D-Day

Uprising

a/n: double updates!!!!

 

Luhan slept late on the day of Uprising. As if he knew his life would no longer be the same before and after, Kris let him sleep in an extra 20 minutes. He even volunteered to drive him to work.

People become nice to you when you are on the brink of dying.

“Are you all set?”

“Yes Kris.” Luhan nodded. “We had a very long chat the night before, didn’t we?”

“We did.” Kris sighed. “I still wish you weren’t doing this.”

“Kris…”

“I know,” Kris stopped him. “I know what you want to do and why. I won’t stop you.”

He couldn’t anyways. The die had been cast.

Luhan said goodbye to Jaehyun and Doyoung, who were still recuperating. He didn’t tell them what he was going to do, and tried to maintain a calm expression while saying goodbye.

I am going to destroy their home.

“Remember what I told you.” Luhan said. “Jessica will come to get Jaehyun and Doyoung and leave for the rehabilitation centre. If I…if I don’t…”

“Stop.” Kris shushed him. There was a heavy silence between them as Kris swallowed harshly and Luhan tried to hold back tears. Kris opened the car door.

“Get in. We’re late.”

************************

Sneaking a virus into the main computer system was easier than Luhan anticipated. It seems security was off that day and Luhan planted the bug and set it on active in just 10 minutes. Security is not their forte.

“Okay guys, let’s have a meeting. Everyone bring your tablets.” Zitao called all his fellow researchers. Luhan looked at his fellow colleagues, all of them unaware of what today would bring. His fingers were cold and shaking as he joined them.

“Today marks a very important day in our history.” Zitao started. “Years ago, today was the day we terminated the E.X.O program.”

What?

“As tradition calls for it, we will all silently tip our heads in prayers for the lives lost during the tragic riot.” Zitao’s voice was remorseful, his eyes heavy and dark with emotion. He carried that day with him wherever he went. “We may have lived on pretending it didn’t happen, or spent it hiding in our corners or covering up the disastrous event with other discoveries or works, but on this day, let us all remember the darkness.”

The darkness…

“If we do not remember our past, we are not worth a future.” Zitao said. “Never again, shall this happen.”

“Never again.” They all murmured.

Was this why…

“Today, like a phoenix…”

Holy .

“We shall rise and build anew. Today, is the day or our Uprising.”

And with that Zitao gave him a look.

The signal.

This is it.

Luhan looked at Zitao, eyes locked as he secretly pushed a button on his tab.

Then the lights went out.

And you could hear screams.

************************

WEE WOO WEE WOO WEE WOO WEE WOO

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN MAY I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN WE ARE ON EMERGENCY LOCKDOWN. ALL STAFF AND PERSONNEL PLEASE EXIT THE BUILDING IMMEDIATELY. LEAVE ALL YOUR BELONGINGS BEHIND.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN WE ARE ON EMERGENCY LOCKDOWN. ALL STAFF AND PERSONNEL PLEASE EXIT THE BUILDING AKJHJKADGAEUHFLAJSKLJ….

LADIES AND GENTLEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

MAYDAY MAYDAY

……………..

KSHFAIEUMSNLAKSJLKJZZZZZZZZZZZ

…………………..

…………………….

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN PLEASE EXIT THE BUILDING IMMEDIATELY.

THE UPRISING IS HERE.

************************

Luhan quickly learnt that if ever he had a choice to change his career, he would never go with soldier or fire fighters or rescue operations, because this chaos was just unstoppable.

Screams everywhere. Bodies bumping into each other. Frantic personnel screaming at each other and squeezing through the doors to get away. Luhan had already lost track of Zitao and in the darkness, the only thing he could feel was the floor underneath him.

“E.X.O. I have to…Sehun…”

Luhan pulled out a tiny flashlight from his lab coat. The lab was a mess, and everyone was gone. Beakers broken and dangerous chemicals spilled on the floor. Luhan quickly found the door and pushed it.

Most of the staff members have left, with security still trying to guide some of the weaker personnel who were lost and blinded in the darkness. Flashlights seem to hover in the air as Luhan sneaked around the corner, avoiding the guards and their rays of light.

Then, something wafted into his nose.

Smoke.

Like a magnet, Luhan moved closer and closer to the smell. The computer room was just in front of him, and bits of thick, heavy smoke was coming out from the door frame.

BOOM

Luhan was knocked back like a rag doll in the wind. He hit his head against the wall and smoke was engulfing him. The heat from the flames fanned against him and Luhan covered his nose and eyes with his hands.

.

He stood up and screamed “FIRE!!!! FIRE!!!!!!”, running haphazardly to attract attention.

“THE BUILDING IS ON FIRE!!!!” he heard someone scream.

I have to get them.

“.” Elevators don’t work in a fire. Luhan pushed the button frantically but nothing was responding. There was only one elevator down there with no fire escape to The Hive. S.M.E really did leave them there to die.

With a metal bar he found lying on the floor, Luhan wedged it between the doors and with every fibre of his being, he forced the doors open. The smoke was getting heavy, and the screams were loud. It wouldn’t be long before the fire came towards him. Only the elevator’s cables were present before him in the dark abyss.

With one big breath and after rubbing his hands together, Luhan lunged forward and grabbed the cables. He released his muscles bit and by bit, and like a monkey, he slowly slid down.

************************

“Kyungsoo!!” Jongin was trying to break down the doors of Kyungsoo’s cell, with Kyungsoo on the other end prying off the hinges. Using his immense force, Minseok had already released himself from his cell and was trying to rescue Baekhyun.

“Chanyeol hyung, hang on!” Sehun called. His hyung was inside his cell, coughing as the thick scent of smoke went inside his nostrils. He was weak from all the coughing and rolled onto the floor, his eyes rolling backwards. Sehun pried the door open with a crowbar and Yixing ran in to help him up.

“Come on everyone!” Jungkook had already passed out and was lying on the floor unconscious. Junmyeon had lifted Jongdae from his cell when they heard a loud crash.

“What is that?”

“Oh god, is someone here to save us?” Baekhyun gasped.

“Sehun?! Yixing?!”

“It’s Luhan!!!” Sehun dropped his crowbar and ran to the lift. The lift doors were slowly opening, revealing a sweaty, dirty Luhan with a metal bar in his hand.

“Sehun!”

“What is going on?! I thought you said…”

“There’s a fire.” Luhan pushed him aside, running inside to check on all the E.X.O. members. “We need to get out of here or we are buried inside this catacomb forever.”

“Who did this…what is…”

“It’s the Uprising.”

“The who?!”

“The Uprising.” Luhan panted. “Long story short: an underground society who is here to rescue you. Let’s go let’s go!!”

E.X.O. picked up their own fellow members and Luhan reached for Jungkook.

“Give him to me.” Sehun said, hoisting Jungkook on his back and carrying him like a child. “You know,” Sehun groaned. “You are a to me but at least you give me cookies.”

“Come on Sehun!!” Luhan pushed and they all rushed inside the elevator, where smoke as thick as fog had started to shift down. “Cover your noses!”

“How are we going to get up?” Jongin asked from behind his shirt pulled up to cover his nose. “There is no electricity.”

“I got a plan. I need cellphones.”

Sehun dumped Jungkook on the ground rather unceremoniously as he flipped the guard around and fished out his cellphone.

“I just need a power surge.” Luhan tore off the electrical panel on the elevator and using Jungkook’s phone and his own, his tore open their batteries and his nimble fingers found exposed wires.

“Hurry!!!” Junmyeon urged.

“Stay low so the smoke can’t get to you!!”

“Please let this work.” Luhan prayed. It did while I was doing my PhD.

Sparks flew from the wires and the lights in the elevator started blinking. Luhan pushed the up button and the elevator jerked before lifting up.

“Everybody get ready to jump when I say jump! One…two…”

“JUMP!!!!” 10 bodies rolled out through the elevator doors on the ground floor. The elevator hit the ceiling and crashed back underground, the way to the Hive forever sealed.

“Go go go go!!!!” Luhan pushed them forward, the smoke making it incredibly difficult to see. He had to rely on his memory of the place. East doors east doors.

“AHHHHH!!!!!!!!!” Baekhyun screamed when he saw fire coming from behind them. They ran as fast as they could, with Luhan overtaking them to take the lead.

The door the door the door the ing…

“I see light!!!!”

“Yes!” Luhan pushed the doors and almost fell forward, suddenly the sky cleared as they all tumbled forward. A van was before them as mysterious figures came for them, wrapping them up in blankets and ducking their heads as they took them in the van.

“Let’s go Luhan.” Luhan lifted his head and saw someone take his arm. Jiyoon.

“Is everyone safe?”

“Yes, all 9 boys accounted for. Let’s go, your mission is complete.”

“Where is Jisung?”

“Who?”

“Jisung, a small boy, this tall with…” Luhan’s eyes widen. “He’s still in there.”

“Luhan don’t be stupid.” Sehun grabbed his shoulders

“I have to save him Sehun.”

“Luhan don’t it’s suicide!”

“Sehun, if I don’t make it…”

“No no no no no Luhan don’t…” Sehun shook his head violently.

“Take this.” Luhan pressed something inside Sehun’s hand. “I love you.”

“Wait Luhan no!!!” Jiyoon tried to grab Luhan but his arm slipped from hers. The image of the innocent young boy remained in his head as he dashed inside the fire, with Sehun’s voice still lingering in his ears.

“Jisung!!!” Luhan screamed and coughed at the same time, navigating through the foggy hallways, trippin over debris that had fallen. The fire was engulfing the building, ceilings were falling and walls were crumbling. Any second now this place would be burnt to the ground with nothing left but it’s foundations.

Which is exactly what they wanted.

The thought of Jisung trapped inside a room with no way of escape terrified Luhan, but it also urged him to push forward. The heat was so intense Luhan could melt like ice, and suddenly he felt a push from behind and he screamed as he fell forward.

A beam had fallen behind him from the ceiling, swallowed by angry flames as Luhan struggled to stand up. There was a body underneath that beam and Luhan crawled forward.

Jisung?

He looked at the face of that body and he dropped his jaw in shock.

Professor Kim.

“Lu…” he called out weakly, his hands bloodied and face on the ground. The beam was flat on his back and had probably broken his spine.

“Professor!” Luhan rushed forward and screamed, nearly missing one of the fallen door flames. “Professor!”

“This wasn’t exactly in the plan, was it?” the professor wheezed out.

“Why?” was the only thing he could say. “You spied on me. You knew about my relationship with Sehun. How could you…”

“How could I what? Save you?” Professor Kim’s managed a weak smile. “Because you are so ing careless.”

“Professor…”

“Did you really think I didn’t know what you were up to? Did you really think I didn’t find out that my computer was hacked on multiple occasions? Did you really think I wouldn’t find out about how you sneaked Jaehyun and Doyoung out?” he tried to laugh. “You imbecile.”

“Why did you…” Luhan was almost crying. The heat was too intense and the smoke clouded his eyes. Professor Kim was dying in front of him but Luhan couldn’t barely breathe.

“I knew you were special the day I interviewed you.” Professor Kim wheezed out. “I trusted you with your own research because I knew you were smart. You could do anything you set your mind to.”

“Are you…” Luhan coughed.

“I’m not the Uprising. I’m not your boss. I’m not on the good side and I’m not on the bad side.” Professor Kim said weakly. “I’m on your side.”

“Professor…” Luhan was crying now, holding onto the Professor’s hand. “I’ll get you out of here.”

“The world doesn’t need soldiers to protect it, it needs people who care. People like you, so run you stupid fool.”

“Professor I can’t…”

“I said run. That’s an order.” Professor Kim pushed Luhan down with one weak hand. “My…last…order…”

Luhan ran. He picked up his feet and he ran. Tears ran down his eyes and smoke filled his lungs. He felt his throat closing and his legs fall to the ground.

His eyes closed shut, and it was like hell was upon him.

 

a/n: i swear to you this chapter was the whole reason i even wrote this story to begin with. I hope you guys liked it and let me know what you think!! Also I just couldn't bear to make Taehyung the bad guy, I just couldn't...