs of being impatient repeated the question, “So Director Yoo what brings you here?”

He decided to by answering, “Nothing. I just wanted to see you, that’s all. Can’t an ex-couple see each other from time to time?”

Mo Yeon’s face suddenly darkened and all traces of civility escaped her tone and said, “Yoo Si Jin this is not the time to joke around. Based on personal experience, a situation is no laughing matter whenever you’re around. So tell me, what brings you here?”

Si Jin knows better than to continue teasing his ex-wife. If there’s one thing that apparently hasn’t changed, it is Mo Yeon’s uncanny ability to “scare” him into spilling the truth. He took a deep breath and said, “I’m here to let you know that you and Jin Woo would have to be placed under protective custody of the NIS. Jin Woo’s parents Tae Min and Ji Su are both field agents of the agency. They are both working on a high profile case at the time of their deaths.”

Mo Yeon’s forehead creased, “Okay. I understand why Jin Woo would be placed under your protective custody but why does it have to include me?”

“Mo Yeon ….” Si Jin started but Mo Yeon raised her hand to stop him from going any further.

“Atty. Kang, Director Yoo. I prefer to be addressed that way, if you don’t mind” Mo Yeon said, her serious demeanor still apparent.

Si Jin took a deep breath and walked over to where Mo Yeon is standing, “Mo Yeon can we drop the formalities? After all we’ve been…” again Mo Yeon raised a hand to stop him from continuing then said, “Director Yoo, let’s just stick to formalities. It’s better this way.”

Si Jin, who is now starting to feel frustrated then said, “You want me to call you Atty. Kang? Act as if we don’t know each other and share a past? Isn’t that a bit pretentious?”

At hearing his words, Mo Yeon’s voiced raised and said, “And what do you want me to do, pretend as if everything’s okay? As if what happened before was nothing?”

“Need I remind you who suddenly left without a word then just a few days after divorce papers were waiting at our house’s doorstep?” Si Jin replied voice raised and looking Mo Yeon in the eye.

Mo Yeon met her ex-husband’s stare with equal intensity and in a dangerously low voice said, “Do I need to remind you why or have you forgotten? I didn’t know your memory , Director Yoo.”

“That’s enough, both of you” someone spoke from near the door.

Both of them then turned their heads to look at the source and found out it was Dae Young who spoke up. He then walked over to the estranged couple then said, “Why don’t the both of you take a seat, calm down and discuss this like civil adults.”

Mo Yeon and Si Jin then moved to separate directions with Si Jin sitting on the sofa while Mo Yeon sat on the chair at Jin Woo’s bed side.

Dae Young whose relationship with Mo Yeon still remained cordial even after the couple’s divorce decided to be the one to take over the discussion about Jin Woo. “Mo Yeon, I believe Big Boss already informed you Tae Min and Ji Su are both field agents of NIS who have been working on a big case prior to their ambush. Now Jin Woo would need to be under protective custody of the NIS since we believe that the men who did the ambush may still come back for the child as he witnessed the attack. As Jin Woo’s appointed guardian, you will also be provided the same level of security, for both of your safety.”

Mo Yeon who is obviously calmer now that it is Dae Young talking asked, “Does your agency have plans of making Jin Woo into a witness for this case?”

Dae Young gave a sidelong glance at Si Jin who nodded a little indicating his approval for him to divulge the information then answered, “Yes, but only as a last resort.”

Mo Yeon took a deep breath obviously not liking the idea of Jin Woo being exposed to these kinds of situations. He should just be playing with other children enjoying his childhood not to be involved in this, she thought. She also strongly protested the idea of being under protective custody. Aside from the fact that her movements will be closely watched not enabling her to move freely as she wants to, it would also mean that she would be forced to have more interaction with her ex-husband, an arrangement that she’s not happy with. However, she also has to take into consideration Jin Woo’s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter