Chapter 16

One Great Escapade

Could someone be as dumb as Jaehwan and Hakyeon? Maybe no one could. Those two were record-breakers. If Taekwoon was not too dumbfounded to react, he would have had made a call to the Guinness World Records and perhaps earn something from Hakyeon and Jaehwan’s stupid brains. Or maybe he could just contact a scientist and sell him the brains of the two idiots? Now, that would be a good topic of a new research. They might even start looking for the cure of the uncurable disease of the two.

“Aish!” Sanghyuk was the first one to react, creating a sound of annoyance. Then, he stood up—bumping his own head on the ceiling but he did not care. “We need to hurry!” He told the others before running away. Hongbin did not need to be told twice. He followed Sanghyuk right away and so did Wonshik—who did not really want to escape but would like to kick out Hakyeon from there. Taekwoon, who finally woke up from his trance, followed the suit. Of course, the dumb and dumber did not want to be left behind so they followed the others as well.

Sanghyuk honestly only had one thought in mind at that moment and that was to escape from that dreaded place that he used to admire so much. But life probably hated him just as much—or even more. His heart crumbled because when he finally arrived in front of the gate (after running from the sixth floor to the ground floor just to reach that high gates), Nurse Park was there, locking it with her big padlock. “No!” Sanghyuk exclaimed, panting. He collapsed involuntarily on the ground, questioning his life all over again. Why did he have to like the mental hospital before? Why did he visit that place in the first place? Why did he meet Hakyeon and Jaehwan? Why were those two so dumb to the point that it was scary? Those questions did not have answers, even Sanghyuk’s genius brain could not find the right response.

“We’re too late.” Hongbin uttered, his voice was filled with disappointment. He really thought that he would be able to vacate that hospital. But there he was, staring at Nurse Park as if she screwed his life all over again—which she seriously did every single day.

Nurse Park stared at the six guys as if an elephant’s trunk just grew on their foreheads. “What’s wrong with the six of you? It’s your playtime, right? You should be in that piece of junk hang out place that you made with woods. Who gave you permission to come down here?” She reprimanded them but she was, as usual, ignored as if she was the insane one.

“This old woman just ruined my dream of getting rid of Hakyeon hyung!” Wonshik complained. “I thought that I would be able to get rid of him and that I would start living peacefully once again.” He added, huffing in the process. People used to tell him that he was dumb. But at the moment, Wonshik would like to find those people and introduce them to Jaehwan and Hakyeon. Then, he would laugh his out as he would ask “Hah! Who’s dumb now, you fools?!”. But then, that would be too cruel towards Jaehwan so he would just introduce Hakyeon to them.

Nurse Park scoffed. “How about you go back to your wards now before I screw your lives all over again?” She asked, raising an eyebrow as she asked.

“As if you haven’t screwed it up enough.” Wonshik scoffed but Nurse Park did not hear it—to the former’s relief. He would not want to get caught or that would turn his life into a living hell even more.

“Ah, by the way, you have to hurry up to your wards because Dr. Choi would come for a visit. Unlike what I told you earlier, he decided to have a surprise visit. I am not supposed to tell you this but I so want to get rid of you soon.” Nurse Park informed the six guys.

“If you’re that desperate to let us out, how about letting us leave this place right now?” Like a sly fox, the genius Sanghyuk suggested. “Wouldn’t that cause you no trouble at all? You can already comfortably rest and your heart can calm down too, knowing that we are gone from your life for all eternity.” He said as dramatically as he could—having a musical actor as a roommate was not so bad at all.

Nurse Park snorted. “Nice try, kid. But if I do that, I might lose my job. In addition to that, if you have gone missing, wouldn’t they come looking for you and put you back in here? Unless you want that to happen, you should just do really well later during Dr. Choi’s visit. Also, answer the psychology test properly.” She firmly stated.

Hongbin let out a sigh. “All right. Guys, let’s head back to our wards because the hot sun is so not helping my skin at all. It’s might cause me many pimples, who knows?” He said with a frown.

 

“We should do well now or we would have no choice but to follow my suggestion.” Sanghyuk told the older ones as the six of them once again gathered inside the cheap hangout. “Because I really think that my suggestion is much more foolproof that Hakyeon hyung’s and Jaehwan hyung’s failed plan.”

“No, I was pretty sure that my plan was foolproof!” Hakyeon argued. “I think I just miscalculated my moves a little.” He reasoned out.

Taekwoon glared at Hakyeon—as he always did. “It would have had been a better plan if you two—” He aggressively pointed at both Hakyeon and Jaehwan, not caring anymore if he hit his head a lot of times. “—aren’t so stupid! What? Beat up the guards and destroy the locks?! You could have just walked away, you fools!” He screamed at them, his patience already reached its limit.

All of the boys froze upon hearing Taekwoon’s loud voice. It was not something that they would hear every day so it took quite a long time for them to process the event in their minds. It was Hakyeon—unexpectedly—who reacted first. His lips curved into a smile. “Aigoo, our Woonie is talking so much now, I’m so proud.”

“Dang it! I should have had brought my recorder with me!” Sanghyuk exclaimed, groaning a bit in disappointment. “If only I knew that this would happen… aish!”

Taekwoon could only wince in annoyance as he shut his eyes tight and pinched the bridge of his nose. In his head, he was praying all the gods of all religions in six different languages that even he could not understand. It seemed funny to anyone who would hear about it but Taekwoon was already very desperate. It was almost as if he was going to die if he were to stay at the hospital longer. “Let’s… just act like some normal people and answer those papers properly. Let’s live our own lives.” Upon saying that, he crawled out of the small hangout and went to the ward that he shared with both Hakyeon and Sanghyuk.

“Is he angry? Does he not know that he can have wrinkles because of stressing himself?” Hongbin, of course, said something like that as he tapped his face as if inspecting if he were still handsome or not.

Jaehwan shrugged his shoulders. “Beats me. That hyung had always been the scary one. I don’t even see any reason for him to be angry. He just said that we are fools!”

Sanghyuk nodded his head. “Of course you are a fool, hyung.” He said with an innocent smile playing on his lips. “But I did not expect that he would blow up like that.”

“Zzzz…” Wonshik responded with his signature snore while he was lying flat on his stomach on the floor.

“Is he…” Hakyeon started, his eyes were teary. “Leaving me just like how Leo left me? I knew they resembled each other so much! They’re both full of charisma. They both treated me like nothing but cared for me like I was everything. But then, they both left me hanging.” He said, his tears were falling continuously from his eyes.

Jaehwan gasped upon hearing what Hakyeon had said. “Hyung…” He trailed off, his eyes widened in surprise. “Hyung!” He exclaimed. “Isn’t that the piece that I used in my audition?”

“You like it? I had to change some of the words to make it more realistic though. I guess I forgot to tell you but I used to like you very much. You’re a good actor.” Hakyeon complimented Jaehwan, sounding like a proud father who was complimenting his good-for-nothing-son who finally found something that he was good at after years of searching.

“Aw… you~” Jaehwan tried to act cute by playfully pointing his index fingers towards Hakyeon and winking in the process. Hakyeon, having the same mentality as the former, returned the cringeworthy gesture.

Both Sanghyuk and Hongbin shivered at the scene that unfolded in front of them. It was something that was nightmare-inducing. Wonshik was just so fortunate that he was asleep—partly because he would just get jealous because of his favorite friend was playing with someone else. “I can’t take this anymore. I’m going to head to our ward.” Sanghyuk said, pretending to throw up.

“Me too.” Hongbin nodded his head, the judging look he sent towards Jaehwan and Hakyeon was totally ignored. “But Sanghyuk,” He started, shifting his attention from the weird duo to the youngest. “Will you be okay there alone? I mean, you’ll be stuck with an angry Taekwoon hyung then later, an annoying Hakyeon hyung would surely come to screw your life all over again.” As he spoke, his concern was evident in his voice.

Sanghyuk shook his head, smiling even though the thought sent so much shiver through his spine. “I’ll be fine. If they try to do something stupid, I will just remind them that this may be our last straw to leave this place or we’ll have to stick to my plan.”

“What’s your plan anyway?” Hakyeon chimned in, excitedly.

“Yeah, what’s your plan?” Jaehwan chirped as if he had no idea so Sanghyuk threw him a look. “What?” The former blankly asked when he noticed the kind of look that Sanghyuk was giving him.

Sanghyuk shook his head, knowing that Jaehwan would never understand him or what he was trying to tell by his eyes. “It’s nothing. My plan was to dress up as girls actually. And Jaehwan hyung, you know that since you found the costumes with me, right?”

“I did?!” Jaehwan exclaimed in a voice of an old lady, his eyes widening in surprise.

“But that’s a great idea!” Hakyeon spoke up, liking the idea of him wearing a dress. “If you decided to do that, can I dress up as Sunmi of Wonder Girls?” He excitedly asked. “I really, really like the dance of her song, 24 hours. Don’t you think that I will… you know… look kinda hot dancing that?”

Sanghyuk winced when a sudden imagination hit his head—for some reasons, it was him and the other five (yes, including the mighty Jung Taekwoon) dancing to Wonder Girls. It was not a pleasant thought and he did not want to see it or hear of it any longer. “I am leaving now before my mind gets corrupted.” He said before abruptly standing up and leaving the cheap hangout—and, of course, he just had to bump his head in the process.

 

Two weeks of going through a series of tests and answering thousands of questions (while trying not to scare the doctor) , Dr. Choi finally called the six guys to his office. He had segregated the papers carefully, with five papers on his right and one on his left. “Five of you improved a lot. One of you… not so much. But I am glad to announce that five of you would be able to leave this place in three days.” He announced, seeming like a proud teacher who was talking to his students.

The six guys gulped all together. Someone was going to stay and no one wanted that—except for Wonshik who wanted to be left in that paradise where there was free food and room. Hakyeon, on the other hand, had his fingers crossed and eyes closed, hoping that he would be one of the five people who would leave the detestable place. He was so ready to make his comeback in the trot world. He was almost certain that his fans were waiting for his return. Jaehwan was also ready to get his career back on track. He was pouting as he prayed inside his head. The world of musical plays needed him so bad. He needs to save that world because he was heroic like that. Taekwoon was no different as he sat there with his emotionless face. If he were able to leave as soon as possible, he would go back to his team and save those idiots from losing against the other team called Bluefish—that team was the biggest rival of Taekwoon’s Royal Azalea. Unlike the four guys, Sanghyuk and Hongbin were much calmer. Hongbin was just trying to look handsome while sitting and Sanghyuk was already sure that he would be able to leave the hospital in three days.

“The one who would be staying is… Mr. Kim Wonshik.” Dr. Choi finally announced. “I’m so sorry, Mr. Kim Wonshik, you did well. I actually thought that among the six of you, you’d be the first time to leave but after you howled and screamed and barked, I decided to let you stay here for a little longer.”

“Oh… it’s okay.” Wonshik replied, trying to not make his bright smile so obvious. He was relieved. He had to learn from Jaehwan all those things just so he would be able to stay.

The other five guys felt like they have just won the lottery. Finally, after weeks of staying in such a chaotic place, they would be able to leave! “So, can we leave this stuffy room now? So that we can pack our things?” Hakyeon asked, sounding so excited.

“Of course, you can.” Dr. Choi replied with a fatherly smile—although anyone could tell that behind that was a feeling of relief because five of the six migraine-inducing patients would leave already.

After bidding their goodbyes to the doctor, the six guys left the room. “I’m so happy! I can go out and buy tons and tons and tons of beauty products! I think that my wrinkles doubled ever since I came to this place. I’m so glad that I can leave now and leave all the germs and bad things behind.” Hongbin was the first one to blabber the moment they left the room of the doctor.

“I am just so happy that I would be able to buy tons and tons and tons of gopchang now! I can fight for my love once again.” Sanghyuk happily stated. “I’ll go back to college and challenge my professors once again. I’ll see if they can answer my questions now.” He added, smiling cheekily.

“As for me, wait for my return in the scene of trot music. I’ll make another hit song and will be even more famous.” Hakyeon boastfully said, his smile was bigger than that of Sanghyuk.

“Weren’t you famous only for your scandals though?” Wonshik bluntly asked but was ignored by Hakyeon. “Anyway, just return to where you came from and don’t ever bother me here again.”

“Don’t worry, arf!” Jaehwan barked while acting cutely by sending hearts to Wonshik with his finger. “I will visit you here every day, Wonshikkie! But not when I have musical schedules because I am sure that the cast and crews would cast me again the moment they find out that I was released.”

“Woonie, how about you? What are you planning to do?” Hakyeon asked as the six of them entered the elevator all together. “At least tell us so we don’t have to guess. Tell me if you still feel something about me so that I won’t have to figure everything out on my own… so that I won’t hurt myself anymore.”

The five guys gave Hakyeon a judging look which he gladly ignored so Taekwoon spoke up, knowing that Hakyeon really did not care whether he sounded like a normal being or not. Plus, Taekwoon knew that he would just have to deal with Hakyeon for three more days and that was bearable enough. “I plan on continuing soccer. My Royal Azalea team needs me if they want to win over that Bluefish team.” He answered Hakyeon’s question, his tone was a bit bitter due to the fact that his team already lost once so the fans wanted him to return right away to save the most valuable soccer team of the nation.

In no time, the six of them reached the sixth floor through the elevator. Sanghyuk could not help but to recall the time when he first came, when he had to use the stairs just to reach the sixth floor. He was feeling nostalgic but he shook the thought off. When the doors of the elevator opened, their cheap hangout welcomed them. Wonshik was reminded of how it was supposedly Taekwoon’s idea. He was also reminded of how he was forced to help in building it. Funny how both the foolish Hakyeon and the stupid Jaehwan could manipulate others. Did that make Wonshik dumber than them? How he hoped not because he would certainly escape—only if he wanted to—if he were to see the gates open without any guards around it unlike the two idiots.

“I can’t believe that we would be leaving our hangout like this so easily.” Hakyeon sighed, staring at the wooden hangout place with his eyes full of longing. “Wonshik, please take good care of it for me.” He told Wonshik, tears started to fill his eyes. “I guess this is it. This would be our goodbye. All the memories that we had here, everything, will end here.” He muttered but loud enough for everyone to hear.

The five guys were quiet, they knew that Hakyeon could be very emotional. But that time, it was different. Nostalgia hit each one of them. Taekwoon recalled how Sanghyuk looked so scared when they first met, how the younger male pleaded for his life to be spared. Then, he remembered how the angel-like kid turned into a devil who locked him with Hakyeon (not to forget that handcuffs that brought them trouble because of a certain Lee Hongbin). He also thought back of the time that he would like to forget—how he apologized to Hakyeon.

Hongbin was also hit by his memories. He remembered how he only used to care about his looks—well, he still cared for his looks but he learned to open up to others. He smiled upon remembering when he first met Hakyeon, Taekwoon, Wonshik, Jaehwan and Sanghyuk. Though not everything was a good memory (especially the part where there was Hakyeon in it), he would still smile at the memory. He did not mean to be emotional, not when he was anticipating for the day of his escape to come. But he did not know that it would be that sad. Separations should be easy but why did he suddenly feel empty? He looked at each one of the five other males. He did not want to let them go. But maybe, they were all meant to go on their own ways. Why? Well, for them, it’s already a goodbye.


 

Author's Note: (The End?)

I know... I've been gone for too long and I hate it. Almost two months and no update? And when I updated, it's not as funny as before. Unforgivable, right? LMAO

But don't worry, I still have some things in my mind so... this is not yet the end. I wrote this chapter like that just because lol. I'll come back next week because something has too happen next week, it's something special.

Special thanks to all those who commented. And to those who upvoted, marlia91, LeeJi98, Karenkitty1092, Taotic, Sweatervest_Suhohongbeann, love_kris, Hala-bear, Zhuchu, Lola20, pink_baekbaek, vixxcha, Uvichan1, and nam-seok thank you so much! It means a lot to me.