[Jonghyun] Yes, I am A Coward

The Girl in the Rain

 

“Jonghyun, I don’t love you anymore,” those words echoed inside my head that day, and the next day, and the next day…

As expected Yuki’s band was garnering attention. From the fans, from the entertainment companies, from producers and of course, from musicians. I expected a lot of negative comments because they were always common for a band who’s just starting out. Like in our case, people said that we couldn’t play and were just pretending. I remember Minhyuk cried about it a lot. Weird thing, though, is that you could hardly see any negative comments. Perhaps this was SME’s doing? Or maybe they’re just really flawless?

We were in FNC Music when President Han called me to his office a few days after DNA made their debut in M! Countdown. I didn’t know the reason so I was a bit worried.

“Jonghyun, what do you think of that new group of girl musicians?” I was surprised at the question. I thought he was just going to ask me about how much I Improved lately.

“I-I don’t know what to make of them yet, President.”

He sighed and looked at me, “You can’t have any competition from SME. It’s going to be rough.”

“What do you mean?” the thought of CNBLUE and DNA being rivals never even crossed my mind. We were always usually compared to FT Island but we were fine with it since we’re from the same company and we were all friends who just laughed about it.

“They’re obviously a Trendy Pop band like CNBLUE unlike Rock like FT Island. Of course CNBLUE can also pull off rock but your concept is similar to theirs. I’m worried since SME IS SME,” he replied, seeing my confused expression.

“What are you suggesting, President?”

Just then, the door burst open and Ichi stood there in the doorway. He looked like he ran out of breath.

“Ichi-goon, what happened?” President Han asked him, they had kind of a teacher-student friendship between them.

“Han-saeng, FNC and SME will not take over management of DNA. I was just at SME to discuss that,” Ichi said as he slowly breathed out his words.

“Because they will be under my company, ONE Entertainment.”

***

We were all surprised at the announcement. Turns out Ichi had planned this all along, that’s why he let DNA play with SNSD on M! Countdown. He was already readying his company along with a few other rising names in the music industry. Smart Ichi, always the strategist, always plans out everything.

They had a Press Conference after a few days and the President asked me to tag along. I had a suspicion why. The problem was, though, Jonghun also came with us. I was kind of annoyed at him because he tried to hit on Yuki… MY Yuki.

The 4 girls answered some basic stuff the reporters asked. I guess Ichi prepared them for this because they knew how to answer each one to the reporter’s liking. Then it was Yuki’s turn to be asked,

“Yuki-sshi, do you have a boyfriend?”

Yuki made a thinking look and answered with a smile, “No, I don’t anymore.”

“Anymore? Does that mean you had one before?”

“Of course. I’m already this old,” Yuki replied and laughed, all the others laughed with her.

“Yah, Jonghyun, shouldn’t you be happy that she doesn’t have a boyfriend anymore? That means we have a chance,” Jonghun commented when he saw me scowl.

If she had a boyfriend, that would be me, Jonghun. I wanted to tell him that. To rub it in his face, but I also remembered that there were dozens of reporters here so I had to take care of our reputation, Yuki’s and mine.

Ichi concluded the Press Conference by saying, “DNA will have their solo debut stage in a few weeks. I hope everyone will support us. Oh, and Yuki has a performance in Seoul University in their upcoming Korea-Japan friendship festival, I hope you all support her.”

I saw Yuki’s face, she was shocked that her brother would say to the reporters something that should’ve been personal. I knew that Ichi had a plan. We just had to figure out what it was.

***

“President Han, so happy that you could come today,” Ichi greeted our president and shook his hand.

“Now, now, Ichi, don’t be so formal with me. Besides, I see a good future ahead for your sister’s band. What I didn’t expect, though, is you making an entertainment company with your friends.”

Ichi smiled and nodded. President Han turned to me and said, “You want to see her, don’t you? Go run along now, Jonghyun, while Jonghun is not here or else he will come with you.”

I didn’t expect that to happen but I simply bowed to him and told him thanks. And I ran as fast as I could to where Yuki was.

“If you’re looking for Yuki, she’s probably in the rooftop,” I heard a voice behind me say. It was Miyo.

“Oh, hello Miyo-sshi, long time no see,” I greeted.

“Just go, Jonghyun,” I could tell she didn’t want to talk and so I ran towards the elevator and pressed the button then took one flight of stairs to the rooftop. This was Ichi’s building so Yuki should know its ins and outs.

And there she was, sitting on the floor, her head to her knees. Was she crying? She didn’t notice me yet.

I got on my knees and hugged her from the back.

“What the-?” was what she said after seeing who it was.

“Yah, Lee Jonghyun, can you please not harass me every time we’re alone together?”

I smiled and shrugged, “I can’t help it.”

“So, today you came too,” Yuki said, she was staring at the sky. I was still hugging her and she was leaning on me.

“It’s not my fault. The president asked me to come.”

“I guess he’s guilty, then…”

“What does that mean?”

“Never mind.”

I shook my head and then looked at the sky too eventually, “What’re you thinking about?”

“I’m wondering when you’ll stop this back hug. Didn’t I tell you that I don’t have feelings for you anymore?” Yuki sighed.

I laughed, “Didn’t I tell you that I’m never giving up? And I can stay this way forever.”

“No you can’t. Sooner or later you’ll get hungry and you’ll go find food,” Aish. I don’t know what to do. A few days ago she was mad at me now she’s acting like she doesn’t care what I do. Kim Yuki…

I heard footsteps so I let her go and stood up. I can tell by her expression that she was surprised that I let go.

“Yuki, Ichi told me to call you. School arrangements,” Eri called from down the stairs.

“I- I’m coming! Go on ahead,” Yuki called back. She stood up and headed for the stairs but before she came down, I grabbed her shoulder to stop her,

“Our new album will be released one of these days. Please listen to my new songs,” I begged.

“As your hoobae, I will.”

“I want you to listen to it as-“

She cut me off, “I will listen to it.”

There I stood on the rooftop, watching the back of the woman I love the most disappear into the building.

***

“Hey, Jonghyun-yah, where have you been?”

“Shut up, Jonghun. Let’s go home.”

“Boys, you shouldn’t fight. You are my lead guitarists, after all.”

“Yes, President.”

***

Our last full-length indie album came out 3 days later, bearing the name 392. “San-Kyu-Two”… “Thank You 2”. There are three new songs in it with the other songs that have been released in our mini albums. I wrote “Coward” and “Illusion”, the two songs I hope Yuki would listen to.

I checked our twitter account and there were many reactions from Boice. Happy, sad because it was our last indie album, excited for the concert, et cetera. Most of the comments addressed to me made me laugh because it was the same thing I said to Hyung, “At least it’s not about rain anymore,” Haha~

They liked Coward. So I guess I really am one since people agree.

My phone beeped which meant I got a new text message. I thought it was Jonghun who wanted to congratulate me or something but it wasn’t.

From: Yuki

Message: I listened to Coward and Illusion

And? That’s it? Well, I did tell her to just listen to it. Then, my phone beeped again.

From: Yuki

Message: It’s good to know that you’ve finally noticed how much of a coward you are.

I replied, “I wrote it because you kept saying that I am.”

From: Yuki

Message: …

I looked at the text. Was she thinking about it? Then, I got another message.

From: Yuki

Message: Come to Seoul University’s Korea-Japan Friendship Festival.

What? What does that have to do with anything? Anyway, I had no choice but to reply, “Okay, I’ll see you then.”

The festival was a week from now. I marked the day on my calendar and then lay on my bed.

On that day, I get to see Yuki. I get to talk to her again. And hopefully, I can get an answer by then.



 

It turns out I got a headache from riding the roller coaster and that swinging boat thingy. Ugh. Well, at least I had fun, huh? 

Anyway, I like Jonghyun's Coward too and Illusion was heartwarming so... (I wonder why they fit so perfectly? *evil grin*)

I can't wait for the Festival! It's gonna be good~ though I haven't written it yet. So stay tuned! 

Links, links, here ya go... Lyrics and rough translation of the 2 songs:

COWARD

http://cnbluestorm.com/2011/09/01/lyricsromanizedtrans-coward/ 

ILLUSION

http://cnbluestorm.com/2011/08/31/lyrics-illusion/

credits to CNBLUESTORM^^

Hello to my subscribers! Your comments really inspire and push me to write everyday XD

Please don't forget to comment and/or subscribe! Arigato!