Chapter 29

Unexpected Love?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Baekhyun's P.O.V

It's dark everywhere – there isn't even a small ray of light coming from the sky or any windows that can let in light. It's pitch black, but he can still hear something in the background. Someone is talking to him, though the voice sounds weak in his ears. It's a deep and rather raspy voice, but luckily he can still hear what the person is saying if he doesn't try to move or think too much. If he concentrates on the raspy voice, he can hear what its telling him.

 

“I'm sorry... It's not your fault... Don't be so scared, it won't hurt... I will make it quick, I promise... Please don't look at me like that, I'm just doing what is natural for me.”

 

The voice is slowly getting closer and the closer it gets, the more he begins to see his surrounding. Around him are tall trees, they look to nearly reach the sky as tall they are. Around him is darkness, but everything becomes slightly brighter which makes it easier to see what is going on. His eyes begins to spot bushes, piles of dirt, small trees, leaves on the ground and bats flying around in the distance. His senses are stronger than normally, he can sense the strong scent of alcohol and there is a faint scent of smoke in the air as well. Why does it feel familiar?

 

“Hey kid, you shouldn't blame me for this. It's your own damn fault that you smell so freaking delicious. Didn't I tell you to not look at me like that? I'm just doing what is natural for me, it's nothing wrong with it. You don't have to worry, all you need to do is to close your eyes and pretend that you're going to sleep.”

 

There is a man's voice echoing around him: he can't tell where it is coming from. Up until now, it didn't feel like he had a body. He couldn't move and he didn't sense his own breathing or his heartbeat. But suddenly he feels how his whole body begins to tremble, he is breathing heavily and quickly while his heart is beating faster and faster. The blood in his veins are rushing through him and he can feel a strong fear grow within him. He tries to move, but his body hurts, it already feels like he has crashed into a couple of trees on his way here.

 

“Come on, don't be so shy. Come over here and let nature do its job. It won't hurt for very long, I promise. All you have to do is to-”

 

He refuses to stay still any longer and listen to the voice: it's too dangerous. He feels how his body begins to move and he quickly tries to run straight forward, but then he spots a shadow smirk right in front of him. His whole body aches in pain when he forces it to make a sharp turn to not run right into the smirking shadow. He feels how his muscles grows stronger, how his eyes becomes sharper and how his nose picks up every single scents around him. He can feel how his ears makes every sound become clearer and he hears every single noise within ten meters.

 

“You little... If you want to play so badly, then I will show you how to play... You little brat!”

 

The shadow finally appears in a man's form and it's not standing too far away from him. It suddenly begins to sprint towards him with its eyes turning red and its mouth shows the sharp white teeth. Fear rushes through his whole body, he can barely breathe for a second and the adrenaline pumps furiously out to his whole body. He sprints as fast as he can, this time he doesn't look back at the man who is probably ready to hunt him.

The forest was silent and calm until he begins to run. Crows begin to fly around while cawing, the bats are becoming more wild and the darkness feels like it's creeping closer. He runs as fast as he can through the forest and manages to avoid all obstacles such as stones, bushes and fallen trees. Though, it's not enough for him to run blindly while dodging the obstacles. He can hear all too well that the shadow man is close behind him, he doesn't even have to look back to know he's closing in on him.

Tears begin to form in his eyes and he tries to scream, but he's already out of breath from running. All he can do is to keep running, to cling onto his life and try to get away. He suddenly sees an open field ahead of him where the moon is shining brightly. A new hope grows stronger within him and he tries to keep sprinting as fast as he can. He can see the light, he's so close to it and he senses a calm coming from it. He's only a meter away from the light when he suddenly feels how a cold hand grabs his neck and how the claw-like nails dig into his skin. A shriek escapes his mouth and he feel how he gets slammed down onto the ground. He can't move, he can barely breath from the sudden hit and his eyes are staring at the pair of red eyes in front of him.

 

“You're mine little boy...”

 

The shadow man in front of him smirks while struggling him. He tries to scream for help in hope to get away from the man, but nothing leaves his mouth. He can only cry while listening to the forest that is full of sounds, but it's hard to hear them. The shadow slowly opens his mouth, he says something but his voice doesn't reach Baekhyun's ears. All of a sudden, his eyes glows stronger and he quickly attacks him with his sharp teeth. Another shriek escapes Baekhyun's mouth while the pain fills his body. The silence around him disappears in that moment and he can hear the strong wind blowing in the trees, the screaming bats and the voices of other people. They're calling his name, even screaming in fear while he struggles to move. His body feels weak, he can't move and the pain is growing stronger. All he can do is to close his eyes and let the darkness surround him...

 

***

 

“Is he... alright...? Do you think it's bad...? W-What if he-?”
“You people, it's all your fault he's in this state...! How dare you to be in the same room as him after everything that has happened...?! If it wasn't for you-!”
“Mom, calm down... Please... Not around him... Not now...”

 

There are many familiar voices around him, though they sound rather faint. What is going on? Where is he? He feels how he opens his eyes and a groan escapes his mouth when the light hits his eyes. Why is it so bright all of the sudden? The moment he lets out the groan, the whole room falls silent. What happened now? Did something happen? He slowly sits up by supporting his body with his hands and feels how his head gives him a violent spin. He nearly loses his balance, but a pair of strong hands grabs him and supports him.

When his head finally calms down again, he sees that in front of him stands a rather big crowd. Among them stands Xiumin and Chen, his mother and one of his sisters and even Luhan and Sehun are here. To his surprise he doesn't spot a couple of people he thought he would see among everyone else. Among those people he's thinking of is his father and his second sister. Where is Lay? And... where is... Chanyeol?

 

“Baekhyun? Can you hear me? Are you there? Please, if you hear me, try to say something.”

 

Lay suddenly appears from beside him and he quickly makes eye contact with him. That's right, Lay is a doctor. Baekhyun totally forgot about that for a second or two. It's not weird that he's the one who is checking him, he's probably the only one around who has the right “education” to do so. Wait... Where are they? Why does his head feel messed up and heavy? There is a chaos growing inside of his head, it's even hard to concentrate on Lay in front of him at the moment.

 

“I... I can hear you... I'm alright...”
“Well, it looks like your injury isn't too serious after everything that has happened. You can both hear and reply to what I'm saying which is good. How are you feeling? Does anything hurt? Please tell me if something feels wrong or weird.”
“I think... I think I hit my head a little too hard earlier... Else, I'm fine.”
“It's good to hear that. Please don't move around too much at the moment, we will take care of the other guests. For now, stay here with Chanyeol and Lay.”
“Everyone, please say goodbye to sir Baekhyun and sir Chanyeol, we will have to ask everyone to leave early today because of the injury.”
“It's understandable, we wouldn't want him to overdo anything either. Since you seem to be alright, we will take our leave.”
“I'm sorry, but I'm not leaving my son with the likes of-”
“Ma'am, please don't say anything like that. We understand your feelings, but we're as shocked as you are. We had no idea what was going to happen, it wasn't preventable. If you care about your son, you should let him rest for now. Don't worry, I will personally take him to see you as soon he feels better.”
“Mom, I think we should leave too... Come on, dad and sis are waiting in the other room.”

 

Chen tries to calmly get Baekhyun's mother and sister to leave the room, though his mother has always been a tough one. She's stubborn and caring which makes it hard for her to leave at the moment. After a lot of struggling, both Chen and Xiumin end up escorting his mother out and the others bow respectfully before they leave. Everything is confusing at the moment and it's hard to understand what is going on with his head acting strange. What happened to him? He can't seem to remember at the moment.

He's in the middle of his own thoughts when he suddenly feels how the two strong hands squeezes his shoulder and Lay silently exits the room. Why is he leaving all of the sudden? Didn't Xiumin say that he would stay and watch over him? Wait... The only person who is left in the room...

 

“Are you alright? Baekhyun, don't act tough and tell me straight out: are you hurt?”

 

Chanyeol suddenly stands in front of him while staring into his eyes. The moment Chanyeol locks his eyes with Baekhyun, a strange uncomfortable feeling washes over him. For some reason he doesn't want to be alone with him, he doesn't dare to be alone with him.

 

“I-I'm fine... My head is just...”
“I'm sorry... I'm sorry that I let this happen. I... I should have known that he wouldn't back off so easily. I'm sorry that you got hurt. You shouldn't have walked away to begin with-”
“C-Chanyeol...? W-What...? What happened now again? I'm sorry, my head is a little fussy and it's hard to concentrate on my thoughts at the moment...”
“You...? Don't you remember? Baekhyun, you literally got attacked and nearly killed just a moment ago. If you weren't lucky that I noticed the scent of your blood, then you would have been dead by now. What did you even do out there to begin with?”
“Out there...? Ah, that's right, I was in the lobby... I needed a break... and then... Then...”

 

What did happen in the lobby? He knows that something bad happened and that he could have gotten killed: but how? He was sitting in the lobby and then... That's right... There was a man approaching him. He said a couple of strange things and then... Then he suddenly attacked? That doesn't sound right, it sounds too violent. He was acting strangely cold and he had suddenly lost his temper. That's right, he suddenly tried to grab him and in the end Baekhyun nearly got choked to death.

 

“Ah that's right... I remember now... That man... H-He was your...”
“Mm... He's my so-called grandfather, the head of my family and the almighty vampire who thinks he has the right to do anything he wants. Though, he shouldn't even have been here.”
“W-Why is he so obsessed with killing me? T-That man is crazy...”
“Well... I know at least one of the reasons why he wants to get rid of you, though... Let's not talk about it, not now at least. Instead, tell me how you're feeling. Does your head hurt? Did you hit it or did he hit you? We couldn't find any external wounds, but sometimes you can get a pretty hard hit even if it doesn't show.”
“I'm alright, I think it will go over soon... It's a little like the other times when my head is getting messed up. It's just lasting a little longer this time... W-What happened with the guests and the wedding? D-Did you just end it?”
“We had too, after all you got hurt and fainted. All the business partners left early without any fuss since they knew they would be in the way, but your family were stubborn enough to stay. Your mother refused to leave until she saw you wake up and your father wanted to make sure there aren't any other vampire rebels around which he called my grandfather.”
“Ah... I-It's not weird, he's being overprotective like usual... Besides, he told me that there were rumors about rebels trying to assassinate the peace makers like they call us.”
“Mm... I heard that there have been a lot of troubles when it comes to those rebels. Luckily no one has gotten killed yet, but many have been poisoned and hospitalized. We're lucky that you got away with not a single scratch on you. Though, my grandfather isn't counted as a rebel either since he didn't try to kill you because of the peace making.”
“I-Is that so...? T-That's...nice...? I'm not even sure what to say anymore... What are we going to do now? I mean, we're not done with the whole ceremony and-”
“If you don't feel well, then don't push yourself. We will just redo everything, just you and me that is. Your health is more important to me than a stupid ceremony. Though, we still need to finish the ceremony at some point in the near future.”
“Then... Let's finish it today. I just need a little rest before we go, that's all.”
“I said we can do it in the near future. Don't push yourself and don't worry the people around you. If you really care about the people around you, then don't make them worried.”
“Were you... worried? I mean, when I fainted, did you... get scared?”
“Of course I got angry, that bastard dared to show up and even touch you like he did. But, I can't say that I really got scared. I knew you would be fine, you somehow always manage to be alright even though you get hurt. Therefor I didn't worry, you're much tougher than you look and you wouldn't die that easily. I just have a feeling that it's impossible to kill you.”
“Is that... a compliment? You know, I don't even care. Just let me rest before we leave.”

 

Before Chanyeol can argue against him, he quickly lies down on the couch he has been sitting on the whole time and closes his eyes. His head is still feeling funny, but it is getting better. Though... That dream... He's pretty sure he had a scary dream, but... He can't seem to remember it. He knows it was a nightmare and he should be terrified, but he's not feeling anything in particular. Is something wrong with him? First his head begins to act weird, then he has a nightmare which he can't remember and then he gets a feeling that he should be terrified of something he has no idea of what it is.

 

“Very well then, if you really think you can continue the ceremony and ritual, then I will inform Chen and Xiumin about it. Stay here and don't move, not without someone being around you. I will be back in a while, so you can take your time to rest.”
“Okay... Chanyeol... Thank you... I...”
“You don't have to thank me, it was more or less my job to stop my grandfather. Now rest.”

 

It doesn't take many seconds before Chanyeol gently pats Baekhyun on the head and then leaves the room. Wait... Did he just do that? Baekhyun opens his eyes and stares over at the door: did Chanyeol just do what he think he did? He literally feels speechless now – he didn't know Chanyeol could be this gentle and nice towards him. Though, he might only try to act nice and lovely because he's scared that Baekhyun will runaway from him before they're done with the ceremony. On the other hand, Baekhyun wouldn't be able to runaway at the moment.

The room falls silent the moment Chanyeol has left to talk with Xiumin and Chen. Honestly, he doesn't mind the silence since the whole day has been full of sounds, chatters and problems. It's been a scary long day and it could have ended really badly. Though, it's not over yet. He gets a feeling that his day is far from over. A sigh escapes his mouth while he puts an arm over his eyes and listens to the silence. His mind travels back to the dream he had after he fainted, though he can't seem to remember the details.

Slowly he begins to remember the dream faintly, but his thoughts are still slightly messed up. He remembers darkness, w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter