Chapter 2.5

One Great Escapade

Author's Note: (Read to avoid confusion)

This is a special chapter, a filler chapter. This one took place a few weeks/days before the boys got admitted to the mental hospital. This is like a flashback but it does not necessarily mean that the characters are thinking about it.


Jaehwan's Special Chapter

Who was Lee Jaehwan? He was a very famous musical actor, praised for his amazing voice and acting ability. He was also blessed with a tall height, good looks, and a legendary nose. His nose was his best feature, okay? That’s his asset, along with his that would beat that of Kim Kardashian’s. You should have seen him twerk. Miley would be ashamed. Anyway, anyone would wish to be on his position and any woman (or man, it depends on you, Jaehwan wasn’t ist) would want to be his wife. But of course, like any normal person, Jaehwan was not perfect. There were little things that made him a little imperfect.

“Oh, it’s a lizard! I’m going to call him Ravi now!” Jaehwan exclaimed childishly as he watched the lizard. There, that’s one of those little things that made him imperfect. He was extremely childish for his age. He was a cutie so it was still forgivable. But sometimes, it just annoyed everybody!

“Why on Earth Ravi?” One of the stage crews asked Jaehwan in confusion.

“Well, he looks like a Ravi.” Jaehwan replied. The crew could only look at him weirdly before walking away. Everyone probably knew by now that there were some things that they would not be able to understand. It’s probably because the more you try to get to know those things, the crazier you’d get. Jaehwan’s logic was one of those things. Seriously, if someone would try to understand that, good luck to that person because it would mean that he’s about to lose his sanity. By the time someone would finally understand Jaehwan's logic, it was probably the time when time machines are invented.

Jaehwan made a face when the lizard left then he looked around to look for another target. He had nothing better to do, after all. He smiled upon seeing the stage director. He immediately ran towards the said director. “Mr. Park! Mr. Park!” He happily called out.

The director’s face darkened upon seeing Jaehwan. He tried to look for an escape but there was none. All he could do at that moment was to sigh. “No, Mr. Lee Jaehwan. We cannot change the story just to let you portray Romeo as a dog.” He said through gritted teeth. Jaehwan had been bugging him for months – ever since they invited the said actor to take Romeo’s role – about editing the story a little and making Romeo a mysterious dog who could surpass any superheroes.

“Oh, man!” Jaehwan pouted in dismay but his face brightened right away. “How about a pig?” He suggested excitedly. “I can also imitate a pig. Oink! Oink!” He made the weird noises of pigs. “See? It’s good right? If not, then pterodactyl? I can do that too! Aaahhh! ” He suggested, immediately making weird sounds that he believed to be a sound that pterodactyls make. “How about a flower? I can just stand there beside the flowers and the audience will be like—” He held his head dramatically. “They’ll be confused. ‘Where’s the flower? Where is Lee Jaehwan?’” He dramatically asked.

Mr. Park rolled his eyes. He was glad that Jaehwan was an actor, not a writer or a director. If only Jaehwan was not so good, that guy might have banished long ago. “Unlike you who has a lot of time in the world, I have many things to do. So, if you would excuse me, I’ll go first.” He said before walking away.

Jaehwan watched as the director walked away. He made an angry face, glaring at the director’s back who just denied his oh-so-brilliant idea. “What’s so bad with my ideas? It’s not every day that you can hear a refreshing and mind-blowing idea such as these!” He yelled at the director who chose to ignore him. “Dogs are cute though.” He mumbled to himself. “The director must be an animal hater.” He concluded, nodding as if agreeing with himself. He pouted before shrugging and walking away to find something else to do which could also be interpreted as finding someone else to bother.

 

The moment he stepped out of the theater, the cold wind immediately brushed pass his body, making him shiver. “Oh, man! I forgot to bring a thick jacket!” He whined, rubbing his palms together. He put on his mask and cap so that people would not recognize him or it would be crazy. “Forget it, I’m a tough guy. This coldness is nothing.” He nodded to himself. “Should I go to the playground?” He asked himself out loud. If someone were to see him, they would be so sure that he got gone out of his mind. But see if Jaehwan cared. Here’s a hint: he did not care at all!

“It’s cold.” Jaehwan whined like a little kid as he walked. Then, he shook his head and straightened himself, pulling off a straight face. “No, it’s not cold.” He said in a tough voice. “It’s cold.” He whined like a child once again. “No, it’s not cold.” He said in a tough voice. The process continued until he reached the park.

Upon arriving at the park, he noticed that someone was sleeping on the bench. “Tsk…” Jaehwan made a sound of disapproval before walking over to the stranger. It was a guy. He was wearing a hoodie, a cap, and sunglasses. He was snoring like there’s no tomorrow. “This kid is very ‘hip-hop’!” Jaehwan said in a voice of an annoying old lady. Sometimes, it was really hard to tell whether he’s a person with Multiple Personality Disorder, a possessed person, or he was just a great actor. Many would say that it was probably the first two options. “Why is this kid sleeping here? Kids these days are very lazy. All they do is to laze around!” He continued using the same voice. All of a sudden, the snoring stopped.

Jaehwan waited for a few seconds but the stranger did not budge. The latter just had his hands on top of his stomach, laying like a dead person. Then a thought hit Jaehwan. “Did he pass away?” Jaehwan gasped. He immediately fished his phone from his pocket, immediately dialing a number. “Hello? Funeral homes?” He said over the phone. “Yes, there’s a dead body here.” He explained. As if on cue, the stranger suddenly sat up, looking lost though Jaehwan could not be too sure because the stranger was wearing a sunglasses. “Oh, forget it. The dead body came to life. Talk to you later.” Jaehwan said over the phone, ignoring the cursing and swearing person from the other line because of Jaehwan’s disturbance. It was not the first time that Jaehwan called actually. There were times when Jaehwan would ask them to give a funeral for some random flies and mosquitos.

“Where’s the dead body?” The stranger asked Jaehwan in his amazingly deep voice. He had this extremely deep voice that made him seem like he came from a cave.

“It’s alive now.” Jaehwan replied, pushing the stranger a bit so he could also sit on the bench. “What’s up, dude? Why are you sleeping here?” He asked but was quickly distracted when he saw a cockroach. “Oh, look! It’s a cockroach! I’ll call him Leo now.”

The stranger probably looked at Jaehwan weirdly but Jaehwan would never know because the stranger was wearing sunglasses. “Why Leo?” The stranger asked, his voice was even deeper because he was confused.

“The cockroach is charismatic so I’ll name him Leo.” Jaehwan explained. “You did not answer my question. Why are you sleeping here? Are you homeless? Are you a bum?”

“I’m not a homeless, at least not yet. I’m just staying here to reduce the bills.” The stranger replied. “If I were to stay here, I wouldn’t have to pay electric and water bills, would I? As expected, my mind is great.”

“Why don’t you go off somewhere where you wouldn’t have to pay? That way, you can have a free board and lodging. Maybe you’ll get free food too!” Jaehwan suggested. The stranger stopped and thought for a while. “See? I’m smarter than you.”

“A place like that does not exist. In your fantasies, maybe, but not in real life.” The stranger pointed out.

“Yes, it does!” Jaehwan defended. “Prisons, duh? Go and commit a crime then go to jail. You’ll have free board, lodging, and free food too. Plus, you’ll meet new friends there.”

The stranger chuckled. “No, that can’t do. I cannot damage my family’s name. My younger sister will be very embarrassed to say that her brother is a prisoner.” He shook his head. “Nope. I can’t do it.”

“Public hospital?” Jaehwan suggested. “There’s free board, lodging, and free food. If you’re lucky, there’s a pretty nurse. If you’re not lucky, there’s none. But hey, at least you got free things.”

“That sounds cool but wouldn’t the doctors find out right away if I fake a sickness?” The stranger asked.

Jaehwan wagged his finger. “No, no. You wouldn’t have to fake one. Just go and lie down on the road or at the subway station. You can go to the hospital right away after that, after you get hit. Problem solved, right?” He explained like it was the most obvious thing in the world and as if it was something that a person in his right mind would think of. Well, apparently, Jaehwan was not in his right mind.

“And if I die? I just don’t want to pay bills but I want to live.” The stranger said. “I thought you’re smart.”

Jaehwan kept quiet for a moment before clasping his hands together. “Ah! I know! Why don’t you go to a mental hospital instead? The public one? You can just pretend to be crazy then you can stay there for free! You can sleep there all you want.”

“You’re a genius!” The stranger said. “I shall do that. Thank you so much!” He thanked Jaehwan before running away, perhaps to go and admit himself to the nearest mental hospital. He looked so happy with Jaehwan's suggestion.

“No need to thank me! Good luck!” Jaehwan called out, proud of himself. That time, he still had no idea that someday, after few days, he would also have to go to that place. He still had no idea what was awaiting for him in the future. He grinned to himself in content. “Ah… I’m so smart. I helped another person.” He mumbled to himself. 

 

To be continued...


Author's Note: 

Updated! It's VIXX's 4th anniversary yesterday! Congratulations to VIXX and Starlights. Also, today is SHINee's 8th anniversary! Congratulations to SHINee and Shawols as well. ^^

What do you think of Jaehwan? And who do you think is that stranger? (What do you think about the special appearances of Ravi the lizard and Leo the cockroach?) Please point out the mistakes because I was not able to check them.

Like last time, I will also update next week, Wednesday, if I receive 5 comments. If not, I'll update the week after. Thanks for reading and commenting! ^^

Special thanks to all those who commented. And to those who upvoted, marlia91, LeeJi98, Karenkitty1092, Taotic, and Sweatervest_Suhothank you so much! It means a lot to me.