[Yuki] You don’t really have a choice in this situation…

The Girl in the Rain

 

 

I couldn’t believe it. Idols? What were they doing here? The moment kind of interrupted the flow of my thoughts. When I got a grip, I remembered I had a well-known music director for a brother.

“Um, annyeonghasseyo, Kim Yuki mida,” I managed to say.

“Uwa, One-sshi, your sister is pretty,” one of them told my brother. Taeyeon? Sorry, I’m not that updated when it comes to music. And if I was, I’d only listen to the radio so I can’t really match their names with their faces.

Oppa laughed and he motioned for me to sit beside him “Great performance, Yuki. Best one yet, I’ll say.”

I was surprised to hear Eri bursting out laughing. I hadn’t noticed that everyone else was there. So this is where they went. “Uh, One-oppa, this is the first time you went to D.N.A.’s live performance so how can you say something like that?” she exclaimed.

“D.N.A? Deoxy ribonucleic acid?” Seohyun asked. The rest of us laughed, Seohyun always had the reputation to be innocent and smart. I was waiting for my friends to explain because I was having a hard time opening and closing my mouth. I was afraid that if I opened it, it might stay opened and I’d look stupid.

Luckily, Hana was to the rescue “Nae. The one responsible for the person’s traits. Probably the reason why we love music. At least one person in our families is associated to music.”

“Really?” All 9 girls asked in chorus.

“Yes. My father is a music teacher back in Busan. Hana’s mother was a violinist in an orchestra. Eri’s grandfather was a jazz man. And Yuki, well, you know One-oppa,” Miyo chimed in with a smirk on her face.

“Oh, and isn’t ajusshi a composer too? Although I remembered that he sold his songs to other composers or kept his name anonymous,” Hana added, perhaps too excited over the conversation. Ichi and I looked at each other. Our dad’s old work is always a touchy subject  and we tried to avoid it. Though it is true… but Ichi once told me that that was just one side of the story.

“Right! I should individually introduce the girls I brought since I know Yuki has a hard time remembering people,” Oppa said as he winked at me. Obviously, he knew.

So I was formally introduced to the 9 girls of Girls Generation. Taeyeon, Sunny, Hyoyeon, Sooyoung, Tiffany, Jessica, Yuri, Yoona and Seohyun. I think I won’t forget their names. Hehe.

“Ok. Now that that’s done, I should say the reason why we are all here tonight” Oppa said.

“Yah, Oppa, I thought you were here because you wanted to listen to us? Do you mean you have an ulterior motive?” I joked. To my surprise, he laughed, SNSD laughed.

Yuri was the one who explained, perhaps concerned to see my confused expression “Nae, it’s actually like that, Yuki-sshi. One oppa said your band could help us in our next live. Our manager said we should check you out first and this was the perfect time. He’s outside, our manager.”

“Huh? Us, perform with you?” I said, I’m only getting more and more confused.

“Yes, the theme for the next M! Countdown Special is ‘new beginnings’ and stuff like that. We wanted to play with a band but FT Island and CNBLUE will have their own stages so we had to find an alternative” Yoona explained.

The word “CNBLUE” gave me a jolt and I got the grip I wanted so I was able to focus more on the situation at hand. “So you mean we’re going to play at Countdown with you?” I repeated.

“Yes, and after hearing you play the songs we’re supposed to perform at M! Countdown, I guess it pretty much convinced our manager to agree to One oppa’s suggestion,” Jessica added.

At that moment, Eri and Miyo dragged me outside the room. “Yah, Yuki, this is our chance to show the people our skills and our music! You can’t say no!” Miyo whispered.

“But-“

“And besides, Hana is already excited and has made up her mind. You don’t want to disappoint our baby, right?” Eri added, still whispering.

Sigh, I already knew I had no choice. I kind of picked up from Oppa’s hand signals that this was important for him and he was asking me a favor. Plus the fact that the rest of my band are pumped up for it as well.

“Okay”

“Yay! Yuki, you’re the best leader ever!” Miyo and Eri repeated over and over again while they were jumping ang hugging me at the same time.

Oppa stuck his head out and saw the commotion “Judging from these reactions, I think we’re good to go,” then he opened the door wide and told the people inside “It’s a green light!”

I didn’t know what was amazing, the sight of Hana bursting in tears while saying “I love you unnie” or when each member of SNSD came up to me and hugged me and said “We will be awesome on stage!” or “I look forward to our performance” or something of the sort.

The club was empty by the time we came out so we lounged by the couches. Apparently the owner didn’t mind because of present company. We talked over the details. The special episode was a month away so we had to practice together as much as we can. We had to schedule while keeping in mind the schedules of 13 girls. It was pretty hard but Ichi was a natural at making schedules. I guess it goes with the job.

We were about to leave for our separate homes when Yoona pulled me to the side, “Yuki-sshi, I noticed, but maybe it’s just me.”

“What is it?”

“Do you not like me for some reason?”

I was taken aback. A top idol, someone who everybody loves, asking me if I don’t like her? Me, practically a nobody?

“I-I like you, Yoona-sshi. Please don’t misunderstand my actions. My brain is a little complicated, you see. I’m sorry if you felt uncomfortable in a way,” I explained. Would it matter if I lied? The truth, I don’t know how I should feel about her yet, with all the rumors going around and all. “Um, Yoona-sshi? Do you mind if I asked you a question? Is it true, you know, those rumors, that you dated those guys?” Wow. Blunt, I know.

Yoona laughed, a lot. “Is that what that awkwardness was about? Because of those rumors? No, they’re not true. I’ve never dated in my life. I’ve never had a boyfriend either,” then, she lowered her voice to a whisper “In fact, I’ve never kissed a boy too. Except maybe in dramas. In real life, though, never.”

I smiled. She trusted me with a secret, she’s a good person. “Okay, if that’s the case, then I will protect Yoona’s innocence!” I said, imitating a scene from a drama.

“What the? Hahaha. Yuki-sshi, I think I like you a lot. We’re going to be good friends, I can see it,” she said, amused at my change in character, “Though I am kind of curious why you asked me that question,” she looked at me quizzically.

I managed a smile, “Perhaps I will tell you, once we get to know each other more. I hope to be good friends with you too, soon.”

And as we walked back to where the rest of the people were, I knew at that moment, I had gained a new friend. 9 of them, in fact.

 

***

I drove Hana to their house in Seoul, then I went back to my own apartment. I placed my guitars on their respective racks and got myself ready for bed. I was about to dive into my mattress when I remembered my phone needed charging.

“Annyeong~” I sang as I plugged the charger and my phone. Maybe I had messages from school or something. Instead, what I saw made me freeze.

                From: Babo

                Message: How are you?

I thought I’d delete that number years ago. Should I reply? Should I erase it? My heart was thumping, louder than it usually does. Stupid. Why are you feeling this way? Get over it, get over it, please.

Then, I did the unthinkable, I replied.

                To: Babo

                Message: What do you want?

I stared at it for minutes. Would he reply? How long ? Should I wait?

I felt an uncomfortable feeling in my chest. Like someone is squeezing me. No, I had to fight this off. I’m not weak. I can take care of myself.

I was sweating beads onto the floor when the next message came, and I almost fainted…

                From: Babo

                Message: You.

I sat there on the floor, who knows for how long, staring at that one word. When I couldn’t take it anymore, I cried and cried and cried.

Stupid. I’m stupid. I can’t even control myself. I don’t know how long I cried, I just know that I cried until my body gave in and I fainted face-first onto the floor. 




 

 

Hmmm... interesting. I know what you're thinking "You're the author and you found it interesting. Well, duh!".

Haha. I hope you don't mind about that Yoona bit. I want her and Yuki to be good friends so a side conversation and saying of secret was needed. Can you guess why Yuki asked Yoona that question, though? I think Burning Souls can answer that one. Hehehe^^

I'm feeling extra moody today so maybe I can write another chapter or two for this *fistpump*

I think views are increasing (or is it just me?) so I'm happy^^

Please comment and/or subscribe, that'd make me really really happy.