Chapter 18

Unexpected Love?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Chanyeol's P.O.V

Chanyeol sits on the floor beside a crushed old porcelain vase. He doesn't say anything as Chen and Xiumin carefully picks up the broken furniture to throw it out. But this vase, it isn't just any normal vase. It was something Chanyeol has watched carefully and taken care off since he was very young. This vase is worth more than anything in this room.

 

“Chanyeol, sir... S-Shall we throw away this as well?”

 

Chen asks carefully as he holds up an broken phone. Chanyeol stares at it in silence, that's not his phone... Chen sighs and puts the broken phone in his pocket and instead picks up some of the vase pieces. Chanyeol was about to growl at him with an furious voice when he saw Xiumin put some of the vase pieces on a tray.

 

“I will see what we can do with this. Maybe it's broken now, but I have an old friend who is an expert in fixing broken porcelain. I will take it to him as fast as I can, so please don't worry.”
“It's broken... You can't fix it...”
“Not? Are you sure?”
“Not even magic can fix it... Put the pieces on the tray and then leave it on the coffee table over there.”
“Yes sir.”

 

Chanyeol stands up slowly while his mind suddenly drifts off to something else. What happened to Baekhyun? Chanyeol feels a weird feeling rush over him as he walks fast over to the corridor. Why does he feel so anxious all of the sudden? Chen and Xiumin stares after him with worried glances as Chen hurries to put away everything he holds in his hands.

 

“Sir, where are you going?”
“Where is Baekhyun?”
“He's still in the mansion.”
“Where is he?”
“I don't think you should see him just yet-”
“Where. Is. He. Chen?”

 

Chanyeol glares at Chen who gulps nervously and slowly looks down at the floor. Before he can say anything else, Xiumin comes out of the office with soft eyes. He looks like he's been punched as hurt his eyes look.

 

“Please Chanyeol, give him some rest. You nearly hit him back then.”
“That is just why I need to see him.”
“I don't want to be rude, but how do I know that you won't try to hit him again?”
“I won't hit him, I just want to know why he did it.”
“How can you be so sure that it's him?”
“I'm not a werewolf, but even I can sense different scents in the office. The person who did it was in the office only a couple of hours ago and it's not Yuri's or Lay's scent. Call Lay and ask him if he has checked the office today. He has checked it every other day and reported back to me that no one has been in there, but he never called today.”
“But how can you still be so sure that it's Baekhyun?”
“Because... He was alone during the whole day until only an hour ago, right?”

 

Chen and Xiumin stops dead and exchange a glance or two. Chanyeol doesn't want to blame Baekhyun just like that when he has no solid proof, but there were no one else inside the mansion during the time Baekhyun was alone. Yuri has been in the garden the whole day and she went home when Chanyeol and the others came back. And both Lay and Kyungsoo hasn't been here during the time, so none of them did it.

 

“I will go and call Lay then...”
“I still don't think it's Baekhyun. Why would he go in there?”
“Because... he probably remembers now...”
“R-Remembers what?”
“You know very well what I'm talking about. He probably recognized the scent on the vase and couldn't help but to smash it. So he wrecked the whole office and hoped that he could blame it on someone else.”
“I don't think he would ever do such a thing. Baekhyun is an honest person Chanyeol.”
“Why would he be honest and nice towards me when he finally remembers what happened for over 10 years ago? Tell me, why would he even want to be nice towards me?”
“He doesn't remember... He can't remember... I mean, if he truly remembers about it, then he wouldn't dare to face you. Why would he be in such a good mood if he had broken something? It doesn't make sense. You have no solid proof that says it was him.”
“Sure, he was home alone, but someone else could have broken in.”
“Are you on my side or on his side?!”

 

Chanyeol is starting lose his patience and is getting more and more pissed. Chen and Xiumin glance at each other before Xiumin's phone begins to vibrate. When he checks it, his eyes looks more than calm.

 

“Lay checked the office and it was more than fine when he left. Also, he stayed here until 12 pm and watched over Baekhyun.”
“He said he was going home at 10 am-”
“He changed his mind and says that Baekhyun wanted him to spend more time with him until we would come back home. I will go and talk to Yuri and see if she has noticed something and if she checked on Baekhyun.”
“I will go downstairs and see if Baekhyun spent any time in the living room.”
“Yah... Where is Baekhyun? I want to ask him directly.”
“He's... probably hiding somewhere in the mansion. He never left it, that's all I can say.”

 

Chanyeol sighs annoyed while Chen and Xiumin hurries away. If it wasn't Baekhyun who did all this, then who the hell did? No one would come all this way to ruin Chanyeol's office without taking anything! Wait... Baekhyun's phone! Baekhyun's cellphone was in the office!

Chanyeol rushes back into the room and searches after Baekhyun's phone right away. He looks around the whole office and in the safe where it is supposed to be, but the safe is broken open and the phone is gone. Chanyeol growls angrily as he hurries to stand up to leave the room to find Baekhyun. That little brat took his cellphone! That's why he went in here!

Chanyeol rushes towards the door, but before he can get anywhere, Xiumin stops him. Chen comes running up the stairs as well while Xiumin hurries to bow slightly before he clears his throat to speak up.

 

“Yuri went inside three times during the time Baekhyun was alone and she found him in the living room all the three times.”
“And the DVD player and the TV shows that Baekhyun has been watching two movies during the day.”
“But I know it's him now! His phone is gone from the safe!”
“No, it isn't. Or it is gone from the safe, but Baekhyun doesn't have it.”
“How can you be so sure?”
“Because it's right here. I showed you it earlier, remember?”

 

Chen hurries to pick out the broken phone he had found inside the office earlier. Chanyeol quickly grabs the phone and he checks it. Now when he takes a better look at it, it actually is Baekhyun's phone. Chanyeol sighs tired and rubs his face with his hands before he looks tired and seriously at Chen and Xiumin.

 

“Okay, then who the hell did it? You two? No, you were with me the whole time and it wasn't Yuri. Then who the hell is it?!”
“Well... Do you remember that Kai had told us about the rebels in Seoul?”
“Well of course I remember. Wait... You're not actually being serious, are you? It can't have been them!”
“It could have been them! Let's ask Kyungsoo to take a look at the room and tell us if the scent is Baekhyun's or not. If you don't believe us that Baekhyun is innocent, then Kyungsoo will have to tell us.”
“Forget it... It's probably not Baekhyun after all...”
“It couldn't have been him. Didn't you see how terrified he got earlier? If he truly had done it, he wouldn't have dared to go so close to you in the first place.”

 

Chanyeol sighs and grabs his hair tightly. What the hell is going on in this freaking household? Baekhyun gets terrified and scared to death by Chanyeol who loses his temper right away. All the working must have made him overreact and when he saw the broken vase, he couldn't hold back the anger that grabbed him.

 

“Where is Baekhyun...?”
“Actually... We're not sure exactly where he is.”
“Then don't just stand there! Go look for him!”
“Y-Yes sir.”

 

Chanyeol watches Xiumin and Chen hurry away to find Baekhyun. He lets out a tired sigh as he glance back into the office that is wrecked. Who the hell would actually do such a thing? The mansion lies in the middle of the woods, barely anyone should know it even exists. So who did it?

 

***

 

“He's not in the kitchen nor in the living room. He's not in your bedroom either and all the bathroom's are unlocked and empty.”
“What about the guestrooms?”
“Chen is checking them right now. I checked the basement, but he isn't there either. Chen checked the library and the music room as well as the training room. He wasn't there. Yuri hasn't seen him leave the mansion as well.”
“He must be in a guestroom then.”

 

Xiumin nods as he sighs silently. He looks quite anxious to be honest, like they won't find Baekhyun. Maybe Baekhyun has gone into hiding and is much harder to find now when he's still terrified?

 

“He must be really terrified right now...”
“Yeah... It's probably my fault.”

 

Xiumin grabs his phone nervously and looks towards the stair where Chen should come. After a couple of minutes, Chen finally comes down with a concerned look on his face, but he doesn't look as anxious as Xiumin does.

 

“I think I have found him.”
“Where?”
“His old room. The door is totally blocked with furniture and even if I use all my strength to move everything, it will probably only scare him even more. I can barely push the door open at the moment.”
“It's also unnecessary to break more furniture than needed.”
“Smash the door open if you have to. Get him out of there so we can talk to him.”
“Oh, I think not!”

 

Xiumin looks and sounds quite strict while he glares at Chanyeol who stares shocked at him. Woah, since when did he dare to glare at Chanyeol like this?

 

“Baekhyun is terrified because of you. If we smash the door and the furniture, then you will probably scare him to death for real.”

 

Chanyeol nods silently as he thinks back to what had happened. Now when he thinks about it, he probably scared Baekhyun to death with his furious roars and his death glares. He didn't mean to scare Baekhyun like that, he was just really furious at the moment. Maybe he should just leave Baekhyun alone until he dares to come back out on his own? Werewolves can last without food and water for around 3 days without risking their own lives. Chanyeol can let Baekhyun be for a day or two and if he truly doesn't come out until then, then he will have to fetch him himself.

 

“Don't disturb Baekhyun. Let him be and don't talk to him. Try to push in a bottle of water so he can drink if he gets thirsty. Else, don't even speak to him. Let him be until he wants to come out.”
“But what about food?”
“He won't eat anyway. Don't worry about him too much, he's a werewolf and can last without food and water for over 3 days. If he gets hungry, he will probably come out to eat. I will fetch him myself if he doesn't come out within a day or two. Until then, just make sure that he has water to drink and that you don't disturb him.”
“Are you sure that this-?”
“Do as I say and don't you dare to go against my orders this time.”

 

Chanyeol eyes both Chen and Xiumin who don't say anything, but they nod slightly to an answer. Chanyeol then takes a deep breath as he remembers his office still being in a huge mess. He will have to fix it and later take a nap so he can get back to his real senses.

 

“Clean up in my office and then go downstairs and try to figure out who came in here and why. Since you two claim that it isn't Baekhyun, you two will have to find out who else who did it.”

 

Chen and Xiumin bows deeply before they finally leave Chanyeol. Of course they will have a lot to do and Chanyeol can't let them spend time on searching for the person or persons who sneaked into the mansion and wrecked his office. But for now, it will keep them busy and away from Baekhyun. Chanyeol will let Baekhyun be as well in hope of him coming to him first. He doesn't want to scare Baekhyun more than what he already has done.

 

***

 

“W-Where is Baekhyun?”

 

Lay asks mostly confused while he looks around. Chanyeol sighs as he closes his eyes in annoyance. It's been more than one day since Baekhyun literally locked himself into his old bedroom. Lay hasn't been here since he left Baekhyun on the same day that Chanyeol and the others came back hom

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter