Chapter 8

Unexpected Love?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhyun's P.O.V

Not a single day passes Baekhyun by without him missing his family and his home. He can lie awake for hours during the night and think about how homesick he is and how he misses his own bed so much. He misses his phone too, because without it he can't contact his family. And if he can't contact his family, then he can't tell if they're alright or not.

Like Baekhyun said, there isn't a single day that passes him by without him missing his family. After he has been in the mansion for a week with the cold Chanyeol and the kind employees, he's starting to wonder if his life is really worth this. Chanyeol is acting so cold towards him, even though Baekhyun tries so hard to make him happy and tries to please him.

 

“No, no, no. That's not how you do it. Let me show you again. Concentrate on the task Baekhyun.”
“S-Sorry, I will try harder.”

 

Baekhyun can't help it, he has begun to space out during his lessons with the teachers who come all the way to the mansion to teach him how to be a noble young man. Even though he isn't even near noble.

 

“Better?”
“A little, but you need to be more elegant. Put your feelings into the ceremony, okay?”
“W-What kind of feelings?”
“Happiness, kindness, love maybe? Anything that makes you happy I guess. Positive feelings.”
“Oh... I-I will try...”

 

Baekhyun tries again and again, but nothing seems to change according to him. His teacher begins to wonder if she wastes her time or not as Baekhyun apologizes over and over again to her. After a couple of hours of pure practicing of things like tea ceremonies to eating dinners with seven dishes, Baekhyun is finally finished for the day.

 

“Thank you for coming today as well. How was he doing?”
“Mr. Kim, can I have a word with you? It's about something else.”
“Of course, Baekhyun can you go ahead and leave without me?”
“Yes, I can. Thank you so much for today.”

 

Baekhyun bows deeply to his teacher before he leaves the room, but he doesn't need to take many steps before he hears his teacher's tired voice talking to Chen who is here to fetch Baekhyun. Baekhyun stops when he hears his teacher mention his name as he listens to their conversation.

 

“How long does Mr. Park plan on having this dog to marry him? I'm sorry, but I don't want to teach him anymore. He has lost his concentration over and over again and I can't handle his none-spirit.”
“You have to give him some time to get used to this life, he's not used to it at all. Also... I think he's homesick.”
“Then send him back home already-”
“Mrs. Lee, I think I will talk to Mr. Park about your behavior towards Baekhyun. I'm afraid that you're being way too rude and if this continues for much longer, I will have to get someone else to take over your job.”
“B-But I have always been the one who teach the Park family about-”
“I know that, but if you don't stop this behavior towards him, things will get bad for you. He needs your support and I mean it. So please bear a little longer with him, even if he's a werewolf.”

 

Baekhyun hurries to walk away when he thinks the conversation is going to end. He doesn't want to get caught eavesdropping. Baekhyun hurries to find his room as he hides inside and sighs silently. Why is he this homesick? Is it because he can't talk to his own family? Maybe... He should ask Lay to send them one letter. Just one...

No! Lay will get into trouble if anyone finds out about it! Even Chen and Xiumin will get mad at him and Baekhyun doesn't want Lay to get fired because he helped him! Maybe if he talks to Chanyeol about it...? No, Chanyeol won't give him his phone...

 

“I give them one more week... If I haven't gotten my phone back by then... Then I will have to talk to them...”

 

Baekhyun nods for himself, this is what he needs to do. He needs to have patient. If he shows them that he's doing well during his lessons and is working hard and is being happy, then he might get his phone back. Just a little longer and then he might get it back.

 

***

 

“So, uhm, I'm just wondering... How do you think I'm doing?”

 

Baekhyun asks his teacher carefully as he puts down a history book that he has been reading for a while. It's the history about the wars and what the vampires thought about it. It's actually quite interesting to him, but he's not sure what his teacher thinks about his efforts this far.

 

“This far, you have showed interest in nearly everything I have showed you. I admit that in the beginning I didn't think you liked history, but you have worked really hard lately.”
“Thank you for saying that, but it's all thanks to you who is a very good teacher.”
“Baekhyun, I need to talk to you.”

 

Chen comes into the room and almost cuts Baekhyun off in his conversation with his teacher. Baekhyun nods as he excuses himself from his teacher who says that they can stop for today. Baekhyun follows Chen fast as they end up in another corner in the library where Baekhyun has mostly of his classes.

 

“What's wrong?”
“I have talked to some of your teachers and they're very satisfied with your effort this far. They said that for a while you seemed to have no energy while you were practicing, but now you're much better. I'm here to tell you that you will now only have practical classes, which is practicing a sport, piano lessons and you still will need to meet Mrs. Lee for more behavior training. But else I must say that I'm proud of you.”
“R-Really? You're not lying, right?”
“No, I'm not lying. Now, you should go and rest and wait for the dinner to be served.”
“U-Uhm Chen...? C-Can I... ask you something?”
“Of course you can. What is it?”

 

Baekhyun hesitates a little before he leans closer to Chen to tell him something. Just as Baekhyun leans forward, they both hear footsteps behind Baekhyun that come closer and before Baekhyun can stand up straight, they both hear how someone clears his throat behind Baekhyun's back.

 

“What are you two doing?”

 

The cold and sharp voice makes Baekhyun's whole body shiver as he slowly and nervously turns around to face Chanyeol. Chanyeol stares with cold and annoyed eyes at Baekhyun who sighs. That didn't look so well, didn't it?

 

“It's not what you think master Chanyeol, Baekhyun just didn't want to disturb his teacher, so he leaned closer to talk to me.”
“Yeah, and we're in a library. I'm used to whisper in libraries.”
“Like I care, Chen get out.”
“As you wish master Chanyeol.”
“B-But Chen, I still-”
“Let's talk about your lessons later, okay?”
“O-Okay.”

 

Baekhyun feels how a weird feeling washes over him as Chanyeol grabs Baekhyun's wrist roughly and painfully. Baekhyun accidentally whimpers in pain as Chanyeol just sighs and pulls him with him. What's with the sudden touch?! Is he angry now again?!

Chanyeol pulls Baekhyun with him all the way up to his office before he finally lets go off Baekhyun's wrist. Baekhyun massages the sore wrist that Chanyeol didn't even try to grab gently. He just grabbed it and tightened his grip the closer they came to his office.

 

“You... What the hell were you and Chen doing for real?”
“We said the truth! Or almost...”
“Why do you dare to lie to me?!”

 

Baekhyun feels the fear grab him as he automatically takes a step back from Chanyeol who is fast to grab Baekhyun's wrist once again and pulls him back to him.

 

“A-Ah! Y-Yah-!”
“Shut up! You have to answer me: what the hell were you and Chen doing?!”
“Okay! I will tell you! But please, let go of my wrist!”

 

Chanyeol hesitates before he lets go of Baekhyun's wrist and takes a step back from Baekhyun. Baekhyun massages the sore wrist even more as he tries to not whine in pain.

 

“I... I know that either you, Chen or Xiumin have my phone... I-I wanted to ask him for how much longer I will be without it... I-I didn't want you to find out...”
“So you're literally saying that you tried to go behind my back?”
“I-It wasn't supposed to end like this... I-I just-”
“You're supposed to be my fiance within a couple of weeks! You're supposed to do everything I say and be on my side! What makes you think it's okay to go behind my back and try to cheat on me with Chen?!”
“I-It wasn't like that! I don't like him like that! C-Chanyeol, you're just being cruel-”
“Shut up! I'm not being cruel! I'm your damn fiance-”
“You're not my fiance! Not yet!”
“Why are you doing this to me?! Why are you going behind my back?!”
“C-Chanyeol! I-It hurts!”

 

Once again Chanyeol grabs Baekhyun's wrist as he pulls Baekhyun closer to him, but as fast Baekhyun cries in pain, he lets go of it again. Chanyeol stares almost worried at Baekhyun who hides his sore wrist with his free hand. Baekhyun backs away from Chanyeol as he holds in the tears that tries to sneak out of his eyes.

 

“I'm trying so hard for you... W-Why are you...? Mr. Park... I'm sorry... Excuse me-”
“Where do you think you're going? This conversation isn't-”
“Please... I... I need some fresh air...”
“Baekhyun, wait!”

 

Chanyeol pushes the door closed with his hand as he stands right behind Baekhyun who doesn't dare to move. Baekhyun feels the warmth from Chanyeol's body as the confusion takes over him. Isn't Chanyeol supposed to be pretty cold? Baekhyun notices how Chanyeol doesn't move as he just sighs behind Baekhyun's back.

 

“I-I'm sorry...”
“W-What...?”
“I said I'm sorry... Don't make me repeat what I say all the time...”

 

Baekhyun suddenly feels how Chanyeol's warm hands rest against his shoulders, but he doesn't try to turn Baekhyun around. Baekhyun feels how his heart begins to beat weirdly while Chanyeol slowly walks closer to him.

 

“I'm sorry... for... being like this... I...”
“Is it... the blood?”
“No... I'm afraid that today... its' not the blood...”
“T-Then... w-what is it?”
“I... I can't tell you. Not yet. But... please, excuse me... Just for this time, can you... pretend this didn't happen?”

 

Baekhyun feels how Chanyeol squeezes Baekhyun's shoulders like everything he says is a pain to him. Baekhyun feels how his feelings begins to get confused: what is he supposed to say? If he would be smart, he should ask Chanyeol to give him the phone in exchange, but Baekhyun isn't that kind of person.

 

“Okay... I will forgive you... Just let me go out for a while... I-I can really need some fresh air...”
“Don't take too long... Also... don't go into the forest.”
“Yes sir Chanyeol...”

 

Baekhyun feels how Chanyeol lets go of his shoulders slowly, which means that he's allowed to leave the room. Baekhyun hurries to sneak out of the room as he walks fast towards the hallway. On his way he meets Chen who stares confused at Baekhyun who rushes passed him and down to the hallway.

 

“U-Uhm, B-Baekhyun?! Where are you going?!”
“Out.”
“Wait, what?!”

 

Baekhyun gets his shoes and jacket on before he hurries out of the mansion. Chen stares dumbly after him as Baekhyun just keeps walking. The cold air surrounds Baekhyun who closes his eyes and breathes in the fresh air. He really needs to calm himself down. He needs the nature to calm him down.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter