Chapter 9

One Great Escapade

“Woonie, are you still mad at me?” Hakyeon asked Taekwoon once again. It was a typical morning—the sun was shining brightly, the patients but the six friends were quiet, the nurses were busy doing their thing. Everything was typical except for the fact that Taekwoon was mad at Hakyeon and the former did not know what to do. Hey, he was a bit forgetful—blame his age—so if he forgot something, you could not blame him too much. But Taekwoon did not go by that principle. He blamed Hakyeon for his misfortune. Taekwoon glared at Hakyeon before continuing to do what he was originally doing—playing with the soccer ball. Sanghyuk, who was sitting on his bed, was snickering at Hakyeon’s misfortune.

The three of them were inside their room. After the handcuffs incident, Taekwoon forgave Sanghyuk and the rest with the condition that Sanghyuk would have to stay in the room with him and Hakyeon. Taekwoon did not want to be the only one stuck with Hakyeon. He wanted someone to suffer with him—he was no saint, all right? But Taekwoon did not forgive Hakyeon for ruining his life. He had to feed the boy, accompany him in the toilet, and many more when they could have just unlocked the handcuffs in the beginning. Why did Hakyeon have to be careless and cause both of them to suffer?

“Hyukkie, how can you still snicker at my state?” Hakyeon whined to Sanghyuk, walking over to the younger guy. “It’s been four days and Taekwoon is still mad at me. What did I even do wrong?” He asked. “It’s not like I forgot about it on purpose. It just slipped off of my mind. I did not forget just because I wanted to be stuck with him for a long time—sounds tempting but I knew Taekwoon would be mad at me.”

“Now you’re being like Jaehwan hyung.” Sanghyuk gave Hakyeon a look. “Next time, we will see you eating a box of cereal inside the cabinet.” He added, making a weird face.

“What is wrong with eating a cereal inside of a cabinet?” Hakyeon returned Sanghyuk’s look as if Sanghyuk was the weird one and he and Jaehwan were the normal ones—which was not the case. “Also, let’s stick to the topic, okay? Taekwoon is always looking at me like he wants to murder me and feed my organs to cockroaches!” He complained to Sanghyuk as if Taekwoon was not listening from the other bed. “I have to make it up to him before he really does that.”

Sanghyuk shrugged his shoulders, not really caring that much. Hakyeon was stubborn so Sanghyuk was pretty sure that the eldest could find a way to reconcile with Taekwoon. “You can do it by yourself, hyung.” Sanghyuk told Hakyeon. “The worst that can happen to you right now is to die which I think won’t happen to you just yet.” He gave the older a reassuring smile—though it looked innocent, the glint of his eyes only hinted evilness and nothing else.

Hakyeon sighed. He knew he could get nothing out of Sanghyuk because the boy was being cruel. “Ah!” He exclaimed when an idea had entered his mind. With an excited smile, he turned to Taekwoon. “How about I think of a perfect escape plan for escape, Woonie?”

Taekwoon looked at Hakyeon, a bit interested with the topic that the guy had just opened up. He nodded his head once as if motioning Hakyeon to continue speaking. Hakyeon, of course, was happy because of this improvement. It took him three days to succeed making Taekwoon stop glaring at him.

“I afraid that it’s not even that easy. Nurse Park guards the gates like a well-trained K9.” Hakyeon’s happiness was short-lived because Sanghyuk was there to ruin things for him. “The last time I and the hyungs planned to escape, we were unmercilessly caught.” Sanghyuk added.

“You tried escaping without us?” Taekwoon glared at Sanghyuk upon realization.

Sanghyuk grinned sheepishly. Indeed, the way to catch a fish was through his own mouth. Sanghyuk was caught through his own mouth too. “Well, hyung, I can explain. Escaping from this place is very tempting, right? And last time, I and the other hyungs were tempted.” He explained. “Plus, what we were doing last time was a trial and error. It’s for your sake too.” He lied. Of course, that was not the case. That was never the case to Sanghyuk, the little devil.

“Aw… That’s so touching to hear!” Hakyeon turned to Sanghyuk and hugged the younger boy as tight as he could. “You’ve grown a lot. I’m so proud of you.” He said like a proud mother he thought he was. Unlike Hakyeon, Taekwoon did not believe Sanghyuk’s lie. He knew that if Sanghyuk had succeeded then, he would not even come back. He was not wrong but he was not exactly right either. Of course, Sanghyuk had tried to escape for some selfish reasons but he came back for his hyungs—that’s the thing that Taekwoon had find really difficult to believe in.

Sanghyuk made a face, trying to remove himself from Hakyeon’s iron hug. “Hyung, hyung, I understand that you’re touched and all but please let go of me now.” He said when he failed from freeing himself.

“Let go of the kid, Hakyeon.” Taekwoon muttered.

Hakyeon let go of Sanghyuk (who started breathing like a desperate fish to restore his breath) and made a face at Taekwoon, pretending to be angry. “And now, you’re talking to me after ignoring me for so long?” He asked, sounding like a girl on her period. He obviously just wanted to be cooed by Taekwoon but that was not going to happen. Taekwoon rolled his eyes and his attention went back to the soccer ball that was on his hands.

The bell rang, signaling that the time for their hangout had came. Taekwoon stood up from his bed almost too immediately. He desperately wanted to stay away from Hakyeon. He really got sick of the latter after being forced to stay beside him for two days staright without a rest. He tried to ask Hongbin and the others if they could take him in but Hakyeon blackmailed the kids that he would come with Taekwoon so the others naturally refused to take Taekwoon in.

“Why are you rushing, Woonie?” Hakyeon asked Taekwoon, completely forgetting about acting like an angry girlfriend. It was the obvious proof that he really did have a bad memory.

“It’s none of your business.” Taekwoon muttered sharply in reply, glaring at Hakyeon as usual. Sanghyuk was honestly worried about Taekwoon’s eyes. They might pop out soon if he kept on glaring at everyone like that. However, being the nice kid he wasn’t, Sanghyuk just chose to keep quiet.

Hakyeon flinched. “Taekwoonie, can’t you just forgive me? If Leo were here, he would forgive me no matter what I did to him. He would surely understand how bad my memory is right now.”

“Who is Leo?” Sanghyuk asked, confused.

“Oh, Leo is my best friend, the love of my life, and my family.” Hakyeon replied to Sanghyuk’s question, teary-eyed. “He had always been there for me no matter what it was. He had been my crying shoulder.”

“No one cares about that cockroach. And that cockroach does not care about you.” Taekwoon snapped before heading to the door and leaving the room without even looking at the crying Hakyeon.

Hakyeon cried upon hearing what Taekwoon said. “No! You’re wrong! I care about Leo! I care about him and he cares about me too!” He cried even though Taekwoon already left the room. Sanghyuk, who was unfortunate enough to be left behind, gulped before standing beside Hakyeon and patting the latter’s back. Sanghyuk did not know how to deal with men crying over a person(?) who probably left the world already.

“Uh… hyung, stop crying… please.” Sanghyuk whispered the ‘please’. He really was begging already. He wanted to get out of the room and just leave Hakyeon alone to cry but despite being a devil, the kid had a conscience too. He felt guilty towards people too—though it was rarer than Wonshik being awake.

“I could feel it, Sanghyuk. I could feel that Leo cared about me as much as I cared about him.” Hakyeon continued to cry. “Why is Taekwoon being so cruel to me? Why is he trying to taint my relationship with Leo?” He asked, sobbing. “What did I do to deserve all of this?”

No, what did I do to deserve all of this? Sanghyuk wanted to ask as he awkwardly pat Hakyeon’s back. He had no idea what Hakyeon was even crying about. “Hyung, don’t you want to get out of the room now and meet the other hyungs?” He asked. For some odd reasons, Sanghyuk felt like he was the son of two couples who were fighting. It was like the husband—Taekwoon—was very insensitive while the wife—Hakyeon—was uselessly sensitive. Then, there was the son—Sanghyuk—who would try his best to fix his parents relationship. He cringe at the cringe-worthy thought. He could not even imagine that happening.

“No, I’m fine.” Hakyeon wiped his tears with the back of his hands. “I’ll be fine here. Go and meet them if you want. I don’t want to see Taekwoon and I don’t want to talk to him ever again.”

Sanghyuk shrugged his shoulders. He believed that Hakyeon would be fine in a few minutes anyway. “Okay, hyung, I’ll just head to our ‘hangout’ with the other hyungs.” He said, heading to the door.

“By the way,” Hakyeon called Sanghyuk’s attention. “Tell Woonie that I am upset with him and that I won’t talk to him ever again. I won’t even meet his eyes.” He said.

Sanghyuk fought the urge to roll his eyes. Of course, Hakyeon still wanted to be consoled by Taekwoon until the end. Why was Sanghyuk not surprised at all?

 

“Taekwoon hyung, Hakyeon hyung is crying. He told me to tell you that he’s upset with you and that he would not even talk to you anymore. He also swore that he wouldn’t meet your eyes.” Though it was against his will, Sanghyuk decided to tell Taekwoon the moment he arrived at the ‘hangout’.

“Hakyeon hyung is upset?” Hongbin furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. “But being upset is not good for the skin. It will cause him wrinkles and pimples. Blackheads are also a big problem. He’s not as handsome as me but he should still take care of his face.” He commented. Even though Sanghyuk really liked Hongbin, he could not help but wonder if Hongbin was secretly a beauty expert or something.

Wonshik, who was unbelievably awake, looked at Taekwoon in confusion. “Did the two of you fight? I mean, you are mad at him and I’m not even surprised but how come he’s upset?” He asked, curiousity was bugging him. Taekwoon just shrugged in response, seemingly happy to hear the news that Hakyeon would not talk to him anymore. It would be like a beautiful dream inside of a beautiful dream.

“But I think it will only last for a few minutes. I mean, we all know how Hakyeon hyung is.” Sanghyuk was really an expert in ruining people’s happiness—especially Taekwoon’s and Hakyeon’s. “I think that when we come back to the room, he will jump on you again and keep on apologizing once again.” He added. “On the brighter side though, he does seem pretty upset so he might really leave you alone. He was crying about his Leo or Lio or whoever was that person.”

Jaehwan gasped dramatically, looking at Taekwoon. “Oh, no! You talked badly about Leo? Do you know how important Leo is for Hakyeon hyung? Do you know how much Leo suffered to be a very charismatic cockroach?! No, you don’t! You only think about yourself!”

After Jaehwan’s dramatic line was a three second silence before Wonshik decided to break it. “What are you even talking about, Jaehwan hyung?” Wonshik asked.

Jaehwan grinned sheepishly before shrugging. “Oh, I don’t know.” Then, he pointed at his chest. “I just… my heart feels like it should talk. It’s like I have to fight for what I think is right. Only then, would I be able to start the change that I have always wanted. I realized that I don’t want to study History and just watch, I want to be part of it. I want to be the reason why we have school text books.” He dreamily said, looking at the distance in a very dramatic way. He looked like a character for a play, seriously. On the side note, he was a musical actor so perhaps it was a normal happening for him.

“What now? Is he campaigning?” Hongbin asked, giving Jaehwan a weirded out look.

“But let’s get back to the topic.” Wonshik interrupted. “Hyung,” He turned to Taekwoon. “Hakyeon hyung is mad at you and he would ignore you. How did you do that? Share your secret to me and I shall be your right hand for life.” Being someone who hated Hakyeon from the beginning, Wonshik wanted the guy to ignore him as well.

Taekwoon just shrugged in reply. He was too happy to care about anyone else. He was finally free from Hakyeon and that guy’s annoying nature! Now, the only problem he would have was how to escape from the mental hospital, which he believed was something he could solve as long as he had an evil genius by his side. There would be no problems and complications for him.

“So, you’re not going to speak and just shrug because you’re happy?” Wonshik asked but received no response from the very happy latte-lover.

“He looks like he just hit the jackpot in a lottery.” Hongbin pointed out. “How long will his happiness last, I wonder? Hakyeon hyung seems like a tough competition. He won’t let anyone get off the hook easily. I bet Jaehwan hyung’s Special K cereal that Hakyeon hyung would start annoying Taekwoon hyung later.” He said, earning himself a glare from Taekwoon.

“What does my cereal have to do with this?” Jaehwan asked, protecting his cereal—the love of his life.

“I bet gopchang with Wonshik hyung’s money that Hakyeon hyung will annoy Taekwoon hyung sooner than later.” Sanghyuk told Hongbin, ignoring Jaehwan.

“Hey! I don’t even have money!” Wonshik protested. The reason why he decided to go to the mental hospital was money. So, why on Earth did Sanghyuk have to bet using his money? But then again, Sanghyuk was right anyway. Even the fact that Hakyeon was breathing was annoying. “Never mind. I know that you will win anyway.” Wonshik muttered to Sanghyuk.

Jaehwan pouted a bit, thinking. “Well then, I bet with Sanghyuk’s and Hongbin’s bets that Taekwoon hyung will be the first one to talk to Hakyeon hyung in a day or two… or a few days. But yeah, he’ll be the one to talk first.” He said, grinning proudly to himself.

Wonshik, Hongbin, and Sanghyuk made sounds of disapproval while Taekwoon just gave Jaehwan a look. There was no way that he was going to do that. Since the first time he arrived to the mental hospital, his only goal was to get rid of Hakyeon. He wanted a break from the annoying guy. There’s no way that he was going to let such an opportunity pass. He had no guilt towards Hakyeon. He did not care about Hakyeon and/or the cockroach named Leo. Yup, Jaehwan was dreaming while awake. He was being weird as usual. Taekwoon would never ever be the one to console Hakyeon or talk to that guy first.


Author's Note: (Help?)

I feel like I have a lot of catching up to do with VIXX (still not able to watch their new guestings...) So, if you know any new guestings (with or without English subs) kindly tell me. I have been busy with life—I never thought that the day when I would say this would come but it did. LOL So, yeah, any new shows or whatever? I'll wait while watching their guesting in ASC~

Special thanks to all those who commented. And to those who upvoted, marlia91, LeeJi98, Karenkitty1092, Taotic, Sweatervest_Suho, hongbeann, love_kris, Hala-bear and Zhuchu thank you so much! It means a lot to me.