INTERVIEW TRANSCRIPT

Uprising

A/N: triple updates!!!!

INTERVIEW TRANSCRIPT

LAST NIGHT TONIGHT with CHA EUNWOO

TIMESTAMP: 22:30

PARTICIPANTS:

HOST       CHA EUNWOO

GUEST #1 LIEUTENANT AHN CHIL HYUN, DIRECTOR OF REPUBLIC OF SOUTH KOREA ARMED FORCES

GUEST #2 PROFESSOR KRIS WU YIFAN, FORMER DEAN OF DEPARTMENT OF NEUROSCIENCE AT SEOUL NATIONAL UNIVERSITY

 

HOST: Ladies and gentleman welcome once again to Last Night Tonight with your handsome host, Cha Eunwoo!!

(CROWD CHEERS)

HOST: Tonight’s main story comes in light from the results of a very recent hearing regarding the burning of S.M.E.

(NEWS REPORT OF LU HAN’S TRIAL PLAYS)

HOST: The reason why this is important because it raises the question of whether artificially enhanced human beings still benefit society, or are they posing a danger to us? Tonight, we have two guests, Lieutenant Ahn the Director of the Armed Forces and Professor Kris Wu, former Dean of the Department of Neuroscience in Seoul National University. Please welcome them!”

(CROWD CHEERS)

HOST: First of all, I must say thank you very much for taking the time to be with us tonight.

GUEST #1: You’re welcomed.

HOST: Tonight we are going to talk about artificial intelligence. For many years now the military and certain approved organisations have been creating artificial intelligence and using genetic manipulations to do things such as create stronger soldiers and produce healthier babies, protecting them from diseases and such. Lieutenant your research department has been conducting such practices for almost a decade now, what are some of the benefits that you have seen from these practices?

GUEST #1: Well for starters with the advance of these technologies we have been able to produce stronger soldiers as you said. South Korea now has the strongest militants, on terms of warfare equipment and soldier training and all of these are of course meant to keep the country safe.

HOST: Has there ever been incidences or cases where some of these practices have put your soldiers at risk?

GUEST #1: We check our soldiers out very carefully to ensure that they are in top physical condition to undergo our treatment.

GUEST #2: He’s trying to say they pick only the strongest.

HOST: That makes sense of course but Lieutenant my question was has anybody ever died or suffered heavy injury from the treatment.

GUEST #1: I am proud to say that the casualty rate is only 1%.

GUEST #2: There are more than 600,000 men scripted into the army and 1% of that is 6.

(CROWD MURMURS)

GUEST #2: If you ask me that’s still a number. 6 people is a whole family you know. 6 sons, 6 brothers, 6 husbands…

GUEST #1: There are risks to every operation and unfortunately, we can’t have them all functioning perfectly. As a matter of fact, the casualty rate from dying in the battlefield is still very much higher than dying from a mistreatment.

HOST: I see. Lieutenant it has been 10 years since we adopted such measures and there have been multiple studies that all these genetic manipulations has led to severe problems such as increase in violence, lack of accountability when it does go wrong and even the formation of new diseases. Do you still see this as an acceptable practice on our current society?

GUEST #1: I think we should still adopt these practices because mankind has only been able to survive for so long because of these advances in medicine and technology. As you can see now compared to the older generation, we have never been healthier and we have never lived longer. As long as technology advances we can further protect humanity and our children from the dangers they are facing to ensure we stay on forever.

(CROWD CLAPS)

GUEST #2: Lieutenant are you suggesting we all die now?

GUEST #1: Excuse me?

GUEST #2: You said that we can ensure we stay on forever. It sounds like we’re all Gods now. Didn’t Jesus die before he became a God?

(CROWD MURMURS)

HOST: Gentlemen, it seems Professor Wu here disagrees with our Lieutenant.

GUEST #2: Gee whatever gave you that idea?

HOST: Professor you have written a thesis on such problems before am I correct?

GUEST #2: Yes, and then I was kicked out by people like Lieutenant Kiss here.

GUEST #1: Excuse me…

HOST: Gentlemen let’s not be hostile. This is just a friendly, public debate.

GUEST #1: Right.

HOST: Professor, what are your thoughts on the matter?

GUEST #2: I think that our society is taking advantage of this matter in such a way that we have been putting our own children at risk.

(CROWD MURMURS BEFORE SILENCE)

GUEST #2: What Lieutenant Ahn was talking about was trying to fix something that wasn’t broken. To improve and to build perfection, but we all know there is no such thing as perfection. The recent S.M.E. arson should prove that. They spent years trying to create perfect entertainers only to get burned down. What have they achieved in that time? They sacrificed your children for the sake of perfection, subjected them to horrifying experiments and treating them like lab mice.

HOST: Have you witnessed such practices before?

GUEST #2: No, but my son has. His name is Lu Han.

(CROWD GASPS IN SHOCK)

HOST: You mean your…

GUEST #2: That’s right. My son burned down S.M.E.

HOST: We have a member of the Uprising with us! Ladies and gentlemen…

GUEST #2: I am not a member of the Uprising. Do not mistake me for them. They are a radical underground society and I am just a retired professor.

However, I must say I understand their motives.

GUEST #1: What could their motives be? Burn down the whole city and cause millions of civilian deaths all to show people who is boss?

GUEST #2: Aren’t wars also fought that way?

(CROWD MURMURS, SOME BOOING SOME CHEERING)

GUEST #2: Tell me Lieutenant, aren’t wars also like that? Destroying cities and towns, millions of deaths only to show which country is boss?

HOST: Are you advocating their actions?

GUEST #2: No, I’m simply saying that all of this is the result of our own actions. I have warned against this before, that the more we try to play God, the more we lose control of the things we created. This incident with S.M.E will not be the only one we will all hear from. S.M.E basically gave birth to Uprising.

HOST: What do you propose we do?

GUEST #2: We are all smart individuals. Humans are the only beings on this earth capable of such powers. We can come up with solutions to end world hunger, fight poverty and strengthen our security but it should not come at the expense of other people’s lives. We are fighting nature when that is not what we are supposed to do. Mother Nature gives, yet we are trying to rule over her. We are becoming too powerful for our own good.

(MOMENTS OF SILENCE)

GUEST #2: There are voices calling us, telling us there is something wrong with this system, and if we don’t listen to them, we will be at war. War with the beings we created to protect us. And when that happens, Lieutenant, I hope those soldiers you created as good as you made them to be, because some of them may be your enemy.