Day 45 to Uprising

Uprising

                As any concerned parent would, Kris was seriously having second thoughts on Luhan’s job and was trying to ask Luhan if he would like to quit and work somewhere else. He heard Luhan tossing and turning all night because his bed kept knocking the walls and this morning he heard Luhan scream as if he was going to be murdered. He rushed over to wake him up and he was drenched in sweat and panting heavily.

                This was not right. Luhan was never a heavy sleeper from the beginning and he did suffer from nightmares as a child but this was suddenly becoming all too frequent. Nobody should have to go through this kind of torture. Nobody. He didn’t even know what was going on with Luhan’s job as it was confidential.

                When he tried to bring up the possibility of looking for another job, Luhan shot him down instantly. “No, I can’t.” he said. “I was just given an opportunity to research E.X.O. I’m not going anywhere until it’s complete.”

                “Then why have you been screaming at night? You wake up in cold sweat, body shivering and you have been working overtime more than usual. What is it about this job that has been plaguing you?”

                “It’s just…” Luhan cradled his head in his hands, unsure of what to say. “Yesterday, I took a boy for his first surgery. He was only 14.”

                “And?”

                “Kris he was told to go for surgery because he wasn’t perfect. You did not see him. He was so scared and petrified. I asked about his parents but apparently those who are drafted into S.M.E. don’t get to see their parents. Some of them are orphans too.” Luhan could still feel Jisung’s hand in his. “He is so young. And when they finish with him he’ll be one of them. He’ll be one of the perfect ones.”

                “Luhan…”

                “I don’t understand how they could be willing to submit a child through this. Hours in surgery, tubes all over, diets and fitness training, constantly checked and prodded to ensure perfection. When I was 14 I was plotting secret experiments in my school laboratory that would not lead to explosions.”

                “Luhan, you need to wake up and realize that this is reality.” Kris said. “Face it, every artist, soldier, stewardess, waiter and even medical officers are exactly like this. Training institutions do more than just train and provide education. Now they must ensure that the students of their training are perfect. Parents are now scientifically enhancing their offspring through gene manipulation. We are living in a world where we are in control, and with science, we are god.”

                “I used to be so excited about this. I thought we were doing this for the good of humanity. I didn’t know the sacrifice it took.”

                “It depends how you look at it.” Kris sighed. “If you think about the future, national security, defending illnesses then perhaps this is right after all, but you very much know how I feel.”

                “I do Kris.” Luhan nodded. He remembered the nights he stayed up with Kris, talking about the world and what it has come to. He remembered the day Kris was fired from his job for having such thoughts. “You always said the more we tried to play god, the more we lose ourselves as humans.”

                “Now you have seen what it takes to obtain such control, the sacrifices that must be made.” Kris said. “I’m sorry if reality is not what it cracks up to be, but this is the real world Luhan. Like it or leave it, you have to find a way to get through it.”

                “If we are the ones who created this world, then obviously we are the ones who can change it too right? Maybe we can come up with some kind of alternative. Maybe…”

                “Right, but trust me Luhan, changing the world is not as easy as it seems.” Kris patted his hand. “You don’t need to save the world. You just need to learn how to survive.”

                “But how can you live knowing you never made a difference to the world?”

                “You certainly did. You made a difference in my world.” Kris smiled. “My life changed when you were born Luhan. You have been the best thing I have ever been a part of.” He reached up a hand to caress Luhan’s cheek. “I worry about you and the way this job is treating you. Promise me that if it gets too much, you’ll look for something else.”

                “I promise.” Luhan was pulled into Kris’s warm embrace where he stayed for a few minutes. Kris was just trying to protect him. He knew that.

                It was nice to have family.

*****************

                “Must you record this conversation?”

                “It’s standard procedure Sehun.” Luhan said, sitting across Sehun in his cell at the table. Sehun was put on handcuffs but otherwise he was not restraint. A recorder sat between them as Luhan tapped his pen against the table. “I want to talk to you about the riot.”

                “Like so many other before you.” The handsome man scoffed. Luhan tried to ignore the way his blue eyes gleamed in the light, or how his jawline was so sharp it could cut paper.

                “I know. You refused to talk to any of them.”

                “Smart. So you have read the files.” He mocked Professor Kim’s tone and laughed. “What makes you think I’ll talk to you?”

                “I don’t, but I have to try or else I’ll never know.”

                “Persistent.” Sehun leaned back against his chair.

                “Mr. Oh Sehun, what do you remember on that faithful day?”

                “Drop the mister title, this sounds way too formal.”

                “But…”

                “Call me Sehun.”

                “Fine. Mr…I mean Sehun,” Luhan stumbled over his words a little. “Can you tell me what you remember on that day?”

                “I can if you’ll put that recorder away.”

                “Sehun…”

                “I’m not interested in talking to some shrink who thinks I’m insane or just in need of some attention because my parents abandoned me. This has nothing to do with my parents okay? And I’m not interested in talking to someone who thinks they can cure me.”

                “But don’t you want to be cured? So you can be free?”

                “Cured of what? I’m not sick. The only person who is sick is Kyungsoo and he’s still on meds. To be free? From where? This place? And then later sent upstairs to be a part of some dancing squad with Big Boss breathing down your neck? If you ask me I’d prefer it down here. At least people leave me alone here.”

                “Sehun, what can I do to get you to talk to me?”

                “You put your damn recorder away. You don’t take notes while we talk. Nothing of what I say goes on the record. If you want information, you have to be my friend.”

                “Friend?”

                “Yeah. You know, sit around watch TV and insult each other kind of friends.” Sehun furrowed his brows at Luhan’s blank expression. “What? Don’t tell me friends don’t exist anymore.”

                “Sehun, in order for me to do my work, it has to go on record.”

                “And what are you trying to do? Inspect me? Cure me? Research me? I’m not a ing lab rat.”

                “Sehun…”

                “Unless you rethink your strategies I’m not talking to you at all. And don’t even bother talking to my members. They wouldn’t give you the time of day either. We are more than just a bunch of ‘astray lab guinea pigs’. We are people, with actual feelings and emotions.”

                “Sehun please…”

                “Get out of my cell before I flip this table. They medically enhanced my muscles so I’m as strong as the Hulk you know.” Sehun smirked, waving his hand to shoo away Luhan. Luhan got up from the table, taking his recorder and notepad with him.

                He thought he would never see Luhan again, except Luhan just tossed his notepad and recorder outside the cell and re-entered.

                “You drive a hard bargain.” Luhan said, locking the doors.

                “Really eh? I guess I would be a good haggler in the market.” He laughed and Luhan hated how good looking Sehun is and how y his laugh sounds.

                “I threw those stuff away. You wanted a friend right? Fine, I’ll be your friend.”

                “A friend would not sit here and talk to another friend while handcuffed.”

                “He would if he was in jail.”

                “I wouldn’t call this jail you know,” Sehun tipped his chair back so that it stood precariously on its two hind legs. “It’s like a sanctuary. A home away from home. You wouldn’t handcuff a friend in their home would you? Unless you’re into that kind of stuff.” He wiggled his eyebrows teasingly.

                “I don’t have the keys. Jungkook said you cannot be released.”

                “I hate that .”

                Luhan tried hard not to smile. It’s hard not to agree with him on that statement. “Don’t be so loud. The will hear you.”

                Sehun laughed loudly, his head tipping back and his hands slapped against his knee. This laugh was different. It was genuine and happy. “You’re something else Luhan.”

                “Does that mean you’ll talk to me?”

                “What do I get out of it?”

                “Getting out of this cell. A better future perhaps. Maybe you’ll get nothing, but at least you will have a friend.”

                “A friend.” Sehun rolled the word on his tongue. His long eyelashes fluttered against his blue eyes as he took in Luhan standing before him. “How do I know I can trust you?”

                “I’m not like those people sitting up there. They want you dead. I’m the kind of person you want you alive. And happy.”

                “You need to earn my trust before I tell you my story.”

                “Okay.” Luhan sat down at the table. “Fair enough. I’ve got time.”

                “Luhan! Your one hour is up! Let’s go!” Jungkook called from outside.

                “The doesn’t think so.” Sehun teased as Luhan muttered a ‘’ and stood up. Before he opened the cell door he looked at Sehun one more time, taking in his whole figure before turning the latch.

                “Luhan!”

                “Yes?” he turned his head.

                “Can you bring us something to eat tomorrow?” Sehun asked.

                “What do you want?”

                “Bubble tea. I love bubble tea.”

                Luhan snickered a little. This man who was throwing threats and retaliating at him earlier likes tea with pearls in them? Such childish taste buds.

                “Okay.”

                “Cool.”

                “Move your Luhan. I haven’t got all day.” Jungkook complained, locking Sehun’s cell door.

                “Can’t you be more patient?” Luhan snapped. From the corner of his eye he could see Sehun giggling. They swapped small looks at each other as he walked away from the hive and back to the elevator.

                If Sehun wants a friend, fine. Luhan will be a friend.

                Before he gets off from work, Luhan walked over to the medical unit to check on the five boys he bought over the day before. The nurse told him that they were out of intensive care and taken to another floor.

                “Luhan hyung!” Jisung waved at him when Luhan arrived at the ward. He was still in bed and a cast remained on his leg.

                “Jisung how are you?” Luhan reached for his hand.

                “I’m fine. You were right though, I felt no pain during the surgery. I was just asleep.”

                “Of course you were. You are going to be just fine. Soon your cast will be off and you can dance better than ever.” He smiled at Jisung warmly. “Where are your brothers?”

                “Chenle is asleep, but they took Renjun, Jaemin and Jeno away.”

                “Where did they take him?”

                “For Triple X. They said tomorrow it’s my turn.”

                “Right.” Luhan tightened his hand around Jisung. This could be his last day of free will.

                “Will the Triple X hurt?”

                “Oh no. You won’t feel a thing.” He reassured the child.

                You wouldn’t feel anything anymore.

 

A/N: The next few chapters will definitely focus on hunhan a little more. I want to take time to carve their story so that it comes out perfectly so please do be patient with me! Love you guys! and don't forget to leave comments!!