Day 29 to Uprising

Uprising

                As the clock struck midnight, indicating a new day has begun, Luhan snapped his head up to look at the clock, whose hands stayed at the 12 mark, and the second hand started ticking away.

                Just 24 hours ago, he was in his bed, asleep and unaware of the worries of the world. Now, he has been kidnapped by an underground rebellion group who wants his help to blow up the company he is working for.

                “Wh…what?” was all Luhan could say.

                “I said,” Jessica her lips, the saliva from painting her lips pink. “We want to blow up S.M.E.”

                “What? How? Why?”

                “S.M.E is a prime example of the most notorious and evil government run operation, but more importantly, it is also the most famous.” Jessica explained. “Everybody knows about the existence of S.M.E. If we blow up the company, we would not only be tearing and destroying their research facilities and any secret information they might obtain, we would also be showing to the rest of the world that we will not back down unless all mindless activities stop.”

                “It’s like assassinating the President of the United States.” Zitao said. “It’s time for the world to face the Uprising.”

                “This is insane.” Luhan gaped. “You…you can’t be serious. Arson? Lives will be lost in such an attempt! You could kill those who are innocent!”

                “Our plan, is to evacuate everyone from the building and ensure no one is at risk. We are not murderers.” Jessica stood up, her heels knocking against the floor. “We want to destroy the company, not commit mass murder. Plus, it would help if we had witnesses too.” She had a coy smile on her lips, and Luhan could tell she has been planning this for a very long time. Her hatred for S.M.E runs deeper than we can all imagine.

                “I want it to be a spectacle.” She said. “I want everyone to see their lives falling apart in front of them. I want those ruthless, back-stabbing, misogynistic fools to see their hard-earned institution burned to a crisp. I want them to know how it feels like to have lost something, like a mother losing her baby when he or she was taken to be genetically enhanced. When you friend undergoes Triple X and loses all emotions. When your lover loses his life in a genetic surgery.”

                Jessica placed both hands on the table, the curls of her beautiful hair framing her face as she gritted her teeth. “I want them to suffer the way we did. And I want the world to watch. The Uprising has just begun, and we will not stop until justice is served.”

                Luhan was completely speechless. Zitao rubbed his arm, giving him a soft look for comfort but all Luhan could think about was oh god what have I gotten myself into.

                “Then why am I here?”

                “We need your help to hack into the company’s network and plant a bug in it.” Jessica handed him a thin file, inside containing a detailed description of the plan and S.M.E’s complicated network map. “Zitao told us you were a good hacker.”

                “How did you…” he turned to Zitao.

                “I was watching you.” Zitao smiled. “I had my eyes on you the day you started working for me. I knew you were someone special.”

                “We need you to hack into the main computer and plant this bug in it.” Jessica pointed to a small round object pictured in the file. “It activates by email. When the main network computer picks up a particular email with a certain code in it, the bug will be activated and the shuts down the main computer and rewrites the hard drive.”

                “Causing all other computers in the company to do the same.” Luhan said.

                “Exactly. Once the internet is down, the people inside would be frantic. They would start looking at the main power source, hoping for a reboot. That’s when we trigger the first fire alarm.”

                “The fire would spread all over the place sequentially. We would start with headquarters first, and then to the research labs and practice studios and so forth.” Zitao added on.

                “But…but…”

                “There is another thing.” Jessica stopped Luhan. “We also want you to ensure E.X.O escapes the area unharmed. This mission is to burn down S.M.E and rescue all survivors, including E.X.O.”

                “What are you going to do with them?”

                “We have a secret rehabilitation facility on the outskirts of the city. If E.X.O escapes and the people at S.M.E found them, they would still remain in captivity.”

                “The police would find them right?” Luhan said. “Then they could just tell them what happened and they could nab S.M.E. It’s a crime to be held captive against their will.”

                “You don’t know S.M.E.” Jessica shook her head. “They have eyes and ears everywhere. Their influence is more than just in the realm of the entertainment industry. They have political connections, very strong ones as a matter of fact.”

                “Oh god.” Luhan buried his face in his hands.

                “Luhan,” Zitao said. “I understand if this is all too much for you. We…”

                “Damn right this is too much for me!” Luhan finally snapped. “I was kidnapped by an underground society who wants my help to blow up my boss. Are you ing kidding me?! This is like a movie! What about Professor Kim? My colleagues? The kids at the company? Little Jisung and Chenle and Renjun…what about…”

                “We can ensure you,” Jessica raised her hand as if she was giving a pledge. “That no one will be harmed.”

                “How can you be so sure? This is arson we are talking about! And what if we get caught? We are talking life imprisonment, or maybe even…”

                “We will not get caught, this plan is fool-proof. We will brief you all once again before the day of the Uprising and as long as you do your job, no one will suspect you.”

                “And just when do you plan to commit this crazy act?”

                “29 days from now.”

                “This is insane.” Luhan ran a hand through his hair, he wanted to slap his face several times. “I can’t just…I…”

                “We’re not expecting an answer from you so immediately.” Jessica said. “I can understand your apprehension. We’ve fed you a lot of information that you need time to process. Why don’t you go home, sleep on it and give yourself a few days to mull it over?”

                “Yes. Home…, Kris.” Kris must be screaming at the top of his lungs by now. He checked his phone and found that his guardian had called almost 35 times. I am screwed now.

                “Zitao why don’t you take Luhan home? Make sure he gets in safe.”

                “Will do madam.” Zitao nodded, helping Luhan from his seat. This time Jiyoon had stepped in, carrying two pizza boxes.

                “I bought supper.”

                “Thanks Jiyoon.” Zitao took a box on his way out, one hand holding onto Luhan’s arm. “We’ll take it from here.

**********************************

                As expected Kris was livid when Luhan finally arrived home. He had dark circles around his eyes and his pajamas were a mess. He was about to scream at Luhan when he saw a complete stranger, arm around his son and carrying a pizza box.

                “Who are you?”

                10 minutes later Zitao was sitting down with Kris in the living room, talking and explaining all that happened a few hours ago. Luhan was sitting by the kitchen counter, one hand one a cup of tea and the other scarfing down as much pizza as humanely possible in 2 minutes. His stomach ached in hunger but he was so overwhelmed by the whole kidnapping incident he had forgotten how hungry he was.

                Luhan watched Kris stare intently at Zitao, head nodding and or shaking as Zitao explained what happened. He looked like he was in The Office. His eyes met Luhan’s before darting back to Zitao. He must be glad that Luhan was still okay.

                Luhan’s eyes were red and his head ached. He felt nothing but pain and his whole body was about to cave into exhaustion. He found some small amounts of energy to drag himself to his room, where he just plopped down on his bed like a dead zombie. He rolled over, still dressed in his work clothes and he felt his eyelids close shut.

                A small part of him prayed that when he wakes up, all of this would be over.

******************************

                When he woke up that afternoon, he was thankful that it was a weekend and he was not required to work. His headache was gone and his body felt better. The afternoon sunlight penetrated his room, nearly scorching his back. A knock came on the door and when he saw that it was Kris, he smiled instantly.

                “Kris…” he croaked out.

                “Luhan,” Kris sat down next to him, carrying a glass of water and some pills. “I bought some painkillers. Do you need them?”

                “No thanks.” He took the water instead, gulping them down. Kris looked like he didn’t sleep at all, and Luhan felt guilty. “Kris I’m so sorry about last night.”

                “No no, it’s alright. Zitao explained everything.” Kris took Luhan’s hand, patting it gently. Luhan’s sleep wrinkles were evident, and it seemed like he aged 10 years over 12 hours. “It’s uhm….”

                “It’s what?”

                “It’s quite something.” Kris sighed. “I heard about the Uprising from a few ex-colleagues of mine but I didn’t think they actually existed until today.”

                “You knew about them?”

                “It was just a rumour at the time. My ex-colleague said he was offered to join an underground rebellion after he lost his job. Nobody took it seriously of course. We figured he was just bluffing to save himself the embarrassment of being fired from his old job.” Kris chuckled weakly. “I can’t believe those rumours were true.”

                “Is Zitao still here?”

                “No, he left a couple of hours after you went into your room to get some rest, but he said he would be back later to check on you. He wanted to make sure you were okay.”

                “Of course he does.” Luhan scoffed. Out of the corner of his eye, he found that black file he had taken with him from last night. A yellow post it note was stuck at the corner.

                For you

                “Zitao told me their plans, and what they wanted to do with you.” Kris said.

                “They did?”

                “Yes.” Kris nodded. “You know you don’t have to do this if you don’t want to. Nobody is forcing you.”

                “It’s not that I don’t. I’m not saying I don’t want to help. I mean I hate S.M.E too but…” Luhan sighed. “Does this have to be the only way?”

                “Sometimes you have to burn in order to heal.”

                “I hope you don’t mean literally.”

                “It depends.” Kris laughed, patting his son’s face. “Just take your time with this decision. It’s a lot to process.”

                “They want to blow up S.M.E in 29 days.”

                “Well they can’t do it without you can they?” Kris patted his hand. “Would you like something to eat?”

                “After that can I come back to my bed?”

                “Of course. I can understand your apprehension. Even if you hate that place they are still people you care about. There’s Professor Kim, that kid Jisung that you mentioned…”

                “And Sehun.”

                “Who?” Kris perked up. That was the first time he had heard that name.

                “He’s…uh…” Luhan’s tongue caught in his throat. “He’s a friend.” He half-lied. Well they are friends. In some form.

                “Does this friend have anything to do with you coming back home so late these past few weeks?”

                “Well I….”

                “You can tell me the truth Luhan. You know I will always be there for you.”

                “It’s not that,” Luhan sighed. “I just…don’t know how to tell you yet. I will, but just not now.”

                “Okay,” Kris raised his hands in defeat, rising from the bed. “I’ll make you something to eat.” He said as he walked out of the room.

                Luhan fell back on his bed, covers pulled up to his chin. Sehun. E.X.O. If he helped Jessica, he could save them. E.X.O would be free. No longer in captivity. He and Sehun could be together.

                He tried to imagine a place where E.X.O could be free. If they went to the rehabilitation centre, they could be cured. They would be free of pain and their bodies restored to their original condition. Sehun would be just like him, and they could be together.

                For the first time, a fiery pit of emotion burned in the bottom of Luhan’s heart, like a tiny flame that found oxygen, on the verge of an explosion.

                It was like an Uprising.

 

A/N: The next few chapters will be quite heavy as we edge towards the . I have my finals tomorrow so I need to focus but I couldn't resist updating! Hope you guys like it!

Also, voting is open for Best Ongoing Fic! Head on over to this link and vote!

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/1178603/2/2016-exo-fan-fiction-awards-exo-awards