Lost and Now Found

Love at Risk
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 11 – Lost and Now Found

Mo Yeon’s forehead creased further and she stole a glance at Si Jin, who, based on his facial reaction seems to be surprised and curious at what’s happening. She has been feeling a bit restless since she and Atty. Jung arrived at the NIS building. When her good friend asked her to go with him some place where they could get further information on Tae Min and Ji Su’s case she didn’t hesitate. She considers the lawyer a good friend of hers since he has pulled her out of some tight spots in the past. And although she admittedly doesn’t know him well on personal level yet, Ji Hoon has never given her any reason to doubt him, until now.

When her friend entered politely but confidently the NIS building, her curiosity was piqued and now that this man, Jung Sung-hoon who introduced himself as the CIA Director for South Korea and Ji Hoon’s father moreover, the same man is now claiming that her father worked with the CIA, to say that she is curious is now just an understatement.

After taking her seat and a few seconds after what the man said finally sunk in, she was able to gather her bearings and said, “Sir I don’t mean to sound impolite but I think you’re highly mistaken. My father wasn’t in the CIA he was a lawyer who died in a car accident.”

“So your mother says” Director Jung replied with a forlorn smile on his face. He then continued, “However, I assure you that he was a field agent of the CIA. But your mother wasn’t lying when she said that he is a lawyer because that’s what he is. But just like Director Yoo here, he had another occupation which was a CIA agent. I have documents here as proof.” The director then handed over to her an envelope. She started reaching over to receive it but for some reason her hands shook a little. Ji Hoon warmly covered her hands in a reassuring manner and was the one who got the documents from his father and handed it to her. She opened the envelope and out came the pictures of her father together with Atty. Jung and friends from the CIA obviously taken during happy times. Some pictures reflected time when both men are undergoing training or just in the office hanging out. There was also a picture of her when she was still a baby with her parents. Her father was even beaming proudly at the camera with him carrying her in his arms. Her eyes started to cloud and she blinked back her tears. She then quickly scanned the documents and she was able to get bits and pieces of information. He father’s tenure with the CIA, details of operations that her father handled or was part of. Based from the data, she could say that her father was very good in his job however the words cause of death particularly got her eye as it read, killed in action.

She raised her eyes to look at Director Jung and asked, “What happened? How did my father died?”

Director Jung took a deep breath and answered, “It all started when your father and I got assigned to track a syndicate whose business is into illegal drugs and human trafficking. Both of just got promoted to senior field agents and while doing surveillance we got into a gunfight with the syndicate’s henchmen. During the exchange and we chanced upon a man who helped us subdue the enemies. He turned out to be your father Director Yoo, Young-geun Yoo who was working back then as a senior field agent for the NIS. That’s when we figured out that the NIS and CIA are both investigating the matter. The three of us then proposed to our respective heads that it would be a good idea to combine assets of both agencies to bring down the group. We then embarked on a joint operation which proved to be successful but not without casualties. It was in that mission that I lost my partner and best friend. And that’s your father Mo Yeon. After what happened, your mother vowed that she will do everything to keep you safe thus the reason why details about the true nature of your father’s work and death were kept from you. However, sometimes our past has a way to haunt us and ours did in a way that your father, I and Young-geun didn’t expect. When Young-geun found out that you and Si Jin were dating, he was able to figure out who your father was. He called to inform me of the situation and we even had a good laugh about it. When your father was still alive and you were born, we often about having you betrothed to either my or Young-geun’s son. It was indeed an interesting twist of fate. The three of us fostered a strong bond of friendship while doing the mission and even after your father died Young-geun and I kept in touch.  However when intelligence report came out that the syndicate that the three of us brought down years ago was back in operation and stronger than before, Young-geun and I were alarmed. Young-geun decided that it will be NIS who will handle the situation since the operations are all happening in Korean soil. We at the CIA continued to help with intelligence gathering to assist NIS it was during this time that more disturbing information came to my knowledge. Based on the analysis of the report submitted, our team was able to figure out that most of the men killed by the syndicate were involved directly and indirectly in the operations that I, Young-geun and your father led. This was the reason Director Yoo that your father advised you not to tell Mo Yeon about your involvement with the NIS. Your father thought that the less Mo Yeon knows the safer she will be. We thought that the group hasn’t made the connection between Mo Yeon and her father since Mo Yeon’s mother ensured that all connections with the CIA were cut when Mo Yeon was growing up. But we were wrong and it was too late when we finally realized that the group already made the connection between Mo Yeon and her father. To make matters worse, we knew that you and Si Jin will both be targets now due to who are your fathers and Si Jin’s connection to the NIS. Thus, Young-geun and I took necessary measures to ensure your safety.”

Mo Yeon spoke with bitterness in her voice, “Sir, with all due respect, I think your measures failed as not everyone was able to survive the attack.”

Director Jung nodded, understandingly fully well what she meant. However, the man looked her straight in the eye and his next words made Mo Yeon’s heart come to a complete stop.

“Mo Yeon, that’s not true. All thr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter