Chapter 5

One Great Escapade

Author's Note: (Apologies)

I apologize in advance for this chapter. It's not as good or as funny as the previous chapters. I was planning on doing a double update but since I caught a cold, I am not feeling that well since Monday. Anyway, here's an update.


“Playtime is going to be over soon.” Sanghyuk told Hongbin as the two of them were inside the ‘hangout’. There was no clock around but Sanghyuk was not a genius for no reason. “We only have a few minutes and Nurse Park is so annoying. We’re running out of excuses.” He complained to Hongbin.

Nurse Park kept on checking on them almost every two minutes. Of course, they used the excuse that Hakyeon was using the toilet and all. But they had to add more exaggerated reasons like Jaehwan was having stomach cramps because it was that time of the month. Nurse Park almost saw-through their plans but was reminded that she was in a mental hospital so a dog-like guy having cramps was not very impossible.

Hongbin let out a sigh. “I know. Those crazy people should get their here as fast as they can.” He said as if he was actually normal. “If I wasn’t framed, I wouldn’t be here at all. I’ll stay awesome and free.” He added, dramatically shaking his head, closing his eyes, and pinching his temples in a slow motion. “The mirror in my bathroom probably misses me so much. Why do people have to be so jealous of the handsome me? Oh, right. It’s because I am so perfect.”

I like you and I respect you, hyung. But it’s not believable that they just framed you because you’re handsome. Sanghyuk thought to himself. However, he nodded his head to avoid any possible arguments. “Well, me too. If not for my tactlessness and for my obsession of gopchang, I wouldn’t be stuck in here. I wouldn’t have this big problem. Aish…” He ruffled his hair in annoyance.

Hongbin nodded his head as if to agree with Sanghyuk’s words. Hyukkie, I feel bad because you look so innocent and honest while saying that but I just don’t trust you. “Right.” Hongbin muttered.

“The two of you are still here and the four others are missing. Sounds suspicious, no?” Nurse Park suddenly appeared. As usual, she had that annoyed expression on her face and it was enough to scare the two boys but at the same time, annoy the hell out of them.

“Why is she here again?” Sanghyuk quietly whined to Hongbin but forced himself to smile at the old nurse.

Hongbin looked at Nurse Park. “Why are you so concerned about them? They’re grown men. Taekwoon hyung and Wonshik aren’t even troublesome. Wonshik doesn’t like creating troubles while Taekwoon hyung doesn’t even speak.” He pointed out.

“I’m not worried about those two. But Hakyeon and Jaehwan are completely troublesome! I already told you that Hakyeon gifted nurses and other patients so cockroaches. Who knows what Jaehwan can do?” Nurse Park stated, looking much angrier.

“She’s got a point.” Hongbin whispered to Sanghyuk. If he were the nurse, he would also worry a lot. Hakyeon and Jaehwan could probably set the whole hospital on fire if they were bored. But then, Hongbin knew that the two would only want to escape, and not cause troubles – not sure about the last part but Hongbin was hoping that they would not cause any troubles. “But you cannot be too sure of that. You cannot judge people!” Hongbin told Nurse Park, trying to sound as confident as possible. Even if you got a point and even when what you said is actually true, he wanted to add so badly.

“Please go now, Nurse Park. We’re sure that they’ll come back soon. Don’t worry too much. It will give you wrinkles. You’ll look even older.” Sanghyuk commented, earning himself a glare.

“I’ll be back later.” Nurse Park said through gritted teeth before leaving.

“She’s scary. The others should come back as soon as possible.” Hongbin said, sighing once again. He felt like he already aged ten years older just by staying in the mental hospital.

“Let’s just hope that the other hyungs would come back right away and that they have never forgotten why they’re there for.” Sanghyuk pursed his lips after speaking, worried for the older males.

“And that they’re not playing around or causing any troubles right now.” Hongbin muttered.

 

“That looks like you, Wonshik!” Jaehwan told Wonshik, pointing at an innocent caterpillar who was just passing by them. Sadly, no matter how Hongbin and Sanghyuk hoped, Jaehwan and Wonshik were a bit distracted. Wonshik just released Jaehwan from the leash a few seconds ago yet the older guy was already very hyper, jumping here and there and conversing with different insects. He even imitated a worm – which was strange because Wonshik had never heard worms make a sound before. (Or was it because worms don’t make any sound?) The airhead Wonshik did not really care, anyway. Then, he barked for no reason. Right, there was a reason. He was a dog, after all.

“No, it looks like you, hyung.” Wonshik denied, even shaking his head in the process. “Ah! We cannot be distracted right now. We have to do our task and finish it as soon as possible.” He reminded Jaehwan.

As if he just remembered, Jaehwan looked at Wonshik. “Ah, right!” He exclaimed, starting to walk. Wonshik followed him but they both stopped. Jaehwan turned to the younger boy. “What are we supposed to do again?” He sheepishly asked, scratching his head. He totally forgot about their task.

“Aish, this hyung.” Wonshik moaned, sounding annoyed. “We’re supposed to… uh… to…” He also scratched his head. What were they supposed to do again? It was not like he listened Hakyeon’s instructions anyway. Hey! You could not blame him for his attention span that was lower than the floor! “I don’t really remember.” He admitted.

“Uh-huh.” Jaehwan nodded. He could not blame Wonshik for he, too, had an attention span smaller than an ant’s. “O-o-ottokaji*?” He asked, trying so hard to act cute. “Ottokaji? Ottokaji? O-o-o-ottokaji?” He started singing in a tune that he randomly came up with.

[*Ottokaji (오또카지) means ‘what to do’ or ‘what do I do’. As far as I know, it’s not even a real word and just a shorten version of 어떻게 하지 (eottohkehaji). It’s Ken or Jaehwan’s way of being cute. Starlights or fans of VIXX often hear him say it.]

Wonshik looked at Jaehwan weirdly but unknowingly started to sing along as well. “Ottokaji? Ottokaji? O-o-o-ottokaji?” It was weird how he sang it in a deep voice. But since it was a mental hospital and normal to see crazy people, no one judged him.

Jaehwan scrunched his nose. “Seriously though, what do we do?” He asked. It was not that he was afraid of Hakyeon, it was that Sanghyuk seemed strong enough to flip them over. He proved that Sanghyuk was a descendant of Satan when the boy stole Taekwoon’s boxer. That’s a pretty badass thing to do, you know?

“Ah!” Wonshik, who was in daze while staring at Jaehwan’s nose, exclaimed. “I remember now!” He added. “You’re the guy from the playground. I knew that your nose is very familiar!” He sounded so proud of himself because he remembered.

Jaehwan grinned at Wonshik. “You just found out? It’s nice seeing you here!”

“Wait, you recognized me?” Wonshik asked, sounding so confused as he pointed to himself.

Jaehwan nodded his head. “Yes. You look like a worm so I remember you.” He bluntly stated. That statement almost offended Wonshik but Jaehwan spoke again. “Hey, wanna play ‘Catch the Mouse’ game*?” He asked. “I want to try it in different versions!

[*Explanation in the author’s note.]

Wonshik nodded his head, completely forgetting about what Jaehwan just said about his face and about the task that they were originally supposed to do. “Sure!” He nodded. The two of them then settled on the floor and started playing. “Let’s catch the mouse! Let’s catch the mouse!” They chanted together.

 

Sadly – it was sad for Hongbin and Sanghyuk, at least – Taekwoon and Hakyeon were not focusing as well. Hakyeon just stopped crying yet he was already very hyper. He was pretty much distracted by the different things found inside the storage room, completely forgetting his purpose for going there. “Oh, look! A handcuffs!” Hakyeon pointed out, showing Taekwoon a handcuff that he found. “This must be Mr. Shin’s. The old man used to be a cop.” He said, referring to another patient.

Taekwoon did not respond. He had no idea how Hakyeon even found out another patient’s occupation but he was not interested in finding out. Hakyeon was not only a con-artist and/or a thief in his past life, he was also a stalker. Heck, Taekwoon wouldn’t even be surprised if Hakyeon was supposedly Jack the ripper or Robin Hood in his past life. He had already forgotten escaping from the mental hospital. In his mind, escaping from Hakyeon became more important.

“This is Sanghyuk’s file, Wonshik’s file—he dated 105 girls before?” Hakyeon gasped in surprise as he was busy reading the files about the other patients. “Where is yours, Taekwoon?” He asked, looking for Taekwoon’s file but only earned a glare from the boy.

“Let’s go back.” Taekwoon said, heaving a sigh. He felt like if he had to stay with Hakyeon a few more minutes, he would have to stay in a mental hospital forever and he wouldn’t like that because it meant staying with Hakyeon forever.

“Fine.” Hakyeon huffed. “But let’s bring the handcuffs with us. This is my first time seeing such thing in real life and they look so cool!” He showed off the handcuffs. “The kids will love this.” He added, speaking like a mother of young kids.

“Whatever.” Taekwoon rolled his eyes, exiting the storage room. Yup, he had completely forgotten what he was there for and so did Hakyeon.

 

“Wonshik hyung, did you check how many nurses and guards are downstairs? And Hakyeon hyung, where’s map of the place?” Sanghyuk excitedly asked when the other four arrived. He thought that he would be able to get out of the place already and come back to his normal cozy life.

“Oh, so that’s what we’re supposed to do.” Wonshik, Jaehwan, and Hakyeon said at the same time in realization. Though they tried to sound and look like it, they weren’t even a bit sorry. They looked happy with whatever they had done. Taekwoon, who chose to keep quiet, had his eyes widened. It was as if he just remembered. Sanghyuk and Hongbin both let out a disappointed sigh.

“Aish! Hyungs! You guys are supposed to do something so that we will be able to escape.” Sanghyuk could not help but to whine out loud. “Hakyeon hyung, that’s your plan so how come you also forgot?”

“Hold your horses, young man.” Hakyeon scolded Sanghyuk with his hands on his hips – totally being a mom. “I even brought a gift for you! Ta-dah!” He showed the others the handcuffs that he stole from the storage room. “This is a handcuff of one of the patients who used to be a policeman. Cool, huh?”

“It’s cool!” Jaehwan, who was always amazed, chimed in, looking at the handcuff as if they just found a treasure that Captain Hook was after. “Did you get it from the storage room, hyung?” He asked and Hakyeon nodded his head proudly in reply. “Woah…” Jaehwan looked even more amazed.

Hongbin was amused because of the scene that unfolded in front of him. “It’s amusing and all. But hyung, what are you going to use it for? A bracelet?” He joked and as if to prove his point, he jokingly put one handcuff on Hakyeon’s wrist. Click. His eyes widened when the handcuff locked on Hakyeon’s wrist.

“Hongbin, there’s no—” Taekwoon’s words were cut off when he felt something cold around his wrist. “No… keys.” He continued in a softer voice, staring at his wrist in horror. He was stuck... with Hakyeon and that was not a good thing. He looked up and saw the terrified reaction of the five – Hakyeon’s looked the most terrified. “Go and look for the ing keys!” He hollered and so, the four kids ran away.

 

“What do we do? Why did I even do that?” Hongbin hit his own head, regretting what he did. He did not know what happened. When he realized that the other end of the cuffs was around Taekwoon’s wrist, it was already too late. Due to that fact, it felt like he had dug his own grave.

The four of them arrived in the storage room with the help of Sanghyuk’s name. Since the nurses knew that Sanghyuk’s parents funded the hospital, they let the boy do what he pleased – much to Nurse Park’s annoyance. The four boys were quite lucky since the old nurse was nowhere to be found or they would not be able to enter the storage room – at least without an hour or two of nagging.

Sanghyuk held Hongbin’s hand to stop Hongbin from hitting himself. “It’s okay, hyung.”

“Yeah, it’s okay, Hongbin.” Wonshik assured Hongbin. “At least it’s Taekwoon hyung who’s stuck with Hakyeon hyung and not us. That fact is good enough.” He added. “For the meantime, I think Hakyeon hyung would shut his mouth.”

“Either that, or he won’t shut up and Taekwoon hyung would wish that he or Hakyeon hyung were dead. Personally, I think that’s most likely. Hakyeon hyung knows no limit.” Sanghyuk snorted.

“Guys!” The almost-forgotten Jaehwan called out. “I found some keys!” He showed them several keys. It was amazing how he remembered that with his short attention span but at least he did something about it.

“Great.” Hongbin commented. “Let’s just bring all of those then. And then, let’s try to see what will fit the handcuff.” He suggested. Wonshik and Jaehwan both nodded. So, the three of them started walking to leave the storage room together, bringing the keys with them.

“Wait, hyungs!” Sanghyuk stopped the four. “Why don’t we let the two of them be stuck with each other for a day or two? Let’s just see who’ll die first, okay?” He grinned. Indeed, that was expected of the direct relative of Satan, Han Sanghyuk. He was an evil genius, after all.

The other three looked at each other before grinning. They liked Sanghyuk’s idea. That boy was not an evil genius and descendant of Hades for nothing.


Author's Note: 

How's chapter 5? Not that funny, I knowa. But stay tuned! I might do double updates next week if I'm feeling better. Also I don't really check the font so please tell me if the font looks ugly or unreadable. Thanks! ^^

Special thanks to all those who commented. And to those who upvoted, marlia91, LeeJi98, Karenkitty1092, Taotic, and Sweatervest_Suhothank you so much! It means a lot to me.

[*Catch the Mouse game is a hand game in Korea. The whole game starts with a certain chant. When the first person names a number 1-5, the game begins. Every player down the line will respond with a "catch" or "pass/miss". And silently, each player counts how many catches there are (up to the number named). When the the number of catches named is reached, everybody goes "Manse!" (mon-say) meaning Hurrah! and whoever messed up the beat of it gets whacked on the head by the two surrounding players. - http://hanakiwi.blogspot.com/2008/02/lets-catch-mouse.html]