Chapter 27

Unexpected Love?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Baekhyun's P.O.V

The sound of the old ticking clock echoes through the whole room. Usually everything in the mansion would be calm and peaceful, but not today. Everyone is in a hurry and no one has time to stop everything they're doing to take a breath. It's not weird that everyone is in a hurry because today is the day before one of the biggest days of the year. Tomorrow is one of the most important days in both Baekhyun's and Chanyeol's life: they're getting married.

A groan escapes Baekhyun's mouth while he sits on his bed and watches everyone run around. Chanyeol is finishing his business and work along with Xiumin so he doesn't have to work anything for over a month and Chen and Yuri is busy with the packing. Lay and Kyungsoo are both here today: they're assisting everyone that is in need and makes sure that Baekhyun has something to eat and drink and that he's not hiding somewhere in the mansion as nervous he might get.

 

“No, not over there! Please put it on top of the shelf where it won't be in the way! Lay, can you fetch the papers for Chanyeol downstairs? Yuri, all those clothes are in the way. Please move it to somewhere else, sir Chanyeol won't be needing them for a while. Kyungsoo, you can give Yuri a hand with the clothes.”

 

Chen is the one in charge of the staff today. Usually it's Xiumin who takes the lead or Chanyeol if needed, but not today. Everyone is busy with preparing to leave the mansion after lunch time, but there is one person who isn't doing anything in particular: Baekhyun himself. Honestly he's so nervous that he's sitting curled together on his bed with his arms clutched around his legs that are pressed against his stomach. He knew he would be nervous, but not THIS nervous.

Barely a week ago he felt fine and scary calm, he even dared to think that he had mentally prepared himself for this. But now, only a day away from one of his biggest moments in life, he's starting to feel sick. Have you ever been so nervous that it feels like your stomach is literally turning inside out and that your heart is beating faster than the speed of the light? Well that is exactly how Baekhyun is feeling at the moment.

The moment Chen appears in front of him, he finally snaps back to the reality. That's right, he's not supposed to just sit here on the bed like a fool. He's supposed to take a shower, to get dressed and get ready to leave. He promised himself to not be burden to everyone since there are already a lot to do and there is also a very important day tomorrow. The last thing he wants to do is to ruin anything or to make everyone work more than necessary.

 

“How are you feeling? Are you nervous? If you would like anything to eat or drink you can always ask or talk with Lay or Kyungsoo. Here is a fresh towel for you and some clothes. I saw how you spaced out earlier, so I picked it out for you.”
“C-Chen, you didn't have too... I'm sorry, I'm making you work more than necessary.”
“Don't worry, picking out clothes for you has always been one of my favorite things to do. Though, I think you should get going now. I don't want to be rude, but we have to leave within two hours and you're not even near ready. As fast you're done, can you go and make sure that Chanyeol is ready to leave for me? If he gets pissed tell him that I was the one who sent you and if he wants to complain, he will have to come to me.”
“O-Okay, I will try to not get in your way again. S-Sorry...”

 

Baekhyun quickly receives everything he needs before he gets up of the bed and leaves the bedroom. His legs feels stiff, his shoulders are tensed and his stomach is aching. He didn't think he would be this nervous, but here he is with a stomachache. He just hopes that he can make it through the day without any obstacles.

 

***

 

After a long and refreshing shower, Baekhyun is finally ready to leave. Though there is one thing he has to do before he can relax again. He silently walks down the corridor and watches Yuri and Lay carry a couple of bags downstairs while Kyungsoo is coming out of Chanyeol's office with a tray filled with teacups, glasses and plates. He gives Baekhyun a warm smile and stops in front of him.

 

“Uhm Baekhyun, do you have a second or two?”
“Y-Yes, of course. What is it? Do you need help with anything? Did I forget something?”
“No, I was just... I don't know how much time you will have after this, so I thought I would say it now: congratulations on your marriage. I don't know you too well even though we have know each other for a while, but I hope your future will be as bright as your smile.”
“T-Thank you... I... I don't know what to say...”
“I thought I would congratulate you now since there will be many more of those coming tomorrow. Anyway, I won't hold you any longer than necessary.”

 

Before Baekhyun gets to say anything, Kyungsoo has left. He quickly walks downstairs to leave the dishes and Baekhyun is left alone in the corridor. Up until now he has been living a quite complicated, but somehow comfortable life. It never occur to him that one day he would have to act like a real noble and that people would congratulate him on his marriage. Kyungsoo is a werewolf, just like him, but he congratulated him. He thought that he would say something like: “I feel sorry for you, but hang in there.”, but instead he said something perfectly normal to someone who is getting married.

The thoughts spins around in Baekhyun's head while he walks down the corridor and over to Chanyeol's office. He gently knocks on the door and waits a couple of seconds before he enters it. To his surprise Chanyeol isn't alone, Xiumin is also in the room. Didn't he see Xiumin run around further down the corridor just a minute ago? Those vampires, they're scary fast.

 

“I'm sorry if I'm disturbing you, but I came to check if you're ready to leave. Chen sent me.”
“Why did he send you of all the people? That... Whatever, I'm ready to leave in 10 minutes. Are the others done already or did you just come here to check me?”
“I think they're ready in a couple of minutes, but I'm not sure. I will leave you to your work again, so please excuse me.”

 

Baekhyun quickly leaves the room to not disturb Chanyeol any further. He lets out a small sigh when he's out of their sight: he really hates it when Chanyeol is in a hurry and in a bad mood. Though, this will be the last work he will do for a while and he can need the long awaited vacation. It will be good for him to get away from his desk, to refresh his mind and refill his energy. Everyone needs to unwind and recharge sometimes, even vampires.

 

“Baekhyun, you can go and wait by the living room if you're done. We're leaving in 30 minutes if everything is going as planned.”

 

Chen smiles towards him from Xiumin's office before he walks down the corridor to get back to work. Everyone is busy with preparing, it almost feels like he doesn't exist. He knows that they're seeing him and they're even talking to him, but he doesn't get to do anything for them. He's only standing there like a shadow or ghost, but he doesn't have any purpose. He doesn't like this feeling of feeling ignored or forgotten, but he will have to let the others work in peace for now.

 

***

 

Okay, he thought that he could go downstairs to the living room and try to calm down since he's been nervous the whole morning, but he was wrong. The whole time he waited for the others to finish, he found himself in a mental state where he would imagine every single bad outcome of the planned wedding. He couldn't stop thinking about all those mistakes he would probably make and he can't help to feel nervous about his family finally meeting his fiance, Park Chanyeol. The more he thinks about it, the worse he begins to feel.

When it's finally time to leave, Baekhyun is in a pretty bad state. He's more than shaken and nervous even though nothing has happened. He has been sitting on that damn couch for an hour and only stared either at the floor, at the wall in front of him or at the ceiling above his head. During this long time of pure silence, he has only been able to think about all those bad outcomes and his nervousness only got worse. Though, he doesn't want to worry anyone so he will have to hide his nervousness to the fullest.

 

“Baekhyun-ah, are you ready to leave? Everything is ready and Mr. Park is already outside with Chen. You should get going before he gets pissed, after all you have to travel for some few hours. Don't worry, the ride won't take longer than two or three hours, so you don't have to worry about getting car sick or getting bored.”

 

Lay is smiling towards him from the opening to the living room. All Baekhyun can do is to smile and force himself up of the couch and try to walk as steadily as possible. Luckily, Lay doesn't seem to notice anything strange with him which is good. He helps Baekhyun to get a jacket on before he opens the front door and smiles.

 

“Have a nice trip Baekhyun-ah, I will see you tomorrow at the wedding. Please try to not have TOO much fun with Chanyeol before the wedding.”
“W-What are you implying? You know what, let's not talk about it. I will see you tomorrow, at the wedding. Goodbye for now Lay.”

 

Before Lay can make him blush or make him feel more awkward than what he's already feeling, Baekhyun hurries to exit the mansion. As fast he comes out his eyes spots Chanyeol leaning against the newly washed car while staring calmly towards him. Chen is already waiting inside the car and is probably discussing something with Xiumin who is apparently going with them as well.

 

“That sure took you long enough. Come on, let's get going before it gets late.”

 

Chanyeol stands up straight and opens the car door for Baekhyun who smiles back at him. Of course his mind is still filled with all those nervous thoughts he has been having the whole day, but he doesn't want to worry anyone. He quickly walks over to the door and gets into the car. It doesn't take long before Chanyeol gets into the car as well and Chen and is fast to begin to drive towards their destination.

 

“So, what have you been doing the whole morning while I was gone?”

 

Baekhyun feels how he turns his head towards Chanyeol while staring speechless at him. Wait... Is he trying to have a normal conversation with him? Well, they both have nothing to do for a while and they are going to get married tomorrow. Baekhyun feels how he begins to smile stupidly while trying to come up with something to say.

 

“I... Uhm... I just... sat on the bed or on the couch in the living room mostly of the time.”
“I see... With other words you did nothing useful. But... I guess you wanted to rest mostly of the time since you won't be able to rest for many minutes tomorrow.”

 

Chanyeol stares out through the window while speaking softly. He looks rather bored and tired, but there is a weird look in his eyes. Honestly, Baekhyun gets the feeling that he should be worried about something, but he doesn't know what. He's worried and anxious about a lot of things, after all there are so many things that can go wrong tomorrow. He wonders if he will be able to satisfy everyone. He wants to do his best, to appear like a real gentleman which he has been trained to be, but also to see his family and make them feel calm about his decision to marry this vampire.

 

“If you're tired, you can take a nap. Both me and Chen will take care of you two, so please feel free to lean back and rest. Like sir Chanyeol said, you won't be able to rest for many minutes tomorrow. We will arrive hopefully within two and a half hour to the hotel you're staying at, so you have plenty of time to rest. If you need anything, please feel free to tell us. We have some snacks and drinks for you that Lay packed in case you will get hungry.”

 

Xiumin smiles back at them before he turns to Chen and talks with a lower voice to him. Chanyeol ignores them both as fast Xiumin turns to Chen and Baekhyun gets lost in his own thoughts. He feels how he stares out through the window for a long time before he glances over at Xiumin. His eyes notices how Xiumin is secretly holding one of Chen's hands while talking silently to him. This is the first time Baekhyun has seen them act like “lovers” around him. He has never seen them hug or kiss each other, they haven't even hold hands around him before. It's kind of cute seeing them talk passionately to each other while secretly holding hands.

 

“So... Are you...? Are you nervous yet?”
“N-Nervous? Me? W-Why would I be nervous?”
“You know, even though you pretend to be fine, we can see right through you. It's obvious that you have been nervous for a while now. Don't tell me it's my presence that is making you nervous, that would only be ridiculous.”
“I'm not nervous, I'm just... Slightly unsure about a couple of things...”
“Don't worry, tomorrow will be just fine. You should try to relax and stop thinking about stupid scenarios that won't be happening. Instead, concentrate on the things that you're looking forward too. That's how most people handle their anxiousness.”
“The things I look forwards to...?”

 

Chanyeol smiles slightly at him, though it looks like he's thinking about something else. His eyes goes back to staring out through the window and Baekhyun is left alone with his own thoughts once more. He decides to also stare out through the window while he listens to Chanyeol's words that is still echoing inside of his head. What does he look forward to do tomorrow? Well, isn't it obvious? He thinks... He thinks he's looking forward to finally get tied down to Chanyeol, to get married. Isn't that what he wants?

 

***

 

Just like Chen and Xiumin predicted, they arrived at the hotel they're staying at after two and a half hour later that day. The car ride felt terrible long since Baekhyun couldn't stop thinking about this and that and it was hard to relax. Besides, he has never been into riding cars to begin with. He hates it, it makes him feel restless and it feels unnatural. Though, he doesn't deny the fact that it's an effective and essential way of traveling nowadays.

The hotel they're staying at is a huge building, it has at least 40 floors and is one of the tallest buildings in the area. Chen and Xiumin takes the lead with Chanyeol's and Baekhyun's luggage before they all heads into the building. The time is already past 5 pm and it's soon dinner time. Apparently Chen and Xiumin had a couple of things to prepare, so they are only going to help Chanyeol and Baekhyun get to their room before they will leave. With other words, it will only be Baekhyun and Chanyeol for the rest of the night.

The hotel room is rather luxurious: not that he expected anything less since it's Chanyeol we're talking about. Everything is nicely decorated in white and gray. There is a double bed in one corner of the huge room and there is a big bathroom with a giant bathtub. There is also a small living room where a table is standing. On top of the table stands a vase full of red roses and a small card is placed in front of it. It looks like someone has already begun to send them congratulations gifts.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter