Of Fairy Godmothers and Divas

Taking Care of the Chois
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Jin Ki-yah! Are you done with your homework?"

"Deh, Umma!", Jin Ki answers, handing his notebook to his mother to sign. He sits down beside her at the couch. He hugs her on the side while his mother was looking at a piece of card. "Umma, what is that?"

"It's an invitation sent by Halmeoni. It's for a party."

"A birthday party? Can I go with you? Will there be a magician? I hope there are no clowns. Clowns are scary."

Seo Yeon smiled at her son's train of questions. She pulls him closer to her and leans back on the sofa. "It is an adult party, Jin Ki-yah."

"Then you should go with Appa."

"Huh?"

"So you will have friend there."

Seo Yeon giggles at her son's innocent suggestion. "Well, your imos are going, too. So I have them with me."

"What about me?"

"Well, your halmeoni wants you to stay the night at their house. Uncle Soo Man will take care of you."

"Oooh. Soo Man Haraboji is fun. After dinner last week, he showed me some magic tricks."

Seo Yeon smiles. She did not really want to attend the party since nobody will look after Jin Ki. Hana gleefully suggested bringing Jin Ki to the party. However, Seo Yeon had to refuse because she did not want rumors going around about her son. She was willing to let the Chois spend time and get to know Jin Ki but she was not ready to introduce her son to the public and exposing him to the bad side of "high society". She should know better, after what happened to her years ago. Hana then suggested that Soo Man and Min Gyu will take care of Jin Ki while they attend the event. Seo Yeon hesitated but Haraboji asked her to agree.

"Unnie, Halmeoni called me. She is asking if we can take leave from work tomorrow and see her in the morning. It is about the charity ball on Saturday.", Ha Eun announces as she enters their home.

"Yes, then we can go shopping after. We still don't have anything to wear."

"I wanted to talk to you about that! Great, great. Let's do that. Where's Min Seo?"

"She had to assist on an emergency procedure. She sent me a message right before she had to enter the OR.  I already asked her if she will be okay to go to the mall tomorrow. She said that she has the day off tomorrow. I guess we need a lot of time if we need to get look for 3 dresses at the sale racks. I hope the money I have saved is enough for us."

"Unnie..."

"Weh?"

"I can afford the dresses. Or at least, Min-yah and I can buy the dresses for us three. All you have to worry about is who will pick up Jin Ki from school tomorrow."

"No! I want to go, too!", Jin Ki complained with a pout.

"Baby, you have school tomorrow. Won't you miss your friends?"

He slowly nods, still sporting a pout. "But, I want to go with you."

"It will be very tiring, Jin Ki-yah." Ha Eun reasoned out. "Why don't we get ice cream after dinner tomorrow."

"Yes!"

The two ladies giggle along with their little ice cream monster.

 

I need to ask you a favor! Are you still at the hospital?

Min Seo frowns reading the message from Handsome Hyeongbu (brother-in-law) as stored on her mobile phone. She does not remember storing a name like that. But she already suspects who did. I'm on my way home now.

Great. Can we meet at Sunshine Cafe? My treat!

Ok. But I'm telling you, I haven't had dinner. 

No problem! See you, Pretty Cheoje (sister-in-law)!"

 

"Ah, finally. You are here."

"Good morning, Halmeoni! Sorry we are late. We had to send Jin Ki to school, and he won't go until we were reminded of a promise we made yesterday."

"It's okay. What was the promise?"

"I promised him ice cream tonight."

Hana laughed. "Ahhh, he is his father's son. Jin Hyuk is the same. 'Is', meaning until now."

The three young ladies laughed along with Hana. "Have you ladies had breakfast? You will need the energy for today."

Min Seo looked up. "That is what we are wondering, Halmeoni. What do we need to do for the charity ball?"

"Well, you'll see.", Hana answered mysteriously.

 

Hana and the Lee sisters were dropped off at the entrance of The Shoppe. Hana led the group to the topmost level of the mall. The fifth floor housed the cinemas and one specialty shop, The Glass Slipper. It is the brainchild of Ji Woo and is directly managed by the Fashion Department of Choi Industries. It has a five-star spa, beauty salon, and luxurious dressing rooms. It employs the best stylists and beauty experts. Brides-to-be, highschool girls about to attend their proms and ladies invited to formal parties, book appointments, to get the best advice on hair, make-up and attires for their special events.

The door was opened by the general manager, Ms. Ra Mi Ran. Ms. Ra, who started out as a seamstress at the Choi's garment factory, found herself in the good graces of the Chois when she bluntly told the teenage Ji Woo, that the dress she chose for prom was "dreadfully ugly". She subsequently made the young heiress a gown that made the front page the day after Ji Woo's prom. The gown has been copied and reproduced hundreds of times and boosted the Choi's retail business. Min Soo and Hana, seeing raw talent, sent her to Europe to study. When she came back, she officially debut as part of Choi Industries by designing the wedding gown of Choi Ji Woo. Through the Chois, she has managed to dress and style actresses, idols, celebrities and political figures. 

"Good morning, Mrs. Choi.", Mi Ran bows.

"Mimi! How are you doing?", Hana inquired holding on to Mi Ran's hands, kissing both cheeks.

"I am doing fine, Ma'am". Hana raises an eyebrow. Mi Ran rolls her eyes. "I am doing fine, Imo."

She then directs the 4 guests to the comfortable chairs by the front desk of the shop. She takes a seat herself, facing the ladies.

"Who do we have here? Is that you Seo Yeon? I haven't seen you since that brat of Ji Woo's had the good sense to date you.", Mi Ran bluntly inquires. She stands up and hugs the younger woman.

Hana laughs. Seo Yeon blushes. She met the older lady a few times when she and Jin Hyuk were still dating. The older lady had a soft spot for Seo Yeon whenever they will visit her. She would always tell Seo Yeon that she should model for her creations. Jin Hyuk refused, so instead, Seo Yeon would wear them during dates and public outings with the Choi heir.

"How are you doing, Ms. Ra?"

"Since when did you address me so formally? Mimi Imo. And are these your sisters? I've heard so much about you two from your unnie. If I remember correctly, one of you wanted to be a lawyer, the other a doctor."

"Mimi, I would like you  to meet Lee Ha Eun, a lawyer. She works

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter