Chaper 11

One Great Escapade

“I will do anything! Just make him stay away from me.” Taekwoon begged to Sanghyuk, Hongbin, Jaehwan, and Wonshik when he was able to escape from Hakyeon’s clinginess. The four boys were playing a game in the middle of the hallway so it was not very hard for Taekwoon to find them. “He has been clinging to me for days. Spare me.” He complained but the other four guys just watched him in amusement. It was not every day that you would see someone like Taekwoon begging as if his life depended on it.

“You’re the one who talked to him first.” Wonshik pointed out. “Because of that, Jaehwan hyung won the bet and I was forced to buy a gopchang for Sanghyuk. Hyung, you should have just left Hakyeon hyung alone.” He huffed. Taekwoon was not even surprised. Wonshik had been hanging around the evil Sanghyuk so it seemed normal for him to be evil as well.

Taekwoon ignored Wonshik’s comments and only focused on Hongbin and Sanghyuk—the evilest of all evil duos. “Look, it all started because of the two of you. Do something about it.”

“Why are you blaming us?” Hongbin snapped even though he knew that it was partly—if not entirely—his fault. “We’re not at fault. We’re innocent.” He added, sassily. “We did not tell Hakyeon hyung to cling onto you like a maniac. In conclusion, it’s not our fault.”

“It was our fault, I admit.” Sanghyuk spoke up so Hongbin stared at him, feeling betrayed. “It was Hongbin hyung who accidentally caused the handcuffs incident. Then, it was me who told them to let you and Hakyeon hyung stay together for a longer time. It was also us who locked you guys up.” Sanghyuk confessed. For a moment, he seemed like a kind obedient kid. “But the one who cooed and tried so hard to comfort Hakyeon hyung, the one who kept on clinging to him until he stopped crying…was you, Taekwoon hyung! So, you have no right to blame us.” He grinned evilly then high-fived Hongbin.

“Taekwoonie!” Hakyeon’s loud voice echoed throughout the whole sixth floor. Taekwoon looked terrified when he heard that voice. He was contemplating on whether to hide behind the other boys or just jump out of the building through the nearest window which, unfortunately, was locked. “I’ve been looking for you everywhere!” Hakyeon whined, clinging onto Taekwoon. “Why did you run away?”

Taekwoon tried to use his eyes to ask the other four guys for help but they just grinned at him like some evil maniacs they were. They enjoyed the scene and commotion more than they should. But Taekwoon felt the opposite. He detested it so much. He never thought that his hatred for Hakyeon could be even bigger and deeper than it already was. He struggled to escape from Hakyeon’s iron grip to no avail.

“What are you boys doing?” Nurse Park arrived, holding a broom and a mop. “Are you up to something bad once again? How will you able to leave right away if you keep on being weird!” She hissed. More than anyone else, she was the one who really wanted the six guys to leave. How she wished that they would stop acting crazy for a while then leave the place. After that, they could do whatever they wanted, Nurse Park would not care, even a little. “Out of all the people I have dealt with in this place, you are the worst.”

“See, Hakyeon hyung? She’s describing you.” Wonshik pointed out to Hakyeon, earning himself a hit from the latter who did not seem to be pleased because of his words. Taekwoon was able to breathe properly for a moment because Hakyeon finally let go of him.

“Are you going to clean the hospital?” Jaehwan asked upon noticing the cleaning tools that Nurse Park was carrying. He quietly wondered how an old lady would be able to clean the place all by herself—or perhaps with the help of a few other nurses. “Are they paying you extra for that, Grandma Park?” He asked in a voice of a little kid.

Wonshik chuckled. “Ah, so cute.” Being the number one fanboy of Jaehwan, he pinched Jaehwan’s cheeks.

“Yes, I’m going to—” Nurse Park cut herself off as an idea flashed her mind. With an evil grin, she looked at each one of the six voice. “Actually, I am going to ask you to clean.” The boys frowned upon hearing that. “The six of you should prove that your mentality is already fine, right? If you have a good mental health, you would be able to handle this little cleaning task.”

“But, honestly, you just want us to do your job for you, right?” Sanghyuk innocently asked.

Nurse Park narrowed her eyes at the youngest. She had always thought that the college student was way too smart and too bright for his own good. She did not like him—but her hatred towards him was not as big as her hatred towards Jaehwan and Hakyeon. “Don’t accuse me. Just tell me if you don’t want to do it. If you don’t want to, I am going to tell Dr. Choi how the six of you are still not improving. His next consultation is fast approaching. I wonder how many more months would be added for you.”

The guys—except for Wonshik—gulped, hearing what the old nurse had said. They still wanted to leave the mental hospital and to do that, they would need to have a permission from the doctor. That way, they would not have to escape. It sounded so sweet, they just had to bite the bait!

“We’ll clean!” The five boys exclaimed all together while Wonshik just stared at them blankly. He wondered why the five were too desperate to get out to the point that they were willing to clean the hospital. He thought that sleep was much better than any of those—he was certainly a bum for an obvious reason.

“Since there are six of you, group yourselves into two and I’ll give you tasks.” Nurse Park commanded, feeling accomplished because of what she had just done.

Wonshik furrowed his eyebrows. “Why am I included?” He asked, defensively while pointing at himself. “I never said that I want to do it. I won’t do it.” He said with finality. “I don’t care anymore if I get out of this place or not, I just don’t want to clean.” He added because he did not want to leave the place with free food, board, and lodging in the first place.

“Do it or you will find yourself outside of the mental hospital tomorrow.” Nurse Park stated. Wonshik could only wonder if the nurse were a con artist before—perhaps, she and Hakyeon were best of friends in their past lives. Then, that would explain every single thing for Wonshik. Nurse Park and Hakyeon were almost the same—with Hakyeon being a little more annoying than the old nurse.

“I’ll do it. I said that I will do it willingly.” Wonshik raised his hands as if surrendering.

“Then, it’s settled.” Hakyeon clasped his hands together. He turned to Taekwoon, grinning widely. “Taekwoonie—” He was cut off when Taekwoon rushed pass him to grab Hongbin who happened to be standing nearby. “What? You want to pair up with Hongbin?” Hakyeon asked, taken aback—no one knew why he was even surprised to know that Taekwoon chose another person over him though.

“But Hongbin hyung is my partner!” Sanghyuk groaned but Taekwoon’s grip on Hongbin’s wrist only tightened. Taekwoon’s eyes pierced into Sanghyuk and the poor boy actually felt a bit frightened. He knew that it was his and Hongbin’s fault after all. “Fine!” Sanghyuk huffed, grabbing Jaehwan with him because he did not want to be paired up with Hakyeon. “I will take Jaehwan hyung with me!” Though noisy, Jaehwan was better than Hakyeon because he was just noisy while Hakyeon was noisy and annoying.

Wonshik glared at Sangghyuk. “Hey! Jaehwan hyung is mine!” He protested. He involuntarily shiver when Hakyeon grinned at him. “Ah! Just give me anyone but Hakyeon hyung and I would be forever grateful.” Wonshik told the others but he knew that no one would do so because no one wanted to be in Hakyeon’s team because that would meant suffering. And no one wanted to suffer because of Hakyeon.

Hakyeon gave Wonshik a look. “What are you saying now?” He asked in a sweet voice. “We will make a great team. We will be the best cleaners in South Korea or even in whole Asia!” He told Wonshik as if it would help the latter calm down.

“Can I do it alone?” Wonshik asked Nurse Park, ignoring Hakyeon’s babbling. “I work well alone and I am going to prove you that. I can even clean this whole place alone!” He insisted.

Nurse Park shook her head. “Nice try, Mr. Kim Wonshik. I know that you would just sleep if you’re alone. At least you would have someone to tell you not to sleep.” She replied. “Also, leaving Mr. Cha alone is like letting a wild animal roam around the city without someone taking care of it. It means chaos and more trouble! Now, don’t complain and do your job.”

“Technically, this is not our job.” Hongbin pointed out, his sass was coming out. The thought of cleaning the hospital gave him wrinkles. How could he, a very handsome artwork, clean a mental hospital? He might have to clean the toilet too! That would not fit his handsome face. Could you imagine a work of art scrubbing the toilet bowl with a cheap brush? No, right? Hongbin could not imagine himself doing that either. “This is your job that you want to pass to us.” He added. “It would give me wrinkles. Just let Taekwoon hyung help out Hakyeon hyung and Wonshik.” He said, earning himself a hit from Taekwoon.

Nurse Park raised an eyebrow. “Choose one: to clean the hospital and have a chance to get out of this place with or without wrinkles, or to not clean and not leave the hospital where you will have even more wrinkles? Soon enough, your dimples would vanish too.”

Hongbin gulped, not knowing how to reply. It was a hard question, to be honest. Why so? It was because both options included having wrinkles. He did not like the thought. After taking good care of his face, he could not just let the wrinkles to ruin it. That was like ruining his own life. Weighing the options, he realized that the first option was more pleasing in a way. “Fine.” He sighed. “I choose the first one. I will clean.”

“Good. Now, go and assign places to clean for yourselves. Be sure to clean properly.” After giving the boys a one last glare, Nurse Park walked away—away from the boys and away from her own responsibilities.

Jaehwan, who was frowning the whole time, spoke up. “Why are we going to clean? She is just escaping from her job, isn’t she? Is Grandma Park too old to even clean?” He asked. Then, his face brightened up upon realizing something. “Oh, maybe, she is! We should just think of it as doing a charity for elder people. We help her clean and then, later, we will help the gardener plant. We start one person at a time. Soon enough, people would start following us and our deeds. Years later, we will have a statue next to Sejong, the great!” He looked pass the other boys, looking very dreamy.

“What is he saying again?” Hongbin asked, looking confused and dumbfounded.

“I agree with him!” Hakyeon seconded Jaehwan’s idea that was very unique. “We should do what he said. After the gardener, we will help the security guard. And then, many other people!” He high-fived Jaehwan.

Sanghyuk sighed. “Why don’t the two of you just be partners?” He asked then he blinked for a few times. “On the second thought, Wonshik hyung should suffer with Hakyeon hyung. It will be a funny sight to see.” He mumbled but loud enough for Wonshik to hear.

“Hey!” Wonshik narrowed his eyes at the evil youngest boy. “I won’t have to suffer when I don’t want to.”

Sanghyuk shrugged his shoulders, not minding what Wonshik was saying. “Anyway, why don’t we look at the positive side of all these?” He asked, making the others look at him curiously. “You see, Nurse Park just unknowingly gave us a chance to escape! We can all start by looking around and then, if it is safe to escape, we just escape. Let’s forget about the things we have inside our rooms. Escaping is the most important thing right now, right? So, let’s do it!” He urged the other boys.

Taekwoon nodded his head in agreement. He wanted to escape too so he agreed with Sanghyuk. He no longer wanted to deal with the clingy Hakyeon, the noisy Jaehwan, the lazy Wonshik, the narcissistic Hongbin, and the evil Sanghyuk. “Let’s formulate a plan and get this over with.” He muttered, accepting all the risks that he had to take. It was much better than staying.

“Should we change the pairings?” Wonshik asked, hoping to be separated from Hakyeon’s deadly clinginess—his hands were made of steel, Superman should start worrying about his title. But at that moment, Wonshik decided to stop thinking about Superman and start worrying about himself.

Sanghyuk paused to watch Wonshik’s expectant expression. He found it very interesting. It would be very funny for an evil person like him. He pretended to think, even tapping his chin for a better acting. “Nope.” He shook his head, grinning. “I think I like the pairings now. I and Jaehwan hyung work quite well together. Hongbin hyung and Taekwoon hyung seem like they would make a great team.”

Hongbin gave Sanghyuk a look but it only lasted for a split second. On the brighter side, as long as it was not Hakyeon, Hongbin knew that he would do just fine. “Yeah, I agree with Sanghyuk.” He half-heartedly agreed, not forgetting his role as Sanghyuk’s number one supporter. “Let’s finish this as soon as we can.” He added. “Sanghyuk, do you have a plan in mind?” He asked.

Sanghyuk shrugged his shoulders. “To be totally honest, I don’t really have a great plan in my great mind. But I have an idea. First, let us all look for the safe exits while pretending to clean. Let’s distract Nurse Park too. Then, after an hour, we’ll meet at the hangout to talk about our great plan.” He stated. “I’m pretty sure that by then, we’d be able to succeed. We would finally be able to get out of this interesting place.”

“If you like this hospital in the first place, why try to escape?” Jaehwan asked, making the other guys look at him in surprise. It was probably his first time asking such a question—a question that made sense, that was. “What?” Jaehwan asked, tilting his head to the side cutely.

“So cute.” Wonshik muttered, trying to walk towards Jaehwan but failed because Hakyeon was clinging onto his arms. Wonshik could only groan in frustration. He had always been a nice person to everyone, a caring brother, and a kind son in his own way. Just what exactly did he do to deserve Cha Hakyeon?

 

“Hyung, Sanghyuk told us to go and look for an exit while pretending to clean, not to cling to each other!” Wonshik tiredly pointed out. He was holding a broom on his left hand and a mop on his right. To make things more difficult, Hakyeon was clinging onto his right arm like a lost little koala—which was supposedly cute but it really wasn’t. “Ah… this hyung is giving me migraines.” He massaged his own head. He needed sleep and he wanted it. But the person clinging onto his arm was not being very helpful at all.

Hakyeon made a face upon hearing what Wonshik said. He let go of the arm of Wonshik—much to the latter’s relief and happiness. “Hey! What do you mean by that? Why would I be the cause of your migraines?” Hakyeon asked as if he did not already know, he was even narrowing his eyes accusingly.

“Hyung, why ask when you already know the answer?” Wonshik irritably asked. “Do you like getting hurt? Do you like pain so much?” He added more sarcastic questions.

Without hesitation, Hakyeon hit Wonshik. “How dare you talk to me like that? I am older than you!” He pointed out as if he was not clinging onto Wonshik like a little kid a few seconds ago. Hakyeon should totally be an actor—perhaps, he should act with Jaehwan. But then, Wonshik would protect Jaehwan from Hakyeon even though it was not necessary.

An idea then popped into Wonshik’s mind. He knew befriending a devil would someday save him! He was suddenly grateful because of all people, he was friends with an evil genius named Sanghyuk. “Ah, hyung, I have an idea.” Wonshik told Hakyeon, changing the topic. “Why don’t we go on our separate ways for a few moment?” He suggested when Hakyeon looked at him curiously.

“Nice try, Kim Wonshik. But you could never get rid of me that way.” Hakyeon smugly replied.

“Figures.” Wonshik muttered under his breath. “But hyung, this is the best way! We can find a way to get out of this place faster this way. You take the right route, I take the left. We will meet here in the middle after several minutes then we will head back together. That’s the best plan.”

“What kind of plan is that?” Hakyeon asked, looking at Wonshik suspiciously. “You are just going to sleep, aren’t you?” He crossed his arms, his judging expression never left his face.

Wonshik gulped. He was caught. He knew he should have trained harder under Sanghyuk and Hongbin’s supervision. “No, hyung.” He denied. “I’m just thinking of ways how to escape this nightmare.” He explained. When he said nightmare, he did not mean the hospital, he meant being paired with Hakyeon. But the latter did not have to know that or he would cling onto Wonshik even more.

“Then, let’s escape together.” Hakyeon said it as if it was the most obvious thing. “I don’t like being alone. Being alone is sad and heartbreaking. It’s just like being abandoned by Leo once again. Do you know how much it hurts?” He asked dramatically. He was almost tearing up once again. He just became really sensitive when it came to Leo.

Wonshik just stared at him weirdly—as if the former had never witnessed or heard Jaehwan’s much weirder monologues. He suddenly thought that it was a good opportunity to offend the older guy but then, he also thought that instead of trying to offend Hakyeon, he should just help the older guy to escape. If Hakyeon were to leave, Wonshik would have one less problem.


Author's Note: (Next update...?)

Do you want the next chapter to be a special chapter? I really miss Leo the cockroach's appearances. xD

Anyway, I will update the week after next week (even though it is a hell week for me OTL). Please write a comment and tell me what you think of the story~!

Special thanks to all those who commented. And to those who upvoted, marlia91, LeeJi98, Karenkitty1092, Taotic, Sweatervest_Suho, hongbeann, love_kris, Hala-bear and Zhuchu thank you so much! It means a lot to me.