Wistful Moments

Love at Risk
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 7 – Wistful Moments

Mo Yeon sighed and continued rummaging through her closet for clothes. She asked Min-ji to help her in packing her stuff tonight. As agreed with Si Jin, they will fetch Jin Woo tomorrow night and proceed to his house since the child has been given clearance by Myeong Ju to be discharged.

Min-ji who is sitting on her bed stopped folding some of her clothes and reached over to touch her arm. Her friend then pulled her down so that she will sit on the bed, both of them facing each other.

“Are you sure you’re okay with this?” Min-ji asked gently.

She took a deep breath and gave her friend a wry smile, “Yes.”

“Are you really sure? There might still be another option that you can think of. After all, living under the same roof with him will not be easy. Memories will definitely come back. If you are not emotionally ready for it, you might as well call this arrangement off” her friend reminded her.

She gave her friend a gentle smile and said, “I know. But don’t worry about me.” She then pointed to her chest where her heart is, “This is stronger now and wiser.” With a reassuring smile on her face, she continued, “When I told you that I realized that Si Jin and I must work together to ensure Jin Woo’s safety and security at all costs, I was committed to keep my word. This is just a small sacrifice compared to lives that will be saved. I don’t want another innocent victim in this case, so I’ll do my part. For now I would have to set aside personal feelings.”

Min-ji patted her hand in a reassuring manner and they both decided to resume fixing her things.

 

Si Jin is patiently waiting for Mo Yeon to come back to the office. Min-ji was surprised to see him arrive way earlier than the agreed time that she would fetch Mo Yeon. The assistant then informed him that she is in an out of office meeting together with the other partners of the firm. Admittedly, he was excited to have her move in with him again even though it is under the guise of official NIS business. His pleasant reverie was broken when he heard happy voices coming from the hallway. He already has a pleasant smile plastered on his face since he heard Mo Yeon’s voice among the incoming crowd when he turned his head, ready to greet her. However the smile slowly vanished from his face as he saw that Mo Yeon wasn’t alone. His ex-wife was laughing merrily at what the man beside her was saying and his heart clenched at the sight. It’s been a while since he saw her laugh like that, he thought wistfully and that smile, her bright smile was not directed at him. Even though he is starting to feel down at what he witnessed, he regained his composure and stood up as soon as he saw Mo Yeon and Atty. Jung drawing closer to Mo Yeon’s office.

“Atty. Kang” he called out.

Mo Yeon followed the direction where the voice came from and was surprised to see Si Jin there. She glanced at her watch and noticed that it is still two hours away from their scheduled meet-up.

“Atty. Yoo, I didn’t expect you to be this early” she said, surprise evident in her voice.

“I was in the area due to another meeting so I just decided to drop by already to save time and effort” he replied trying his best to look cheerful. The reason he gave was actually an excuse as he intentionally came earlier than expected.

“Hmmm I see. Would you want anything? I could ask Min-ji to order something for you. I still have some things to finish in the office before we can go” Mo Yeon kindly offered.

“It’s alright. I’ll just wait for you here” he responded with a gentle smile on his face.

Mo Yeon then gave him a small smile before entering her office. The other lawyer also acknowledged his presence with a respectful bow before following suit.

Si Jin watched as the two continued their discussion inside the room. The two lawyers, though obviously engaged in a work related discussion, are clearly at ease with each other. He can’t help but feel wistful, that’s how he and Mo Yeon used to be when they were in law school and even when they were just starting their career as lawyers.

“Don’t worry Director Yoo. There’s still time” Min-ji’s voice suddenly broke into his reverie.

He turned towards the assistant’s direction and noticed that she is smiling encouragingly at him. Min-ji who was watching Si Jin since Mo Yeon arrived with Atty. Jung noticed the longing that is reflected in the man’s eyes and she can’t help but feel sympathetic towards him. However, she doesn’t want to meddle because she also understands what Mo Yeon has been through. She knows that her friend needs to take her time to sort out her emotions.

“Just be patient with her” Min-ji added.

Si Jin smiled gratefully at the woman, “Don’t worry, I will be.”

The assistant then smiled upon hearing his reply and continued her work.

 

Mo Yeon stretched her arms as she rose from her seat. Finally, she was able to finish what still needs to be done for this work week. She just needs to wrap some things up before she can finally call it a day. This means that she can focus on looking after Jin Woo over the weekend. Speaking of Jin Woo, she suddenly remembered that Si Jin is waiting for her. She glanced at her watch and realized that he must have been waiting for more than three hours already. She opened the door to her office and noticed that Si Jin already fell asleep in the waiting area. She then turned her attention towards Min-ji who is still in her desk.

“Did he eat anything?” she asked.

Her assistant shook her head, “No. I offered to have something delivered for him but he refused. He said that he wants to have dinner with you and Jin Woo.”

Mo Yeon’s forehead creased at what she heard, “Is that so? But he’s been waiting here for 3 hours already. I’m sure he’s famished.” She took a deep breath before continuing, “Anyway, just make an egg sandwich for him. The spread I made is inside the refrigerator, you may just use that. That’s his favorite. And kindly make coffee for him, no cream. He wants it black.” She then went back inside her office.

Min-ji then stood up to do as she was told. However, she can’t help but smile as she witnessed Mo Yeon put a blanket on Director Yoo before walking towards the other direction.

 

Si Jin woke up when she felt someone calling him. When he opened his eyes and his vision cleared, he realized that it was Min-ji waking him up.

“Director Yoo, have some sandwich and coffee first. Atty. Kang is still finishing some work but she will be done in 30 minutes she said” the assistant informed him.

“Oh, thank you. I didn’t not

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter