Chapter 1

One Great Escapade

Genius Han Sanghyuk had never imagined himself to be living in a mental hospital. He was the best student and the best son there was. So, why was he sent to a mental hospital? Oh, right, it was because he could be tactless. Why did he tell one of the doctors that he found the mental hospital amazing again? That's right. Because of calling the mental hospital 'amazing' and an 'interesting place to live in' when he came to visit out of curiosity. Apparently, the doctors did not think so and so did the nurses. So, to keep the long story short, they thought that Sanghyuk lost his great, great mind and made him stay at the hospital to observe him within three months. In all honesty, Sanghyuk thought that it was so shallow of the doctors but his parents seemed to be so concerned and did let him stay over. Thinking about it, nothing was really wrong about staying in a mental hospital. What was his problem now? Nothing, just the fact that he had to stay with two people who were possibly out of their minds!

"Do I really have to stay with two people who are possibly out of their minds?" Sanghyuk asked the nurse with him who looked like she was about in her late 60s. He finally got tired of following the nurse as the latter was leading him to his room that was located in the sixth floor. Take n

ote, they had to walk all the way up because the nurse refused to take the elevator, saying that walking was good for the body and mind. "And are you not planning on retiring soon?" He wanted to ask so badly since he arrived but decided not to because the nurse might use it against him. He could not risk anything more.

"Both of them have been staying there for five days already and they have not done anything bad yet. They're both under observation as well, anyway." The nurse replied in her naturally cold voice. "Don't worry, if they did something bad, we'll send you to another room right away or better yet, we'll isolate them." She assured Sanghyuk but it did not do anything good to the boy. After all, he was not sure of what that bad meant and how bad could it be.

"Ah... so you're going to sacrifice my well-being first?" Sanghyuk sarcastically asked but the nurse did not respond. Instead, she just kept on walking. With a groan, the boy followed, finally reaching the sixth level using the deadly stairs. After a few more steps, they reached the room where Sanghyuk would be staying. The boy did not know if he was supposed to be happy that he could finally rest or if he should be scared because of the fact of possibly staying with two crazy people. "How many people are staying in this floor?" He asked the nurse.

"As of now, you're the fifth one but there is one more person to come this day. There are three staying in the room across yours. Like you, they are under observation as well." The nurse answered in a monotone. "Any more questions?" She asked Sanghyuk but she was glaring at the latter, making it obvious enough that she wanted to be asked no more. The boy shook his head, not exactly frightened but still chose to stay safe. Safe had always been better than sorry. "Good. Now, get inside." She said after unlocking the door but not opening it just yet.

Sanghyuk, though he did not admit it, was scared of what was waiting for him behind the door. But then, he had no choice so he turned the doorknob in a painfully slow manner. It irked the nurse so she shoved Sanghyuk aside and opened the door by herself. "T-thank you." Sanghyuk cleared his throat before not-so-confidently entering. Upon entering, he saw a guy who was sitting on one of the beds while playing with his soccer ball. But then, when he noticed Sanghyuk, he immediately looked up with a glare, making Sanghyuk gulp.

"Mr. Jung Taekwoon, he's Han Sanghyuk. He will stay here with you since he's also under observation. Don't scare him that much." The nurse told the scary guy in a bored tone. "Where's Hakyeon?" She asked, looking around.

"Out." The scary guy, Taekwoon, replied in a soft voice but he was still glaring. Sanghyuk recognized him. That Taekwoon guy was the coach of Sanghyuk's favorite soccer team. Sanghyuk had always find the older guy scary as the whole soccer team was scared of him but that coach was even scarier in person! Sanghyuk was not religious but he was now praying to all the saints, angels, and gods for his life.

The nurse rolled her eyes. "Seriously, the other nurses should stop letting him roam around. There's a possibility that he's out of his mind for goodness' sake!" She let out a frustrated groan. But more than her complains, Sanghyuk was more focused on thinking about how to escape from the scary-looking guy. "Anyway, both of you just stay here." The nurse said before leaving, not forgetting to lock the door behind her. She did not know that her simple action scared the hell out of Sanghyuk. She knew nothing.

Taekwoon stood up from his bed, taking a slow yet big steps towards Sanghyuk. His eyes were still piercing at the latter.

Screaming for help, Sanghyuk banged the door. "Wah! Let me out! I'm not crazy!" He cried. "Tell mom and dad that I'll miss them! If I die, bury me with my computer and the new games that I bought!" He added, tearing up like a cry-baby he was.

Taekwoon stopped, coldly staring at Sanghyuk. Each step he took made Sanghyuk's heart beat faster than ever because of fear. Luckily, as if on cue, the door opened widely all of a sudden. A grinning guy who had a tanned skin entered. He looked almost too excited. Because of the guy's expression, Sanghyuk was, once again, reminded that he was in a mental hospital. "Oh, there's a new guy?" The tanned guy asked excitedly.

Taekwoon did not even respond. Instead, he just blinked his eyes before heading back to his bed like nothing happened.

The tanned guy made a face before facing Sanghyuk with a bigger grin. "Hello! My name is Hakyeon. Cha Hakyeon. Welcome to our room." He excitedly introduced himself, shaking Sanghyuk's hand with so much force. Oh, right, that's why he looked familiar to Sanghyuk. The tanned guy was the controversial trot singer who took a break because of depression. What was that guy doing inside a mental institution, though? Never mind... Sanghyuk was not that interested. "How are you doing? Good?" He asked.

Awkwardly, Sanghyuk nodded his head. For some reasons, he had a bad feeling about the trot singer. It was as if his life would be a living hell soon. But Sanghyuk was rarely never a judgemental person so he decided to be cautious yet not judge the guy first. "Y-yes." He awkwardly replied. 

"What's your name? Han Sanghyuk?" Hakyeon asked. It was obvious that Sanghyuk was surprised so Hakyeon continued. "Yesterday, I sneaked into the place where they keep the files and found yours by accident. Don't worry though, I only read up to the name and age. I still respect people's privacy." With that, Taekwoon snorted. He obviously did not believe what Hakyeon said. "Taekwoon! Why did you snort?" Hakyeon asked Taekwoon in a whiny voice. "You've known me for five days! You should know by now how I respect people's privacy." He whined even more. He and Taekwoon arrived on the same day and had been roommates ever since. In Taekwoon's perspective, it was just plain annoying. "Oh, by the way, Sanghyuk." Hakyeon turned his attention back to Sanghyuk, dropping the topic. "I'm your hyung*! Nice, right? I, now, have a younger brother!" He said excitedly.

[* or hyung means 'older brother' or a honorific used my Korean males to address older males.]

"A-ah..."  Sanghyuk just nodded his head before heading to the bed that no one had occupied and started organizing his things.

"Oh!" Hakyeon exclaimed all of a sudden, turning to Taekwoon again. "By the way, Taekwoon, I found a new pet since both Mochi and Pochi are missing." He let out a sigh before pouting. Who was Pochi and Mochi? Oh, nothing. They're just some cockroaches that Hakyeon took from somewhere during their first day in the hospital and kept those two as his pets. Annoyed and tired of hearing Hakyeon talk to cockroaches every five to ten minutes, Taekwoon decided to free the poor pets by flushing them to the toilet. Dead or not, at least they were free. "I got a dog now." Hakyeon announced.

Taekwoon furrowed his eyebrows. "Where did you steal it?" He asked, almost too interested. Though it was not obvious, he was actually a big fan of puppies and cute animals. He was, after all, a big softie. But he was not going to admit that because it might be used against him. Hakyeon might be like that but he was a con artist.

"No, no." Hakyeon said in English, wagging his finger. "I did not steal him. I found him outside. I named him Ken! You and Sanghyuk should go and meet him later at playtime." He excitedly suggested.

"Playtime?" Sanghyuk asked in confusion, looking up from what he was doing. How could there be a playtime? What was this? A kindergarten? No! It's a mental hospital, not a kindergarten. "Do they have playtime in mental hospitals?"

"Oh," Hakyeon shook his head with a smug look on his face. "You have never known this but this place is a bit special. I especially requested to have a playtime for us. Because that's better than having to stay in this boring room, right?"

Sanghyuk was not very sure about that. He could tell that both Hakyeon and Taekwoon were already handful. Sure, the mental hospital was an interesting place but he was not sure if he could deal with the others properly. All he knew was that his life was already doomed the moment he had entered this interestingly scary place.

 

The handsome Lee Hongbin let out a sigh as he watched his two roommates playing fetch inside the room. One of his roommates was named Kim Wonshik. He had this extremely deep voice that made him seem like he came from a cave. This guy arrived one week before Hongbin. The other one was named Lee Jaehwan, a famous yet controversial musical actor. He just arrived around two hours ago. Great. Just when Hongbin thought that living in a mental hospital for one week already would not make him surprised anymore, surprises just kept on coming. A few minutes ago, Hakyeon visited the room like always, and declared that Jaehwan was his new dog. Jaehwan, as an actor, found it a great compliment. To make the story short, Hongbin was not even surprised that Jaehwan and Hakyeon were in a mental hospital. 

But how about him? He's just a handsome young man who makes everyone drool because of his charisma! Was it a sin to be born as a handsome man? He was not crazy but his co-workers decided to framed him because they were envious of him. He let out another sigh, staring at his reflection using a compact mirror. "Lee Hongbin, why do you have to be so handsome?" He asked himself, sadly.

"Why is he talking to himself?" Jaehwan asked Wonshik, not seeming to mind even if Hongbin would hear him.

Wonshik shrugged. "I don't know. He's always like that." He replied, not really caring. He could still clearly remember how Hongbin was holding a compact mirror, talking about his own handsomeness when he first arrived. So, Wonshik was not even surprised anymore. It seemed like Hongbin's narcissism was just that strong. "Anyway, fetch!" Wonshik pointed out before throwing a toy bone towards the opposite direction once again and Jaehwan chased it. Wonshik let out a loud laugh. He had never had so much fun since he arrived more than a week ago. Two people living in the other room, particularly Hakyeon, ruined his life after all. "Ah... so cute." Wonshik cooed when Jaehwan arrived, biting the toy bone.

"Hongbin, why are you so handsome?" Hongbin kept on asking himself, not minding anyone else. But then, his little 'me' time stopped when the bell rang. Some kind of hiphop song was playing and it was annoying. He and Wonshik groaned upon hearing it.

"What's that?" Jaehwan asked, confused yet he started dancing.

"That's an alarm for the playtime." Wonshik answered. "Hakyeon hyung especially chose that. So bothersome." He groaned. "Tell him I'm dead. I don't wanna go out. My sleeping time is more precious than anyone else and anything else." He added. Kim Wonshik arrived earlier than the other guys but it did not mean that he was crazy (the others did not know though). Actually, it was a secret but Wonshik decided to act like he's crazy because he was too lazy to find himself a job. Inside a mental hospital, he was sure that there was a free board and lodging and also free meals. It would be more comfortable to live in one than to live in his house wherein his mom would be nagging him to get a job and get a wife. There was one person who was making him feel annoyed inside that hospital. It was no other than Cha Hakyeon who did nothing but to bother everyone. Wonshik would love to get rid of that guy.

"Tell him that I died of too much handsomeness." Hongbin said, hiding under his thick blankets. He, too, did not like Hakyeon that much. Plus, he disliked being bothered by people. He still had to figure out how to escape from this place. He had to get out soon before he loses his mind for real.

"It's too late to do that." Jaehwan trailed off as the door burst out open, revealing Hakyeon together with two other guys — Taekwoon and Sanghyuk, the latter being unfamiliar to Hongbin and Wonshik while both were unfamiliar to Jaehwan. Sanghyuk looked especially cautious since he would be dealing with more crazy people.

"Let's go to the 'hangout' together!" Hakyeon excitedly clasped his hands together. "Kennie~!" He called out and Jaehwan quickly ran towards him, barking and acting like a dog. Yup, Jaehwan was Hakyeon's new dog. "I named him Ken, isn't he adorable?" Hakyeon told Taekwoon.

Taekwoon glared at Hakyeon. The only reason why he was easily dragged out of the room was because Hakyeon told him that he would see a new adorable dog. In the end, it was just a bluff. Taekwoon must have been insane for he actually believed what Hakyeon said. He swore, next time, he would not believe the boy anymore. While he was glaring, Sanghyuk, on the other hand, just watched quietly. He was questioning life quietly. What was life? What was sanity? He had those sort of questions in his mind. But then, Hakyeon was a trot singer, Taekwoon was a soccer coach. The fact that a musical actor was in a mental institution, acting like a dog, should not be that surprising. However, despite all the annoyance and confusion radiating from both Taekwoon and Sanghyuk, Hakyeon just smiled like always before looking around.

Wonshik closed his eyes, obviously pretending to be fast asleep. He felt too lazy to get up and go to the 'hangout' place that was actually just a place in the middle of the hallway made of cardboard. Hakyeon did that alone when he sneaked out of his room on his second day. It was a surprise that the nurses haven't 'taken care' of it yet. 

"Pretending to sleep won't do you any good and hoping that you're invisible won't help you either." Hakyeon said out loud, obviously addressing to Ravi who was pretending to be asleep and Hongbin who was lying down straight as if to pretend to blend in with the color of his bed.

Groaning, Wonshik and Hongbin sat up. "Fine." They both huffed. The moment Hongbin's face was finally revealed as he removed the blanket that was covering it, Sanghyuk gapped right away. How could one be so handsome? Maybe, he's not a person? Was he an alien? An artwork? A Greek god? The reincarnation of Zeus? Sanghyuk shook his head. It's not the time to admire a flower boy. He was not gay, after all. He's not into guys. But hey, there's nothing wrong with admiring another guy's handsomeness, right? Right, there's no rule that said you can't.

"Now, we should all head to the 'hangout' and get to know each other." Hakyeon said, smiling widely. No one was excited aside from Hakyeon and Jaehwan, who, by now, the others believed had the same mentality. 

Sanghyuk could only watch worriedly. Let us see, there was one weird trot singer, one scary guy, one guy acting like a dog, one walking artwork, and one guy who looked like he did not take a bath in ages (let's keep his name as Kim Wonshik). Could the genius Han Sanghyuk survive in this kind of surrounding?


Author's Note: (Please answer the questions)

First chapter is up! Honestly, I disappointed myself, writing this. I am not satisfied. But it's better to update than not, right? I was planning to update earlier but got too lazy. And this is not proof-read because I want to update as soon as possible. Please point out the mistakes~~~

By the way, I changed the title for some reasons. Tell me which do you prefer, okay? And tell me what you think about this chapter! 

Also, I'm planning on making special chapters (1.5 or something) to show the lives they lived before coming to the mental hospital or how they were put there, would you like that? Lastly, anyone knows a good graphic poster shop? I need a poster for this one. Thanks ^^