Chapter 4

One Great Escapade

Author's Note: (Read to avoid confusion)

It's a double update, read chapter 3 first to avoid confusion! Also, no special chapter for now, maybe, next week? 


Tick tock. Tick tock. There was no clock inside the ‘hangout’ nor was there one in the hallway but the clock was ringing in Wonshik’s head, anyway. He was with the other five in their ‘hangout’ but no one was saying a thing. He appeared to be the only excited one. Why? Because he would be able to stay for a few more months, of course! But the other five? They had not said a word since they came out from Dr. Choi’s office. When Hakyeon came back from the doctor’s office, he was crying and talking about Leo whom the others had no idea about. Taekwoon, who came in after Hakyeon, took quite a lot of time inside the office. But he seemed happy when he went to the ‘hangout’ even drinking his coffee. However, things seemed to have sunk in to him when he looked at the others then he started looking so angry. Wonshik eyes then landed on Jaehwan. The boy looked so concentrated as he played with a spider that he named ‘Raken’. It’s a weird name, all right. Wonshik did not know if Jaehwan was sad, happy, or what. It was had figuring Jaehwan out. Wonshik then looked at Hongbin who was staring at a mirror, not saying anything. Sanghyuk, on the other hand, seemed so disappointed for some reason. Wonshik finally concluded that something was wrong.

“So…” Wonshik trailed off. “What now? Why do you all look so depressed? Did something happen?”

“The question is ‘why do you look so happy’, hyung?” Sanghyuk asked Wonshik. “All of us had to stay here for a few more weeks, or months, even. How come you’re happy about that?”

“Sanghyuk, that’s not a way to talk to someone older than you.” Hakyeon scolded Sanghyuk. For some reasons, he would sometimes act like a mother to everyone – a naggy one – much to the others’ annoyance.

“Yes, mom.” Sanghyuk puffed his cheeks cutely, making Hakyeon coo like a mom.

“What is there to be depressed about?” Wonshik asked. Then, he remembered something. Hakyeon would still stay in that place. He hated Hakyeon for a reason that he too was not sure about. “Right, it is pretty depressing.” Wonshik sighed. He wished that there’s a way to escape, or at least a way to make Hakyeon leave. That seemed impossible, though. Hakyeon was crazy. How could that guy get out of the hospital?

“What do we do now?” Taekwoon asked in his usual very soft voice. “I want to leave.”

Everyone kept quiet, not knowing what to do. A smile crept into Hakyeon’s lips. He had obviously thought of something. “I know!” He snapped his fingers. “I thought of something. Sanghyuk’s a genius and for almost three weeks now, he was planning to escape. Let’s use his plan.”

“No! We cannot do that. We cannot escape, hyung.” Sanghyuk told Hakyeon. “If we get caught, we’ll spend more time here and I wouldn’t want that.” He reasoned out. “It will ruin our reputation even more!”

“Let’s not get caught, then! Arf!” Jaehwan suggested, not forgetting to bark like always.

Wonshik laughed and Jaehwan’s chin. “So cute.” He cooed and Jaehwan smiled in return.

“Anyway, we cannot escape and that’s final.” Sanghyuk firmly said, even eyeing each and everyone else.

“I want to escape.” Hongbin told Sanghyuk. “This place is not for me.” He added.

Sanghyuk gulped. He could not say no to Hongbin because the latter helped him to adjust in that place. “Hyung, it’s dangerous. We cannot leave this place. I bet Nurse Park will catch us as soon as we get out.” Sanghyuk pointed out. “It’s impossible. I already computed everything using the quadratic formula but it’s just hard, harder than anyone could imagine. The probability of us getting caught is bigger than not.”

“Don’t speak in an alien language, kid.” Wonshik said. “I don’t even know what a quadratic formula is.”

Hakyeon nodded. “Yes, Sanghyuk, you really have to quit the Mathematical thingy.” He agreed with Wonshik. “Anyway, I think that if we work together, we can come up with one great plan. Plus, Nurse Park will have a hard time catching us. She has an osteoporosis.” He made a face.

“I agree. We can do it if we work together.” Hongbin, for the first time in more than three weeks, agreed with Hakyeon. Hakyeon looked contented and impressed with himself because of that. Taekwoon, on the other hand, nodded his head in agreement to the other two. Jaehwan, as usual, barked and howled in agreement. He seemed pretty pleased.

“I agree too. I don’t want to escape because I like it here but I can help you guys escape.” Wonshik told them. “I am not that smart but I am alert most of the time.” He added. Alert? More like, asleep all the time but the other guys did not say anything just so they would not burst his bubble. It was not the obvious but the others could be really considerate if they wanted to.

Sanghyuk let out a sigh. Forget it. Whether the other five were crazy or not, it should be none of his business. What he should be thinking about was how to escape. The five older guys had a point. Everything would be easier if they all helped each other. “Fine.” Sanghyuk gave in. “But hyungs, I cannot guarantee that my plan would succeed. I don’t know exactly how the building is designed. We cannot even leave this floor. So, how can I make a proper foolproof escape plan?”

Hakyeon smirked. “I know where we can steal a map from. You can trust me with sneaking in and out of the rooms.” He proudly stated. “And then, we can also assign different tasks on everyone. We should go in pairs.” He suggested. “Like, Wonshik and Jaehwan should go around and check how many guards and nurses around here. Hongbin and Sanghyuk, the two of you should go and distract Nurse Park. We’ll die if she catches us. I and Woonie are going to sneak into the room where they store the information.”

“Roger to that.” Hongbin and Sanghyuk high fived each other. Since they were close to one another, going around together would not be much of a burden. Also, they actually liked each other. Not that kind of like, okay? They liked each other as friends. No kidding.

Jaehwan barked happily while Wonshik pumped his fist in the air. The two of them were close as well. Jaehwan was supposedly Hakyeon’s dog, Ken, but he grew closer to Wonshik. He and Hakyeon did not match that well but Jaehwan and Wonshik matched each other like a puzzle.

Opposite to the happy expressions of the others, Taekwoon had a deep frown on his face. “Why am I stuck with Hakyeon, though?” He asked. “And don’t call me ‘Woonie’.” He scowled at Hakyeon.

Hakyeon pulled Taekwoon into a headlock. “Oh, come on, Woonie. I’m sure you like the nickname and I’m sure that you want to be with me. We’re best friends, right?” Taekwoon frowned even deeper at that. He did not even want to be acquaintances with Hakyeon, let alone best friends. “I know that frown. It means, ‘I’m embarrassed so I’m going to act like I don’t like being with Hakyeon’. Am I right?” Hakyeon cooed as if Taekwoon’s message of hatred was not obvious enough.

“Taekwoon hyung is obviously killing Hakyeon hyung using 999,999 ways, chopped him into 683,628 pieces, and threw him into 57,894 different places in his mind.” Jaehwan whispered to Wonshik who nodded in agreement. Jaehwan had no idea how accurate that was. Taekwoon indeed killed Hakyeon using 999,999 ways, chopped him into 683,628 pieces, and threw him into 57,894 different places in Taekwoon’s dark mind. Too bad, doing that was illegal.

“I feel bad for Taekwoon hyung. Hakyeon hyung was a pain in the .” Wonshik whispered back to Jaehwan, staring at Taekwoon who was struggling to remove Hakyeon’s arm. “I bet Taekwoon hyung is feeling dizzy right now. He wants to disappear from the world. Or better, he hopes that Hakyeon hyung can just disappear like a bubble.” He added, still in a whisper. He was damn right but he did not know that. Taekwoon was hoping that he could just disappear or better yet, for Hakyeon to just disappear. If killing were legal, Taekwoon would surely kill Hakyeon first (then maybe, kill the others next. He could not forgive how Sanghyuk had stolen his favorite Batman boxers).

“What are you guys whispering about?” Hongbin asked in curiosity. “Mind sharing?”

“I bet they’re in a secret relationship or something.” Sanghyuk joked. “It’s okay, hyungs, we accept you. We won’t judge you.” He added, snickering together with Hongbin.

Jaehwan barked loudly as if to say that he’s angry while Wonshik just rolled his eyes. All of a sudden, there was a really bad smell – a smell of a fart. “What’s that?” Wonshik groaned, covering his nose.

Hakyeon flared his nose but immediately covered it. “That’s so extreme! Who farted?” He asked the others who were covering their own noses. “It’s not me because I pooped a while ago.”

“Not me either.” The others said almost at the same time. They all gave each other a judging look.

They did not know that outside their ‘hangout’ was Nurse Park who was just passing by right at that moment. She giggled to herself. “Luckily, they did not know that it’s me who farted.” She whispered to herself before continuing on her way with a satisfied smile on her face.

 

“You cannot leave this floor.” A nurse informed Wonshik who was insisting to go to the garden outside. Wonshik had Jaehwan in a leash and dog collar – literally. Don’t ask him where he got that. He also had no idea where Jaehwan stole it from. The dog-like boy was on all fours, really acting like how a dog would usually do. He seemed happy that his dream to be a dog finally came true.

“But my dog has to pee.” Wonshik reasoned out, pointing to Jaehwan. “Do you want him to pee here?” Jaehwan showed the nurse his cutest pout and his puppy eyes. He looked like a child and it was hard to say no to him. But the nurse knew that she should follow the hospital’s policy.

“I’m sorry but I cannot allow you to do so. You can always pee in the comfort room.” The nurse replied.

Wonshik huffed. “Okay. Kennie,” He called Jaehwan using the nickname that Hakyeon randomly gave the latter. “Pee here.” He commanded, pointing to the floor. “Make sure that it gets really wet, okay?”

“Arf!” Jaehwan barked, preparing to really pee in the hallway.

The nurse’s eyes widened in horror. “Stop! Stop!” She exclaimed, obviously panicking. Well, who would like to see someone pee? “Okay, you two can go outside but make it fast. You have only around twenty minutes before the playtime’s over. Get back here as soon as your ‘dog’ is done peeing, okay, Mr. Kim?”

Wonshik grinned happily. “Okay, nurse!” He nodded, tugging Jaehwan’s leash. “Let’s go, Kennie. You have to pee.” He joked before going into the elevator with his ‘dog’.  Upon entering the elevator, the two boys high fived each other. “Have you seen the nurse’s face? She’s baffled!” Wonshik pointed out.

Jaehwan barked. “Yes! It’s too funny. Sanghyuk’s plan really worked.” He laughed. Yes, that’s right. It’s Sanghyuk’s plan, everybody. That guy seemed to be an evil genius. Doofenshmirtz should start working much harder. His title as an evil scientist would be taken away by a twenty-one-year-old evil kid.

Wonshik laughed along but stopped when his eyes landed on Jaehwan’s nose. He furrowed his eyebrows. How could a nose be so familiar? “You know, your nose is really familiar.” He told Jaehwan.

Jaehwan touched his nose. “My nose? Why?” He asked.

Wonshik shrugged his shoulders. “I’m not sure, myself. It’s just, I have seen that nose before.” He replied. The elevator’s door then opened. “Oh, we’re here. Let’s go and do our task as quick as we can.”

Hakyeon made it sound so easy but Hongbin’s and Sanghyuk’s job was really hard. Nurse Park was like an annoying pimple that would not go away. It had only been around five minutes since the other four left but Nurse Park was already wondering where they went. According to her, it’s too quiet without the four around and when it’s quiet, it meant that Hakyeon was up to something. Indeed, she was right. She hit the bull’s eye. But the two would not admit that. Admitting it would be as good as suicide – meaning, no good at all.

“They just went to the room, why are you so concerned?” Hongbin asked Nurse Park. “Hakyeon hyung is not feeling very well. He’s pooping a lot. It’s like waterfalls, you know? It’s pretty intense. You should have seen how much pain he’s in.” He even did those hand movements to make it look so believable.

Nurse Park did not seem a bit amused as she only raised a brow. “Then, where are the other three?” She crossed her arms. “Don’t tell me, they’re pooping as well? What did they even eat to poop like that?”

Sanghyuk and Hongbin gulped, running out of excuses. “W-well…” Sanghyuk stuttered but cleared his throat. “Well, Hakyeon hyung is currently having a hard time so they went to support him. Wonshik hyung was there to give him the tissue papers, Taekwoon hyung was helping him wash his , and Jaehwan hyung…” He trailed off. “Jaehwan hyung was sniffing all the bad odor for him! Right?” He nudged Hongbin who forced a big smile and nodded in agreement.

“That’s right!” Hongbin exclaimed. “The two of us stayed here because we cannot stand the smell and because we hate Hakyeon hyung so much. We have no plans on sacrificing our well-being for him.”

Nurse Park narrowed her eyes at them. “Fine. I believe you but I’ll be back in another five minutes and he should be here. Last time he was gone, he caught several cockroaches and gave them to the nurses and other patients as a gift.” She said before walking away. Both Hongbin and Sanghyuk shivered. The others should come quick because they’re already running out of good excuses.

 

Click. The door opened. Hakyeon looked smugly at Taekwoon. “See? I’m good at it, right?” Hakyeon boasted but Taekwoon only stared at him, not looking one bit impressed. “Can’t you just compliment me or something? Like, ‘Hakyeon, you’re totally good, I’m turning gay.’ Try being nice for once.” Hakyeon nagged to Taekwoon. Taekwoon ignored him and just entered the storage room without a word. “Because we’re friends, I’m going to let you off the hook.” Hakyeon said before following Taekwoon inside.

“Shut up and just look for what we need.” Taekwoon told Hakyeon. If he were to stay with the latter for a longer period of time, he might go insane and finally get tired of living.

Hakyeon smiled widely. “You’re so cold hearted. Plus five points!” He showed Taekwoon his five fingers but received no reaction from the guy. “Bro, you really remind me of Leo.” Hakyeon let out a sigh. “Now, it makes me miss him even more.” Then, he started crying once again much to Taekwoon’s annoyance.


Author's Note: 

I was disappointed with chapter 3 so here is chapter 4 as a payment. I don't know what on Earth was I thinking when I was trying to write the third proper chapter. (No special chapter for now, though. I'll put a special chapter about Taekwoon in a week so stay tuned and comment) ;-)

Like last time, I will also update next week, Wednesday (GMT+8), if I receive 5 comments. If not, I'll update the week after. Thanks for reading and commenting! ^^

Special thanks to all those who commented. And to those who upvoted, marlia91, LeeJi98, Karenkitty1092, Taotic, and Sweatervest_Suhothank you so much! It means a lot to me.