Mission Eighteen – Lee Gikwang and Lee Kwang Soo

Code Name : BEAST and the Angels

 

- Moon Haeseon -

 

I entered the base. It felt like I had been away from the base for some times and it was all because of Junhyung. I was accompanying him at the hospital in the most of the time because he became a big baby that nagged a lot. And, honestly, I was worried a lot to leave him alone on the hospital. It wasn’t because his life was in danger or something like that. But it was more because I, or probably I should correct it as we the members of the team, worried that Junhyung would secude the nurses on the hospital. So, Doojoon and Aegi told me to stay with Junhyung. Besides, among all the members, I was a little idle and not to mention that Haejo was at the hospital too. But Hyunseung was replacing me before the lunch time since he wanted to update Junhyung about Jung Tae-il.

 

Junhyung was nagging at me because he really wanted to go back in action as soon as possible. It was less than a week since what had happened with Hong Rae Jin, but he really couldn’t stand to have a rest on the hospital. He said that it was making his body aching. So, Hyunseung promised him to come when he got back from the countryside. But because of Hyunseung, I could be free from Junhyung for a while and got back to work.

 

Yay, for that!

 

Honestly, I admitted that I had fallen for Junhyung. But somehow, I still couldn't stand with his nags.

 

I walked toward my table as I noticed that only Dongwoon who was standing by on the base. He was sitting on Yoseob’s workstation and reading a magazine. Other than him, nobody was there. Even Aegi and Doojoon’s rooms were empty. I looked back to Dongwoon. He was looking at me when I entered the room.

 

“Ah, you’ve back?” He asked.

 

“Yeah, Hyunseung is accompanying Junhyung at the hospital,” I said as I put my bag on my chair then I looked around. “Where’s everyone?”

 

“Doojoon and Yoseob are still on the interrogating room, interrogating Jung Tae-il. Aegi and Kyuri were there. But I don’t know where Aegi and Kyuri are now. Yoseob told me that they have left.”

 

I looked back at Dongwoon. “And Gikwang?”

 

Dongwoon shrugged. “When I returned to the base, he has left.”

 

“He didn’t tell you where he goes?”

 

Dongwoon shook his head.

 

I just nodded. “Okay,” I said then pulled out my seat and sat there.

 

I looked at the folders that had been piled on my table. They were reports of Hong Rae Jin’s case and also about Yoo Im Taek’s case. I looked at them. But then, I heard the phone rang.

 

I looked around to Dongwoon. He quickly straightened his sitting position and slid the swivel chair closer to the table. Dongwoon took the phone and answered it.

 

"Special force division Team A base. It’s Son Dongwoon speaking," he answered the phone then went silent for a while.

 

I smiled to hear him answering the phone. I was thinking that Dongwoon seemed to be left behind on the base a lot by s. His greeting sounded like a receptionist on the front lobby. Even Kyuri didn’t sound like him whenever she answered the phone. I covered my lips as I rested my elbow on the table. I tried to hold back my smile.

 

“Our team leader is not here at the moment.” Dongwoon spoke again then went silent. “Ah, yes. Lee Gikwang is part of our team."

 

Somehow, when I heard the name Lee Gikwang, something made me bothered. I looked back at Dongwoon, waiting for his next words. But then, I noticed that Dongwoon expression changing. His eyes became wider and his expression looked surprise.

 

"Mwo? Gikwang hyung is on the Hospital?!"

 

I lifted my head as I felt interest. I also wondered why Gikwang was on the hospital. But looking at Dongwoon’s reaction that started to panic, I guessed it could be something urgent or emergency. I lowered my hand.

 

“On the emergency room?” He stood up from his chair. “Ah, okay, okay. I’ll inform our team leader as soon as possible. Thank you for notifying us.” He bowed then put down the phone.

 

“Something happen?” I asked as Dongwoon hung up the phone.

 

Dongwoon looked as if he was confused and disorientated for a while. He looked at me. “Gikwang hyung…,” he said. “He was on the emergency room. Someone stabbed him and left him dying.”

 

When I heard it, I quickly turned to my own phone station and dialed Aegi’s number. Somehow I was sure that Dongwoon couldn’t think clearly right now. He seemed to get huge shock when he heard the news.

 

“Aegi,” I said as I heard the phone picked up. “It’s Moon. Listen. Lee Gikwang is on the hospital. Someone stabbed him.”

 

 

- Yong Junhyung -

 

I was sitting on the wheelchair outside the operation room as I saw Hyunseung was walking back and forth in the front of me. We were waiting for my team members to come.

 

Earlier, Hyunseung received a call from Moon that informed him if Gikwang was on the emergency room at the hospital. We didn’t know what had happened to him. But when we came to the emergency room, I saw he was lying on the bed with respiratory aids and doctor giving him CPR. I saw bloods were dripping from the sheet. It seemed that he had massive blood loss. I heard that he got stabbed. I never thought that it was so serious. So, I was worried about his and also my team members. But we were lucky that he was admitted on the same hospital as me.

 

My thought was disturbed when I noticed Hyunseung walked toward one direction. I looked up and saw Doojoon, Yoseob and Dongwoon coming. Aegi was coming along with them.

 

“Thank God that you’ve come,” Hyunseung said.

 

“We came right away when we heard the news,” Aegi said as she stopped in the front of Hyunseung.

 

I saw Yoseob stopped in the front of the operation room’s door. He was looking at the operation sign for a while. When I saw him, somehow I was grateful that it wasn’t Yoseob who saw Gikwang’s condition at the emergency room. With that eidetic memory ability that Yoseob had, I was sure that he would feel burden and would have hard time afterward. Because his ability would make him unable to forget how his friend looked like on that emergency room earlier. Yoseob turned to look at me.

 

“How long has he been there?” Yoseob asked.

 

“An hour,” I replied him. “The doctor said that he was stabbed from behind. The stab injured his heart so they have to operate him.” I looked at Aegi as I said it.

 

I was sure that she would understand what it meant. She was coming from a family with medical background just like Gikwang. I remembered that Doojoon ever told me that Aegi’s mother and one of her brothers were doctors. I hadn’t met her mother. But Hyunseung mentioned about her when he told me about Jung Tae-il earlier. Aegi was nodded to hear my short explanation.

 

“But who did this to him?” Hyunseung asked.

 

“We don’t know about it yet,” Aegi replied him. “But I’ve told Kyuri and Moonie to go to the crime scene immediately to join the crime investigation team.” She turned to Doojoon. “I’ll go there soon after this.”

 

But it seemed that she wanted to make sure if one of us would manage to keep our selves straight, probably especially Doojoon since he was our leader.

 

“Thanks. I’ll manage,” Doojoon said to her as he tapped her arm. “Just go now.”

 

“Call me if he’s already out.”

 

Doojoon just nodded. Aegi looked back at us one by one. Her gaze stopped at me. I just smiled at her. Probably she knew that I could keep my self straight at the moment. She slightly nodded at me then looked back at Doojoon.

 

“I’ll go now,” she said to Doojoon. “I’ll contact you if we find any clues.”

 

Doojoon nodded again and Aegi turned. She walked away. But I saw Doojoon was looking at her until she the crossway. Doojoon exhaled and dropped his gaze. I noticed that he was slightly smiled. It seemed that he was thankful for Aegi’s concern toward him and his team members.

 

For the first time, I saw Doojoon seem to be grateful that Aegi was part of our team. But somehow I felt the same way too. I was thankful that the girls were part of the team, at least for a while as we handled this case. I was sure that Doojoon felt a little bit guilty because of what had happened to Gikwang. He treasured us a lot and always took care of us nicely. So, my injury and also Gikwang’s could make him feeling lost. Yoseob, Hyunseung and also Dongwoon received a huge shock too so they would feel lost for a while.

 

But with the girls’ presence, it would keep our team on the track. I knew Aegi, Moonie and Kyuri would still be working on the case no matter what had happened. It was their way as professionals and I respected them for always keeping their professional attitude.

 

 

- Moon Haeseon -

 

When I arrived at the crime scene with Kyuri, the local police officers and also the Crime Scene Investigation team were already there. I showed my KSTF badge to the officer who waited on the front door. He let me and Kyuri entered the building.

 

When I first heard that Gikwang was stabbed, I didn’t think that the crime was happening inside the M.E. Office. When we reached the place where Gikwang was found, I saw a detective from Interpol was there too. I knew him. He was Detective Im. I, Kyuri and Aegi ever met him for couple of times when we were taking care of our cases. Aegi also told me before that he was handling Kang Heejoon’s case on the Interpol. So, somehow, I didn’t wonder on why he was on the scene. He was talking with one of the M.E staffs.

 

“Kyuri.” I called the younger girl as I looked at her.

 

“Yes?” She looked back at me.

 

“Take care of the crime scene,” I told her.

 

She looked at me for a while then shifted her gaze toward Detective Im. She seemed to understand as she looked back at me. “Okay,” she said as she nodded then walked toward the room.

 

I looked back at Detective Im and walked toward him. He noticed my presence and turned at me.

 

“Hello, Detective Im,” I greeted him as I bowed.

 

“Hello, Officer Moon,” he said. “Where’s Team Leader Shin?”

 

“She’ll come soon,” I replied him. “But I see that Interpol is taking care of the scene. I thought I will see the local police here instead of Interpol.”

 

He smiled and moved closer to me. “This place is under Interpol and KSTF supervision because of their connection to Kang Heejoon’s case.” He told me. “I thought Aegi has told you about it.”

 

I smirked because of his words. Of course I had known about it. “I’m just testing you,” I said. “It was our team member who becomes the victim this time.”

 

“I know.” He shifted his gaze to the room. “Lee Gikwang, isn’t it? I’ve met him with Aegi some days ago. How is he now?”

 

I shrugged. “Aegi went there with his direct team leader and his team.” I looked at him. “So, what did you get?”

 

He exhaled slowly and looked at his notebook. “That room there is Lee Kwang Soo’s room. He’s the Medical Examiner Chief.”

 

I frowned as I heard the name. I recognized the name. Aegi ever told me about him. “Lee Kwang Soo? Is that Lee Gikwang’s father?”

 

Detective Im nodded then looked back to his note. “The one who found him was Lee Kwang Soo’s assistant, Kim Shihwan.” He pointed to the guy in doctor coat who stood on the side. “He was giving Gikwang the first aid before the ambulance came.”

 

I looked at the guy, Kim Shihwan. He looked a little worry because he became the first one to find the victim. Everyone who was working related to the criminal field would know that the first to find the victim might become the suspect. Of course, Kim Shihwan would know about it too. Probably that was why he looked worried. But I didn’t want to accuse anyone right now without having further investigation. I looked at Detective Im again.

 

“But where’s Dr. Lee right now?” I asked him.

 

“Kim Shihwan said that Dr. Lee is out since lunch time for examining bodies and a meeting. He has schedules from 1 PM till 7 PM so his room is supposed to be empty.”

 

“So, he didn’t come back to his room for once?”

 

Detective Im shook his head. “No… according to his assistant. He examined the bodies with Dr. Lee all the time but separated when they were done. Dr. Lee went to the meeting and he came back to his station.”

 

I just nodded my head when I heard his explanation. But then, the corner of my eye caught Kyuri coming out from the room. As I looked at her, I noticed that she looked troubled. She was leaning on the wall beside Lee Kwang Soo’s door and looked at her camera. My intuition told me that something had happened. Somehow, I felt that I would need to talk with her. I looked back to Detective Im.

 

“Thank you for the information,” I said to the detective. “I need to check on something.” I pointed at the room.

 

“Okay,” Detective Im said.

 

So, I left his side and went to Kyuri. “Kyuri,” I called her as I approached her.

 

Kyuri raised her gaze to look at me. She also straightened her body.

 

“What’s wrong?” I asked her as I already stopped in the front of her.

 

“I don’t know whether Unnie ever told you or not about this,” she said. She was speaking on softer voice so I assumed that she would say something secret. “But when Gikwang was investigating Jung Tae-il, he asked me to find the prescription for Jang Hana’s medicine.”

 

“Then?”

 

“I found it,” she said. “But Unnie asked me not to give the report to Gikwang.”

 

“Why?”

 

Kyuri paused for a while. “Because the one who gave Jung Tae-il the recommendation letter and approved the prescription was Gikwang’s father, Lee Kwang Soo.”

 

When I heard it from Kyuri, I exhaled. So, Lee Kwang Soo was involved on the case deeper than we thought. I understood the reason why Aegi forbid Kyuri to give the report to Gikwang. Probably, Aegi didn’t tell me yet since we hadn’t met since we located Jung Tae-il’s location. But knowing that Lee Kwang Soo was Jung Tae-il’s protector, I guessed it would make him to be the top suspect who tried to kill Gikwang. He got the power, the reason and also the chance to harm one of our team members. If Aegi asked me who the one that caught my eyes as a suspect, then Lee Kwang Soo would be the one.

 

“I’ll call Aegi,” I told Kyuri. “But I want you to do something.”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Try to find evidence that Lee Kwang Soo returned to and left his office between 1 PM to 7 PM.”

 

Kyuri nodded then left. I looked at her. She knew what she supposed to do. I dropped my gaze as I fished out my phone from my pocket. I looked for Aegi’s phone number and dialed the number. I waited for a while.

 

“Hello, Aegi,” I said as she picked up the phone. “It’s Moon.” I paused for a while. “For the one who stabbed Gikwangie, I think I have a suspect.”

 

Of course, Aegi asked me who my suspect was.

 

“Lee Kwang Soo.”

 

But… as I mentioned Gikwang father’s name, I was thinking. What kind of father would try to kill his own son?

 

Somehow, I felt that this case would threaten us.

 

 

- Jang Hyunseung -

 

I drove Doojoon’s car toward Gikwang’s family house since Aegi asked me to come there immediately. I used Doojoon’s car since he would be staying at the hospital with Junhyung until Gikwang came out from the operation room. Yoseob and Dongwoon decided to return to the base. I didn’t drive them there since Aegi seemed to make this became a top priority.

 

When the car approached the house, I saw Aegi was there. She was leaning on her own car and playing with her car key. She was waiting for me. She raised her gaze as she saw the car coming then she straightened her body. I parked behind her car and came out. I looked at the house as I approached her. Gikwang’s house was big and having 2 stories. I had never seen his family’s house before since Gikwang had lived separately from his family after he graduated from the Special Force Academy. Gikwang rarely told us about his family. But he ever told us that his father was a doctor and a Medical Examiner.

 

“It’s Gikwang’s house, isn’t it?” I asked her as I stopped in the front of her. I was still looking at the house.

 

“Yeah.”

 

I looked at Aegi. “Why are we here?”

 

“To meet Gikwang’s father.”

 

I frowned. “Gikwang’s father?” I asked. “Why?”

 

Aegi smiled. “I’ll explain it later,” she said then put her car keys back to her pocket. “Let’s go.” She turned and walked toward the gate.

 

"But I must warn you not to say anything about Gikwang's condition," Aegi said as she stopped in the front of the gate.

 

I nodded and she pressed the intercom button on side of the gate.

 

“Yes? Lee Family’s house.” A woman voice was heard from the intercom.

 

Aegi smiled as she recognized the voice. “It’s Shin Aegi, Mrs. Lee. How are you?”

 

“Ah…” It seemed that the woman recognized Aegi since I heard that her voice became friendlier. She sounded excited to hear Aegi’s voice. “I’m fine. It has been a long time since I saw you. How are you? Still working at KSTF?”

 

Aegi slightly chuckled. “Yes, I am, Mrs. Lee,” she said. “But is Dr. Lee home? I need to see him and speak with him, Mrs. Lee.”

 

“Ah, he’s home, he’s home. I’ll open the gate so you can come in.”

 

Then the gate clicked open. Aegi looked at the gate and pushed it wider. She looked at me.

 

“Come on,” she said then walked in.

 

I followed her to the house. “You know Gikwang’s family?” I asked Aegi as we walked across the yard.

 

“Gikwang’s father was my forensic mentor,” she said then stopped at the front door.

 

The door was opened from inside and revealed a middle age woman with a friendly smile on her face. Aegi smiled when she saw the woman.

 

“Hello, Mrs. Lee,” she said as she moved forward to give the woman an embrace.

 

“Ah, you’re still pretty,” the woman said as Aegi moved apart. “Still no man that attracts you?”

 

Aegi chuckled shyly when she heard it. “No,” she replied. “I guess I’ll be single forever.”

 

But somehow in my mind, I was blaming Doojoon for it. Aegi was busy bickering with Doojoon so no man would come near her.

 

“Ah, this is one of Gikwang’s team mates, Jang Hyunseung.” Aegi introduced me so I bowed politely to the woman.

 

“Hello, I’m Jang Hyunseung,” I introduced my self.

 

“Hello, I’m Gikwang’s mother,” she said with friendly tone then looked at Aegi. “So, what brings you here?”

 

Before Aegi could answer the question, we heard a terrifying scream from the top floor. Mrs. Lee turned and looked surprise when she heard it. I and Aegi looked at each other spontaneously. She quickly went in to the house and went up to the second floor. I followed her.

 

When we arrived at the second floor, we saw the maid was shaking in fear on the front of one door. Aegi took out her gun and went to the door quickly. I also took out my own gun. I saw Aegi arrived at the door. Her eyes became wider and she cursed before went in to the room. The light went on. But when I arrived on the door, I understood why the maid looked terrified and Aegi cursed.

 

Lee Kwang Soo was hanging on the mid air of his working room with a rope around his neck. A stool was on falling position beneath his feet as if it was kicked to fall. His lips had become blue because lacking of air. It seemed that he had been on the position for some times. But the bottom line was...

 

He has died.

 

 

From Author:

Another update~ hehehe~ If ideas flow out from my mind, I can update daily... I swear~ ^^

Anyway, if you don't know what scalpel is *I mentioned it on the previous chapter and I made typo by writing it as scapel*, Scalpel is a small straight knife with a thin sharp blade that used in surgery or dissection.

If you have twitter account, please feel free to follow me on @AFFalize_sakura.

Thank you for subscribing, reading and commenting to this fic~ I hope you enjoy it~