Day 50 to Uprising

Uprising

                It has been 10 full days since Luhan started working with S.M.E. Truth be told he wasn’t really expecting much now compared to the high expectations he had when he first entered. When he arrived at work, Zitao told him Professor Kim wanted to see him, and naturally the first thought he had was oh god what did I do now?

                “Come in Luhan,” Professor Kim called when Luhan knocked on the door. Please don’t tell me I’m in trouble. Please don’t tell me he knew I hacked into his PC.

                “Zitao told me of your brave move to save Mark from shock.” The professor smiled warmly (more than usual at least) at him. “I’m very impressed.”

                “Oh…” Luhan stammered a little, feeling shy all of a sudden. “Thank you sir.”

                “As a matter of fact, Zitao seems to be very fond of you.” Professor Kim mentioned. “He’s been singing praises about you for a while now, and told me that your performance in the lab has been more than satisfactory.”

                “Well…” Luhan blushed. “I’m just happy to be of service.”

                “I thought about your plea to acces.O’s files.” Luhan could feel his heart skip seven beats. “At first I wasn’t sure if you were up to it, but it seems I may be wrong.”

                “So…what does this mean?”

                “I’ll grant you access and permission to research them,” Professor Kim raised his finger to stop Luhan from saying anything, just as the boy opened his mouth “However, you must sign a non-disclosure agreement and keep your work confidential. Only Zitao and I have rights to access them.”

                “That’s fine, anything!” a huge sigh of relief washed over Luhan. He could feel a huge burden of his shoulders. He need not feel guilty about E.X.O anymore (not that he ever did in the first place). He also doesn’t need to know that I hacked his PC.

                More importantly, Luhan felt like he was trusted. This was a form of recognition for his hard work, and he felt honoured and excited.

                “I’ll send the papers over to you in a while, my lawyer is still drawing them up. If you have any objections there is still time to work it out.”

                “Thank you sir.” Luhan smiled, shaking his professor’s hand. When he returned to the lab, he was so happy and elated he practically skipped his inside. Ricky and the rest of his crew probably thought he was off his rocker but Zitao knew what happened. He gave Luhan a thumbs up from across the room and Luhan gave one back.

                He really did have to thank Zitao for this.

**************************

                After signing the papers and given an all-access card to the Hive (so that he could go in and out freely), Luhan made his way down for his second visit. Jungkook the guard was there waiting, and this time he had a small smirk plastered on his face.

                “So the newbie got access to the darkest secret S.M.E could afford to keep eh?”

                “That’s because I’m good.”

                “Let me ask you, who did you have to sleep with in order to gain access?”

                Luhan glared at Jungkook, deeply offended at his rude remark. He was about to snap back when he heard a voice saying “Probably someone who smells better than you.” He turned to see Sehun sticking his hands out of the door flap, flashing a peace sign and smiling innocently.

                “ you Sehun.”

                “First you have to get in my cell. Still can’t do it?” Sehun taunted. “You should apologize to Luhan.”

                “I’m sorry Luhan.” Jungkook tipped his head in apology. Luhan rolled his eyes.

                “Just make sure it doesn’t happen again.”

                Jungkook nodded and bowed slightly, before turning and leaving him behind. Luhan tapped the clipboard he has in his hands and looked at the nine rooms, trying to decide where to go. He figured that the first part of his official research, aside from reading files (which he has done a long time ago), would be to interview and understand the boys on a much deeper level before conducting tests on them. Professor Kim told him that he would set up a special station in another laboratory specifically for Luhan, and that it had to be done in secret.

                “How did you get down here?” Sehun asked. His voice awoke the other members, who were now looking out their door’s small window.

                “We have guests?” Baekhyun peeked through.

                “I didn’t think we were allowed to have guests.” Jongin said.

                “Hey, aren’t you the new guy who came to deliver us lunch the last time?” Yixing asked.

                “Hi guys,” Luhan waved. “My name is Luhan, I’m the new research scientist.”

                “You want to do research on us?” Jongdae asked.

                “Yes.”

                “Oh,” he scoffed. “And I thought you were something special.” Jongdae turned away and into his cell.

                “Come on guys, we have to be nice to him.” Joonmyun said and the other members seemed to nod their head in agreement. It seemed that Joonmyun, despite being locked up, is still very much revered to be the leader of their group. Luhan looked around and counted only 8 faces. Kyungsoo still did not make his appearance.

                “Is Kyungsoo okay? I don’t see him.”

                “Why don’t you go in and check?” Joonmyun suggested. Luhan took his all-access card and swiped it at the card lock. A beeping sound came through and Luhan held on the handle. It then dawned onto him that he was about to step into a cell. A cell for S.M.E.’s most dangerous secret.

                The adrenaline flowed through his veins as he pushed the door open and stepped in. The cell was not much at all, just a simple bed, toilet and a desk inside. Kyungsoo was lying on the bed, his back facing towards the door.

                “Kyungsoo?” Luhan called. No answer.

                “Kyungsoo?” he called again, stepping closer to the figure, blanket up to his forearms. He gently pulled Kyungsoo’s body towards him, and saw that he was asleep, his eyes were closed and lips pale. Beads of sweat formed just under the line of his hair and Luhan turned to see his lunch and dinner tray still on the table. The food was untouched.

                “Kyungsoo? Kyungsoo?” the boy’s skin was warm and clammy to touch, and his breath was shallow. Luhan’s fingers found his pulse and quickly took it. The back of his other hand went straight to his forehead. Kyungsoo was running a fever, no wonder he couldn’t eat.

                Kyungsoo whined and groaned, body squirming uncomfortably. “Don’t worry Kyungsoo I’ll get a doctor for you.” Luhan whispered, patting him gently and exiting the cell.

                “What happened to him?” Minseok asked.

                “He’s running a fever. I need to get a doctor.” Luhan said as he ran up to the security guard’s office just next to the elevator and burst in. “Jungkook! I need a doctor down here! Kyungsoo is running a fever.”

                “He is? God damn it!” Jungkook picked up his phone and dialled for the medical unit. Luhan’s eyes glanced over at the security guard files he left on the table as he made the call. Luhan flipped it open and tried to speed read it.

                “Hey hey hey, none of your business.” Jungkook took them back. “A doctor will be down here any minute.”

                “How could this happen?” Luhan asked. “Isn’t there some kind of check-up team here? He has been running a terrible fever for at least 5 days and no one said anything? You didn’t realize anything was off?”

                “He didn’t say anything. If he was sick he should have said something.”

                “There should be some kind of care or service down here.”

                “That’s where you’re wrong,” Jungkook shook his head. “Why do you think S.M.E. even put them down here? Why do you think they are made to live in isolation, captivity?”

                Luhan pursed his lips, not knowing what to say, or rather he refused to say what was on his mind.

                They were left here to die.

                The doctor arrived and Luhan took her to Kyungsoo’s room. Luckily Kyungsoo was at the tail end of his fever, so the doctor put him on drips and injected some more antibiotics. “I’ll write him a prescription for some medication, but other than that he should be fine.”

                “I’ll come get the medication myself in a couple of hours.” He eyed Jungkook, who was just leaning by the wall watching them. He decided not to trust anybody else with Kyungsoo.

                “Is Kyungsoo okay? Is he going to die?” Jongin asked, his face pressing against the window.

                “No, he’ll be okay. He’s just sick.”

                “Can I see him?”

                “Absolutely not. No one is allowed out of this cell unless I say so.” Jungkook refuted.

                Luhan swiped his card and Jongin’s door opened.

                “What the do you…” Luhan slammed Jungkook into the wall as Jongin dashed into the next room.

                “This is my project.” Luhan growled as he held Jungkook’s collar. “I’m in charge now, and I will do as I please so stay the out of this. If you’re not happy, go see Professor Kim.”

                “Fine.” Jungkook wriggled free from his hold. He shot Luhan and everyone else a look as he stepped back. Luhan closed Jongin’s door and watched the two of them inside Kyungsoo’s cell through the window.

                Jongin was holding Kyungsoo’s hand, fingers intertwining. He was sitting there silently, watching the sleeping boy as if that was what he put on earth for. There was so much affection in his eyes, the way he held his hand and the way he breathed, as if he was matching his breath with Kyungsoo’s.

                This was the most emotion Luhan had felt from anybody in S.M.E..

                “Are you surprised?”

                “Huh?” Luhan turned to see who was talking to him.

                “Are you surprised by Jongin’s reaction?” Sehun asked.

                “No, not really.”

                “You look shocked though.”

                “I didn’t expect Kyungsoo to be so sick that’s all.” Luhan rubbed his arms.

                “Don’t be surprised. We’re all left down here to rot because we’re the only humans left in S.M.E..” he laughed sadly. “Most days we’re lucky to open our eyes and see something, though it isn’t really living when you spend your days in a cell like this.”

                “They are scared of you guys.” Luhan said.

                “I know.”

                Luhan let Jongin stay with Kyungsoo for another 10 minutes before he moved him back to his cell. Before he could close the door, Jongin shook Luhan’s hand warmly.

                “Thank you for saving him.”

                “I didn’t do anything,” Luhan sighed. “We’re lucky he was getting better.”

                “You cared.” Jongin said. “You cared when no one else did.”

 

A/N: In case you haven't noticed I also ship Kaisoo XD