Chapter 26

Unexpected Love?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Baekhyun's P.O.V

Baekhyun stares nervously at his phone while waiting. Any time soon there should be a call for him, he knows it. Chanyeol glances over at Baekhyun from his bed from time to time, but he doesn't seem to want to ask what he's waiting for. Why haven't they called him yet? He's sure that he sent his family an invitation two months ago and it should have reached them by now or much earlier. He has been waiting for a reaction from them, but nothing has happened.

 

“Can you stop staring at it like that? You look like a maniac.”
“Hey Chanyeol... You did send my parents an invitation to our wedding, right?”
“Of course I did, they definitely got it. I wouldn't ask you to waste your time to write a fake invitation, would I?”
“Then why haven't they called me about it? There is no way they wouldn't call me-”
“They probably don't want to disturb you or they might be thinking that you don't care anymore. I don't know, it's not like I know how they are like. Now stop staring at the phone and go to bed, you're annoying me.”

 

Baekhyun wants to sigh, but he holds it in and puts the phone away. He then glances over at Chanyeol who is trying to read his book in peace. Lately he has been reading a lot more and he's not as busy as he used to be. It's all thanks to Xiumin who is now helping Chanyeol to the fullest without working himself too hard. Though, it won't take too long before Chen also becomes a vice president and will help Chanyeol.

It's only a month left to the wedding and Baekhyun admits, he's nervous. Actually, he's a little scared. This is something he thinks he wants, but he's pretty sure that Chanyeol couldn't care even less about the wedding. This is supposed to be a big event for them, their big day, but it's starting to feel like a business meeting. Though, he won't blame Chanyeol. All this time they have only been together because of a stupid contract and it's nothing more than that.

 

“Aren't you going to sleep? I told you that you should just go to sleep.”
“I'm not that sleepy to be honest... Hey, would you mind if I take a walk around the garden?”
“What? At this hour? No, absolutely not. Sleep.”
“Why not? The moon is out and it's finally spring. I would like to refill some of my energy-”
“I said no, you might runaway or do something stupid. We're this close to the wedding, I won't let you harm yourself or give anyone else the opportunity to do so.”
“Then go with me, it will be nice. Please, I just want to-”
“I'm reading right now and it's late. I'm willing to take you on a damn walk tomorrow, but not tonight. Go to sleep with you.”
“I'm not a damn dog you know... Whatever, I don't even have the power to complain anymore...”

 

Baekhyun lies down on the bed with his back against Chanyeol. Like he thought, Chanyeol is only thinking about the damn contract. If he actually did care about Baekhyun then he would have taken him on a walk even though it's late. It's not like Baekhyun expected him to be nice towards him, but he can't help but to feel disappointed. Why does it feel like he just hit the bottom of a deep sea and he can't swim towards the surface anymore?

 

“Don't be grumpy, I was only being rational. Let's go out tomorrow, I promise to take a walk with you. I'm not treating you like a dog, I would only send my dog out to the garden and not care if it run away or not. I'm saying no because there might be something out there to hurt you. I don't want you to get hurt and I'm too tired to move at the moment.”
“Wait, are you trying to comfort me? Are you serious?”
“Yah, do you want me to throw you out after all? Maybe I should?”

 

Chanyeol rolls his eyes in annoyance, but Baekhyun can see a small smile on his lips. Did he just... joke around with him? He can't believe this! Chanyeol is actually trying to be funny! Is he feeling alright?! Baekhyun wants to gasp, but he's scared that Chanyeol will get pissed and turn cold again. Instead he sits up on his bed and smiles.

 

“Then, do you promise to take me on a walk like the gentleman you like to be?”
“Yah, don't make me act more like one than what I'm already doing. It's tiring to be a gentleman, especially towards someone who doesn't deserve one.”
“Oh I deserve one! I have been working hard to adapt to your crazy noble life and I even wrote 40 handwritten invitations for our wedding. Every single one were handwritten!”
“I know that, that was the whole point with it. It's a tradition to hand out handwritten invitations from the bride which is you in this case.”
“I'm not the bride-”
“You are my bride because I say so. I don't care what you think and there is no chance you can change my mind.”

 

Baekhyun can only stare speechless at Chanyeol who is ignoring him again. That giant... He really doesn't have any mercy towards Baekhyun, doesn't he? Baekhyun would have tried to scold him if he wasn't in such a good mood today. Chanyeol returns to reading his book and Baekhyun decided to try to sleep since it looks like Chanyeol doesn't want to talk any longer. Oh well, at least he could exchange a couple of words with him without starting a war.

 

***

 

“Here you go Baekhyun, some delicious tea and sugar free cookies.”
“Why are they sugar free? You never bake sugar free stuff.”
“I told him to give you those.”

 

Baekhyun glances over at Chanyeol who had suddenly entered the room. Lay smiles weakly before he sneaks away and leaves Baekhyun alone with Chanyeol. Ah, that's right, Chanyeol promised to take him on a walk today. Baekhyun lifts his teacup to his lips and gently sips on the warm tea before he looks at Chanyeol again.

 

“So, you told Lay to bake sugar free cookies because?”
“So you won't get fat. You have obviously gained weight since you came here.”
“H-How rude! I haven't gained any weight at all!”
“Are you sure about that? Your cheeks seemed a little chubby yesterday and-”
“I'm not fat and I'm not gaining any weight! As a matter of fact, I'm quite fit and my body is nearly perfect! If there is something I need so is it more nature magic!”
“Are you screaming at me? Do you want to die?”

 

Chanyeol growls pissed at Baekhyun who is irritated as well until he realizes that Chanyeol is in a really bad mood today. He quickly shuts up and lets Chanyeol walk pissed over to him and glare at the cookies.

 

“Maybe I should ban you from eating any sweets until after the wedding? If you get any fatter, then I will look like a fool.”
“I-I'm not fat! Why are you saying that? I feel perfectly fine-”
“Really? I don't believe you.”
“Obviously not since you don't care about what I say. Chanyeol, I'm serious, I'm not fat.”
“I still don't believe you. I think you have gained a little weight if I'm going to be honest.”
“Then let's go on a walk, I will prove that I'm not fat and that I'm more than fit!”

 

Baekhyun quickly stands up and walks towards the hallway. He doesn't care if Chanyeol isn't in the mood to take a walk, he's going to drag that giant around for three hours! They will take the longest walk in history!

 

“Yah, at least finish your tea and the damn cookies.”
“I won't because you won't believe me. Come on, let's get moving since I'm so damn fat.”
“Oh, so you finally admit that you have gained weight?”
“No I'm not! I was being sarcastic and even you should-”
“Yah, stop screaming already and get your shoes on. I don't have the power to hear you trying to scold me.”

 

They both get their jackets and shoes on in silence before Baekhyun heads towards the door. Chanyeol follows him silently before he takes the lead and Baekhyun follows him like the good boy he is. Now when he thinks about it, he's always following Chanyeol around like he's a dog. Great, now he feels even more pissed because he just insulted himself. Though, he calms down as fast Chanyeol grabs his hand and pulls him closer to him. What is he doing? Baekhyun carefully stares up at Chanyeol who heads towards the forest path they have been taking a lot lately.

The forest is calm like usual, though the spring is in the air. There are scents of flowers and fresh leaves growing on the tree. The grass has begun to grow taller and the birds are singing happily. There are more animals moving around by now and he can hear two squirrels play around in the tree tops above his head. All his anger and anxiousness disappears and he can feel a strange calmness take over him. He really likes this forest, it makes him feel calm.

 

“Have you finally calmed down again? I thought you would keep nagging me the rest of the walk to be honest.”
“You know, you are really heartless sometimes. It hurts to hear that I'm fat even though I'm quite fit. I was too skinny before I came to your mansion and when I finally thought I looked normal and perfect, you said I look fat...”

 

Chanyeol walks silently besides Baekhyun who is staring either at the trees ahead of him or up at the sky towards the tree tops. They walk in silence for a little longer and Baekhyun lets Chanyeol hold his hand like he usually does while they're on a walk. Baekhyun believes this is Chanyeol's way of having a “leash” on Baekhyun so he can't run around like a wild dog. Sometimes Baekhyun really wonders what he sees in Chanyeol that is making him feel so crazy and lovely. He must be out of his mind, there is no other answer to his question.

 

“Baekhyun, I didn't know that you were too skinny when you came to the mansion. I didn't even think about that the first time I saw you and I'm only comparing you with the older you I saw when we met. It's not like I would call you fat for fun...”

 

As fast Chanyeol's words reaches Baekhyun's ears, he stops and stares at the taller man. Did he just...? Did he just try to apologize to him? Chanyeol refuses to look straight at Baekhyun who can't help but to feel how his heart beats slightly faster and how a stupid smile is spreading on his lips.

 

“Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to comfort you. I was just stating the truth here so you wouldn't nag me about it. Though, I would still recommend you to stay off those sweets for a little while, just in case. You never know what will happen. Come on, let's not just stand here like two fools.”
“Chanyeol, thank you for trying to cheer me up again.”
“I wasn't trying to do that. I told you to not misunderstand anything.”
“Whatever you say darling!”

 

Baekhyun laughs happily before he begins to walk again. This time he's the one leading the way while dragging Chanyeol along with him. He's suddenly in a great mood after Chanyeol's comment. He can try to fool Baekhyun as much as he wants, however, Baekhyun won't be fooled that easily. He can sense something inside of Chanyeol that isn't his usual cold self. Honestly, Baekhyun's hope was raised slightly, but only slightly.

 

“Yah, you're being too annoying at the moment. I'm only here because someone have to watch over you and both Xiumin and Chen are busy. Besides, it's not Lay's or Yuri's job to watch over you so you're literally burdening me.”
“Stop being so grumpy! I bet that you're actually enjoying yourself!”
“I'm not! And did you just call me grumpy?!”
“I did! What are you going to do about it?!”
“Oh no, you didn't call me that. Take it back right here and now.”

 

Baekhyun quickly lets go off Chanyeol's hand and gives him a teasing smirk. He wonders if he can get Chanyeol to loosen up a little and to have some fun. It was a while ago since he saw Chanyeol being more normal, it might be a good opportunity to make him laugh and smile a little.

 

“What's this? Are you trying to demand me to take my words back? That's really cute of you, but out here you have no control of me.”
“Byun Baekhyun, you would just dare to run away from me.”
“Oh? Do you mean... like this?”
“Y-Yah!”

 

Baekhyun feels how a laughter escapes his mouth while he begins to run down the path. He can hear Chanyeol curse behind him before he begins to run after him. This is just like the first time they came here, though last time Baekhyun nearly got smashed against a tree. This time he will be more careful.

 

“Baekhyun, you're going to take those words back right now! Do you hear me?!”
“I'm sorry, did you say something? I can only hear a weak mumbling in the background!”
“As you wish, but I won't let you get away this time!”

 

Baekhyun laughs as thrilled he has begun to feel and he takes off into the forest. Chanyeol runs after him, though he's not the slightest pissed. When Baekhyun glances back, he sees a huge grin on Chanyeol's lips and his eyes are glowing with excitement. Baekhyun nearly forgot to look forward after seeing Chanyeol's face, but he snapped back to the reality when he felt how he nearly lost

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter