Chapter 15

Unexpected Love?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Baekhyun's P.O.V

The giant ball room is filled with music and people are walking around while mingling and talking. Chanyeol makes sure to hold out his left arm to Baekhyun who hooks his arm with Chanyeol's. Then they walk around among the people and stop to talk with them from time to time. They mostly stop by people who Chanyeol either knows or has had business with, though even strangers has walked up to them to exchange a word or two. Well everyone is a stranger to Baekhyun, so he doesn't mind who come to them as long they're not rude.

 

“Mr Park, long time no seen! How are you doing?”
“Oh my, what a lovely young man you brought!”
“This must be your fiance!”
“It's an honor to finally meet your special one.”

 

People all around say the same, but Baekhyun is pretty sure that they all think he's disgusting since he's a werewolf. And yes, Chanyeol only speaks with vampires or humans since werewolves and vampires have been enemies up until now. The chatting went on for probably an hour, which made Baekhyun really tired since he mostly stands and smile like a fool the whole conversations.

 

“What's your name sweetheart?”
“How rude of me, I'm Byun Baekhyun. It's nice to meet you my lady.”
“Oh my, he truly knows how to address people.”
“From which family do you come from now again?”
“Let's not talk too much about families. Instead, tell me where you beautiful ladies got your beautiful dresses from.”

 

Chanyeol is fast to change topic as fast it sounds like it will get them into a bad spot. Baekhyun only follows Chanyeol's commands and doesn't say too much during the most conversations. Well, he doesn't have that much to say anyway.

After a long mingling time, everyone finally gather for the dinner. The small round tables quickly gets filled with the guests and the food is served along with a refreshing drink that is either wine or champagne. Everyone laugh and talk and have fun, which Baekhyun finds funny since he has noticed how people are trying to insult each other from time to time.

Chanyeol keeps an eye on Baekhyun during the whole dinner. But since he never says anything or shows Baekhyun any signs that he's doing something wrong, Baekhyun just assumes that he is doing a good job. But of course he hasn't let down his guard, he's still thinking very carefully about how he eats, sits, talks and drinks. After all, according to nobles, statues and behavior is really important. Everything is about statues and behavior and like Chanyeol said: the more statues you have, the more power you have.

The dinner takes a while and everyone keep chattering and mingling at the table for over an hour. Baekhyun literally struggles with sitting straight at the same time as he tries to remember everything he has learned this far. He knows that everyone around him is watching him since they know he's not a noble. One mistake and he's screwed.

After an hour of pure struggling, Baekhyun and Chanyeol finally can leave the dinner table to mingle among the people again or to visit the bathroom if they wish to. Soon it's time for the dancing part and Baekhyun knows very well that he will have to dance, even if he doesn't want to. Nothing he says will be a good excuse for him, Chanyeol said it himself: they have to dance.

Chanyeol gently helps Baekhyun up of his chair before they excuse themselves from the dinner table. They hurry to walk away from the people as Chanyeol glances down at the tired Baekhyun. Yes, he's already tired. He wants to go home so badly, but they can't leave until later, around midnight.

 

“You look tired.”
“I am tired...”
“Try to not look too tired, it's only 10 pm.”
“It's two hours left before we can leave, isn't it?”
“Yes and we might have to stay some minutes longer depending on how many people who stops us on the way out of here.”

 

Baekhyun holds in a sigh as Chanyeol tries to smile an encouraging smile at him. Omo... Is he actually trying to make Baekhyun feel better? Who is this man and where is the real Park Chanyeol? Baekhyun tries to not show his shocked face as he hurries to clear his throat.

 

“Well, let's try to enjoy the last hours here. Uhm Chanyeol... Can I visit the bathroom for only some few minutes?”
“Sure, let me you to it.”

 

Baekhyun smiles at Chanyeol as an answer before they start walking. Chanyeol leads Baekhyun over to the bathroom before Baekhyun lets go of Chanyeol's arm that he held since they left the dinner table.

 

“I won't take too long, okay?”
“I will wait right here for you, so you won't get lost.”
“Thank you.”

 

Baekhyun smiles before he hurries into the bathroom. He can literally feel his hands tremble as fast he enters the bathroom. Chanyeol is finally out of his sight and everyone else is also out of sight. Baekhyun doesn't have the power to hide his nervousness anymore, he just wants to take a break from forcing himself to pretend to have fun.

 

“Are you okay?”

 

Baekhyun suddenly hears a voice behind his back as he hurries to turn around a little nervously. In front of him stands a young man, he has pitch black hair and a little tan skin. He looks really handsome, almost a little like a playboy if you ask Baekhyun. Baekhyun hurries to smile as he hides his hands behind his back.

 

“I'm fine. Thank you for your concern.”
“You didn't look that okay for a second ago.”

 

The young man smiles as he walks past Baekhyun and over to the taps and mirrors. Baekhyun carefully glances over at the young man who starts to fix his hair before he finally turns back to Baekhyun with a kind smile on his lips.

 

“Sorry, I must be really rude since I never introduced myself. I'm Kim Jongin, but my friends call me Kai.”
“O-Oh, it's nice to meet you Jongin. I'm Byun Baekhyun.”

 

Baekhyun bows slightly as Kai chuckles amused, but he doesn't try to make Baekhyun feel stupid. Instead he bows back and then looks less formal.

 

“Well, you must be... Chanyeol's date if I don't recall wrong.”
“Mm... He's my fiance.”
“Omo... You're engaged already? Congratulations!”
“T-Thank you.”
“Well, Baekhyun, I won't disturb you for much longer. But it was nice to meet you. Have a nice continuing evening. I don't want to be rude, but I have my own date that is waiting for me.”
“O-Oh, it's alright! Thank you for the chat and have a pleasant evening!”

 

Kai smiles before he leaves the room in silence. Baekhyun breathes out as fast Kai leaves the room before he walks over to the mirrors and the taps. He stares at himself through the mirror as he tries to pull himself together. Just two more hours and he can go home. Just two more hours Baekhyun, you can do it...

 

***

 

“You took your time.”
“S-Sorry, I got caught in a conversation.”
“With Kim Jongin?”
“Yes, he just wanted to greet me.”
“I see... Anyway, let's get moving. It's time for some dancing.”
“A-Already?”
“Well, yes since it's getting late. May I you to the dance floor, sir?”
“Y-You may me Mr Park.”

 

Baekhyun tries to get back to his formal self as Chanyeol smiles. Baekhyun gently grabs Chanyeol's arm as Chanyeol escorts him towards the dance floor. Baekhyun thinks he has managed to calm himself down in the bathroom, but the nervousness has begin to come back to him again. He really doesn't think he should dance after all.

 

“Are you ready for some dancing?”
“I-I'm not sure...”
“Don't worry, just pretend it's just the two of us.”
“B-But there are so many people staring-”
“Baekhyun... Come here, let's dance and enjoy it.”

 

Baekhyun stares up at Chanyeol who hurries to walk over to the dance floor. There are already some people lined up and is getting ready to dance. Chanyeol finds a good spot for them before he turns to Baekhyun with a charming smile on his lips. Baekhyun glances around nervously as he tries to not tremble, but there are so many people staring at them.

 

“Baekhyun, my eyes are here.”

 

Chanyeol gently grabs Baekhyun's left hand and then pulls Baekhyun's closer to him by putting his left hand on Baekhyun's waist. Baekhyun stares up at Chanyeol who smiles and gestures him to put his right hand on his shoulder. Baekhyun slowly and gently puts his hand on Chanyeol's shoulders as he tries to keep his eyes at Chanyeol's face.

 

“It's just you and me, okay? It's just like yesterday. We're just practicing and there is nothing to be nervous about. Keep your eyes on me and nowhere else, okay? Pay all your attention to me, just like yesterday. Okay?”

 

Baekhyun nods as he struggles to not look anywhere else, but Chanyeol's charming smile catches Baekhyun's eyes as the music finally starts playing. Slowly and carefully, Chanyeol leads the way as Baekhyun tries to only think about the music and where Chanyeol is leading him. At first it feels like Baekhyun loses his attention as fast he hears someone talk behind his back, but Chanyeol keeps taking Baekhyun's attention back to him.

Chanyeol gently leads Baekhyun around in the big room. He smiles his charming smile and locks his eyes with Baekhyun's eyes. Baekhyun feels like hypnotized, just like yesterday evening when he and Chanyeol practiced dancing all alone. Baekhyun follows Chanyeol's every move and trusts him with all his might. He knows that Chanyeol won't fail him and Chanyeol would definitely not let Baekhyun look like a fool around him.

Baekhyun feels how it becomes easier to dance as he smiles a little at Chanyeol who has been smiling the whole time. Finally all the anxious thoughts disappears as Chanyeol keeps leading the way through the room and music. Baekhyun stares into Chanyeol's deep brown eyes while a warm feeling takes over him. Chanyeol pulls him closer to him and shares his warmth with Baekhyun. It's only them in the room, there is no else there.

Chanyeol suddenly stops as Baekhyun wakes up from the hypnosis he is in. Everyone around applauds and Chanyeol lets go of Baekhyun and bows to him. Baekhyun hurries to bow back to him before Chanyeol holds out his hand. Baekhyun gently grabs Chanyeol's hand and lets him Baekhyun away from the dance floor. Baekhyun finally comes back to his senses when Chanyeol stops a bit away from the dance floor.

 

“See, that wasn't that bad?”

 

Chanyeol smiles at Baekhyun who smiles back weakly, but his legs feels weird. Did he just dance in front of all those people? How did he do? Baekhyun hurries to look somewhere else than at Chanyeol as he tries to calm himself down.

 

“Baekhyun, you did very well. Don't worry, no one could tell that you learned to dance yesterday.”
“R-Really...?”
“I promise, you did very well.”

 

Baekhyun nods as he tries to catch his breath, but his mind can't help but to keep freaking out. He has never danced in front of so many people before, it feels so scary now when he thinks about it. Chanyeol smiles as he clears his throat gently to catch Baekhyun's attention again.

 

“Do you need a break Baekhyun? We can go to the balcony and get some fresh air if you would like.”
“I would love some fresh air.”

 

Chanyeol nods as he holds out his left arm to Baekhyun who gently grabs it with his right hand. Baekhyun lets Chanyeol lead him out from the giant ball room and over to a small balcony that is at the moment quite empty. It's them and two more couples that are standing at the balcony, but one of the couples left shortly after Chanyeol and Baekhyun came out.

 

“So... What do you think about the ball this far?”
“It's quite tiring from time to time, but I like the atmosphere. Everyone is dressed up so nicely and it sounds like everyone is having fun.”
“It seems like it, but it's not quite how it looks like.”
“I know that much too, but I like to believe otherwise.”

 

Chanyeol chuckles as he looks out at the view over Seoul with Baekhyun. It's a beautiful view, but they can't stay out here for the rest of the evening. But for now, let's just take a moment and enjoy the view of the city life. After all, Baekhyun is pretty sure that he won't see Seoul for a very long time after tonight. Oh god, how much he has missed to come here. Sure, he loves the wildlife and forest, but he still somehow misses the cities.

Baekhyun can feel Chanyeol's eyes on him as he carefully glances over at the giant who hurries to look away. Okay, that was really obvious Chanyeol. Baekhyun tries to not chuckle as he looks out at the view again, this time he ignores Chanyeol when he looks at him. At the moment, he just wants to enjoy the view of the beautiful city.

 

“Do you... miss coming here a lot?”

 

Chanyeol finally opens his mouth after a couple of minutes of silence. Baekhyun hurries to look over at Chanyeol who tries to not show any special emotions towards him. Baekhyun can feel how he smiles weakly as he glances out at the city again.

 

“I miss it, but I still don't like big cities too much. We used to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter